Creating Big City Scenes in DAZ Studio

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

My first go at creating a big city scene. 

Bet that's pricey real estate!

I like your HDRI, makes it look like an ocean front resort city The helicopters also add a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.

This new product looks very interesting: V3Digitimes Buildings and Skyscrapers Generator Vol. 1 If anyone gets it, hope you'll post some images.

• deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 297
    RGcincy said:

This new product looks very interesting: V3Digitimes Buildings and Skyscrapers Generator Vol. 1 If anyone gets it, hope you'll post some images.

And the latest from Ansiko. which appears to be directly inspired by downtown Tokyo:

Crossroads City Blocks

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited April 2020

I wonder if the reason for the massive number of images loading upon starting to render is due to having so many cameras in the scene?  And also, could DAZ Studio crash if there are too many Dreamland props in the big city scene?

I am still wondering about the list of items, including buildings, that RGcincy used in his big city scene.  It sounds like he did a great job in creating the big city and preventing DAZ Studio from crashing.

RG, how many polygons in total were in the big city you created?

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • I wonder if the reason for the massive number of images loading upon starting to render is due to having so many cameras in the scene?  And also, could DAZ Studio crash if there are too many Dreamland props in the big city scene?

I very much doubt those are linked.

I am still wondering about the list of items, including buildings, that RGcincy used in his big city scene.  It sounds like he did a great job in creating the big city and preventing DAZ Studio from crashing.

A tremendous number but I never loaded everything at once. I would load sections, turn off the surrounding terrain and sky, render using the same camera and lights, then save as a .png to preserve the transparent areas. Then I would composite them in GIMP as layers. Depending upon the products, some load quite quickly and other very slowly (usually when they had a lot of large texture maps).

I found my list the other week, I'll post it. 

edited April 2020

This is a complete list (I think) of the products used to construct my Big City (other views). Those products with links are to items currently in the Daz Store. Products without links were either previously in the Daz store (e.g., many of the Dreamland Model products) or were obtained from another site.

1. 1950's Era Motel
    2. 20 Lo-Rez Vehicles
    3. BBQ At the Park
    4. Building Site Buildings
    5. Central Pump Station
    6. Children Outdoor Playground
    7. Collective3d Baseball Field
    8. Cottage House - Iray Neighbourhood Edition
    9. County Crime Lab
    10. Department Store
    11. Divided Highway (sometimes)
    12. Dubious Townhall
    13. Faded Industry
    14. Grain Elevator
    15. i13 Theatre with Poses
    16. i13 Warehouse and Offices
    17. 1stBastion's Buildings Hospital Emergency
    18. 1stBastions Neighbours: Front Drive
    19. 1stBastion Buildings: Police Station
    20. Kids Play Area
    21. Le Village Church
    22. Monto Varchi Convention Center for DS
    23. Mountain Valley
    24. Movie Sets: City Block 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
    25. Movie Sets: Fishers Warehousing
    26. Movie Sets: Low Poly Blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    27. Movie Sets: Riverfront
    28. New York Brownstones
    29. New York Stores
    30. Night and Day City for Daz Studio
    31. Packratt Storage Units
    32. Parthenon Bank
    33. Picnic Area Exterior
    34. Polygon City, Industrial Zone
    35. Powerage The Factory
    36. Prison Yard
    37. Public Outdoor Pool
    38. PX Rooftop
    39. Rubble in the Bronx: Alleyway
    40. Sawmill
    41. Single Homes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    42. Small Sports Hall
    43. Steamworks
    44. Steel Town Blast Furnace
    45. Steel Town Refinery Bundle
    46. The Backstreets
    47. The Church
    48. The Construction Site
    49. The Neighbour's Yard
    50. The Tower
    51. Urban Living
    52. Urban Playground
    53. Urban Sprawl 2 The Big City
    54. Urban Sprawl 3
    55. Warehouse Building with Items
    56. Workshop

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincy said:

A tremendous number but I never loaded everything at once. I would load sections, turn off the surrounding terrain and sky, render using the same camera and lights, then save as a .png to preserve the transparent areas. Then I would composite them in GIMP as layers. Depending upon the products, some load quite quickly and other very slowly (usually when they had a lot of large texture maps).

I found my list the other week, I'll post it. 

How do you turn off the surrounding terrain?  I know one efficient way of doing it, and that is by parenting some items to the main River Front prop, creating a group out of it, and hiding it.

I agree, adding the entire scene at once is not such a good idea. I sure learned the hard way when I realized the magic of adding scene subsets one at a time.

I clicked the link to one of the items on the list (Parthenon Bank, to be exact), and the item does not exist.  Unless the link has changed..

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited April 2020

I discovered some of the items on RG's list are presently marked down to $1.99 as of the time of post.  I am going to see if I can purchase whatever I can tonight while there is a chance.

I agree, it's good to render some sections of the city and import them as layers in a program such as Photoshop, GIMP, or if doing animation, a program such as Adobe Animate (formerly Flash animation).

Of the products RG listed, I have the following:

Collective3d Baseball Field
    Department Store
    1stBastion's Buildings Hospital Emergency
    1stBastions Neighbours: Front Drive
    Mountain Valley
    Movie Sets: City Block 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
    Movie Sets: Fishers Warehousing
    Movie Sets: Low Poly Blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    Movie Sets: Riverfront
    At least one of the Dreamland Single Homes sets that RG mentioned
    Steel Town Blast Furnace
    Steel Town Refinery Bundle
    The Neighbour's Yard
    Urban Sprawl 2 The Big City
    Urban Sprawl 3

I apparently have 16 of the 62 products, maybe slightly more, and I understand I don't need all of the remaining products.

However, I am surprised you didn't include a school in your work.  The Schools Out set would be very useful and I recommend it.  Unless it is no longer being offered in the DAZ Shop.

EDIT: As of April 7, 2020, I just purchased nine more items each of which were all marked down to roughly $5 or less.  I plan on buying other items in the coming months.

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • XelloszXellosz Posts: 742

https://www.daz3d.com/how-to-craft-and-populate-and-detail-big-cities-in-daz-studio

Someone was able to open the pptx?

I tried with libre office and Google slides but I got errors. Will try it later with other software.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    Xellosz said:

https://www.daz3d.com/how-to-craft-and-populate-and-detail-big-cities-in-daz-studio

Someone was able to open the pptx?

I tried with libre office and Google slides but I got errors. Will try it later with other software.

LibreOffice 6 can't read it; an online pptx viewer came back with "unknown file format". I could unpack it with 7Zip - but it claims ppt\media\image7.gif fails CRC check. I haven't found anything that can process the unpacked xml files into readable text yet.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,084

I don't have this product, but I have a suspicion that the pptx extension is Power Point.  You can get the free verison of that for Android devices, I think.  Odd that someone would sell a product based on that rather than on Adobe's PDF format, which everyone should be able to read.

Dana

DanaTA said:

I don't have this product, but I have a suspicion that the pptx extension is Power Point.  You can get the free verison of that for Android devices, I think.  Odd that someone would sell a product based on that rather than on Adobe's PDF format, which everyone should be able to read.

Dana

It is (supposed to be) powerpoint. It also appears to be corrupt as LibreOffice claims it is broken (and I agree - this may havestarted as a powerpoint but it should have ben converted to pdf before release).

• XelloszXellosz Posts: 742
    namffuak said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

It is (supposed to be) powerpoint. It also appears to be corrupt as LibreOffice claims it is broken (and I agree - this may havestarted as a powerpoint but it should have ben converted to pdf before release).

Microsoft PowerPoint to has problems with it, do you want to repair it etc... then trust issues with the pictures as they need to be downloaded(?) or something like that.  XP

I'll look in to see what's up with the file and check with Digital Art Live about an update if possible.

RGcincy said:

I'll look in to see what's up with the file and check with Digital Art Live about an update if possible.

I've owned the product since the day after the release - and quite honestly, I've never even tried to look at the Power Point file until now. I've been through the videos multiple times, and seem to get something new out of each pass. (I spent way to much of my professional career creating or suffering through Power Point presentations and cheerfully abandoned the technology when I retired 11 years ago laugh)

namffuak said:

I've owned the product since the day after the release - and quite honestly, I've never even tried to look at the Power Point file until now. I've been through the videos multiple times, and seem to get something new out of each pass. (I spent way to much of my professional career creating or suffering through Power Point presentations and cheerfully abandoned the technology when I retired 11 years ago laugh)

Glad you find the videos helpful. If you've watched the video you've seen the PowerPoint slides as they are all shown in the video. It's just in the PowerPoint the images are more clear and static if you want to study them closely. There was one embedded gif in the sides which is probably the source of the problem. The other couple of gifs shown in the video are not in the slides. I have found that in looking back at these same gifs in this thread they are not showing any longer (Giphy says the owner set them to private but I haven't changed any settings). I may have to reupload them to the thread and update the ppt too. Will let you know.

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 912
    edited December 2020

Hello,

I have just purchased the "How to Craft and Populate and Detail Big Cities in Daz Studio" product, and as mentioned above, I see that the PowerPoint presentation is still broken, but the videos are very helpful. However, several times during the video it is mentioned that there is a document that has a lot of supplementary information. However, I didn't get this documentation with the product I purchased. Is it available for download somewhere?

Thanks for any help with this.

EDIT: I have just done a manual download of this product and the documentation was in the Zip files. It didn't come across when I used Install Manger. I do wish the PowerPoint was fixed though.

nabob21

Post edited by nabob21 on
    edited December 2020

Thanks for updating on the document issue.

I've sent you a PM with a link for the PowerPoint as a PDF file. Anyone else who purchased and can't use the PowerPoint just PM me. DAL will be submitting it as an update to the product.

• Latest in alleys/laneways, with a cyberpunk flavour:

https://www.daz3d.com/neo-city--alley

RGcincy,

I'm not sure if the site mail is working since I didn't get your PM. I will send you one with my e-mail address. Please let me know if you don't get it.

nabob21

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2020

nabob21 said:

RGcincy,

I'm not sure if the site mail is working since I didn't get your PM. I will send you one with my e-mail address. Please let me know if you don't get it.

nabob21

Don't forget that there are 2 separate site mail inboxes.  One on your Account dashboard is for messages from Daz 3d   and the one on your account Profile is for forum PMs.

Edited to add that you access that one by clicking on your name under your avatar
    Post edited by Chohole on

@nabob21 I did get your first PM's and responded. Obviously you are not getting the ones I am sending so I'll respond via the email I got from you. 

Chohole, it appears none of them are working for me.

RGcincy I have the file now. Thank you very much.

• This has just come out, though it's more fantasy-style than modern urban:

https://www.daz3d.com/valley-of-the-cliffs-village-world-and-village-builder

It looks very interesting. I'd hate to be the one living there and climbing those steps though! (although you'd stay healthy I suspect). I wonder how easy the houses are to kitbash?

• This is an amazing thread with so much detail, and useful information... thank you so much!!

edited March 2021

Thanks! Ask if you have questions or post examples of your own work.

• deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 297
    edited April 2021

ICYMI...

https://www.daz3d.com/scifi-rooftop-cyberpunk

Just for fun, I put the Chinese/Kanji neon sign (父七已 山一下刀 官水) through Google Translate, and the translation was what you'd expect from cycling it back & forth. To the creator DarkEdgeDesign: does it actually mean anything, or is it just random "hanzi smatter"?

Post edited by deepred6502 on