Does 4.12.1.16 allow multiple instances of Studio?

Comments

• garrettg11garrettg11 Posts: 53

I encourage everyone who is not happy with this change to open a support ticket. Perhaps that would raise awareness to the level of disruption this change causes. 

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120

I encourage everyone who is not happy with this change to open a support ticket. Perhaps that would raise awareness to the level of disruption this change causes. 

Just make sure to include a description of HOW it impacts your workflow since that information is what is key to them being able to improve things.

• I already submit my ticket. I haven't upload since 4.11 but yesterday that I had to reset my computer due to a Windows fail I discovered this big messed up. I love to have multiple instances. I can work on props and stuff to merge them ready on my main scene. And is a pain to have to close them to then have to reopen them a minute later. I also can work on different things while I have one scene rendering. I spent the money to make this possible and make easy and faster working on my projects. I feel like I'm back in the 2000's.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849

I already submit my ticket. I haven't upload since 4.11 but yesterday that I had to reset my computer due to a Windows fail I discovered this big messed up. I love to have multiple instances. I can work on props and stuff to merge them ready on my main scene. And is a pain to have to close them to then have to reopen them a minute later. I also can work on different things while I have one scene rendering. I spent the money to make this possible and make easy and faster working on my projects. I feel like I'm back in the 2000's.

You do realise that the answer to the question in the thread titile is that DS does still allow multiple instances to run? It's just that the method has changed.

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774

I already submit my ticket. I haven't upload since 4.11 but yesterday that I had to reset my computer due to a Windows fail I discovered this big messed up. I love to have multiple instances. I can work on props and stuff to merge them ready on my main scene. And is a pain to have to close them to then have to reopen them a minute later. I also can work on different things while I have one scene rendering. I spent the money to make this possible and make easy and faster working on my projects. I feel like I'm back in the 2000's.

You do realise that the answer to the question in the thread titile is that DS does still allow multiple instances to run? It's just that the method has changed.

Please tell us how to run multiple instances of DAZ Studio, Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Please tell us how to run multiple instances of DAZ Studio, Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

Thanks Fixmypcmike!!  Seems a bit cumbersome to have to run a script, but it works.

Thanks Fixmypcmike!!  Seems a bit cumbersome to have to run a script, but it works.

You don't have to run a script, but it does make it easier to set up the command line(s)

• IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655

You still can't open multiple scenes by clicking on them in explorer with that script.

Sometimes I want to open multiple scenes at once. I don't understand why they don't just put in the option to disable this only one instance thing.

It makes no sense to me. Daz isn't even running more stable with that only one instance.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Sometimes I want to open multiple scenes at once. I don't understand why they don't just put in the option to disable this only one instance thing.

Because having multiple instances stepping all over each others' data is not a good idea.

Because having multiple instances stepping all over each others' data is not a good idea.

No other program I've come across yet only allows one instance. Not max, not blender, not even poser does that.

Maybe it's time to overhaul it completly if it's that broken. Adding in more and more features that slow daz down and making it uncomortable to use can hardly be called an update.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731

Is this permanent (or even still valid)?:

4.12.1.16 (October 15, 2019)

• Application Launch
      • Only a single instance of the application, per release channel, is now allowed to run at a time (by default)
        • Attempts to load registered file types via double-click or "open with" commands (once promoted to General Release) will forward to a running instance (if any) instead of allowing concurrent instances that compete for resources and cause conflicts
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    Taoz said:

• Application Launch
      • Only a single instance of the application, per release channel, is now allowed to run at a time (by default)
        • Attempts to load registered file types via double-click or "open with" commands (once promoted to General Release) will forward to a running instance (if any) instead of allowing concurrent instances that compete for resources and cause conflicts

A new way of running several instances has been introduced in later versions. 

Leana said:
    Taoz said:

• Application Launch

Thanks, yes I know, I just want to know if the above default option is permanent as it actually solves a problem with some scripting I'm working on.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    Taoz said:
    Leana said:
    Taoz said:

• Application Launch

Thanks, yes I know, I just want to know if the above default option is permanent as it actually solves a problem with some scripting I'm working on.

It made its way into the latest general release, so yes.

Taoz said:

• Application Launch

Unless the CLI options are used to launch a new application instance, attempts to load registered file types via double-click or "open with" commands (which are equivalent to providing an asset/script path to the File field in the provided Launch Instance script) will forward the path of the invoking file to a running instance (if any) instead of opening a new instance of the application. If no application instance is currently running, the primary instance will be launched and the invoking file will be loaded by that instance. File types are only registered for the General Release.

RayDAnt said:
    Taoz said:
    Leana said:
    Taoz said:

• Application Launch

It made its way into the latest general release, so yes.

Taoz said:

• Application Launch

Unless the CLI options are used to launch a new application instance, attempts to load registered file types via double-click or "open with" commands (which are equivalent to providing an asset/script path to the File field in the provided Launch Instance script) will forward the path of the invoking file to a running instance (if any) instead of opening a new instance of the application. If no application instance is currently running, the primary instance will be launched and the invoking file will be loaded by that instance. File types are only registered for the General Release.

OK, thanks, I hope it stays that way then. 

I have two PowerShell Scripts which will launch DAZ Studio in multiple instance mode - One launches an instance of DAZ Studio normally.  The other launches an instance of DAZ Studio at a low priority and a CPU Affinity that will insure not all CPUS will be used by DS.  The latter is useful for rendering in the background.

To run them - Right Click the script (give it the middle finger) in File Explorer (or on you desktop, if that's where you put it) and select "Run with PowerShell".   If you edit the beggining lines of the scripts, you can change you DAZ Studio Path, Priority, and CPU Affinity.  

zip
    zip
    LaunchDS.zip
    739B
    edited May 2020

I have two PowerShell Scripts which will launch DAZ Studio in multiple instance mode - One launches an instance of DAZ Studio normally.  The other launches an instance of DAZ Studio at a low priority and a CPU Affinity that will insure not all CPUS will be used by DS.  The latter is useful for rendering in the background.

To run them - Right Click the script (give it the middle finger) in File Explorer (or on you desktop, if that's where you put it) and select "Run with PowerShell".   If you edit the beggining lines of the scripts, you can change you DAZ Studio Path, Priority, and CPU Affinity.  

both do nothing for me. I right click on it and open with powershell and a powershell window just opens and closes. My path is at C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe 

edit: oh wait, it takes unusually long for them to load. I think it is working thanks!

Post edited by Illidanstorm on

DS does include options for thread affinity and CPU load, see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5534391/#Comment_5534391

DS does include options for thread affinity and CPU load, see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5534391/#Comment_5534391

Options for CPU Load and Thread Affinty - That is great!!  I noticed that DAZ Studio was altering my system set affinity and prioity.  I was going to complain about that. 

I notice that when you close the DAZ Studio Program, a "Zombie" remains in the "Background processes" list and in the "Details" Tab of "Task Manger".  The "Zombie" has to be "End task"'ed.  How do you fix that?

Zombie01.JPG
    1251 x 730 - 98K
    Zombie02.JPG
    1301 x 1041 - 196K

Options for CPU Load and Thread Affinty - That is great!!  I noticed that DAZ Studio was altering my system set affinity and prioity.  I was going to complain about that. 

I notice that when you close the DAZ Studio Program, a "Zombie" remains in the "Background processes" list and in the "Details" Tab of "Task Manger".  The "Zombie" has to be "End task"'ed.  How do you fix that?

Try disabling third-party plug-ins - especially Octane if you have it - and see if the issue goes away. It seems to affect a fair number of people, but a lot are not affected too.

Try disabling third-party plug-ins - especially Octane if you have it - and see if the issue goes away. It seems to affect a fair number of people, but a lot are not affected too.

That worked, my Zombies are back in their graves.  Thanks Richard!!

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

Using two instances of DAZ is extremely vital to my workflow, especially when I open up older project saves to compare to my newest work. Example: comparing old character designs to new ones.

I hope they allow multiple instances of DAZ in future versions. It's extremely important.

Flortale said:

Using two instances of DAZ is extremely vital to my workflow, especially when I open up older project saves to compare to my newest work. Example: comparing old character designs to new ones.

I hope they allow multiple instances of DAZ in future versions. It's extremely important.

Try the PowerShell scipts that I created, 5 posts previously.

Flortale said:

They do allow multiple instances - the way they are launched has chnaged, but they are still there.

I am going to edit the title of this thread since the question mark at the end keeps getting missed.

Unfortunately, those options do not persist across the launches of DAZ Studio.  Nor am I able to save them as "Reender Presets".

• MortzeMortze Posts: 184

Thank you nakamuram002 for the script.

• MortzeMortze Posts: 184

nakamuram002 the script worked a few times but now when I try to use it it just opens the notepad with the following code:

$dspath = "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe" #Change to your Daz Studio Path.
    start-process -filepath $dspath -argumentlist "-instanceName # -cleanOnLaunch true -cleanOnExit"

Mortze said:

nakamuram002 the script worked a few times but now when I try to use it it just opens the notepad with the following code:

$dspath = "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe" #Change to your Daz Studio Path.
    start-process -filepath $dspath -argumentlist "-instanceName # -cleanOnLaunch true -cleanOnExit"

Mortze,

That ususally happens when you click on the script.  Did you remember to right-click, then select "run with PowerShell"?