Carrara Export Terrain - Unity3D Import Terrain

ema_ro23ema_ro23 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello, I have problems when I export a terrain from Carrara to Unity3d. I'm exporting as FBX but when I import it in Unity
I have only an empty field. How do I export all?

thanks!

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

The terrain is not like a vertex object. Its elevation is generated by filters, formulas and height maps- or all together. You may need to convert it to a vertex model first. From there, I'm not sure of the best way to get it into Unity. Can it accept. obj files or is it just .fbx?

Now keep in mind, I don't have any experience with exporting to .fbx, I'm just regurgitating what I've read. ;-) I do believe the version of .fbx is important from what I have read. I would make sure that Unity can properly read Carrara's version to avoid additional issues.

Wendy is the resident .fbx guru 'round these parts, so if you don't see a more definitive response than mine, you may want to seek her out.

• EximorphEximorph Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

If Unity uses height maps, it would be easier to export the map from Carrara than converting to a vertex model.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Eximorph said:
    If Unity uses height maps, it would be easier to export the map from Carrara than converting to a vertex model.

I agree. Assuming for a moment that height maps would work, then you'd need to make sure to export it after all the filters were applied so they would be baked in to the exported map. You would also need to know the map size(s) that would work and also the image format(s).