Does 4.12.1.16 allow multiple instances of Studio?

Comments

• @RayDAnt That's really a horrible mechanics. So now they have to track auto-incrementing instance numbers instead of just going with PID? To me that seems like over-designing a "solution" for a "problem" nobody had.

Looks like wasted time on something that affected maybe 0.1% of users instead of fixing the Iray CPU fallback issues almost everyone has.

Since we are not privy to the internal discussions or specifications I think we should go easy on the judgement, especially as we don't even have the final result on our machines yet.

As for the fallback, if that is a result of Iray internal processes (e.g. the use of OptiX Prime for non-RTX cards) then it is whooly out of Daz' hands.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,859

Strange, I only have the fallback in the beta, 4.12.0.86 works fine. 441.08 driver.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

As a software engineer, you should also know that beta is where code it tested.

Feedback from that beta testing is used going forward; how it is used may vary from product, feature and circumstance, but it is certainly used.

We are already aware from the changelogs that change is coming.

I too am a software engineer; I've twice had a feature pulled and changed once it got to the UAC (user acceptance testing) server, as they decided they wanted to change the process. An expensive decission for them, but preferable that waiting until the feature went live. The same could be true for Daz too, as vocal as we all were with the change, there could very well have been even more vocalising if the first we'd known about it was live. It seems to me that beta is serving one of the purposes for which it was intended.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,037

okay, Beta 4.12.1.40 arrived to public.

Instancing is working again, but a speical daz symbol for instancing needs to be created.

I'm aware that it's still working in progress, but I want to repeat my wish a solution that DAZ studio should be smart enough create instances only when needed. Otherwise it should start the "main" instance.

• gerster said:

okay, Beta 4.12.1.40 arrived to public.

Instancing is working again, but a speical daz symbol for instancing needs to be created.

I'm aware that it's still working in progress, but I want to repeat my wish a solution that DAZ studio should be smart enough create instances only when needed. Otherwise it should start the "main" instance.

How would ypu define "when needed"? Currently it will use the main instance unless told to do otherwise.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,037

There should just be an if else condition:

if (main instance is running) {

create new instance with increasing numbers

} else {

start main instance

}

Best thing would be that that would be a part of the DAZ app itself,which can be opted in, in the settings.

If these instance options are just an argument for DAZ exe file, we would always open/overwrite the main instance, if you open a daz file via double click in the explorer.

Hopefully it's clear what I mean.

• Drat, I missed all the fireworks, cause I had a lot to say on this subject! lol.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited April 2020
    gerster said:

There should just be an if else condition:

if (main instance is running) {

create new instance with increasing numbers

} else {

start main instance

}

I designed, wrote and maintain a piece of commercial software that allows the user to create multiple "instances".  The way I solved this problem was to only allow a SINGLE instance to be created, but for that single instance to have a "window manager" that can spawn more than one main window.  Main windows can share state via this manager.  When you "save settings", all the open windows are written out and read back when you start the software again.  If you close an instance obviously that state is lost the next time settings get saved.  I have a "synchronise" button to allow state to be shared across all windows, i.e. click it in window 1 and it toggles on for windows 2, 3, 4, etc.  Important to note that actual "sharing" of state, rather than simply maintaining a copy, is too much of a headache for anyone to manage, so the main windows are separate in that respect.

Doing this kind of thing isn't trivial but if you keep it all in a single instance it's much easier to make sure nothing overwrites something it shouldn't.

Post edited by Robinson on
  • uzzbayuzzbay Posts: 3

This is my first post because, honestly, in most threads I read here, someone way smarter than I has said what I would have wanted to already.  (Thanks all for that)

But, I was not and have not been running the beta and recently, while rendering, I was downloading a new asset using DIM and apparently they added a Studio update to my flow.  It installed while I was rendering (refer to previous statement about others being "way smarter than I").  It corrupted my existing install.  I had to download the entire Studio installation file to correct the issue.  And  now I see the "single instance" issue.  Apparently this has been a topic for a very long time too.

Basically, my personal work flow of running long renders while being able to work with figures, props, textures, morphs etc for the next render has vanished.  This is devastating.

If DAZ will NOT correct or otherwise fix this needless restriction, does anyone have suggestions of other software products and packages that might allow this logical workflow to continue?  I feel that software should promote creativity rather than reduce and throttle it.

Again, thanks to all who have posted in these forums in the past for sharing your hard-earned knowledge.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191

You can still have multiple instances running, the process has just been formalised. I would suggest using the script here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696 to set up shortcuts for two instnaces of DS, so you have one fro render and one for set-up

You can still have multiple instances running, the process has just been formalised. I would suggest using the script here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696 to set up shortcuts for two instnaces of DS, so you have one fro render and one for set-up

Ah Perfect!

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited May 2020

So let me get this straight.....

First, do I need the latest Daz Studio version to use this script?
    Second, this will allow a RENDER to be ACTIVE...rendering.... and I can run a separate version of Daz Studio - that's fully functional - as in load scenes and saves and such?

So I can have 2 fully working Daz Studios open?

Two fully different sessions?

If so, can they BOTH render at the same time? Or can either one render?

EDIT{ Forget both rendering question} I need to lay down.

And switching back and forth is as simple as bring up the tab/window?

---------------------

I run two instances now on version  4.12.0.60 Pro Edition

Seems pretty stable, but I basically create stuff to import into the main session.....

Post edited by Griffin Avid on

I just ran the script.... with a render happening in the background and in the foreground I opened a new instance to work with a prop I am creating.

Running release 4.12.1.117

two_instances.jpg
    800 x 448 - 235K
  • RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120

So let me get this straight.....

First, do I need the latest Daz Studio version to use this script?
    Second, this will allow a RENDER to be ACTIVE...rendering.... and I can run a separate version of Daz Studio - that's fully functional - as in load scenes and saves and such?

So I can have 2 fully working Daz Studios open?

Two fully different sessions?

If so, can they BOTH render at the same time? Or can either one render?

EDIT{ Forget both rendering question} I need to lay down.

And switching back and forth is as simple as bring up the tab/window?

---------------------

I run two instances now on version  4.12.0.60 Pro Edition

Seems pretty stable, but I basically create stuff to import into the main session.....

In a word, yes. Assumnig you have the VRAM, that is (every instance takes its own separate bite.)

What were the steps to starting the two different Apps?

Run script starts One and I assume you named it something like #1 Session One

and then what?

Run the script again? or use the regular desktop icon?

And for the second script run, do you use the start process checkbox?

One issue, I got my workspace to load, but I am seeing the proper headings for my custom action scripts, but it is not populated.

It's like I have the appearance, but not the actual functionality.

So scripts for a heading like Rotate Dome are missing. Scripts it has Rotate Dome, but there's no drop down menu WITH the actual scripts.

And it's now also blank on the older studio builds...

• Rogue111Rogue111 Posts: 2
    edited May 2020

@uzzbay

Like Griffin Avid asked, how do I start with the script for example 2 instance of DAZ? I'm not sure, if I understand it?!

Forget my question, I've started with the script 4 instances and all instances works!

Thanks guys for all the postings

Post edited by Rogue111 on

Forget my question, I've started with the script 4 instances and all instances works!

That's one think I dislike about the overall info and notes about using Daz. No one ever seems to explain EXACTLY what to do.

So I read this huge post about feature updates, but not a single thing anywhere about the HOWS.

Everything is sparse and I'm always combing through a million old threads - some of them end without the person getting any help.

What I did:

1) Updated Daz Studio to latest beta build by downloading (and install) through Install manager.

2) Download script.

3) made script desktop shortcut.

4) Started script and first running named first instance #1Main_Session

5) After Daz fully started, started script again and named second instance #2_secondary_Session (made sure to check START PROCESS BOX so another full version of Daz Studio starts.

-------------

Nice to get the two sessions going without fear.

Of course I had to do ALL my custom actions over again, several times, as for some reason NO export/Import Load workspace Save as --- none of that worked.

BUT! whenever I have a setback, I try to make the return even better.

So we're cooking now.

That's one think I dislike about the overall info and notes about using Daz. No one ever seems to explain EXACTLY what to do.

So I read this huge post about feature updates, but not a single thing anywhere about the HOWS.

Everything is sparse and I'm always combing through a million old threads - some of them end without the person getting any help.

What I did:

1) Updated Daz Studio to latest beta build by downloading (and install) through Install manager.

2) Download script.

3) made script desktop shortcut.

4) Started script and first running named first instance #1Main_Session

5) After Daz fully started, started script again and named second instance #2_secondary_Session (made sure to check START PROCESS BOX so another full version of Daz Studio starts.

-------------

Nice to get the two sessions going without fear.

Of course I had to do ALL my custom actions over again, several times, as for some reason NO export/Import Load workspace Save as --- none of that worked.

BUT! whenever I have a setback, I try to make the return even better.

So we're cooking now.

Whether settings are saved from an instance will depend on the settings used to launch the instance (or relaunch it later).

You do realise you can use the script to create shortcuts, for the desktop or wherever you want them, so you don't have to continuoually use the script to start a new isntance unless you need a different combination of options?

No, where and HOW is that done?

I made a shortcut of the script itself on my desktop.

AND, long as we're here....

The task manager shows minimal GPU usage during rendering...like top is 12%. Is that normal.... Power says high but nothing else is peaking.

edited May 2020

No, you can create shortcuts for the differnt instances of DS that you set up with the script. For example, run the script and set like this (to copy the layout which will create a new isntance called renderMule (I was thinking of using it as a renderer), taking its settings and UI from the General release (you can pick a different version or instance). I should probably have picked ne of the clean options to, so it starts as a clean copy of the chosen target. Don't check launch, we are going to make a short cut for that. The other two options are for passing additional arguments and for setting a file for that instance to load on launch (say a default scene).

Click Accept and an alert pops up showing the command line - click Copy to put it on the clipboard.

Now right-click on the Desktop (or wherever) and select New>Shortcut. Paste the copied command line into the location box and  click Next, then name your shortcut (e.g. DS RenderMule). Now you can use that short cut to launch the RenderMule instance of DS, and it will copy its settings and UI from the General release.

The task manager shows minimal GPU usage during rendering...like top is 12%. Is that normal.... Power says high but nothing else is peaking.

That's usual - Task Manager doesn't see the activity, if you go to the performance tab, go to the graphs for the GPU, and set one to CUDA (or Compute_0 on some systems) you will see the activity.

RenderMule setup.jpg
    341 x 262 - 21K
    RenderMule CL.jpg
    562 x 135 - 16K
    RenderMule Shortcut.jpg
    613 x 453 - 36K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

No, you can create shortcuts for the differnt instances of DS that you set up with the script. For example, run the script and set like this (to copy the layout which will create a new isntance called renderMule (I was thinking of using it as a renderer), taking its settings and UI from the General release (you can pick a different version or instance). I should probably have picked ne of the clean options to, so it starts as a clean copy of the chosen target. Don't check launch, we are going to make a short cut for that. The other two options are for passing additional arguments and for setting a file for that instance to load on launch (say a default scene).

Click Accept and an alert pops up showing the command line - click Copy to put it on the clipboard.

Now right-click on the Desktop (or wherever) and select New>Shortcut. Paste the copied command line into the location box and  click Next, then name your shortcut (e.g. DS RenderMule). Now you can use that short cut to launch the RenderMule instance of DS, and it will copy its settings and UI from the General release.

That's usual - Task Manager doesn't see the activity, if you go to the performance tab, go to the graphs for the GPU, and set one to CUDA (or Compute_0 on some systems) you will see the activity.

That's brilliant! Thank you, Richard! :D

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986

Hmmm, in the middle of a project so not jumping to the new edition just yet.

? When you have this new edition launched, and you open Hexagon and make a cube or something, send it over the bridge to D/S -- does it send it to the existing instance of D/S or launch a second session {like what it normally would do}, or does it just freeze or something quirky?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024
    edited May 2020

Hmmm, in the middle of a project so not jumping to the new edition just yet.

? When you have this new edition launched, and you open Hexagon and make a cube or something, send it over the bridge to D/S -- does it send it to the existing instance of D/S or launch a second session {like what it normally would do}, or does it just freeze or something quirky?

I'm not sure I did a true test of what you are asking, however....

- When I had sent something from Studio to Hexagon over the bridge, I could create a new model and send the new model back to the existing session of Daz Studio.  It did not open a new session.

- When I had Hexagon open, but no session of studio running, I could create a new model, send it over the bridge, and it would initiate a Studio session and place the new model in it.

- But, when I had Studio running with a figure loaded, did not send anything to Hexagon first, but just started a new Hexagon session and created a simple model, initiating the bridge within Hexagon appeared to do nothing.  Has it always been that way?  Or, did it start a new Studio session that I'm not seeing?  Could be several things. 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986
    Diomede said:
    ... edit ...

- But, when I had Studio running with a figure loaded, did not send anything to Hexagon first, but just started a new Hexagon session and created a simple model, initiating the bridge within Hexagon appeared to do nothing.  Has it always been that way?  Or, did it start a new Studio session that I'm not seeing?  Could be several things. 

This. Thank you.

It was not that way before no. It would open a second session of D/S.

So it would appear now then that the bridge will only work when only one of the programs is running to initiate it.

• GutoCraftsGutoCrafts Posts: 50

I'm really upset about this change. I hope they do not enforce this in future versions of Daz Studio. Please!

I'm really upset about this change. I hope they do not enforce this in future versions of Daz Studio. Please!

You don't want application instancing?