WIP - Badge for pith helmet

VarselVarsel Posts: 574
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

As part of a bigger project, I have started to create a pith helmet (for M4) .
At the front is a big and shiny badge.
So what I am going to try to do is to create the badge in detail and high poly.
Make a render in Carrara, and then use the render to create a low-poly.
UV-map it after the Carrara render, so the render can be used as a texture-map.
In Carrara you can also render out a depth picture in gray scale.

This is not a copy of an existing badge, although the design is borrowed from a UK design.

Comments

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What a gem of a model. :coolsmile:

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

Very nice model.Thanks for sharing.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Really neat model and an interesting concept. Please keep us updated on progress.

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Nice details. Great work. :)

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

That is great, love the detail. It would be good to see if your idea works, keep us posted and good luck with this project :)

• m_m_italym_m_italy Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Is O.K.
    Bravo.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your nice words.

I did a quick and dirty test, and it seems like it might work.
    The low-poly object isn't to good so it will be remade.
    The one one the left is with a normal-map, created with ShaderMap2 http://shadermap.com/home/
    The one on the right is with just a bump.map.
    I'm working this weekend, so the final work has to wait until monday..

emblem3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 253K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Really stunning effect, Varsel - if it's not a trade secret, could you take us through the process in Carrara?

• edited December 1969

Hey that is a great idea.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Really stunning effect, Varsel - if it's not a trade secret, could you take us through the process in Carrara?

It's actually quite easy to do, just a few details to be aware of.
    But give me until monday, and I'll make a tutorial on how to do.....
    Or if johnnybevo wanna make a video tutorial, I can make some quick notes to him...
  • edited December 1969

sounds good write it up and post it, then when I get caught up I can do it.
    should not take to long to put it in video format.
    I think it would be nice to have a tutorial written and in video format. somewhere in the written tut we could put a link to the video.
    I have two video series I am working and some stuff I am working on on the side.
    at some point I would like to collaborate with someone on taking a model from hex to daz studio for rigging and also a car tutorial.

• wdsmith1959wdsmith1959 Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    As part of a bigger project, I have started to create a pith helmet (for M4) .
    At the front is a big and shiny badge.
    So what I am going to try to do is to create the badge in detail and high poly.
    Make a render in Carrara, and then use the render to create a low-poly.
    UV-map it after the Carrara render, so the render can be used as a texture-map.
    In Carrara you can also render out a depth picture in gray scale.

This is not a copy of an existing badge, although the design is borrowed from a UK design.

I have several of your medals and clothing apps. They're great! What I need to do is to create both a "Pour Le Merite" (Blue Max) medal and also an Imperial Iron Cross. I have no earthly idea how to do this. I was hoping to find more detailed tutorials for Hexagon. I'm also needing to create some uniforms for M4 and V4, particularly an Imperial German aviator's uniform such as worn by Rittmeister Baron Manfred Albrecht Frieherr Von Richthofen, aka "The Red Baron". I have several reference photos, I just do not know where or how to begin!

BLUEMAX.jpg
    170 x 213 - 14K
    edited December 1969

Well here's the badge attached to the helmet. (The helmet still needs some work...)
    The polycount for the full detailed badge was 58.000, and the "lowpoly" is 1600.
    I'm not satisfied with the color of the badge, and it should have some reflection, but that is just some adjustments in the shaders and texturemap..
    The total polycount for the helmet is 10 000. A bit high, but it isn't optimized yet.
    @WolfmanJack1959
    I'm glad you like my other stuff. That someone uses them, makes it a lot funnier to make them.
    I don't know what your modeling experience is... but creating stuff for Daz/Poser figures takes time. Conforming clothing also involves a lot of work, beside the modeling, to make it fit the targeted figure.
    A prop as your medals, can be easier, as Daz Studio, Poser and Carrara allows for import of .obj files.
    I 'll start to make a tutorial today, on how to create something like this. It will be basic. Just showing the workflow, to give you all an idea on how to start.
    Tutorial for modeling techniques in Hexagon you can find in the first tread in this forum.
    Geek at plays are my favorite, but also Johnnybevo's are very good.

emblem4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 283K
  • wdsmith1959wdsmith1959 Posts: 60
    edited July 2012

This looks great! I have no modeling experience at all. Its something I need to learn to go with everything else. At 52, I've gotten started late trying to work for my Associates Degree in Graphic Design. I've been an illustrator for years, but I was introduced to Photoshop in 2009, and that got me hooked. So I was approved for the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Online Division in 2010, so hopefully I can get finished with that early next year. I have only been using DAZ Studio for just a few months. I've gotten hooked on that as well. I need to learn how to do 3D modeling. I am interested in learning how to do conforming clothing for DAZ figures. Eventually, I may start with Poser. I did get the basic Poser program, but it really sucks. I wasted $49.00 on it.

The Imperial German Iron Cross seems to have some sort of thin "springy" sort of inlaw on the front. I'm not sure what the black part is made out of, but it is a matte sort of substance that was molded with the German crown at the top, with a W in the center (most likely this stands for "Weimar" or "Wilhelm". Not sure, lol), and has "1914" at the bottom. The Nazi's changed this later to hadd a Swastika in the center and "1939" at the bottom, commemorating the start of the war when Germany invaded Poland. I'd love to be able to model the black and white ribbon with it and the Pour Le Merite so that I can fit it to V4/M4/Genesis figures.

german-iron-cross-1914-1st-class.jpg
    600 x 600 - 95K
    Post edited by wdsmith1959 on