UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
    scorpio said:

My create times have climbed again since installing and suing the new bundle, its taking between 10-30 minutes to generate the scene, it feels its taking even longer than origanally, is this to be expected?

Is it just the new ecologies that are slower? - or are the original ecologies slower again too? Which stage of the process seems to be taking longer - calculating positions or creating the instances?

Certainly some of the new "Oaks" ecologies will take longer than some of the earlier ones as the fallen leaves take quite some calculation - but 30 minutes does sound a bit long - but 10-15 minutes is in the ballpark.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309
    scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

I have 32GB and its only since the insallation of the new packs that creation times have increased, before they were between a couple of minutes to 15 at the max

It's not a memory issue then.  I'm going to do a few tests of my own, when I get a spare minute.

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks, I would like to know if its just something on my end or what is to be expected for some reason.

I've just run some tests.  I loaded Mallard pond,  one of the worst memory hoggers I know of, and then deleted it.  I then generated a scene using island 3 and willow 4.  This took 8 minutes to generate.  That was saved and then deleted. Next, I generated a scene using coast 2 and oaks 9. This took 9 minutes to generate, despite the fact that it had 200401 instances in it!  Both scenes were generated using the out of the box, default parameters for UltraScenery.

All the tests were run on a 32GB, 4 ghz 4 core i7, running Windows 8, using DAZ Studio 4.11.  I don't know if any of those was a factor.  

Can anyone else cast any light on Scorpio's problem?

Cheers,

Alex.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited May 2020
    scorpio said:
    barbult said:
    If you have the
    scorpio said:

The last scene I just created took nearly an hour to create.

I've also noticed that if I have created a scene then create another one sometimes the first scene is deleted other times not.

If you have an UltraScene selected in the Scene pane when you run the script again, by design, it recreates that UltraScene starting with the settings that were used to create it, so you can tweak those settings. If the UltraScene is not selected, the script creates a new one and then you have two UltraScenes in the scene.

Ahhhh

Having two UltraScenes in one scene (accidently!) can create a lush landscape. In this image I intended to rerun the script on an existing UltraScene in an existing scene file that I reopened. I wanted to try a modified ecology I was working on. Instead I accidently created a second UltraScene with the same feature but entirely different terrain parameters. This is what I got and I loved it!

Pond 1 Tropical 4 Egret .jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited May 2020

I've not seen any great generation time changes (I'm 32GB, 3.6 GHz 4 core i7 and Win 7 Pro on DS 4.12.0.85) - the oaks one I attach took only 9 minutes to build. I haven't tried a thick forest ecology yet, though - I hope to try later today.

Nice to see what everyone is doing with the new add-ons. Here are some quick ones I did last night.

The first is Lake 02 Ecology Oaks 04, going for a bucolic pastoral vibe.

The second is my first look at the hill fort - I tried to make it a bit more of a scene but it could (should) be much better - it was well after midnight by then when I had to stop.

@TangoAlpha - I guess your white horse is based on the Uffington one? Maybe you could add a Cerne Giant to your next set, or would the promo not be welcomed in the store? wink

USC-Lake02-Oaks05.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 659K
    USC-Provisioning.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 640K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    barbult said:
    scorpio said:
    barbult said:
    If you have the
    scorpio said:

The last scene I just created took nearly an hour to create.

I've also noticed that if I have created a scene then create another one sometimes the first scene is deleted other times not.

If you have an UltraScene selected in the Scene pane when you run the script again, by design, it recreates that UltraScene starting with the settings that were used to create it, so you can tweak those settings. If the UltraScene is not selected, the script creates a new one and then you have two UltraScenes in the scene.

Ahhhh

Having two UltraScenes in one scene (accidently!) can create a lush landscape. In this image I intended to rerun the script on an existing UltraScene in an existing scene file that I reopened. I wanted to try a modified ecology I was working on. Instead I accidently created a second UltraScene with the same feature but entirely different terrain parameters. This is what I got and I loved it!

You are a boss at this. I have respect for you after your generous help and willingness to share your knowledge. Keep it up.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    scorpio said:

My create times have climbed again since installing and suing the new bundle, its taking between 10-30 minutes to generate the scene, it feels its taking even longer than origanally, is this to be expected?

Is it just the new ecologies that are slower? - or are the original ecologies slower again too? Which stage of the process seems to be taking longer - calculating positions or creating the instances?

Certainly some of the new "Oaks" ecologies will take longer than some of the earlier ones as the fallen leaves take quite some calculation - but 30 minutes does sound a bit long - but 10-15 minutes is in the ballpark.

I unistaslled the new sets redownloaded them and reinstalled them just incase.

I've done some experiments and it seems to be the new ones, especially the willow ones, the oaks seem ok - what I would expect.

Default scenery, the willow 

The willow ones seem to get stuck on the instancing.

I used the willow either 1 or 4 on the original river 2 terrain it took 26 minutes to generate.

Lake 1 Willows 1 - 20 minutes

My computer, Windows 10, 32gb ram, Ryzen 7, 1080ti.

DS - 4 .12.1.117

It does seem to have improved since reinstalling

edited May 2020

In comparison the older set River 2 and Harpwood 2 completed in 7 minutes.

Post edited by scorpio on

I'm getting bare terrain patches with Dirt Track 1 and Oaks 4. They seem to correspond to the white areas of the terrain noise image. I have all the items checked in the build tab. The scene generated 117249 instances. Any idea why?

(These aren't rendered to completion - just enough to show the bare patches.)

Screenshot 2020-05-17 12.01.11.png
    756 x 558 - 95K
    Dirt Track 1 Oaks 4 bare terrain Top View.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Dirt Track 1 Oaks 4 bare terrain.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309
    barbult said:

I'm getting bare terrain patches with Dirt Track 1 and Oaks 4. They seem to correspond to the white areas of the terrain noise image. I have all the items checked in the build tab. The scene generated 117249 instances. Any idea why?

Could this be something to do with the contrast and brightness settings?  Have you tried resetting them to the defaults?

Cheers,

Alex.

barbult said:

I just created a scene using the Dirt Track 1 and the Oaks 4 and didn't get that.

barbult said:

Could this be something to do with the contrast and brightness settings?  Have you tried resetting them to the defaults?

Cheers,

Alex.

It does not happen with default contrast and brightness. I must have hit on a combination of terrain altitudes that have no instances generated by the feature/ecology combination. I continue to test other combinations for insight.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

snow biomes would be cool.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

Cheers,

Alex.

It does not happen with default contrast and brightness. I must have hit on a combination of terrain altitudes that have no instances generated by the feature/ecology combination. I continue to test other combinations for insight.

The bare terrain happens with the white areas with No Feature and Grassland 1. It happens if I change the max height. It happens if I use a height map with white. So it isn't feature or ecology dependent it seems. Something about white when generating a terrain is causing bare terrain for me.
  • mavantemavante Posts: 734
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Cheers,

Alex.

The bare terrain happens with the white areas with No Feature and Grassland 1. It happens if I change the max height. It happens if I use a height map with white. So it isn't feature or ecology dependent it seems. Something about white when generating a terrain is causing bare terrain for me.

It seems to me you may have found the magic for a clearing. Drop a grass prop in there, and plunk a building on it.

edited May 2020
    mavante said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Cheers,

Alex.

It seems to me you may have found the magic for a clearing. Drop a grass prop in there, and plunk a building on it.

That's an idea. Not only is it clear of vegetation, it is flat. 

Currently, it looks to me that nothing will grow on FLAT terrain. I continue to investigate... Is it just me? Can anyone else reproduce this? 

Edit: The white is flat if a "feature" doesn't modify the terrain, which most do.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    barbult said:
    mavante said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Cheers,

Alex.

Currently, it looks to me that nothing will grow on FLAT terrain. I continue to investigate... Is it just me? Can anyone else reproduce this? 

And if you can control it using white on a height map, it seems that you could make it any size and shape you want—even allowing to put down sidewalks and parking lots.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,363
    I just bought the new bundle as well as the 2 original ultra tree products. Not home until tomorrow so cannot try them out . How do I use the ultra trees in the ultra scenery product?
    daveso said:
    I just bought the new bundle as well as the 2 original ultra tree products. Not home until tomorrow so cannot try them out . How do I use the ultra trees in the ultra scenery product?

UltraTrees don't work inside UltraScenery, but you can place one manually after generating your UltraScenery. 

edited May 2020
    mavante said:
    barbult said:
    mavante said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Cheers,

Alex.

And if you can control it using white on a height map, it seems that you could make it any size and shape you want—even allowing to put down sidewalks and parking lots.

White in a height map with noise contrast set to minimum (all gray noise) will give you a bare flat area.

Edit: It is only flat if a "feature" doesn't modify the terrain, which most do. I was using "No Feature" when I saw it being flat.

edited May 2020

Here is an interesting discovery related to height maps. The way the height map is created in Photoshop  (RGB, Grayscale, Indexed Color) makes a difference in how it performs in UltraScenery. These are only rendered for a few iterations to get a feel for where the instances are placed. Grayscale and Indexed Color look about identical, but  RGB shapes the whole terrain differently and places no instances on the flat mid-gray squiggle in the middle and places a few in the black (low) area. 
    For this experiment I used No Feature and Grassland 1. Noise contrast was set to the minimum. Max Height was set to 20.

RGB

Grayscale

Indexed Color

UltraScenery Gradient Plus Gray Terrain RGB.png
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
    UltraScenery Gradient Plus Gray Terrain Grayscale.png
    2048 x 2048 - 837K
    UltraScenery Gradient Plus Gray Terrain Indexed.png
    2048 x 2048 - 837K
    Screenshot 2020-05-17 16.31.39.png
    756 x 558 - 96K
    Min contrast and Gradient Height Map Plus Gray RGB Height 20.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Min contrast and Gradient Height Map Plus Gray Grayscale Height 20.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Min contrast and Gradient Height Map Plus Gray Indexed Color Height 20.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M

I've started a new thread over in the Art Studio forum to document some of my UltraScenery experiments, so I don't monopolize this commercial thread. I may migrate some of my posts over to that thread.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
    barbult said:

Here is an interesting discovery related to height maps. The way the height map is created in Photoshop  (RGB, Grayscale, Indexed Color) makes a difference in how it performs in UltraScenery. These are only rendered for a few iterations to get a feel for where the instances are placed. Grayscale and Indexed Color look about identical, but  RGB shapes the whole terrain differently and places no instances on the flat mid-gray squiggle in the middle and places a few in the black (low) area. 
    For this experiment I used No Feature and Grassland 1. Noise contrast was set to the minimum. Max Height was set to 20.

Thank you for your excellent detective work as always Barb - the script seems to have a bug where completely level/flat surfaces cause an error when trying to find the height of the polygons so it just gives up and won't place an instance there. I know what I'm doing today (hint: it's fixing this). Different image formats can use different compression schemes that can introduce noise into the image - although I see you used PNG for all of them so that shouldn't be part of it - but I think the effects you are getting are all symptoms of the same bug just being expressed slightly differently due to color conversion in your image editor.

barbult said:

Thank you for your excellent detective work as always Barb - the script seems to have a bug where completely level/flat surfaces cause an error when trying to find the height of the polygons so it just gives up and won't place an instance there. I know what I'm doing today (hint: it's fixing this). Different image formats can use different compression schemes that can introduce noise into the image - although I see you used PNG for all of them so that shouldn't be part of it - but I think the effects you are getting are all symptoms of the same bug just being expressed slightly differently due to color conversion in your image editor.

Excellent, I look forward to the next script update. Thank you for great customer service.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited May 2020

I jumped on the bundle, and looking forward to loads of fun with it! I tried out  Lake 1 and Oaks 9, and default settings for the rest. When you get a chance, can you also please fix the reeds growing through solid docks? Thanks! Edited to add that I don't have Octane add-on enabled.

Edited to add the dock on the opposite side has 3 trees and grass growing through it.

USCReedsThroughDock1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    USCReedsThroughDock2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by dawnblade on

Is anyone else getting extra long creation times when using the Willows?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,524
    edited May 2020

I have also used Lake 1 and Oaks 9, and can confirm the issue with the dock and vegetation.

It is easy to fix, however. I have just moved a bit this dock towards the lake.

Lake1Oaks9sc03pic05.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 959K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,524

Yes, waiting for the script to finish is what we need to handle ourselves.

I usually go away from the computer and do some other things...

Artini said:

Yes, waiting for the script to finish is what we need to handle ourselves.

I usually go away from the computer and do some other things...

So you are also finding it can take up to an hour to generate a scene using the willows?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    MelanieL said:

@TangoAlpha - I guess your white horse is based on the Uffington one? Maybe you could add a Cerne Giant to your next set, or would the promo not be welcomed in the store? wink

Yes, it's the Uffington white horse (which is 30 minutes up the road from me). The Cerne Abbas giant would be fun, but I don't think it would get past Daz. You could always create your own mask though.... wink

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    dawnblade said:

I jumped on the bundle, and looking forward to loads of fun with it! I tried out  Lake 1 and Oaks 9, and default settings for the rest. When you get a chance, can you also please fix the reeds growing through solid docks? Thanks!

Edited to add the dock on the opposite side has 3 trees and grass growing through it.

Noted. I'll take a look at it.

This discussion has been closed.