DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.120, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Where did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials to? There are two files to download and install, Genesis Starter Essentials AND Genesis 2 Starter Essentials, the second one contains both the Male and Female Genesis 2.

The files you are looking for are installed into the 'data' folder in your DAZ Content Library, nine are here :

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Male

Make sure that the Library that holds the 'data' folder is listed in the Content Directory Manager, or DS will not be able to find them. If you installed using DIM, into the default location, then you should have C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library listed as BOTH Poser and DS Formats.

DSF is only used in the 'data' folder, and the figures are loaded by using a DUF file from My DAZ 3D Library.

Yeah I figured it out and noticed that some files did not download properly and I then tried to install them as is.
    I guess that happens when you download that many files over 4/5 days, you end up missing things.
    The sad thing is, I am only half way there downloading all the files... although I can't imagine using all the files so I may not anyway.
    Thanks! :)

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited February 2014

Rogerbee said:
    chorse said:
    I always do a custom installation, so you just has to make sure you verify the installation path. I don't think it's a big deal, I'm giving users a heads-up that this is what occurred on my installation. :coolsmile:

Actually, I am much more concerned about getting to the root of the extremely long load and save times that have occurred in the last few versions. :question:

The one time I noticed long load times was where an object in the scene contained a mesh smoother, like converted hair or clothing. I haven't checked that with the new version yet.

One thing I did do which sped things up a lot was to clean up my start-up menu, this is where Windows stores programs it thinks you will want to open when Windows launches. About 85% - 90% are things you don't need and can disable. You can access it via msconfig on older versions of Windows or Task Manager on newer ones. DS loaded a lot quicker after I cleaned that up.

CHEERS!

Thanks Rogerbee, I do not have any converted products in the scene. The increased load times, compared to the last general release, are universal on whatever scene is loaded. This has been a problem with the previous two betas and current general release. The content directories are set up identical except for the individual programs installer. Here are some examples:

A full scene (85MB):

DS 4.6.1.39 64bit:

Load scene: 1 minute
    Save scene: 50 seconds

DS 4.6.2.106 64bit beta:

Load scene: 7:30 minutes
    Save scene: 25:15 minutes

A base scene with just an environment (515Kb):

DS 4.6.1.39 64bit:

Load scene: 9 seconds

DS 4.6.2.118 64bit GR:

Load scene: 44 seconds

As you can see, there is quite a difference between the previous general release and the current one. I think it is something that was changed since the last GR or perhaps the way DIM installs the beta makes it slow to read the directory data. I have multiple poser and DS content directories so maybe it's that.

Thanks again.

Post edited by chorse on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Hmm quite a difference,

What has anyone else noticed!? Guys, we need to compare notes!

CHEERS!

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

Is anyone else experiencing this crazy behavior with the new version of DS?

Load scene with V4 and clothing. Select V4, apply pose or expression. Result: body disappears while clothes take new pose. body ends up nude and in default pose until you tweak something, then she pops back into position!! I cannot deal with this.... Please help! This is happening virtually every time.

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

CMacks said:

Load scene with V4 and clothing. Select V4, apply pose or expression. Result: body disappears while clothes take new pose. body ends up nude and in default pose until you tweak something, then she pops back into position!! I cannot deal with this.... Please help! This is happening virtually every time.

Virtually every time in a virtual world!

sorry could not resist lol... back to lurker mode ... engage!

edited December 1969

Good one ;) but the problem is ... real... :\

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I haven't been able to duplicate that, either with old ..daz scenes or a new .duf scene. Does this happen regardless of the scene/clothing/poses used?

edited December 1969

I haven't been able to duplicate that, either with old ..daz scenes or a new .duf scene. Does this happen regardless of the scene/clothing/poses used?

I've tried it with a few scenes saved in 4.6.0.188. I'll play around more and report what I find... Is no one else seeing this?
    edited December 1969

Are you absolutely positive you have V4 selected in the scene when you apply the pose!? If the clothes are assuming the pose and she isn't then it rather sounds like you haven't selected her when you've applied it.

Give this a try

CHEERS!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited February 2014

CMacks said:

Yes - I got the same problem. I suspected that this might be unusual (I use mainly V4 with several 3rd. Party morphs) so I didn't bother reporting it here. I just reverted back to an older version but now some of my plugins won't reload (GoZ and Dynamic Clothing Control are the ones I've tried so far).

Post edited by marble on
  • hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Could you please change the display of the lock and favourite icons on each of the parameters? Right now you only display these icons when you hover over a parameter. This is fiddly to use because you have to wait until the hover takes effect and then pops up the icons. Especially fiddly when you have locked something, try to click unlock, then all icons pop up and the favourite icon takes the place of the lock icon. This always ticks me off...

Please just display all the icons at all times. This is really not cluttering the screen if you keep them in a darker shade as long as they are not active. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Are you absolutely positive you have V4 selected in the scene when you apply the pose!? If the clothes are assuming the pose and she isn't then it rather sounds like you haven't selected her when you've applied it.

Give this a try

CHEERS!

I'm definitely selecting V4. *ALL* the clothes, hair, jewelry, etc take the pose. It's totally bonkers.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It sounds like a viewport refresh issue -- is your video card close to the required level or well above it?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It sounds like a viewport refresh issue -- is your video card close to the required level or well above it?

Some viewport issues can be 'fixed' by toggling the viewport optimizations, in the preferences...

And another thing along those lines...what video card are you using?

If it is an Intel onboard video solution, then every build of DS that uses a new/updated build of qt runs the risk of developing OpenGL problems as Intel has the worst and 'laggiest' OpenGL implementation around.

edited February 2014

This is a Macbook Pro retina with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card, w/ 1Gb VRAM. Not sure how to check if that should suffice or not.

BTW - I haven't seen this problem when using G2F, only V4... Granted, my G2F scenes are less complex (if that matters.)

I found the minimum specs here: http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-tech-specs/

so I should be ok with my system.

Post edited by CMacks on
    edited December 1969

CMacks said:

This is a Macbook Pro retina with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card, w/ 1Gb VRAM. Not sure how to check if that should suffice or not.

BTW - I haven't seen this problem when using G2F, only V4... Granted, my G2F scenes are less complex (if that matters.)

I found the minimum specs here: http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-tech-specs/

Should be adequate, as far as the card goes...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2014

i’ve found that when i highlight something in the scene tab,
    when i go to the surfaces tab, it doesn’t follow what’s selected in the scene tab,
    i have to select again.
    -is that supposed to happen?
    edit: i think my problem here was, wasn't using the surface selection tool. :)

i was dragging the rosethorn skirt to M6, i didn't see it in the scene.
    did it again, did it again
    the fourth time it took, and i saw it in the scene tab as skirt(4).
    -the first 3 went to infinity and beyond?

i was experimenting with layouts for dual monitor.
    i dragged the scene tab to be on the pane with parameters, etc,
    but then when i tried clicking something in the pane, the whole thing closes.
    -any way to make it stay open?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Items should appear in th Scene pane even if you can't see them in the viewport - select them there and press ctrl/cmd-f to frame them and see where they are in the viewport.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

it was listed once, but with the (4) suffix to it.

maybe M6 really didn't want to wear it. :lol:

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    CMacks said:

Should be adequate, as far as the card goes...

Should I submit a bug report for this? If so, can someone remind me how to do that? Thanks...

edited December 1969

Are your video card drivers up to date!? If you go to the NVidia site and key in the model of the card in their support section, you should be able to see if there are any new drivers available. What is the performance of your card like elsewhere? Is there something like a Device Manager on a Mac where you can check to see if the card is working as it should? It's best to check everything as I'm sure this is the kind of info Daz will want should you file a bug report.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Are your video card drivers up to date!? If you go to the NVidia site and key in the model of the card in their support section, you should be able to see if there are any new drivers available. What is the performance of your card like elsewhere? Is there something like a Device Manager on a Mac where you can check to see if the card is working as it should? It's best to check everything as I'm sure this is the kind of info Daz will want should you file a bug report.

CHEERS!

On the Mac, the video drivers get updated only through the regular software update system. So, "by definition", my drivers are up to date. Thanks.

edited December 1969

CMacks said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

On the Mac, the video drivers get updated only through the regular software update system. So, "by definition", my drivers are up to date. Thanks.

Which means absolutely that they aren't...the OS supplied drivers are ALWAYS several builds back from the 'stable' releases and many builds back from the 'bleeding edge' beta versions that gamers live for. Which basically means that if it is an OpenGL problem (which it could be) then there's no fix until Apple pushes a newer driver version through the update channel. (It could also be an Apple driver specific problem...or even an Apple OS problem).

At this point, the best guess...it's a driver/viewport problem (probably Apple specific) and that you should file a ticket.

edited December 1969

If memory serves, quite a lot of OpenGL issues and viewport issues both with DS and Poser have involved NVidia cards. Have a search through these forums and the bug report ones and see if anyone has had any similar issues. I have actually shied away from systems with NVidia cards because of issues that I've read about. My current laptop has a Radeon and I have bought one for the new system too.

CHEERS!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

I've never once had a problem with my nvidia cards. I have had numerous issues with the ATI's I've owned. including have to replace them cause they fried. I replace the same card 3 times in my last setup that used an ATI cause it kept going bad.

edited December 1969

In order of overall problems with OpenGL...Intel, AMD, Nvidia.

But there are times when AMD and Nvidia swap places with having driver problems. Right now, both seem to be doing pretty well. Intel has, and it's been this way for a very long time, very poor OpenGL implementations. Many years ago, Intel jumped, with both feet, onto the DirectX bandwagon and has only given minimal support to OpenGL since.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking the OpenGL thing is also another OVER ALL PC configuration issue. My last two PC's were both custom builds with higher end nVidia cards and never a issue, knock on wood. I have seen posted before PC's with almost the same power as my old one but different components as the base and they just refuse to run DAZ Studio properly. I never have been able to help one of those users resolve the issue.

edited February 2014

Jaderail said:
    I'm thinking the OpenGL thing is also another OVER ALL PC configuration issue. My last two PC's were both custom builds with higher end nVidia cards and never a issue, knock on wood. I have seen posted before PC's with almost the same power as my old one but different components as the base and they just refuse to run DAZ Studio properly. I never have been able to help one of those users resolve the issue.

With OpenGL drivers are everything...and Nvidia and AMD are constantly tweaking them, mostly for performance, but also to add new features. At the same time, developers like the Qt project are pushing the limits on what features are used. So an update to DS that includes a new build of Qt that needs features exposed in a fairly recent driver update will always cause problems on a 2 yr old OS install with similarly aged vendor supplied drivers...

Even if you bought your video card last week, unless you downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia or AMD, chances are that the drivers installed are minimally 3 months behind...but more likely 6 or more months back. On average Nvidia runs several (more than six) updates/per year; AMD has a similar amount; Intel...one if you are lucky. And those do not count beta drivers (bleeding edge). The video card vendors may update at half that rate (a couple that cater to the high end gaming market may do more) and manufacturers like Dell, etc at an even lower rate. (No idea of Apple's update policy/schedule...)

Speaking of which...the latest Nvidia drivers, WHQL certified were released two days ago...so...are your drivers up to date?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As I have a top end GeForce card and use the GeForce Experience Driver updater yes I'm up to date and stay that way.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    As I have a top end GeForce card and use the GeForce Experience Driver updater yes I'm up to date and stay that way.

Wish more would...or check at Nvidia more often. Sure helps...I seldom have driver issues also...but I do manual updates...frequently.