Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

19495969798100»

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@memcneil70  What a variety of guys! Darsel 50% is rather interesting, really looks like a common guy. Like the nose on Dolb/Finn. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,682

Novica, those seated poses must be listed in the top 10 pose sets, if not the # 1 set in the Daz Studio arsenal. And incredibly addictive.

Spencer comes with a 'Dad bod' so I would need to try a full length in shorts or something to see what happens to his body. The head shots were interesting for sure. Spencer does mix very well with a variety of men. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2020
    Novica said:

So hopefully you know flash sales are going on  (I just got back from going all the way over to Gulf Breeze and taking my bird to the vet to have his beak trimmed.)  Here's one of the sales-

Shopping Cart

Grand Total $14.21

75%

Subtotal $56.85
    Discount -$42.64
    Estimated Tax $0.00

How are you getting that discount? I'm only getting 55%. I'm probably missing something obvious...

Nevermind... I guess I'm tired. Didn't notice the cart dropped the coupon off. Applied it again and it's working.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited March 2020

I think I got carried away on this! Some of these are pretty hard to tell apart. When I owned the HD addon for a character, I used it at 50%. Without the HD, the features are much softer, of course.

Babina 8 

Babina 8 50% Mrs. Chow 8 HD 50%

Babina 8 50% Kala 8 50%

Babina 8 50% Latonya 8 50%

Babina 8 50% Darcy 8 HD 50%

Babina 8 50% Edie 8 HD 50%

Babina 8 50% Aiko 8 50%

Babina 8 50% Mabel 8 HD 50%

Babina 8 50% Leisa 8 50%

Babina 8 50% Bridget 8 50%

Babina 8 50% P3D Mylou 50%

Babina 8 50% Sisi 50%

Babina 8 50% Monique 8 50%

Babina 8 100%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 579K
    Babina 8 50% Mrs Chow HD 8 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 831K
    Babina 8 50% Kala 8 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 823K
    Babina 8 50% Latonya 8 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 830K
    Babina 8 50% Darcy 8 HD 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 814K
    Babina 8 50% Edie 8 HD 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 796K
    Babina 8 50% Aiko 8 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 809K
    Babina 8 50% Mabel 8 HD 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 808K
    Babina 8 50% Leisa 8 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 819K
    Babina 8 50% Bridget 8 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 819K
    Babina 8 50% P3D MyLou 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 811K
    Babina 8 50% Sisi 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 824K
    Babina 8 50% Monique 8 50%.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 820K
    Post edited by barbult on

Wow, great job!  Leisa and Bridget are very telling. Hardly any difference at all to me.  Darcy on the other hand, does change things up. And I'm always interested in the Aiko input, she adds that youthful, minimal cartoony aspect.

Compared Kala and Latonya and one has a bit more of a snub nose. These are all really interesting, thanks for doing those! 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693
    edited March 2020

Some mixes with Josephene. I really don't like Josephene's skin texture. I lowered the bump and normals and it's still too strong.

Here is 50% Josephene 50% Kanade 

Here is 50% Josephene 50% Mika

Here is 50% Josephene 50% Sandy

Here is 50% Josephene 50% Minto Young

Here is Josephene 50% with Minto 50% with Iole skin

Here is 50% Josephene 50% Sandy Evelyn & Lynn skin which I think is my favorite combo so far...

949E31B9-9F5E-4BB8-B878-8AC8D69945BB.png
    1000 x 1250 - 2M
    D60AD598-EE24-4F1F-B8C6-39E73DC67688.png
    1000 x 1250 - 2M
    F43D3874-FD0A-468F-8432-FC7174D56A1A.png
    1000 x 1250 - 2M
    5CE3B7F1-F578-4B3A-827E-44CB9B36354F.png
    1000 x 1250 - 2M
    C96E0274-F4FD-4524-903B-0DB06FA3F91B.png
    1000 x 1250 - 2M
    7CB1F208-7BF1-45D5-A144-2AFE2AC19EAA.png
    1000 x 1250 - 2M
    Post edited by Wonderland on

I like both the Iole Skin and Lynn- both the bushier eyebrows and the thinner. What I don't particularly care for is the severe line in the middle of the noses. I've never cared for that, just personal preference. Josephine/Kanade is just really, really sharp.  Josephine/Sandy (minus the nose) appeals to me the most as her lips are bigger and so is the nose. Thanks for sharing those! heart

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693
    Novica said:

I like both the Iole Skin and Lynn- both the bushier eyebrows and the thinner. What I don't particularly care for is the severe line in the middle of the noses. I've never cared for that, just personal preference. Josephine/Kanade is just really, really sharp.  Josephine/Sandy (minus the nose) appeals to me the most as her lips are bigger and so is the nose. Thanks for sharing those! heart

I think the line in the nose combined with the cleft chin is too much. One OR the other I like, but not both together. For me, the Josephene character is just too angular and sharp, making her appear too masculine. She only looks good, even at 50% with the most soft and feminine characters. Combined with Mousso characters she looked awful. I'll probably only use her at 20% at most after this. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited March 2020
    Novica said:

So hopefully you know flash sales are going on  (I just got back from going all the way over to Gulf Breeze and taking my bird to the vet to have his beak trimmed.)  Here's one of the sales-

Shopping Cart

•  

I finally bought the Aslan 1, Aslan 1 Decor, & Aslan 2 yesterday after wishlisting them 4 years ago!

I adopted out the paired Austrailian budgies, Jack & Jill, now that I've tamed them 100% and also the English pair, Bill & Belle, which were much easier to tame to 100%. The lady who adopted them wanted adult budgies that she knew were tame for her grandgrandren so I agreed.

I was going to keep them and wanted to keep them be Missy the agressive Indian Ringneck hen can once again fly and she started attacking my budgies should they dare come near her. Having evolved very high pain thresholds from high speed flight crashes and painful beaks and talon usage the budgies are too daft to fear her as much as they should and Missy once got her beak almost clamped on Jack's neck before I shooed them apart. Well, that was enough of that so, as the budgies are much cuter, less loud, and less intrusive, and tame, it was they that would adopt better to new pet caregivers than Missy. Missy, I might buy her a boy Indian Ringneck eventually but I'm hesitant as she is so demanding and picky that not any boy IRN will do and they are too expensive and stressful to start buying multiple boy IRNs until I find one that Missy likes. Can't afford that!

I figured out, and someone surely has figured it out before me I'm sure and probably written a book about it, that English Budgies, being as they are, the survivors of those pet show budgie lines, are genetically dispositioned to be more calm in the crisis of being handed by strange people all the time at budgie shows and what not and so are easier to tame - there really is an easily disernable difference in how easily they tame and how nervous they act and how phyically active they are. The American budgies are amazingly beatiful flyers, weaving in and out between perches and even hovering for short times like a humming bird. Comparitively English budgies are clumsy, oafish  flyers. Also, they are disceranble much bigger than the Australian / American wilder & smaller type and live significantly fewer years than the Australian/American type. Some assume it's the health problems caused by inbreeding but I think it's actually higher mortality from accidents of being handled and allowed to run about as pets much more and being allowed to eat more human cooked & manufactured foods which is truly not good for them and which they will often do being imprinted to humans and being natural food sharers it's like a recipe for culinary disaster for pet birds! That's not to say an untamed adult English budgie will be tame, it's just they will be much easier to tame than an American untame budgie type. You will find that one you get the 1st budgie tamed the others eventually tame too following the example of the 1st tamed budgie.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Um, my experience is if you want Missy the ringneck to start chilling out, the last thing you want to do is get an opposite gender bird mate for her. She won't need you AT ALL and may possibly become extremely possessive of her mate, striking and biting even more. I have experience with my Amazon and Macaw doing that. I didn't get them for each other, but they became bonded and that Amazon was a sheer terror whenever I approached them as a couple. Would NOT advise getting a bonding pair if you already have a nipper/biter, aggressive, or unpredictable bird.

You know you have too much stuff when there's nothing for 99 Cents that you want. (Flash sale.)  

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    Novica said:

You know you have too much stuff when there's nothing for 99 Cents that you want. (Flash sale.)  

I had zero items available

edited March 2020

I was working with a new character today, JingLing and she comes with her own hair, called 'Lively Hair' and put her in X-Fashion Bohemian Casual Outfit with sandals from the Boho Ruffle outfit. I was wondering if I was going to have to scrap it, but kept after the project, used a scene from JeffersonAF and Skies of Sylva to fill it in. Lit it with Pefect Portrait Lights and it started to finally gel. The outfit simulated very nicely. The hat needed some expansion, but tilts and moves a bit. The render took my laptop, with a 1080 card, six hours and six minutes. The character who seems to be more toon, came out looking very old-fashioned and sweet. I actually like the way the light seems to have highlighted the right side, like a summer sun would.

Mary

JingLing in the Garden II.png
    1200 x 1941 - 5M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    Novica said:

Novica said:

Wow, how do you guys find what you are looking for when you want to render something with so many products?

I have 197 items available for the offer. Unfortunately my store credit is at 10$ so I don't know if I should get anything right now as there's nothing I really want and pc+ item offers come back around.

edited March 2020
    Novica said:

Um, my experience is if you want Missy the ringneck to start chilling out, the last thing you want to do is get an opposite gender bird mate for her. She won't need you AT ALL and may possibly become extremely possessive of her mate, striking and biting even more. I have experience with my Amazon and Macaw doing that. I didn't get them for each other, but they became bonded and that Amazon was a sheer terror whenever I approached them as a couple. Would NOT advise getting a bonding pair if you already have a nipper/biter, aggressive, or unpredictable bird.

I bought some things on the 0.99 cent sale. All sets. I need more sets.

Oh, I meant to say that the budgies have now been tamed 100% not not tamed 100%. That was a typo.

As far as IRNs go, I've learnt, having to take both a reading and real life crash course in Indian Ringneck behavior when I adopted Missy, particularly female IRN behaviour; IRNs do not bond for life like most parrot like birds do. They do bond over one or more seasons though and can drop the old mate for a new mate on their or their current mate's own personal whim. So sort of people like in that regard. Furthermore, they are not the type of bird that takes the attitude of any port in a storm. So a budgie or a cockatiel or any species a IRN sees as a threat to a potential nest is always suspect, including other IRNs they aren't bonded with and choose to not bond with as flock mates or regular mate. She may or may not like the male I eventually try to get her as an all day mate and he her. It's entirely up to a behaviour drive in them that I'll have no control over.

I don't know how many times pet bird breeders and pet bird owners have told me that all their different species of birds get along so well but after a while those pet bird owners and bird breeders mention in passing how this bird in their collection killed a friend's cocktiel they brought over for a visit and; that some of their birds, usually their smaller birds attacked by their other bigger birds, are missing toes and legs. Missy was named Missy because she's messy not because she is missing feet or legs. laugh Thank goodness.  

She does like me now after so much work I did but in a social sort of flock member sort of way, it's like that she has realized it is my hand that opens the fridge and can pet her head and despite the countless times she has assumed I was going to attack her I never actually have attacked her. That's nothing at all like the lifetime bonds that some parrots make with their caregivers in that it thinks and wants to be always be on "my buddy caregiver's shoulder" like the sort of bonding that happens with Sun or Jenday conures with their caregivers as two different types of examples. 

I'm fine with my IRN(s) being independent yet tame.

edited March 2020

dup

I was working with a new character today, JingLing and she comes with her own hair, called 'Lively Hair' and put her in X-Fashion Bohemian Casual Outfit with sandals from the Boho Ruffle outfit. I was wondering if I was going to have to scrap it, but kept after the project, used a scene from JeffersonAF and Skies of Sylva to fill it in. Lit it with Pefect Portrait Lights and it started to finally gel. The outfit simulated very nicely. The hat needed some expansion, but tilts and moves a bit. The render took my laptop, with a 1080 card, six hours and six minutes. The character who seems to be more toon, came out looking very old-fashioned and sweet. I actually like the way the light seems to have highlighted the right side, like a summer sun would.

Mary

Oooh, there's so many things I like about this. The sandals are really cool, and I have that HDRI set wishlisted and now glad I did seeing this render. The hat fits her really well (I have a love/hate relationship with hats!)  and the skirt drapes so beautifully! Worth the six hour wait. 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2020

This was an interesting challenge.  Think I got a little carried away so I put up the ones I thought made the most difference.  I didn't have any of the younger children to showcase.

Base: CJ 8

CJ 8 50% Aiko 8 50%

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/cb/491d34973a3259f21cafcda4103fba.jpg

CJ 8 50% Darcy 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Edie 8 50%

CJ 8 50% The Girl 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Kanade 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Kireina 50%

CJ 8 50% Sahel 50%

CJ 8 50% Zawadi 50% (I didnt realize until I was looking up links I dont have Latonya)

CJ 8 50% Fable (other store) 50%

CJ 8 25% Eddie 25% Darcy 25% Fable 25%

CJ8HD.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 284K
    CJ8HDAiko8.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 243K
    CJ8HDDarcyHD.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 269K
    CJ8HDEddieHD.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 226K
    CJ8HDGirl8.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 247K
    CJ8HDKanade.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 270K
    CJ8HDKireina.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 256K
    CJ8HDSahelHD.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 256K
    CJ8HDZawadi.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 281K
    CJ8HDFable.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 318K
    CJEddieDarcyFable.jpg
    648 x 1049 - 285K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited March 2020
    Novica said:

Novica said:

Wow, how do you guys find what you are looking for when you want to render something with so many products?

I have 197 items available for the offer. Unfortunately my store credit is at 10$ so I don't know if I should get anything right now as there's nothing I really want and pc+ item offers come back around.

With great difficulty if at all

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    edited March 2020

@daventaki  Gosh, I don't know which ones I like the most. I am impressed with what Aiko brings to the table. First glance, Sahel and Edie caught my eye. Edie is so cool! 

I know what you mean about getting carried away. It's like, "Welllllll....there's so and so and I really want to see...." and it never ends. You have some great combinations!  I may tackle another base character and do some more combonations. My problem is I am doing files (making the Rendo ones studio compatible)  and installing, then categorizing them so I can't tie up my studio for very long. I'll see about doing another set though.

Note we are on the last page of this thread! When we hit 29 posts, STOP. I need the last post to reference the new one. Number THIRTEEN!  Going since 2012, eight years. 

THIS IS POST 21.

Post edited by Novica on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Daventaki said:

This was an interesting challenge.  Think I got a little carried away so I put up the ones I thought made the most difference.  I didn't have any of the younger children to showcase.

CJ 8 50% Aiko 8 50%

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/cb/491d34973a3259f21cafcda4103fba.jpg

CJ 8 50% Darcy 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Edie 8 50%

CJ 8 50% The Girl 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Kanade 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Kireina 50%

CJ 8 50% Sahel 50%

CJ 8 50% Zawadi 50% (I didnt realize until I was looking up links I dont have Latonya)

Wow!  I don't have CJ but after seeing your mixes, I wishlisted her.  Those are great!

edited March 2020

I'm working on Khepri, then will do Kinsley I wanted to do an African American character (Khepri.) 

This is post 23. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    gitika1 said:
    Daventaki said:

CJ 8 50% Aiko 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Darcy 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Edie 8 50%

CJ 8 50% The Girl 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Kanade 8 50%

CJ 8 50% Kireina 50%

CJ 8 50% Sahel 50%

Wow!  I don't have CJ but after seeing your mixes, I wishlisted her.  Those are great!

I agree. What great combinations!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks everyone!

Post 25

Thank you @Novica. My flatmate thought I managed to hit a 'Monet' atmosphere that we saw when we went to the exhibit last fall. 

@Daventaki, I had to look again on my iMac, having first seen them on my iPad, to see the details better. CJ8 is a great character but I think your blends highlight just how versatile she is to the G8F gene pool. Some of the characters you mixed her with I didn't know, looked at them, and found they were 'toons' and yet, on CJ's base, they look 'real world'. Excellent work.

@alex86fire, I had less than 60 items on that sale yesterday for PC+ and while I do have to search at time, two years ago I took the advice others have offered in earlier threads here to add sub-categories. For example under Props\Furnishings\Furniture I have added Seating, Beds, Tables/Desks, Bookcases/Storage, Appliances... under Decor I have added Art, Lamps/Candles, Carpets/Rugs, Reading Materials, Linens and Things, Potted Plants, Vases and Baskets... What I am doing now, Wardrobe\Footwear I am adding Boots, Pumps, Athletic, Military, Historic, Fantasy, Sandals, Slip-ons, Oxfords, ... I also did Environments, bringing over old Props\Environments, Scenes, and HDRIs, so they are all in one place for me. This is just off the top of my head and works for me and how I think about things and I know how to find them. If you plan it out on paper before you start, that is best. And think about how 'You' work, what 'You' need, then it will work. And do it when you buy new products, to keep it up.

Post 26

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Thank you @Novica. My flatmate thought I managed to hit a 'Monet' atmosphere that we saw when we went to the exhibit last fall. 

@Daventaki, I had to look again on my iMac, having first seen them on my iPad, to see the details better. CJ8 is a great character but I think your blends highlight just how versatile she is to the G8F gene pool. Some of the characters you mixed her with I didn't know, looked at them, and found they were 'toons' and yet, on CJ's base, they look 'real world'. Excellent work.

@alex86fire, I had less than 60 items on that sale yesterday for PC+ and while I do have to search at time, two years ago I took the advice others have offered in earlier threads here to add sub-categories. For example under Props\Furnishings\Furniture I have added Seating, Beds, Tables/Desks, Bookcases/Storage, Appliances... under Decor I have added Art, Lamps/Candles, Carpets/Rugs, Reading Materials, Linens and Things, Potted Plants, Vases and Baskets... What I am doing now, Wardrobe\Footwear I am adding Boots, Pumps, Athletic, Military, Historic, Fantasy, Sandals, Slip-ons, Oxfords, ... I also did Environments, bringing over old Props\Environments, Scenes, and HDRIs, so they are all in one place for me. This is just off the top of my head and works for me and how I think about things and I know how to find them. If you plan it out on paper before you start, that is best. And think about how 'You' work, what 'You' need, then it will work. And do it when you buy new products, to keep it up.

Post 26

That is a very good suggestion, thank you. I am already having trouble and I don't have near as much stuff as most people around here.

I will try to allocate some time to organise my stuff.

• sueyasueya Posts: 824
    edited March 2020

Girl on left is Kallisto 100% and Girl on right is Kallisto 50% and Lillianna 50% - Lillianna has a strong jawline

Girl on left is Kallisto 50% and 50% Corina  (rounder face) and Girl on right is Kallisto 50% and Lara 50% - Lara has large cartoon eyes 

Post edited by sueya on
    edited March 2020

Hey folks- when you repost, please don't repost all those renders. Makes it a lot easier for people on mobile devices. Just cut and paste a small reference of the post. :)   Thanks!  (Since we're posting a LOT of photos in one post, it really will help. I looked at the thread on my iphone and ugh!) 

Okay, I finished up with Khepri last night, and not pleased with the infinitesimal difference some characters by the same vendor. IMO it was definitely not worth buying them unless it's for the textures, and there's other characters textures so similar I wouldn't even go that route. I'm putting these in the order which makes sense, with the ones with very little change next to each other.

Khepri is the base character who got added to by all the others. This is with Latonya 8.  All of these are Option A, with 50 / 50 percents.  I'm adding the vendors' names so you can see who really goes the distance with making unique morphs.  And of course, even if there is a little change, the morphs could still be really different when added to the Genesis 8 character, but they may be similar to THIS character so it appears there aren't many morphs. 

However, if there is very little change between two characters added to this one, IMO it means the vendor didn't do much IF IT'S THE SAME VENDOR FOR BOTH THOSE CHARACTERS BEING ADDED. But here's the question- if you are using the SHAPING PANE and that character is for another one (let's say for Latonya 8) is other character (Latonya) also built in to the shaping pane or is it just a Genesis 8?

Click to open and click back and forth, each is in a separate window.

FWSA Khepri for Latonya 8

Khepri / Morgana      (Cherubit)
    I just had to use her again, she's so dainty! Compare her to 3DU's Amber, coming next.

Khepri / Amber  (3d Universe) 

Khepri / Edie 8  (Daz Originals)   If there's anyone who doesn't own this gal, you may want to add to your gene pool!  Compare Edie and Elgin. Nice differences. Elgin gives you the elongated face, sallow. 

Khepri / P3D Elgin - Mabel 8 HD Enhanced Morph Package     I own most or all of those packages, SO worth the money.  You'll see Orion further down.

Khepri / HP Vaeri  (Hinkypunk)   Let's toss an alien in here. 

Khepri / Raquel  (Mousso)   Here's where it gets disappointing, with regards to Raquel and Elliandra. Click back and forth between the two. 

Khepri / Elliandra  (Mousso) 

Khepri / Aakash (Mousso) 

Khepri / Alessandra for Leisa 8  (Emrys) 

Khepri / P3D Orion- Zelara 8 HD Enhanced Morph Package    

Khepri.png
    700 x 900 - 636K
    Khepri Morgana 50.png
    700 x 900 - 419K
    Khepri Amber 3DU 50.png
    700 x 900 - 413K
    Khepri Edie 50.png
    700 x 900 - 556K
    Khepri P3D Elgin 50.png
    700 x 900 - 559K
    Khepri Vaeri 50.png
    700 x 900 - 638K
    Khepri Raquel 50.png
    700 x 900 - 649K
    Khepri Elliandra 50.png
    700 x 900 - 628K
    Khepri Aakash 50.png
    700 x 900 - 654K
    Khepri Alessandra 50.png
    700 x 900 - 653K
    Khepri P3D Orion 50.png
    700 x 900 - 699K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2020

sueya said:

Girl on left is Kallisto 100% and Girl on right is Kallisto 50% and Lillianna 50% - Lillianna has a strong jawline

Girl on left is Kallisto 50% and 50% Corina  (rounder face) and Girl on right is Kallisto 50% and Lara 50% - Lara has large cartoon eyes 

Lara really goes toon when added to Kallisto!

New Thread link:  Here is the new thread and you can start posting. BE SURE AND BOOKMARK!

I've got the pages reserved for the first page references, as always. We've been doing this since 2012, eight wonderful years!  :) 

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.