What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    Gordig said:

Twonruun

Discovered the rim multiplier, and that seems to be the key to getting more in-depth shading. I also picked up the Sketchy Iray shaders as part of the Dasan sale, so I may post some of my results with that. Honestly, though, all this toon shading experimentation is mainly just serving to convince me that the results aren't worth all the time and energy I'm putting into them, and I'll just keep doing regular Iray renders.

I've mixed opinions about the sketch shader. Its more of a toy to me than a workable product. I get much nicer sketch options out of photoshop.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

^ Love it! His face is really good!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I think your Mamoth render is truely amazingly beautiful!!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

Gaijin

The Japanese word for "foreigner". Are these gaijin seeing Japan as it really is? Or is this just what they expected to see?

This is exactly the type of scene I may not be able to do once I get a decent GPU. I originally had dForce hair on Darcy, but that caused my computer to fully lock up when I tried to render.

Good Boy

He really was.

edited April 2020

^ *WEEPING* crying

Post edited by Hylas on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

What a beautiful render @Gordig!

It reminds me of a movie I watched with my kids yrs ago called "All Dogs Go To Heaven"

Thank you both. The reactions to my last several renders are a sobering reminder that you don’t get points in art for trying harder. Gaijin is conceptually somewhat complex and took a long time to set up and render, whereas Good Boy came from kind of a throwaway idea, and I could have set it up in a few minutes if I had a better recollection of which settings to use for volumetrics. Similarly, I spent a lot of time setting up Señora, tweaking the titular señora’s facial features to better showcase her expression, getting the framing just right for what I wanted to express, and I really liked the idea behind the scene. By contrast, I don’t even consider Woolly Panic done, and I certainly didn’t put anywhere near the same level of care into what you see, because it was more of a dumb joke than a serious artistic exercise. In both cases, the lower effort of the two gets far more attention. If I take a lesson away from this, it probably won’t be the right one.

Anyway, I’ve got several more renders in the works. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234
    Gordig said:

Thank you both. The reactions to my last several renders are a sobering reminder that you don’t get points in art for trying harder. Gaijin is conceptually somewhat complex and took a long time to set up and render, whereas Good Boy came from kind of a throwaway idea, and I could have set it up in a few minutes if I had a better recollection of which settings to use for volumetrics. Similarly, I spent a lot of time setting up Señora, tweaking the titular señora’s facial features to better showcase her expression, getting the framing just right for what I wanted to express, and I really liked the idea behind the scene. By contrast, I don’t even consider Woolly Panic done, and I certainly didn’t put anywhere near the same level of care into what you see, because it was more of a dumb joke than a serious artistic exercise. In both cases, the lower effort of the two gets far more attention. If I take a lesson away from this, it probably won’t be the right one.

Anyway, I’ve got several more renders in the works. 

much prefer the gaijin one.  Dog one was cringey-earnest at best.

edited May 2020

YOU MONSTER

No, seriously, it's a cute scene!

Lighting is pretty flat, though. It almost looks like you left the auto head lamp on and the baby's skin seems to dark/brown to me.

Oh, and I love the guys expression on Liquid Sunshine!

Post edited by Hylas on
    Hylas said:

Lighting is pretty flat, though. It almost looks like you left the auto head lamp on and the baby's skin seems to dark/brown to me.

I actually did experiment with the headlamp for a bit before abandoning that in favor of a point light. The ambient light in the Danaides set is virtually nonexistent, or I would have relied more heavily on that. I still don’t have a good sense for how to light scenes effectively, especially given my proclivity towards dark scenes.

As for the baby’s skin being too brown, well...it’s not a white baby.

Hylas said:

Oh, and I love the guys expression on Liquid Sunshine!

Thank you, that was kind of the centerpiece of the scene for me. As soon as I had the idea for the scene, I knew I wanted to replicate a face Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes made frequently. I was originally trying to use Toon Boy, but to my considerable surprise, that morph is actually quite resistant to extreme facial expressions.

Overboard

The first of three nautical and/or mermaid themed renders I'm working on right now, and ironically the last one I started. The first one was intended for MerMay the 4th, and I'm just having a super hard time getting it lit the way I want. The second is an idea that I've had for a while, but hadn't been able to execute to my satisfaction. Even now that I've got it set up in a way that I'm kind of okay with, it's another scene where I'm probably trying to do too much.

Gordig said:

The second is an idea that I've had for a while, but hadn't been able to execute to my satisfaction. Even now that I've got it set up in a way that I'm kind of okay with, it's another scene where I'm probably trying to do too much.

And here is that scene:

For Spain!

Finally, the scene I wanted to post more than a week ago:

Mermaidichlorians

edited May 2020

Going back to basics a bit with a portrait-style render. I'm also experimenting with some of the body hair options I've accumulated, including lightBLUE's full-body hair from Renderotica and Babina's vellum hair. The lightBLUE hair seems like it was definitely meant to be used on a nude character (which would not be surprising), but I could probably tweak it a bit more to make it work with clothing because it's poking through all over the place, and that's after I removed her shin guards. I'm also not a fan of the fact that it's a single mesh, and you can't for example, add just the leg hair, or the arm pits, or whatever else; it's all or nothing. The vellum hair doesn't seem to be showing up at all.

Bring It large 2_comp.png
    2430 x 4320 - 8M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited May 2020

My wife and I keep track of ridiculous things we say or hear that would make good band names, book titles, etc. I thought it would be fun to render some of the book titles out and have my wife design the typeface to turn them into actual looking book covers. Here I present "Belly Button Lint is a Character Flaw".

BBLIACF_comp.png
    2700 x 3600 - 6M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Oh yeah, I also made this dumb thing a little bit ago. I’m not remotely interested in the kind of over-the-top bodybuilder renders that got people so excited for Auto Muscle Enhancer, and truth be told, most Daz figures are more muscular than I’d prefer, but I ended up buying it because of its usefulness for more realistic posing and the way it can bring out the musculature. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

(That's me screaming in horror as I fall down the uncanny valley.)

It’s really not so bad down here. 

edited May 2020

Another book cover:

Nobody Wants Your Butt (something we have to say to the cat fairly often)

And rough drafts of two more:

There’s No Running From Regina King - Aniyah is the character I have who most resembles her, but she still doesn’t look THAT much like her, so I’ll need to do quite a bit more tweaking.

The Weepy Tabby - basically just a sketch at this point. I’ve played around with creating big cartoon tears in modeling programs using particle systems, but they’re not turning out the way I want. I’m probably just overthinking it, and I should just UltraScatter or something. I may add a dog putting its paw on the tabby’s shoulder or something like that. 

1AECBBE1-E3E0-4282-9B0E-442F9F9C8552.png
    750 x 1000 - 1M
    4AD9CC6B-B183-4077-A485-B6946A79A0D8.png
    750 x 1000 - 768K
    EBD97F73-3DB0-4AC4-965E-D1B90A2552A1.jpeg
    3085 x 3488 - 5M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

There’s No Running From Regina King

She looks insanely homicidal. surprise What did that guy do to cheese her off so bad?

But awww, don't cry, tabby! It's so sad when cats are sad. :C

There’s No Running From Regina King

She looks insanely homicidal. surprise What did that guy do to cheese her off so bad?

He knows what he did.

The phrase came about while I was watching Seven Seconds, a miniseries in which she plays a mother whose young son was killed in a hit and run. She gets frustrated by the police investigation and starts trying to get to the truth herself. At some point, some fool thinks he can run away from her, and she proves him very wrong.

But awww, don't cry, tabby! It's so sad when cats are sad. :C

He’ll be fine. He’s just sensitive. 

^ very cool!

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

The guy on the right has the bigger guns, but the guy on the left has more savage raeg. I don't know who I would bet on.

The guy on the right has the bigger guns, but the guy on the left has more savage raeg. I don't know who I would bet on.

I actually had to scale Maxx down to make it look like more of a fair match...and to fit him into the scene. Maxx is YUGE.

Reveille

This is my first time playing around with the sun/sky settings to reveal the sun, since I only recently learned that it was possible. The trees in Expedition Africa weren't as high poly as I was hoping for; maybe I should have instanced that UltraTree, but it's probably fine the way it is. I just realized when I pasted the render into this post that one of the trees is levitating, so I'm re-rendering. Anyway, here it is.