DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.120, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

chorse said:
    I am also having CMS issues with DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.118. CMS seems to stop when I start DS. If I restart CMS after DS has opened it stays running. I have uninstalled and reinstalled CMS and DS, deleted the index file etc. CMS runs fine, it's only when I start DS that it stops. It stays running after it is restarted manually. I really don't use CMS, but I just thought I should report the behavior.

Since you don't appear to use categories, I would recommend shutting down DS, uninstalling CMS,, deleting the database files, and reinstalling CMS (if you have DIM there is a stand-alone CMS installer, otherwise reinstalling DS will reinstall CMS.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

chorse said:
    I am also having CMS issues with DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.118. CMS seems to stop when I start DS. If I restart CMS after DS has opened it stays running. I have uninstalled and reinstalled CMS and DS, deleted the index file etc. CMS runs fine, it's only when I start DS that it stops. It stays running after it is restarted manually. I really don't use CMS, but I just thought I should report the behavior.

I have never touched the CMS ever since I first got DS4, I just let the DS installer do its thing and that's it, my CMS is fine with and without DS running, and I have the version you do. It seems to me that what one should and shouldn't do when installing new versions of DS is becoming something of a grey area, with some definite misinformation happening.

CHEERS!

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited February 2014

CMS is now working. I just deleted all the databases and restarted DS. I don't use the categories, but the CMS needs to be running for some of the DS functions like search to work.

Post edited by chorse on
    edited December 1969

Cool, I don't even use search, the ordinary content library will do me just fine and has since DS 1.

CHEERS!

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited February 2014

A couple of annoyances:

1. Why does "Save" work like "Save As" the first time you try to save after you have opened a previously saved scene? In every other application I have, when you select "Save" it saves/updates whatever is opened to the same name and directory. In DS it acts like a "Save As" which leads to the next annoyance.

2. When the save file dialog opens to offer you the name and directory to save, why doesn't it open automatically to the directory of the current scene? It appears to open to a previously saved directory.

This has been an issue for a while now. Perhaps this behavior should be corrected and brought in line with rest of the applications.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Post edited by chorse on
    edited December 1969

Not sure, I always use save as anyway so I wouldn't have noticed.

CHEERS!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You need to go to Edit > Preferences > General, and edit the Author information, then it will save correctly with Ctrl+S or File > Save.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited February 2014

CMacks said:
    I've submitted a ticket for my graphics driver problem. I also checked at the NVIDIA website: no drivers for my card for the Mac are available. I think they have a deal with Apple that all updates go through the Apple software update system...

Are you sure it is a graphics card problem? I uninstalled and went back to an earlier version so can't check the sequence but I think you said that the pose corrected itself if you moved a limb or something (can't seem to find that post now). Anyhow, I'd like to add a me-too to your bug report - do you have the number?

Oh - can't seem to find the bugs website - my old link doesn't work now. Guess that's one way to keep the bugs to a minimum ;)

Post edited by marble on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    CMacks said:
    I've submitted a ticket for my graphics driver problem. I also checked at the NVIDIA website: no drivers for my card for the Mac are available. I think they have a deal with Apple that all updates go through the Apple software update system...

Are you sure it is a graphics card problem? I uninstalled and went back to an earlier version so can't check the sequence but I think you said that the pose corrected itself if you moved a limb or something (can't seem to find that post now). Anyhow, I'd like to add a me-too to your bug report - do you have the number?

Oh - can't seem to find the bugs website - my old link doesn't work now. Guess that's one way to keep the bugs to a minimum ;)

It's a new system. You submit it as a help request to Tech support, stating that is a bug report.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

The bug reporting link is https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new
    Which you can get to by clicking on the Help tab > "Contact Us" from the main page, then clicking on the Submit+ button near the text ."Submit a help request"

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

I am currently running DS 46018. Will installing 462118 overwrite the previous DS or do I need to uninstall older version before installing newer one?

edited December 1969

The latest version of DS will uninstall the previous one for you. 4.6.0.18 was a general release, so there shouldn't be any problem.

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Thanx for the info.

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited December 1969

it's normal when i use the "POINT AT" (on light)
    the light turn to oposite side?

or the feature work only in specific object!

edited December 1969

cm152335 said:

What kind of light are you using, and what do you have it set to point at?

With a Distant Light or Spotlight, 'point at' keeps the light pointing at whatever you have selected it to point at in the Parameters pane, no matter where you move the light.

Can you explain your problem a bit more fully?

edited December 1969

cm152335 said:

What kind of light are you using, and what do you have it set to point at?

With a Distant Light or Spotlight, 'point at' keeps the light pointing at whatever you have selected it to point at in the Parameters pane, no matter where you move the light.

Can you explain your problem a bit more fully?

simply

i have a "spotlight" on the scene, i select "POINT AT" (on caracther) and he turn to oposite side!

edited December 1969

Point at is for making a Spotlight (or other light) Point At a character. The character should not move at all.

Create a Spotlight, select the Light in the Parameters pane, then select the character you want the light to 'Point At' The light will now always point at the character no matter where the light is placed in the Scene. You do not enter anything for the character (Figure), and don't use it's point at feature, only the Spotlight point at.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

cm152335 said:

i have a "spotlight" on the scene, i select "POINT AT" (on caracther) and he turn to oposite side!
    (emphasis added) It sounds like maybe you are selecting Point At on the character's parameter which will make the character turn to face the light.

If you want the spotlight to point at your character, you need to have the spotlight selected in your scene tab, then on the parameters pane, change the Point At and choose the character you want to point the light at.

Two more notes...

1. Pointing the light at the character will technically point it at their hips. That's the root of the character's skeleton. If you want it to point at a particular body part, you'll need to expand the character's skeleton to select that part.

2. Point at can also be handy when you want the character to be looking at the camera. Expand the character's body parts, select each eye, and Point At the camera. Warning, though, this will not move their head, change their eyelids, etc. It will just rotate the eyeballs; so you may need to adjust the pose slightly to make it look natural.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Hmm... are you sure it doesn't point towards the "object centre" point? Which doesn't necessarily have to be inside, or even anywhere near, the object itself? That would probably do a pretty good job of messing up the "point at" function.
    edited December 1969

I don't know of any characters where the 'centre point' is nowhere near the figure?

If you do, then you may well be right, but on the whole, I think my answer was correct, but thanks anyway.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Maybe not characters, but I've been bitten by this situation often enough with props like swords or arrows usually for Genesis — they load in, or at least close to, a character's hand, but their origin points are way down at World Zero down between the character's feet. Makes it very difficult to move and pose individual items unless I poke at the alignment setup.

edited March 2014

What I did with a light I wanted to point at a character was to to load up a box primitive, position that to where I wanted the light to point, tell the light to point at it and then make the box selectable yet invisible. For my portraits, I parented the box to the character's head so that, no matter what the pose, the light will point where I want it to. If you want the light to point to something else, unparent the box and move it to the other part, and, if you want to, parent it to that part.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

just use a NULL instead, no geometry, no overhead and can be used to Point At.

edited December 1969

The box is low poly and roughly the size of the figure's head, so I don't think there's much overhead. It's nice to have something you can select to grab and move if necessary.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

on Smart content "Wardrobe"

there is not "SHOES" section for Genesis 2!

edited December 1969

Under Wardrobe, there is 'Footwear', that would include shoes, boots and any other kind of footwear.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

*Sigh* Saved V4 STILL loses her head morphs....

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Can you give a bit more info?

I just saved V4 as a DUF Scene file, and all her head morphs are there.
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Can you give a bit more info?

I just saved V4 as a DUF Scene file, and all her head morphs are there.

That means SQUAT! Morphs seem to get lost in the longer term. Suddenly I go to apply a made expression and nothing happens. The only fix is to rebuild the character from a fresh V4 annoying....

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

If that is your attitude you will never get it 'fixed' as isn't broken for those of us that know how to use Studio and properly set up your libraries.