DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.120, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited February 2014

Aside from getting hot because it's in a laptop and has hardly any internal cooling, I haven't had any issues with the Radeon in this laptop and it has run DS really well. I'm on top of the drivers for the new Radeon I have and will keep checking the site between now and when I install it to see what's new. They do state that the software that comes with the card will check for updates, but, I will also check the site myself too.

One thing that did annoy me when I switched to Windows 8 was that driver support for the hardware I have was patchy at best and hasn't improved any since. For sound and graphics drivers I am in fact using Windows 7 drivers! One reason why I'm getting Windows 7 for the new build is that I know there is better driver support for the hardware I'm getting.

Of course, one thing to note is that some cards with either chipset are better than others. The new Radeon I have is an Asus and they also do good NVidia cards too. It can depend on who the card manufacturer is as to how good the card is and what the driver support will be. Asus look to be good with that side of things. NVidia and AMD themselves would only supply reference drivers for that chipset and not necessarily the card they happen to be on.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

It is funny - Radeon versus Nvidia is nearly as bad as Poser/Daz or PC/Mac ... LOL

I refrained from buying a Radeon for my "new" (now it's nearly two years old) computer because I had read to many help/issues messages here in the Dazforums about Radeon cards. There are Nvidia problems - but usually they are fixed with new drivers. The problems of Radeon owners that couldn't be helped were what made me shy away from them.
    Everybody has different configurations ...

edited December 1969

Yeah, well, as I said, that can depend on the manufacturer of the card itself and not the chipset it has on it. There are expensive cards with AMD and NVidia chipsets and there are cheap ones. You'll get what you pay for. That was why I went with Asus for my build, they seem to be a good manufacturer and the card I got had good reviews and is a good all round card, and I got a good price for it.

CHEERS!

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited February 2014

I stopped buying Radeon when AMD bought ATi (acquisition was completed in 2006). The old argument was AMD processors for business and Intel for gaming, so when AMD bought a gaming graphics card, I flew the coop, went to Nvidia, and haven't looked back (except I buy EVGA builds of Nvidia cards for the factory overclock and every one I've bought has been stable).

I also do clean installs every driver update (completely wipe original driver, including preferences), which I think is a factor when getting drivers working properly.

Also factor in how many people will build a system without factoring in required power from the power supply, whether components will properly work together to begin with, etc.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Each to their own I guess,

I knew from this machine that a Radeon would work for me and I've made sure while planning the build that everything has the maximum compatibility. I know that the power supply I've bought has enough juice to run the card and everything else. I don't game and the Radeon in this has run without issue with both PP2012 and DS4.

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Of course, one thing to note is that some cards with either chipset are better than others. The new Radeon I have is an Asus and they also do good NVidia cards too. It can depend on who the card manufacturer is as to how good the card is and what the driver support will be. Asus look to be good with that side of things. NVidia and AMD themselves would only supply reference drivers for that chipset and not necessarily the card they happen to be on.

Not quite...99.99% of the time the actual driver files are just the reference drivers. The 'support' files like the Control Panel applet may be 'logoed', but the drivers themselves aren't touched. And usually are one or more builds back from the current WHQL drivers from Nvidia or AMD.

And it has been about 10 yrs since there were actual 'card not chipset' specific drivers for ANY GPU...even the highend workstation cards don't have card specific drivers, these days.

edited February 2014

Ok, well, I will still keep checking the card manufacturer's and AMD's website for updated drivers. There is a beta driver on the AMD site, but, it only says it's for the 7xxx and not the specific card I have, the last driver for that is dated last Nov, so that ought to be fine. I've never been totally sure of betas and would rather go for one that was a proper release. And anyway, at some point, the particular model of card is bound to be superseded.

CHEERS!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited February 2014

I put an AMD fire pro in my 32G machine last spring due to it being preferred for use with the Luxrender. I have had no issues

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Mmm, nice, Lux is definitely one thing I'm planning to experiment with when I get the new build done, how much graphics memory does your card have?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

2G or more it was an expensive card

edited December 1969

Cool, mine has 2gb. What type was yours, mine is GDDR5.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Not sure if DDR5 was available yet believe its 3

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i can't uninstall CMS. i want to reinstall 4.62## to a new hard drive petition. how can i uninstall CMS?

Thanks.

erroruninstall.JPG
    817 x 937 - 106K
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Could be, it's interesting that most motherboard RAM is still DDR3 and yet most graphics cards are 5.

CHEERS!

edited February 2014

Who cares its a nice system and much more fun to work on much less buggy the my piece of S*&t HP laptop.. Its a prime example of how having quality components has a machine running smoothly.

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

i can't uninstall CMS. i want to reinstall 4.62## to a new hard drive petition. how can i uninstall CMS?

Thanks.

Can you not do it with Control Panel!? If you can't do it with the Daz uninstaller, that would seem to be the other logical way.

CHEERS!

edited February 2014

Bobvan said:
    Who cares its a nice system and much more fun to work on much less buggy the my piece of S*&t HP laptop.. Its a prime example of how having quality components has a machine running smoothly.

I hear you, that's why I'm building what I'm building.

CHEERS!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Thanks.

Can you not do it with Control Panel!? If you can't do it with the Daz uninstaller, that would seem to be the other logical way.

CHEERS!

Yep CMS is uninstalled via the Control Panel > Uninstall a Program or via Start > All Programs > DAZ3D > DAZ Content Management Service folder

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

I've submitted a ticket for my graphics driver problem. I also checked at the NVIDIA website: no drivers for my card for the Mac are available. I think they have a deal with Apple that all updates go through the Apple software update system...

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited February 2014

Are there any plans to update PowerPose for the new bones (pelvis, abdomen, abdomem2, jaws, toes etc.) in the Genesis 1 & 2 characters?

When PowerPose was called Pantomime we could customize through the interface, but DAZ took that capability away when they took it over. From what I understand it's just an XML file that needs updating. It would also be nice if a sensitivity setting was added to PowerPose.

Post edited by chorse on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

Chorse, funny you should mention that, I was just going to mention that it STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED and to provide a link to a user-created fix. I just reinstalled it myself and can confirm it works with this version. Now if I can just figure out how to uninstall my old version...how the heck do you uninstall it when there's no uninstaller?...

PowerPose fix and instructions
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9650/

Hope it helps!

SnowS

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Rogerbee said:

Thanks.

CHEERS!

Yep CMS is uninstalled via the Control Panel > Uninstall a Program or via Start > All Programs > DAZ3D > DAZ Content Management Service folder

Why are you wanting to uninstall the CMS?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Rogerbee said:

Thanks.

CHEERS!

it gives me the same error message. i've tried it with cms running and not running.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:

Could be, it's interesting that most motherboard RAM is still DDR3 and yet most graphics cards are 5.

CHEERS!
    http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-the-difference-between-ddr3-memory-and-gddr5-memory.186408/

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Rogerbee said:

Thanks.

CHEERS!

it gives me the same error message. i've tried it with cms running and not running.What Error message? Hard to help when I have no idea what error your getting in DS.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Szark said:
    Rogerbee said:

Thanks.

CHEERS!

it gives me the same error message. i've tried it with cms running and not running.What Error message? Hard to help when I have no idea what error your getting in DS.
    Previous page.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/36902/P240/#550673

edited February 2014

Chorse, funny you should mention that, I was just going to mention that it STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED and to provide a link to a user-created fix. I just reinstalled it myself and can confirm it works with this version. Now if I can just figure out how to uninstall my old version...how the heck do you uninstall it when there's no uninstaller?...

PowerPose fix and instructions
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9650/

Hope it helps!

SnowS

Thanks. Installed the package and they work great. The new image templates are nice too. :)

@DAZ development. Why not include the fix in DS and the install manifest from now on. A couple of years of testing seems to have worked out most of the bugs. So far, I have not had an issue with the fix.

Post edited by chorse on
    edited December 1969

CMacks said:
    I've submitted a ticket for my graphics driver problem. I also checked at the NVIDIA website: no drivers for my card for the Mac are available. I think they have a deal with Apple that all updates go through the Apple software update system...

Ok, cool,

We'll leave the graphics card situation there till you get a response then.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I am also having CMS issues with DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.118. CMS seems to stop when I start DS. If I restart CMS after DS has opened it stays running. I have uninstalled and reinstalled CMS and DS, deleted the index file etc. CMS runs fine, it's only when I start DS that it stops. It stays running after it is restarted manually. I really don't use CMS, but I just thought I should report the behavior.

edited December 1969

AniMate2 is frequently crashing DS 4.6.2. XX 64bit while posing a figure using the universal manipulator, IK, and a blank aniBlock. Bug report made.

This seems to be an issue in the last few versions of DS 4.6.2.xx. I have to basically save the scene after each keyframe to ensure I don't loose work. AniMate2 appears more stable in last general release DS 4.6.1.39 .