JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

Version3, that is much better. Great job!

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

Thanks Scott-Livingston and Frank0314.

I changed my work flow for this one and it turned out to be a lot easier than my previous attempt.

After loading the figure and reference pic, I set up the camera then locked the rotation.

Posed the figure moving the camera on the X, Y and Z axis to see the reference. When I was happy with the pose I loaded the props and moved them around to fit the character using the perspective views, meaning that Vicky and the camera never moved.

In my first attempt I moved the character to fit the prop and couldn't get the camera back to just the right place.

Hope this helps someone

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2012

Still finishing up my first entry, but I thought I'd show my progress so far on my second entry. Still quite a bit of work to do on the poses, especially that of the "God" figure. Um, I don't need to censor my reference picture, do I?

creation-of-adam-800.jpg
    800 x 411 - 137K
    genesis1a.jpg
    800 x 411 - 230K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Another angle of the "Adam" figure.

genesis1b.jpg
    800 x 800 - 313K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited July 2012

Still finishing up my first entry, but I thought I'd show my progress so far on my second entry. Still quite a bit of work to do on the poses, especially that of the "God" figure. Um, I don't need to censor my reference picture, do I?

You do good work, only a few things about this one.:)
    This Adam figure lie actual a little bit lazy and his arm relies on his knee.
    The second figure is reaching his finger to the first figures hand/finger.
    You need also twist first figure’s hand.
    Don’t forget the fingers from the second person.
    Post edited by Sasje on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

No we will allow your refrence image as is, but you will obviously have to "clothe" adam in your finished render, as well as the "god" figure.
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Scott, those are really good. I love them so much I'm having a hard time even looking for issues.

edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone! :)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Adams hips are more planar to the camera, and his upper body isn't bent back in the reference image. The upper character's upper torso is actually turned slightly towards Adam, his left arm goes back more, and his right hand is pointing ofc.

Those are all minor adjustments though, the overall image looks great :)

• kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

I know it is late in the day but thought I would have a go as I have only ever used pose presets before.

Any comments welcome.

20120722_spin_002.png
    544 x 800 - 416K
    mirai-coc-210.jpg
    415 x 610 - 32K
    edited July 2012

Very nice, only thing I see atm is the hands make a heart shaped form over her head and her shoulders aren't quite as low in the reference image. Oh, and might want bend her left foot slightly so that more of the flat of her foot is showing. Otherwise it looks great. Camera angle, bend at the hips (well might have to adjust slightly after bringing the shoulders up,) arm and leg position all look good to me :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited July 2012

I know it is late in the day but thought I would have a go as I have only ever used pose presets before.

Any comments welcome.

Looks very good only a few things, the things what Gedd said and I saw your upper body/chest is to far too the ground.
    You need to bend you're upper body/chest more straight / horizontal.
    Post edited by Sasje on
  • deloquenciadeloquencia Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Hello,

here is my first draft for this months contest. Brief Encounter, Scene 1
    What do you think? All comments and ideas for improving the pose are welcome :)

Brief-Encounters-1-WIP.jpg
    750 x 500 - 48K
    Brief-Encounters-1_Reference-Image.jpg
    750 x 500 - 18K
    edited July 2012

Very nice :)

• deloquenciadeloquencia Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Hello again :)

here is my second draft - the male counterpart to the previous one. Brief Encounter, Scene 2
    The reference images from the first and second scene are from the Paul Taylors Dance Company.

What do you think? Any comments and ideas how I could improving the pose are very welcome.
    Thanks for your time - I appreciate it

Brief-Encounters-2-WIP.jpg
    750 x 500 - 61K
    Brief-Encounters-2_Reference-Image.jpg
    750 x 500 - 23K
    edited December 1969

Hello,

here is my first draft for this months contest. Brief Encounter, Scene 1
    What do you think? All comments and ideas for improving the pose are welcome :)

Nothing to say looks good to me.
    edited July 2012

Also very nice :)

edited July 2012

Pictures are all looking great :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Dont you just love the end of the month? All the great stuff we get to see as people get ready to enter is just fun.

I can add nothing, any help needed has been covered. Good work from all.

edited July 2012

deloquencia you’re second picture is also very nice.
    Good work

Post edited by Sasje on
    edited December 1969

deloquencia, I don't see much for you to adjust. Good job.

• kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments Gedd and Sasje hopefully the included changes are for the better.
    Also it is a lot harder than I thought you really need multiple references, the arms in the render in my previous post were going in two different directions.
    Here's the updated version.

mirai-coc-210.jpg
    415 x 610 - 32K
    20120722_spin_003.png
    544 x 800 - 203K
    edited December 1969

kurisu2112 that is awsome. I don't see anything but super minor tweaks that really dont matter IMHO.

edited December 1969

Kirusu2112 that's much much better.:-)
    Good work.

edited July 2012

The final version of my first entry has been posted to the contest forum. Thought I'd post here as well and add some commentary.

In many respects I tried to get as close as possible to the scene in the reference image, but in a few ways I intentionally deviated from it. The most obvious of these are probably the photorealistic look with depth of field (rather than the painterly look); and the number, position, and appearance of the antagonists. I wanted them to look more human and more individualized; less monstrous (but still frightening). I also wanted to make sure that they weren't blocking the central figure, so that the full pose can be viewed.

I rendered the foreground and background separately, adding a sky backdrop (from Light Dome Pro) to the background render and rendering the foreground as a PNG. I used identical lighting (one of the presets in Lantios Lights 2) in both. In GIMP, I added a Gaussian blur to the background and composited the two together as layers.

Some of the key products I used: Michael 5 (used to an extent on all four figures), Medieval Male Peasant Clothing for the tunic (retextured using the MachPack), DragonLord for Genesis for the other figures' outfits, Build Your Own Sword Kit, Supersuit (shader applied to the central character's sword), Genesis Ranger (boots) and Parkside Point Ground (used for all the rocks and mountains--I loaded three instances and scaled and positioned them in various ways).

Skin textures used, from left to right: Ashley for M5, Elite Philip, Aiden for M5, Stefan for M4 and Genesis.

highking3i.jpg
    618 x 800 - 246K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

I really like it. Like was already stated it don't have to be identical to the reference you are allowed artistic freedom.

edited December 1969

Scott-Livingston that is one NICE render. You made a picture to be proud of. And thank you for explaining some of the steps you used, others may wish to look into them after they see what can be done with those techniques.

edited December 1969

Thanks! :cheese:

edited December 1969

Ok, I'm stuck. I was creating a pose with two characters and after finishing the first, I saved the file. Continuing on, I hid the first and started working on the second. After working on it a bit, DS started acting wonky so I saved the file, closed DS and reopened the second file. After a while, I went to unhide the first character and... it wasn't there. I'm guessing because it seems I read that DS won't save hidden items?

So ok, luckily I had saved the second under another name, so I saved the pose, reopened the first and saved that pose and after opening a 3d new file tried to apply the poses. No luck, The poses apply but are nowhere near the original pose, I'm guessing because I had to turn limits off for these poses. After going back and forth, trying to save as pose preset and pose file I was getting nowhere. I'm guessing the limits is the issue, but I've applied other poses where I was asked if I wanted limits on or off, and I'm not getting that option either on save or open. So could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

On another note, I've applied some shaping to the characters, just in the face iirc. I'm guessing that might not get saved with the pose. I would like to save the character, the pose, basically to know what the various options are and how they work.

Thanks

edited December 1969

Are both files saved as scenes? If so, you should be able to merge one scene into another.