What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,029

Since I don't want to use G2, and don't have GenX to transfer the Reptilian to G3 so I can XTransfer it to G8, I've been trying to kitbash my own reptilian creatures. I'm finding it surprisingly hard to get the kind of snout I want, but here's where I am for now.

Reptilebash.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,745
    Gordig said:

Hylas said:

- "Tonme": If the word is supposed to be pseudo-Japanese you need a vowl between the N and the M: Tonume or Tonome. The Japanese never put two consonants next to each other.

That is generally true, with N (sometimes rendered as M depending on the word) being the notable exception. "Nihongo" is the Japanese language, "nihonjin" is a Japanese person, and for that matter, Japan itself is "nihon", not "nihonu". Then you have words like "senpai", "ganbaru", "ninja", the brand/surname Honda, etc. There are also emphasized consonants, like "matte", and some single syllables are written with two consecutive consonants like in its raw form "matsu".

Languages are my thing. My Japanese isn't very strong, but I know quite a lot about the language, and can read and write it, if quite laboriuosly. I also speak Korean and Chinese, and have studied numerous other languages, as well as language itself.

LOL, I was feeling fairly confident about my comment and you promptly throw several counter examples at me... blush

I'm actually part Japanese. But I grew up in Europe, so my Japanese is garbage... I can't write or read. "Tonme" just didn't strike me as Japanese sounding word which is why I said something... but I could very well be off the mark here.

I re-postworked Yamowe. She's LESS green now, but still looks a little off. Maybe I need to re-render after all.

An early working of Frejlamh ("fray-lum"), the queen of the as-yet-unnamed cat people. Due both to the irregular morph of her head and the fur, I'm having a hard time accessorizing her the way I'd like to. Despite buying the body chains specifically for her character, I'm not sure they'll end up working. Her headdress is a combination of a couple things I don't remember off the top of my head. And don't worry, that pelt she's wearing is wolf. Presented with and without dForce sim on her fur. I like different aspects of both, but either way, the fur on her face looks a little too sparse.

Frejlamh nosim.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    Frejlamh sim.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M

Supporty Shorties

Meet Fosim, Pren and Kita (L-R). No points for guessing where they're from. They are support crew for the expedition.

Pren is the driver of the support wagon. He's full of youthful bluster and a bit impetuous, but ultimately good-natured. He thinks he has a shot with Kita. He totally doesn't, but don't tell him I said that.

Kita is the horse handler. She is a very kind, gentle soul, extremely supportive and empathetic, and fun-loving. I'm debating whether or not she's Juzo's younger sister.

Fosim is the cook. Humble and friendly, earnest but not overly serious.He is the most religious member of the expedition (although I haven't yet worked out the details of any of the world's religions).

I had a really hard time dForcing their clothes to work in this scene. Fosim was originally wearing the dForce monk outfit, but that would not stop exploding, so I ended up with the dForce medeival warrior outfit and sweater knit shaders. Even after I got some decent sims, I had to contend with a lot of poke-through, and eventually just clone-brushed over the last little bits of Fosim's tunic that I couldn't morph out. Some of the posing could use some work, the ancient textures on the wagon need some tweaking or replacing, and I may re-light it.

Beryl is a Morloan heavy who tempers his typical Morloan arrogance with a jovial nature. I will not apologize for his name. I bought Maxx a couple months ago, but only picked up the Brute yesterday, so I thought I could use a heavy or two.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Building worlds and especially characters is a lot of fun. And a lot of work, yes, but good fun. Characters also tend to spawn new ones left and right. Been ther, done that. Or actually, still doing that ;)

Nice to follow your expanding crew!

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

This is a really interesting world and its inhabitants you're creating here! smiley Keep'em coming!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

What an amazing world you are creating here @Gordig!!

edited March 2020

I'm glad you're all enjoying it! I feel like continuing to develop characters is a way of procrastinating from actually writing the story and rendering out panels, but it's a lot of fun regardless. Speaking of which:

Sabaaka hails from the mountains surrounding Grev. Though his people are mostly insular, staying safe from the reptiles high up on the snowy peaks, Sabaaka conducts trade with Grev.

Sabaaka's people are basically stand-ins for dwarves, and I went back and forth on whether I wanted them to be more evolved gorillas or mountain goats. Ultimately, I thought goats would be more interesting, and humans are already apes, so making another species of apes felt redundant.

Post edited by Gordig on

Reptilian

I still have yet to name the reptilian species that serves as the primary antagonists of the story, and roughly stand in for orcs. 

edited March 2020

Dawan is a Karsaean heavy, hot-tempered and rather warlike. 

I've wanted the Kakenda outfit for a long time, but now that I actually have it, I'm not that into it. It looks like it was made for the Black Panther movie (and I'm not sure about the chronology, but it was probably made after the movie came out and was influenced by it). It's still a good outfit, but maybe not that suitable for what I'm doing right now.

Post edited by Gordig on

^ Very cool character! Only the shoes make my eyes twitch frown

Hylas said:

^ Very cool character! Only the shoes make my eyes twitch frown

Yeah, I'm definitely doing something about those. I like the general style, but those platforms have got to go. I may try editing them down to a more modest heel, or even flats, but it would probably be a lot easier just to switch them out for sandals or something.

And now, for a brief change of pace, it's a Dead Man's Party

Waiting for an invitation to arrive

Going to a party where no one's still alive

Will anyone who attends the party survive? surprise And is that Elvis singing? The hair's greyed a little, but you can't argue with the Jailhouse Rock outfit.

Dawan is really cool, it's neat to see a female heavy! You can really tell by looking at her that she's strong enough to rip up a medium-sized oak roots and all. As for the outfit, it looks great, but maybe a little on the glamourous side for wearing on an expedition? It's a fantasy story, though. Doesn't have to make 100% perfect logical sense. x)

Will anyone who attends the party survive? 

Everyone in attendance was already dead. It's a dead man's party. Who could ask for more? Everybody's coming, leave your body at the door.

surprise And is that Elvis singing? The hair's greyed a little, but you can't argue with the Jailhouse Rock outfit.

I guess it's Elvis inspired, but I didn't intend it to actually be Elvis. The whole render is inspired by an Oingo Boingo song, but it's not quite Danny Elfman's style either.

Dawan is really cool, it's neat to see a female heavy! You can really tell by looking at her that she's strong enough to rip up a medium-sized oak roots and all. As for the outfit, it looks great, but maybe a little on the glamourous side for wearing on an expedition? It's a fantasy story, though. Doesn't have to make 100% perfect logical sense. x)

I definitely lean more towards things making sense where possible, so I'm not sure Kakenda will work out for this project. On the other hand, Yamowe is barefoot and wearing a long, flowing skirt, so maybe Karsaean women just have a flair for style, and the skills not to need more sensible clothing. Maybe I'll just borrow some parts of Kakenda for both of them.

Mrs. Chowru

I'm starting to get more savvy about dForce, starting with working in layers. I first simulated the entire outfit, but the dress fell through her knees, the robes were weaving in and out of the dress, and the sash just totally did its own thing. After making a few attempts at Mesh Grabbing different parts of it, I threw up my hands in an as-seen-on-TV fashion and said "there's got to be a better way!". So I hid everything but the dress, simulated that in animation mode, froze simulation, unhid the robe, simulated that, and so on, until I ended up with what you see in this render. This is probably super obvious to a lot of you, but it's a new way of approaching dForce to me. I just noticed after posting it that her left hand is sticking right through her sleeve, but hopefully it's not too noticeable. Worst case scenario, I would just need a little clone brushing to smooth over the transition so it looks like that's just the other side of the sleeve. The name of this render is super unimaginative, but I guess it fits with all the fantasy characters I've rendered lately.

Akram

Born to a Tonme mother and a Gurovan father, Akram received Gurovan knight training in her youth, but now identifies more as Tonme. Her compatriots in green are more accepting of her than the Gurovans have been, even if many of them have difficulty pronouncing her name.

Gordig said:

Ok, I love and dislike this one at the same time!

On one hand, I adore the overall vibe here, and I admire how you managed to make Sakura an elderly lady.

On the other hand, the contrast between her detailed skin and her Anime eyes gives me pretty bad uncanny valley.

Perhaps if you turned down the bump/normal/displacement/HD to make her skin just a little more stylised?

Frejlamh

This one definitely needs some work. The posing isn't where I thought it was, and I need to reevaluate how it's lit. Melidae crown made the best fit as far as head decorations, but I'm not sure about even that. I may try to edit the skin so it looks more like a leopard than an anthropomorphized housecat.

Hylas said:
    Gordig said:

Ok, I love and dislike this one at the same time!

On one hand, I adore the overall vibe here, and I admire how you managed to make Sakura an elderly lady.

On the other hand, the contrast between her detailed skin and her Anime eyes gives me pretty bad uncanny valley.

Perhaps if you turned down the bump/normal/displacement/HD to make her skin just a little more stylised?

Here's the same scene with the bump and normal map strength cut in half.

Mrs. Chowru younger_post_comp.png
    2700 x 3600 - 7M

I mentioned before that the monitor I did my Dazing on was oddly calibrated, and that resulted in a couple of my renders being so dark that it was basically impossible to tell what was going on inside them. I just re-postworked them, and here they are:

Meeses

Dem Bones

Refreshments

Valea communing with nature

The Last Straw

"Come on, dad, tell me what REALLY started the robot uprising!"

"Son, I wish I was making that up."

Toonruun

I just started messing around with PWToon, after doing Iray only basically since I first started using DS. So far I'm mainly just fiddling with different settings to see what they do, and am nowhere near developing a style with it. Here is my first full render, along with the Iray original. The framing is slightly different because I was working in the current beta, which seems to have keyboard viewport navigation turned on no matter what you do. Also, I'll need to reapply her face scars since I didn't fully get how to retain maps while I was initially applying the toon shaders, and her expression is more intense because I didn't have AFE when I did the first render.

Twonruun

Discovered the rim multiplier, and that seems to be the key to getting more in-depth shading. I also picked up the Sketchy Iray shaders as part of the Dasan sale, so I may post some of my results with that. Honestly, though, all this toon shading experimentation is mainly just serving to convince me that the results aren't worth all the time and energy I'm putting into them, and I'll just keep doing regular Iray renders.

Gordig said:

Twonruun

Discovered the rim multiplier, and that seems to be the key to getting more in-depth shading.

It looks really good! I love the angle of the sword she's holding. It makes you feel a sense of real threat when you look at the picture!

Gordig said:

The vintage feeling of this one is just amazing!

Woolly Panic

Pretty hastily thrown together, to be honest.