Invisible grouping bug??? and one possible solution

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Working on a dress mesh which normally does not cause any problems happened across something odd.

Couldn't use the brushes without crashing the program. Brushes worked fine - on other mesh in the same project. Just not on the WIP.
So ??? It was reminding me so much of that ship I was trying to build that kept crashing for no reason I could discover. But this was just a dress and like WHY????

So before I threw Hexagon and the computer out the window, thought to try something and it WORKED.

Exported out the WIP as .obj
Opened D/S and imported in said .obj file.
Exported it right back out as .obj
Imported it back into the Hexagon project.

SURPRISE!!!!

It was GROUPED!!!!

It should not have been grouped but it was.

So I ungrouped it and then the mesh was once again workable.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited March 2014

And the last 2 pics.

007.png
    1498 x 845 - 166K
    006.png
    587 x 612 - 80K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi Patience:)

Did you check for n-gons at all? In our investigation of causes for crashing when simply touching the mesh some time ago when Afriaginame still frequented the forum, we found that this was caused by twisted N-gons. The only way to fix was to export to Studio and bring it back as an .obj.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Hi Patience:)

Did you check for n-gons at all? In our investigation of causes for crashing when simply touching the mesh some time ago when Afriaginame still frequented the forum, we found that this was caused by twisted N-gons. The only way to fix was to export to Studio and bring it back as an .obj.

Yes I had checked for, and got rid of all "n-gons". Have no idea why it was doing what it did ... let alone why it had apparently made an invisible grouping. All lines and dots were welded.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Another of Hex's mysterious ways :)

Pity Afriaginame doesn't come here anymore - he is a boff at solving .obj mysteries.