DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.120, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Do you use DIM (DAZ Install Manager)?

If you have a bought (for free) a previous version of DAZ Studio, then the latest version should be available in your My Account > Product Library area. Have you looked there.

The latest version will uninstall any previous version, so there is usually no need to uninstall first.

What version do you have installed at present?

Help > About DAZ Studio...it will list the version number on the window that pops up.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Bobvan said:
    Ok so you are saying that I clear my scene load a fresh v4 re inject my characters morphs close that and reload my scene? If I am going to do all that may as well simply merge the refreshed character into my scene no? Also it can be painful if one builds a custom face with several merged character faces.. They have been DUF scenes since 4.5 its injected pre made characters

Does it seem that all morphs stop working, or just non-ExP morphs?

Good question...

custom morphs made in poser, watch out for .pmd files and 'binary' saved morphs-under preferences, uncheck it. pmds (binary) put the morphs in an externally compressed file.

advices in other threads say to not have more than one runtime with the exp (\!daz) morphs folder, will confuse the app.

• tscott_f9a8e65d7ctscott_f9a8e65d7c Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Do you use DIM (DAZ Install Manager)?

If you have a bought (for free) a previous version of DAZ Studio, then the latest version should be available in your My Account > Product Library area. Have you looked there.

The latest version will uninstall any previous version, so there is usually no need to uninstall first.

What version do you have installed at present?

I got it. Thanks/.

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited March 2014

chorse said:
    A couple of annoyances:

1. Why does "Save" work like "Save As" the first time you try to save after you have opened a previously saved scene? In every other application I have, when you select "Save" it saves/updates whatever is opened to the same name and directory. In DS it acts like a "Save As" which leads to the next annoyance.

2. When the save file dialog opens to offer you the name and directory to save, why doesn't it open automatically to the directory of the current scene? It appears to open to a previously saved directory.

This has been an issue for a while now. Perhaps this behavior should be corrected and brought in line with rest of the applications.

Just my 2 cents worth...

You need to go to Edit > Preferences > General, and edit the Author information, then it will save correctly with Ctrl+S or File > Save.

Thanks JimmyC_2009,

ref. issue 1. I checked my author information and is set-up/added. It appears that the save and save as only works as expected for duf files. All other files such as older DS version scenes or content loaded from poser run-times the save acts as a save as.

ref. issue 2. The save dialog always defaults to the location of the last saved item (even if the item was part of an install). This occurs even if one selects the add/save (+) from a specific DS directory in the content manager. The expected behavior is that upon selecting the add/save (+) button that the save dialog automatically opens to the directory that the add/save (+) was chosen from. In addition the save-as should automatically open to the directory that the last file e.g. scene is opened from, not the directory the last save was made to. I believe this save behavior is pretty much standard in most applications.

Post edited by chorse on
    edited March 2014

chorse said:
    Rogerbee said:
    chorse said:
    I always do a custom installation, so you just has to make sure you verify the installation path. I don't think it's a big deal, I'm giving users a heads-up that this is what occurred on my installation. :coolsmile:

Actually, I am much more concerned about getting to the root of the extremely long load and save times that have occurred in the last few versions. :question:

The one time I noticed long load times was where an object in the scene contained a mesh smoother, like converted hair or clothing. I haven't checked that with the new version yet.

One thing I did do which sped things up a lot was to clean up my start-up menu, this is where Windows stores programs it thinks you will want to open when Windows launches. About 85% - 90% are things you don't need and can disable. You can access it via msconfig on older versions of Windows or Task Manager on newer ones. DS loaded a lot quicker after I cleaned that up.

CHEERS!

Thanks Rogerbee, I do not have any converted products in the scene. The increased load times, compared to the last general release, are universal on whatever scene is loaded. This has been a problem with the previous two betas and current general release. The content directories are set up identical except for the individual programs installer. Here are some examples:

A full scene (85MB):

DS 4.6.1.39 64bit:

Load scene: 1 minute
    Save scene: 50 seconds

DS 4.6.2.106 64bit beta:

Load scene: 7:30 minutes
    Save scene: 25:15 minutes

A base scene with just an environment (515Kb):

DS 4.6.1.39 64bit:

Load scene: 9 seconds

DS 4.6.2.118 64bit GR:

Load scene: 44 seconds

As you can see, there is quite a difference between the previous general release and the current one. I think it is something that was changed since the last GR or perhaps the way DIM installs the beta makes it slow to read the directory data. I have multiple poser and DS content directories so maybe it's that.

Thanks again.

I finally solved these load time issue over the weekend. For some reason the DS desktop shortcut was set to run the DS program in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode instead of Win 8.1 native mode. I did not set the the shortcut to run DS in the compatibility mode. Perhaps it was one of beta installers? Anyway I cleared the use compatibility mode and the load and save times are back to normal. If anyone is having similar problems, it might be something to check.

Post edited by chorse on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I finally solved these load time issue over the weekend. For some reason the DS desktop shortcut was set to run in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode instead of Win 8.1 native mode. I did not change the shortcut. Perhaps it was one of beta installers? Anyway I cleared the use compatibility mode and the load and save times are back to normal. If anyone is having similar problems, it might be something to check.

Thanks for letting us know.

Just another thing to check :)
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

chorse said:
    [
    I finally solved these load time issue over the weekend. For some reason the DS desktop shortcut was set to run the DS program in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode instead of Win 8.1 native mode. I did not change the shortcut. Perhaps it was one of beta installers? Anyway I cleared the use compatibility mode and the load and save times are back to normal. If anyone is having similar problems, it might be something to check.

That's interesting, could you not uncheck the compatibility so it runs as 8.1!? Or did I read it wrong and that was what you did anyway!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

It's the second. I unchecked the use compatibility mode and the issue went away; but I never made any changes to the shortcut to run DS in the compatibility mode so I do not know how that occurred.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I see,

What I always do is to check 'run as administrator' on both the .exe and the desktop shortcut, you'll know you've done this when a shield appears on the desktop icon. When I used to do this in Poser it allowed me to save things where I wanted them and the program ran smoothly. I've done it with every program since then.

CHEERS!

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited March 2014

I am unable to open ANY of my old .daz scenes with this version of Studio. My data directory is still there and as far as I know intact; it's the same one I use for everything including the current stuff in Studio. The error in the log is a read from address 0, which suggests an uninitialized pointer getting referenced, so I think this is unlikely to be something wrong with my data directory.

Example from one of my .daz scenes:

*** Scene Cleared ***
    Opening file Awakening.daz...
    Error setting pointers while reading file C:/Users/cwichura/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/CAW's DAZ Scenes/
         Awakening.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000
    File read time: 0 min 7.8 sec.
    Building Scene...
    Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/cwichura/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/Textures/Mytilus/VampireCradle/Vmp_Ref.jpg
    WARNING: Object::disconnect: No such signal QObject::currentValueChanged() in properties\controllers\dzerclink.cpp:1150
    WARNING: Object::disconnect:  (sender name:   'ZRotate')
    WARNING: Object::disconnect: No such signal QObject::currentValueChanged() in properties\controllers\dzerclink.cpp:1150
    WARNING: Object::disconnect:  (sender name:   'YRotate')
    insert several hundred more such errors here
    Post edited by adamr001 on
  • edited December 1969

Hi,
    I'm new to these forums, so I hope this is the right place for this. I'll move it if need be.

A week or so ago, I downloaded the DAZ3DIM, then got and installed DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro, w a number of others that I believe came wi it.
    When I open DAZ Studio, it says:
    "Could not open the startup scene : C:/Users/Acer/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/ My Library/People/Genesis/Genesis.dsf
    File does not exist"
    I go looking for the folder and all, and it's just not there. I look in all the other reasonable places where it might've loaded, (like under Program Files, which is where I'd normally expect such things to go, etc) and it's nowhere to be found.
    Now because of this new DAZ3DIM thing, which is supposed to make downloading and installing and organizing easier, I'm not sure how this happened, nor how to go about uninstalling and reinstalling the thing, hoping that would fix whatever happened on the last install.

Help?

~Eoghan

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials and the Genesis 2 Starter Essentials?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I thought they did away with loading Genesis on Start up?

You can set the file loading to None in the Preferences (F2) or Edit > Preferences.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you had DS4.0 before, it still has your preferences from before, including the startup scene. Assuming you've already installed Genesis Starter Essentials, go to Edit > Preferences > Startup and change the startup scene to say Genesis.duf (or uncheck the box to have no startup scene). Also in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and make sure both DS-formats and Poser formats are set to the location DIM is installing to (if you didn't change it the default is C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library).

• edited March 2014

chohole said:
    Did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials and the Genesis 2 Starter Essentials?

DIM says I did, yeah.

But I don't see *where* those are installed.
    I don't see folders, etc...

And I don't know with this DIM thing if, were I to uninstall the various things, I would still have the *.exe somewhere to reinstall.

So far DIM seems to complicate more than it seems to help.

Post edited by meoghanvoce_6dbbcd9e70 on
  • edited December 1969

If you had DS4.0 before, it still has your preferences from before, including the startup scene. Assuming you've already installed Genesis Starter Essentials, go to Edit > Preferences > Startup and change the startup scene to say Genesis.duf (or uncheck the box to have no startup scene). Also in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and make sure both DS-formats and Poser formats are set to the location DIM is installing to (if you didn't change it the default is C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library).

Right. From what I'd posted, it's saying that's where it should be, but it's not.
    And yeah, I did have an older version of DS, though I don't recall which.
    But this new DS was/is already set to open that pathway you described to Genesis.duf.
    I laid out the pathway shown in the error message DS 4.6 was showing me.
    Problem being that though DIM says it installed all the Genesis Starter Essentials, I can't find them on my machine.
    So DIM is apparently making things *more* complicated rather than the converse. {shrug}

edited December 1969

leuxnotik said:
    chohole said:

DIM says I did, yeah.

And I don't know with this DIM thing if, were I to uninstall the various things, I would still have the *.exe somewhere to reinstall.

There's a box at the bottom of the Ready to Install tab for whether you want to delete the package after it's installed. If you uncheck that box the zip remains so you can uninstall and reinstall without having to redownload.

Right-click on an installed item in DIM and choose "Show Installed Files" to see the content folder they were installed to and all the files that were installed. As I said above, the default install location is C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library. You can add a different content location (or multiple locations) if you wish to install to a different location.

edited December 1969

If you click on one of the files in that "Show Installed Files" screen it will open the folder it was installed to.

• edited December 1969

leuxnotik said:
    chohole said:

DIM says I did, yeah.

There's a box at the bottom of the Ready to Install tab for whether you want to delete the package after it's installed. If you uncheck that box the zip remains so you can uninstall and reinstall without having to redownload.

Right-click on an installed item in DIM and choose "Show Installed Files" to see the content folder they were installed to and all the files that were installed. As I said above, the default install location is C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library. You can add a different content location (or multiple locations) if you wish to install to a different location.

Ah... {Head-through-bricks}
    Ok... well at least I found part of my system I hadn't known existed yet. Had a majorly dumb oversight, but at least there's that kinda-sorta bright side. heh

Thank you very much. :-)

Oi.. gods let me not have another dumb like that anytime soon... gah..

• edited December 1969

Ok, apparently it wasn't *as* dumb as I first thought.
    Everything is where it should be, though instead of Library the folder was auto-created as My Daz 3D Library, which apparently helped confuse the system, or something.
    I went on and made sure everything was proper, like all was said here. Barely had to do anything.
    The program still claims it can't find things. It seems to know where they are except when I try to load a figure.
    I follow the Quickstart Guide letter for letter, going on to open the Barefoot Dancer.
    It claims: "Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found: /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/PBMNavel.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf "

They're right where they should be, right where the installer put 'em, even on the right pathways shown in the error message I just quoted.

When I try to load a figure like Genesis.dsf or others, DS tells me "Error Opening File An error occurred while trying to open the file, please see log file for details." The log file, at least to these untrained eyes is just vastly unhelpful in telling me how to fix whatever the problem is.

The versions of Poser and Bryce that I've seen usually give an option to point out a file's location to the program when the prog can't find it straight off. Apparently DS4.6 doesn't have that option.

I've tried working on this and looking for answers on my own for a few hours now.
    And this time it's not just me overlooking a bloody piece of a path description. I've gone through folder by folder, as well as online searches. Not even sure what to call this issue for search, but I've given a good number of attempts at figuring it out.

More ideas, please?

edited December 1969

In DS, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats",, and post a screenshot.

• borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

Has anyone experienced a problem using your mouse in the main area of the screen? Ever since updating to the latest verion we are discussing here nothing works with either left or right mouse clicks nor does the area light up when the mouse cursor rolls over it. All the other areas seem to be working just fine for me... Any idea what might be wrong?

If necessary can the program be uninstalled and reinstalled without having to reload all of my content? If so i will directly download it and install instead of going through DM.

I tried to load a copy of today's log but this forum does not accept text files... Is there another option for loading that info, which could be important in resolving this?

Thanks.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Ever since updating to the latest verion we are discussing here nothing works with either left or right mouse clicks nor does the area light up when the mouse cursor rolls over it.
    Chances are this is more likely to be a problem with the drivers for your graphics card (possibly outdated and needing an upgrade) than the D|S program itself. The Viewport is very heavily dependent on these drivers: when you look at your graphics card specs (Help>About Your Video Card) what are the first few lines, particularly your graphics card type and OpenGL version?
    If necessary can the program be uninstalled and reinstalled without having to reload all of my content?

Not a problem, uninstalling/reinstalling D|S never touches your installed content or (if you use it) the database controlling how your categories and Smart Content are displayed. Although, as I said, there's a very good chance this won't make any difference to your situation; it's a solution to a different problem.
  • borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

Ever since updating to the latest verion we are discussing here nothing works with either left or right mouse clicks nor does the area light up when the mouse cursor rolls over it.

Chances are this is more likely to be a problem with the drivers for your graphics card (possibly outdated and needing an upgrade) than the D|S program itself. The Viewport is very heavily dependent on these drivers: when you look at your graphics card specs (Help>About Your Video Card) what are the first few lines, particularly your graphics card type and OpenGL version?

Specs:
    Current OpenGL Version:
    4.2.11476 Compatibility Profile Context

OpenGL Provider:
    ATI Technologies Inc.

Hardware:
    AMD Radeon HD 7640G

These are the most current Video Drivers.
    Please advise.

Thanks.

edited April 2014

I think there needs to be an option in the preview render settings to allow per pixel shading to render in preview. A simple check-box such as "apply per pixel shading in render". Currently per pixel shading is not rendered in preview.

Also we need to re-fix the Skydome going black when pixel shading is applied.

Post edited by chorse on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

chorse said:
    I think there needs to be an option in the preview render settings to allow per pixel shading to render in preview. A simple check-box such as "apply per pixel shading in render". Currently per pixel shading is not rendered in preview.

Also we need to re-fix the Skydome going black when pixel shading is applied.

Ummm... HUH? The Viewport view is not a render that is what your Graphic Card is displaying with the OpenGL your running. Everything renders in for a real render. Per Pixel Shading is just a Better example of what a texture might look like once rendered. It only effects the Viewport.

EDIT; CLICK I get it now you want the OpenGL render. Got it. Time for sleep I think.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Yes. It would be useful if the preview render would render out to an image or movie what is actually showing in view-port. So if pixel shading is on in the view port then the preview render would render it out with pixel shading. My suggestion was to just add this option to the preview settings tab.

edited December 1969

chorse said:
    Yes. It would be useful if the preview render would render out to an image or movie what is actually showing in view-port. So if pixel shading is on in the view port then the preview render would render it out with pixel shading. My suggestion was to just add this option to the preview settings tab.

From the Change Log for the not-yet-released version:
    Rendering OpenGL Preview now uses the active DrawStyle instead of forcing Texture Shaded; allows for Wireframe renders

edited April 2014

Yes!!!! :coolsmile:

Post edited by chorse on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006
    edited December 1969

This update will not install via DIM.