Carrara Challenge # 52 - Carrara Cryptids WIP thread--Entries Ended

CbirdCbird Posts: 493
edited June 2020 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Cryptids Welcome to Carrara Challenge # 52

The rules from your newbie host:

1. Have some fun using Carrara to create illustrations of  "known" cryptids or show us your "newly discovered" Carrara cryptid.
  2. Feel free to make use of any render engine that Carrara can use.
  3. Post work is acceptable but please post a post work free image in your WIP post(s).
  4. At least one WIP post per image please. Tips and tricks always appreciated.
  5. You can enter up to five (5) images per artist in the entry thread when it opens.

DEFINITION

The rather stuffy definition of a cryptid from Wikipedia is

"animals presumed by followers of the cryptozoology pseudoscientific subculture to exist on the basis of anecdotal or other evidence considered insufficient by mainstream science. While biologists regularly identify new species following established scientific methodology, cryptozoologists focus on entities mentioned in the folklore record and rumour. Entities that may be considered cryptids by cryptozoologists include Bigfoot, Yeti, the chupacabra, the Jersey Devil, the Loch Ness Monster, or Mokele-mbembe. "

From <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptids>

Gizmodo helpfully adds,

"Contrary to popular belief, cryptids don’t have to be supernatural, mythical or even all that strange — though many popular creatures acquire these characteristics as their legends grow. In truth, the field of cryptozoology covers everything from scientifically plausible but poorly documented animals to demon-like monsters seen only in dark forests and shaky video footage"

From <https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/07/what-is-a-cryptid-the-gizmodo-guide-to-undocumented-and-unusual-beasts/>

AWARDS AND DATES

Awards will be

1. Total participation (total votes per artist): $50 toward DAZ3D owned item(s)
  2. Best render (total votes per one render): $50 toward DAZ3D owned item(s)
  3. Most humorous (as voted by Daz public): $50 toward DAZ3D owned item(s)
  4. Best newcomer/long absent returnee (in other words, someone who hasn't won before): $45 toward DAZ3D owned item(s)

An artist can only win one prize.

The Entry thread will open around May 20th and closes at the end of June 1st Daz Time.

Thank you to UnifiedBrain for much help. All errors are mine!

Post edited by Cbird on

Comments

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited April 2020

CLASSIC CRYPTID EXAMPLES

The classic cryptids get a lot of the attention.

Bigfoots abound.

Like a lot of cryptids, they present the challenge of the BAD photorealistic image!

Who can forget the classic Loch Ness Monster portrait?

And then, there is the movie classic, Harry and the Hendersons.

But cryptids aren't restricted to photos. You can look for them anywhere you like.

Nazca lines maybe?

Oregon.jpg
    225 x 225 - 13K
    ScientificAmerican.jpg
    275 x 183 - 18K
    classicBad.jpg
    300 x 168 - 6K
    Nessie.jpg
    239 x 211 - 9K
    HarryHendersons.jpg
    259 x 195 - 12K
    Nazca Lines.jpg
    840 x 594 - 311K
    Post edited by Cbird on
    edited April 2020

More Examples

How about medieval manuscripts?

Or the edges of old maps, or maybe you've discovered a new cryptid on the walls of a Mayan temple?

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!

Some Daz inspiration:

https://www.daz3d.com/sasquatch

https://www.daz3d.com/the-great-kraken

https://www.daz3d.com/chupacabrap8dog

https://www.daz3d.com/sea-dragon

https://www.daz3d.com/mayan-temple

medieval ms.png
    684 x 356 - 406K
    Colossal_octopus_by_Pierre_Denys_de_Montfort.jpg
    225 x 346 - 22K
    Post edited by Cbird on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited April 2020

Fun theme.  Looking forward to seeing what folks come up with.  My thinking cap is on.

Just a fun thought, if a cryptid doesn't have to be mythical or all that strange, how about an evil wizard's search for an east Asian woman with green eyes?  Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

No. I'll probably do some sort of creature feature.  Have to brush up on my morph skills.  Maybe this is just the prompt I need to use 3D Coat to sculpt and make normal maps to touch up one of my custom beasties.

In any case, challenge accepted.  smiley

Lo Pan

big trouble 1.jpg
    500 x 306 - 41K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

Fun theme.  Looking forward to seeing what folks come up with.  My thinking cap is on.

Just a fun thought, if a cryptid doesn't have to be mythical or all that strange, how about an evil wizard's search for an east Asian woman with green eyes?  Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

No. I'll probably do some sort of creature feature.  Have to brush up on my morph skills.  Maybe this is just the prompt I need to use 3D Coat to sculpt and make normal maps to touch up one of my custom beasties.

In any case, challenge accepted.  smiley

Lo Pan

Can't wait to see your creations!

My own all time favourite cryptid. I refuse to believe they don't exist. laugh

https://youtu.be/TijcoS8qHIE

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

I was scared of the bunyips as a kid

we went fishing every weekend and I think it was to keep me away from the river

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hmmm ... first one that comes to mind, gamara

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

Wokadeemas! Their blood curdling cries can be heard at sunset emanating from the woods, especially around Bermagui and Kangaroo Valley!

I've heard them when on camping trips.... during the recent apocalyptic bush fires the firemen had those funny feelings of being watched! Some, when asked about them wouldn't answer but just turn white with fear and turn away..  they are the scavengers of the forest cleaning up the carcass's and those nearing their demise..

you thought drop bears were bad!

I was scared of the bunyips as a kid

we went fishing every weekend and I think it was to keep me away from the river

I checked out pics online. I'd have been terrified too! 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976

_ cool theme _

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    ed3D said:

_ cool theme _

+1

Well-presented Cbird.  Love your creativity. :)

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Yes, cool theme Cbird!
    Your example of medieval manuscripts reminded me of woodcuts of demons and monsters from that time period. They always looked really scary and haunting.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Great stuff Cbird, lots to play with in this topic. Looking forward to seeing what genius works come out of it!

cheers

Thank you, folks! I can't wait to see what comes creeping out of Carrara. I hope everyone has a lot of fun and a little mental vacation from current stresses.

edited April 2020
    Diomede said:

Ha! Diomede - that movie is loads of fun, so clever on so many levels!

Here are a few I found for inspiration:

Illustrations from Walt McDougall's Good Stories for Children, 1902-05
    http://monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2015/11/illustrations-from-walt-mcdougalls-good.html

The Bakemono Zukushi "Monster" Scroll:
    https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/the-bakemono-zukushi-monster-scroll-18th-19th-century

Fantastically Wrong: Ridiculous Mythical Critters Dreamed Up by 19th Century Lumberjacks:
    https://www.wired.com/2014/08/fantastically-wrong-ridiculous-mythical-critters-dreamed-up-by-19th-century-lumberjacks/

This last one is looking to be pretty funny, the caption under the "Hugag" reads: "The hugag is like a moose, minus the knees and the diginity", and from the opening pargraph of the article: "Nowhere else has a mythology formed so beautifully in a perfect amalgam of too much whiskey, too little sleep, and perhaps some accidentally consumed magic mushrooms."

walt_mcdougall_web.jpg
    1294 x 928 - 251K
    bakemono_zukushi_scroll.jpg
    964 x 867 - 125K
    domo_komo.jpg
    1059 x 1072 - 96K
    oyajirome.jpg
    392 x 512 - 45K
    hugag.jpg
    660 x 562 - 140K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

http://monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2015/11/illustrations-from-walt-mcdougalls-good.html

Great find, DD!  Very creative artist.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited April 2020

Wonderful references, DesertDude!  I got some inspiration for a quickie that immediately went off the tracks.  The classical Satyr of mythology.  I did some searches for classical art and sculpture.

No, no, no, I can't post those reference images of Greek pottery or sculpture!  devil

I know there are Satyr's in the Daz store that use a geograft, but I have an idea of my own.  I will use Genesis 2.  I remember that M4 had creature creator add-ons that combined conforming figures for the creature parts with transparency shaders to hide the underlying figure's parts.  Will try something similar with the later figures.  I think Genesis 2 with Carrara hair could make be much better than M4 in Daz Studio.

Here is a safe for work Satyr reference.

satyr reference.jpg
    428 x 553 - 97K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2020

The Mariner's Tale

I went for light and etheric.

Characters are Aiko 3 and Hippocampus, along with the mertail from Mermaid Girl (original The Girl).  The A3 outfit is Techno Tabby (highly modified).  Hair is Elita.

The GMIC filter stack is Basic Color Adjustment, Freaky B&W, and Mighty Details.  Lighting includes Aura (on Hippocampus) and HDRI, but no GI.

No postwork.

The Mariners Tale.png
    1700 x 1133 - 3M
    The Mariners Carrara Setup.JPG
    1656 x 1028 - 254K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Just realized, I posted the first render.  OMG, I beat Stezza!

Mark your calendar, folks. It may never happen again.smiley

The Mariner's Tale

Characters are Aiko 3 and Hippocampus, along with the mertail from Mermaid Girl (original The Girl).  The A3 outfit is Techno Tabby (highly modified).  Hair is Elita.

The GMIC filter stack is Basic Color Adjustment, Freaky B&W, and Mighty Details.  Lighting includes Aura (on Hippocampus) and HDRI, but no GI.

No postwork.

Love how dreamy this is. The pose on the hippocampus looks floaty (is that a word?)

Lol, maybe a new category for a winner.  laugh
    Lots of nice atmospherics happening in your image - cool!

Diomede - looking forward to your creation!

and a great looking render it is... but I think @bunyip02 usually gets the first image up followed by @diomede I'm slow compared to those two wink

edited April 2020

Wokadeemas!
    Their blood curdling cries can be heard at sunset emanating from the woods, especially around Bermagui and Kangaroo Valley!

I've heard them when on camping trips.... during the recent apocalyptic bush fires the firemen had those funny feelings of being watched! Some, when asked about them wouldn't answer but just turn white with fear and turn away..  they are the scavengers of the forest cleaning up the carcass's and those nearing their demise..

wokWiP.JPG
    1234 x 745 - 237K
    Wokadeema.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Diomede said:

Ha! Diomede - that movie is loads of fun, so clever on so many levels!

The Bakemono Zukushi "Monster" Scroll:
    https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/the-bakemono-zukushi-monster-scroll-18th-19th-century

Fantastically Wrong: Ridiculous Mythical Critters Dreamed Up by 19th Century Lumberjacks:
    https://www.wired.com/2014/08/fantastically-wrong-ridiculous-mythical-critters-dreamed-up-by-19th-century-lumberjacks/

This last one is looking to be pretty funny, the caption under the "Hugag" reads: "The hugag is like a moose, minus the knees and the diginity", and from the opening pargraph of the article: "Nowhere else has a mythology formed so beautifully in a perfect amalgam of too much whiskey, too little sleep, and perhaps some accidentally consumed magic mushrooms."

must have given a lot of kids nightmares!

The Mariner's Tale

No postwork.

beautiful and ethereal - amazing thats without post work - super impressed

Stezza said:

Wokadeemas!
    Their blood curdling cries can be heard at sunset emanating from the woods, especially around Bermagui and Kangaroo Valley!

thse intestines are blood curdling enough - we got rid of our Wokadeemas in the great Wokadeemas drive of 1837 - started at Kickatinalong and went all the way to Bringsomeginaback - 5 miles wide - beaters every 18 inchjes and a man with a shotgun every 12 feet

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,657
    Stezza said:

and a great looking render it is... but I think @bunyip02 usually gets the first image up followed by @diomede I'm slow compared to those two wink

Okay, okay, I have been a little slack this time around !!!

Nice renders UB & Stezza.

Now what critters shall I render - decisions, decisions ........

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,657
    edited April 2020

Tyrannochicken - rumoured to have escaped from a clandestine cloning lab. Giant Chicken with the legs of a Tyrannosaurus Rex !

ChickTrex 1.png
    1600 x 2105 - 3M
    ChickTrex 1 Carrara.png
    2265 x 1039 - 871K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

ha ha that's some chook Bunyip02 - lookes better than the mince I have been eating

edited April 2020

last week downloaded my entire product library via dim onto a separate hard drive - amazing what stuff I have bought that I have never seen - but of course I cant find anything

here's a start

was going to be bigfoot foot print but will have a little fairy in th e grass I think.... as soon as I can find where the fairy wings are stored 

scrap.jpg
    2017 x 1378 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on