3ds Max and DAZ Content Discussion and Resource Thread

124»

Comments

• edited September 2013

Hi streetfreak_4,

It should work with 4.6 (that's the one I am using) and any new versions.

I have checked and its because I released a debug build, and so it was trying to load files that only come with Visual Studio that I was using to develop it.

I am uploading a new version now.

I am fairly sure the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables (for release anyway...) come with Daz, at least they appeared to be installing on the VM I tested it on, so you shouldn't need anything else, but let me know if the new one doesn't work.

SJ

EDIT: OK, it has been updated! Same link as before: https://github.com/sebjf/dazmaxbridge/releases/tag/preview0.2

Post edited by sebastian.friston_f34eb580c1 on
  • streetfreak_4streetfreak_4 Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

That did the trick. Cool progress in here, with subsurface material and morph additions this could make for a smooth workflow. (Obviously easier said than done)

• edited December 1969

Hi streetfreak_4,

Good to hear. Well it is open source for a reason ;)

Really though, HSS is next on my list, and I consider that the big outstanding feature of 'version one'.

The way Daz operates underneath is pretty interesting. When I first started I imagined it would operate much like the games I am used to, with a single mesh, with a limited subset of properties, and skinning/deformations done in a shader.
    What we actually have is a set of meshes (shapes such as Genesis) and modifiers (morphs, poses) which, in a pipeline, are combined with stages such as surface subdivision to produce a single mesh (Cached Geom) which is then drawn by the graphics API.

The point is, Studio's value in content creation is as much in how the assets are combined, as it is simply a portal to this massive collection. For example, say you were to take the base Genesis figure in the T-pose in Daz, and copy it into Max, and then skin it in Max. If you posed this character identically in both, you would see subtle differences because of how the two applications operate.

This is where I reckon exporters in the past have gone wrong - by trying to recreate Daz functionality in order to map the TriAx Skinning etc, to formats with more limited concepts, they just ended up poking holes in the seamless experience Studio offers, and caused my character's shirt to be 2cm up from where it should be.

My thinking is that Daz functionality should be used as much as possible. Daz has designed their application in such a way as you can do almost anything from the SDK (you can even start an instance of Daz with no GUI), so I would guess this is the approach they favour as well.
    Instead of trying to replicate or 'port' Daz content to Max, Studio should be used in tandem to create assets which are shared by the applications, but in a seamless way.
    So whereas before my endgame was, for example, to transfer skinning data, now its to enable the user to actually pose the asset in Daz, but using the Max UI...

The next task after sub-surface materials will be to find a way to update meshes in Max really quickly, since that is where the biggest delay comes from at the moment and will be important if we are ever to create a truly live link between the two programs.

Hope you find it useful until then though!

• streetfreak_4streetfreak_4 Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

Bumping with some new findings. I've learned it is possible to get a complete import with muscle bulges, facial morphs, animation, texture - everything. However, it requires the use of some expensive software and plugins...

The workflow is iclone>3dexchange(plugin)>daz>DSON_importer(plugin)>poser>poser fusion>3D Studio Max (or maya, cinema 4D..etc)

That is an intense pipeline 0.0

It may be worth it for some people who use VRAY sub scattering to get very quality results with perfect animation.

But damn, it makes me appreciate Daz for what it is in its simplicity.

Cheers

• mrmdk187mrmdk187 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Total Newbie

I work a lot with inventor pro but started using daz last week.
    Downloaded 3ds Max last night.

I have a project that is pretty simple but is not going that well.

I need to take my model including the pose from Daz to 3ds max then to cut 3d "which is a 3d cnc G code writer"

I was able to get my model minus the pose into 3ds max, export as dxf but cut 3d will not open it. The file is just to large.
    Also cut 3d likes Stl more then dxf.

Any ideas?

• John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

I believe you will be in contravention of copyright if you try to make a true 3D representation of a DAZ model. However, it is unlikely you will get a DAZ figure to generate an stl file as they aren't a contiguous solid and tend to have crossing vertices once posed. The same argument applies to 3D printing.

I find the easiest export route to 3DS Max is via the FBX 2010 option including animation.

edited December 1969

I will look into the copy right.

Thanks

No matter what I will need to figure this out.

edited December 1969

I might have thought about it - just for evaluation purposes you understand - and concluded it would be easier to build the figure from scratch than clean up a DAZ figure.

edited December 1969

Just because this thread has reappeared. :-)

Herewith a V6 figure expoted into 3DS Max and rendered with iRay.

cal_test_MARCH_reduced.jpg
    1348 x 1926 - 1M
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

mrmdk187 said:
    I will look into the copy right.

Thanks

No matter what I will need to figure this out.

If you check the DAZ 3D EULA you will find that it specifically states that 3D printing is only allowed with permission from DAZ 3d and the purchase of a 3D printing license.

The creation of three-dimensional physical images (3D-print, molded copy, CNC-routed copy, and the like) of Content or any three-dimensional art derived from the Content is permitted only by User’s purchase from DAZ, via the User’s online DAZ store account, of permission to deliver User’s derived works (art), including necessary Content, to an entity that creates three-dimensional images in a physical medium. User may then deliver User’s art in file format to that third party to have three-dimensional physical images printed or created, up to the limitations set forth in the online DAZ Store as delineated on the purchase page associated with the permission purchased. These limitations govern (i) personal and/or commercial use of the three-dimensional physical or printed images; and (ii) the quantity of three dimensional physical or printed images allowed.

edited December 1969

chohole

Thank you!
    I will buy one today.

I still need to figure out how to get the file done right.

edited December 1969

I have taken to exporting as static objs recently as the skinning is so much better looking that way. Also I can use multiple figures in one scene where previously strange things would happen due to duplicate bone names.

Obviously I don't have the convenience of being able to tweak the pose, which is something of a pain. Also I have found that unless the figure and garments/hair etc are exported as one mesh strange things occur. This is also something of a pain as the associated multi-sub material is unique to the character and quite large.

I previusly created a library of materials which I could throw at the in coming model, V6 skin, hair etc. Unfortunately as these are combined in the obj I have to modify the incoming multi sub to attach the library materials line by line, which is somewhat laborious.

On the plus side, I have had to address many of the materials in my library to make them iRay compatible (my new favourite renderer) so I had to do stuff any way.

Any road up, a little trial done today. Previously this pose was out of bounds in Max as the skin would twist at the elbows.

HDR_Sun_worshiper2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 598K
    edited December 1969

I re ran the previous render using a (very complicated) set up I found for SSS skin using the IRay material base. It is rather good but takes some setting up.

HDR_Sun_worshiper_v2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

The sub surface shading is a big pain to set up with IRay materials. There are so many variables and, while some have parameters applied to them, changing the setting quite dramatically seems often to have little effect. I have finally achieved about what I am looking for though.

I love the bloom on the shoulder and the translucency of the nose particularly.

testx12xx.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

A study in different lighting solutions in 3DS Max rendered with iRay

Clockwise from top left:-

HDRi environment - Skylight - taken from Showcase

HDRi environment - Speed - taken from Showcase

MR Sky environment

HDRi environment - Green Room - taken from Showcase

light.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M