DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.120, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Pity!
    I had it with old scenes too that sometimes there were no "funky ghosties" - it depends on the camera angle ...

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited February 2014

I downloaded and installed via DIM and when I started DS, I still had the old version. Then I found out to my utter horror that DS installed itself on the C-drive which is reserved for system files only and must not be cluttered by any program, how valuable it may be.

Of course, I deleted DS instantly and downloaded the file manually and started the installer. It found the existing installation on the D-drive and installed/upgraded DS correctly and painlessly.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978
    edited February 2014

Horo said:
    I downloaded and installed via DIM and when I started DS, I still had the old version. Then I found out to my utter horror that DS installed itself on the C-drive which is reserved for system files only and must not be cluttered by any program, how valuable it may be.

Of course, I deleted DS instantly and downloaded the file manually and started the installer. It found the existing installation on the D-drive and installed/upgraded DS correctly and painlessly.

You can set where you want Dim to install DS4 under Download Filters then the Installation Tab will then see 64bit and or 32bit software versions and where you want them to be installed..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

To all that are hoping for Deep Shadowmap fixes...don't hold your breath. It's probably NOT ever going to be completely fixed. The problems with it are OLD and deep seated within the very algorithms used to calculate them. Basically the only real way to fix it...strip out the existing code and rewrite it completely using better algorithms. It's so old of a problem that ALL Renderman spec renderers suffer from some form of it to some degree...

3Delight is basically 'abandoning' DSMs...or at least that's the way it appears with all the recent advances/speed ups for raytracing in the last builds of of 3DL (since the mid 10.0.x series, at least). The version of 3DL (10.0.170, I think) in this build of DS should have raytracing be close to even with DSM for most things and even faster for some (especially when you add in the 'not counted in the log as rendering time' it takes to calculate the maps...).

From what I can gather, of the history of DSM, was that it wasn't ever intended to be used for rendering high quality still shots. The big advantage to DSM is that the maps were reusable, so for animation it was a very useful feature. Also with animation, the glitches/fireflies weren't critical, as they seldom were in the same spot frame to frame. So that means they are only visible for 1/24 (or less...depending on frame rate) of a second. And now, even that use is falling to the wayside as point-cloud/two pass rendering is superseding DSM usage for animation work. Because more can be done with a point-cloud pass, at the same time, with faster speed, than can be done with DSM.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    You can set where you want Dim to install DS4 under Download Filters then the Installation Tab will then see 64bit and or 32bit software versions and where you want them to be installed..

Thank you for this information. However, I find it odd that DIM doesn't find the installed version and the EXE does.
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    To all that are hoping for Deep Shadowmap fixes...don't hold your breath. It's probably NOT ever going to be completely fixed. The problems with it are OLD and deep seated within the very algorithms used to calculate them. Basically the only real way to fix it...strip out the existing code and rewrite it completely using better algorithms. It's so old of a problem that ALL Renderman spec renderers suffer from some form of it to some degree...

3Delight is basically 'abandoning' DSMs...or at least that's the way it appears with all the recent advances/speed ups for raytracing in the last builds of of 3DL (since the mid 10.0.x series, at least). The version of 3DL (10.0.170, I think) in this build of DS should have raytracing be close to even with DSM for most things and even faster for some (especially when you add in the 'not counted in the log as rendering time' it takes to calculate the maps...).

From what I can gather, of the history of DSM, was that it wasn't ever intended to be used for rendering high quality still shots. The big advantage to DSM is that the maps were reusable, so for animation it was a very useful feature. Also with animation, the glitches/fireflies weren't critical, as they seldom were in the same spot frame to frame. So that means they are only visible for 1/24 (or less...depending on frame rate) of a second. And now, even that use is falling to the wayside as point-cloud/two pass rendering is superseding DSM usage for animation work. Because more can be done with a point-cloud pass, at the same time, with faster speed, than can be done with DSM.

excellent information, man I learn a lot from you, thanks.
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    ghosty12 said:

Thank you for this information. However, I find it odd that DIM doesn't find the installed version and the EXE does.

DIM gets the install information from Installation tab, and the paths are listed on the Application tab. The EXE installers get it from ini files.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

DSM's were in Poser too, they called them Depth Mapped Shadows. As a rule of thumb, basically any lighting tutorial you read would tell you not to use them and to use ray traced instead. I do the same in DS, if I see a set has DSM's then I change them to ray traced, or, as I tend to do more often now, I swap them out for AoA lights.

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited February 2014

DIM gets the install information from Installation tab, and the paths are listed on the Application tab. The EXE installers get it from ini files.

And registry...that's where the last location used (install directory) is stored (at least on a Windows system...not sure where the last used location is stored on a Mac).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • PekenPeken Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

Can't save any (saving an empty scene is ok) scene with information in it with this new .118 release!
    DS freezes instantly! as shown in screenshot (one cylinder created).

Previous release has no problem saving...

Capture.jpg
    1201 x 995 - 194K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Peken said:
    Can't save any (saving an empty scene is ok) scene with information in it with this new .118 release!

Please file a support ticket on this so we can help you troubleshoot it.
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 1969

Peken said:

Windows, Mac? Is there enough free space on the drive?

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

How odd, I just made and saved a new scene with a figure in it and it worked fine for me.

CHEERS!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

I just installed it on my notebook ran a quick test to save a figure works fine for me Reality comes up NP. Like Roger I'm old school don't use smart content or DIM.

edited December 1969

Peken said:

Please file a support ticket on this so we can help you troubleshoot it.

Ticket created :)

edited December 1969

Peken said:

Windows, Mac? Is there enough free space on the drive?

Win 8.1...Mac release has no problem.
    When starting previous release from backup folder I have no problem opening and saving an old scene, or when creating a new one.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited February 2014

(Downloaded and installed) .. Maybe it's me but start-up seems to load just a little slower. but everything works great, no issues with my tool bars & plugins
    Thanks for the update Guys :)

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I think a pre-squashed bug is back. Per Pixel Shading set to on turns skydomes black/darker.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

Split the discussion of the DAZ Install Manager to http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37048/ so that it doesn't distract from or get lost in the discussion of the DS update.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Woo oo it no longer takes eons for content searches to load like poses..

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Glad for the split but these forums... I lost my sub again. So this post should fix that.... sigh

edited February 2014

Okay a new update on a Bug I found and i submitted a service ticket on tonight.

I updated Daz Studio Pro 4-64byte version 4.6.1.39 to Daz Studio Pro - 64 byte , version 4.6.2.118
    ever since the update The "look at my hair" plugin version 1.5 crashes. every single time no matter how i use it. or what I try to load so far it on;y happens when i use look at my hair or any LAMH presets
    it never did that before the New Daz Studio update. So I have to assume there is a bug with LAMH and version 4.6.2.118 of studio

Can someone please look into fixing this issue or have a work around the crashes
    i was just starting to learn how to use look at my hair , and at this point I'm kind of stuck until it stops crashing. I don't have a old copy of the version 4.6.1.39 or i would roll it back.
    I have included a txt log file of the crash report.any help be great
    Thanks
    Ivy

Post edited by Ivy on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Uh oh. Do we need a new update for this too?

edited December 1969

Okay Instead of trying to figure out why studio kept crashing, I did a clean install with Daz Studio. and Poof everything seems to be working right as rain.
    I was able to create and use LAMH pre sets again.. Yaaa !

mama_baby_moose_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 357K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Roy, do you have the paths to your content folder listed in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager?

Can you see the Genesis and Genesis2 stuff in the Content Library pane (NOT Smart Content), if not, you may have to list the paths in the Content Directory manager.

When I looked at this, there is only one listed, Barefoot Dancer, it works fine for me if I allow it to change the layout to Hollywood Blvd, and it also worked when I used my own layout.

See if that helps any.

Hi Jimmy

My apologies - I never got a notification and your kind response was buried a few pages back :)

Yes, the path is correct in content and yes, I can see and load all Genesis stuff from the content tab.

It doesn't give me an option to switch layouts - simply informs at the start tht the files can't be found.

If anyone can tell me which 8 files it is looking for, i will do a search to see whether they are correctly installed - should be, because everything Daz is installed fresh using DIM.

Cheers:)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

@Roygee
    Notifications work sporadically for me too :)

Have you looked in the log file to see what it is looking for? Go to Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File, and you should see the error message in full in there (hopefully). Start DS, try the interactive lesson, when you get the error message, exit from DS, reload DS and look at the Log File. They are sometimes extremely large, so got to the end, just before where your current session has started.

I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with it so far. Do you run DS as Administrator? I hve it set up that way, and it gives very few problems.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited February 2014

Just installed this. There are two things I've noticed.

Hitting Ctrl+S to save will bring up the Windows save file dialog box, even when I have already saved the scene as a file. Shouldn't it just save the file?

Second thing is that using the rotation dials in the posing tab with multiple body parts selected only moves one. In contrast, both will move when I use the dials in the parameters tab. I generally like using the posing tab to move several body parts together (ie fingers) when posing. I think this was the general behavior on previous builds.

Post edited by wowie on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

wowie said:
    Just installed this. There are two things I've noticed.

Hitting Ctrl+S to save will bring up the Windows save file dialog box, even when I have already saved the scene as a file. Shouldn't it just save the file? If you have previously named the file, if you have your authorship information saved and if the file that would be saved is not going to overwrite a file with different authorship information, then yes.

This prevents you from accidentally overwriting a, for example, Stonemason scene that you bought.

Second thing is that using the rotation dials in the posing tab with multiple body parts selected only moves one. In contrast, both will move when I use the dials in the parameters tab.

That one sounds like a bug. Please file a support ticket on that one.

thanks.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited February 2014

wowie said:

Second thing is that using the rotation dials in the posing tab with multiple body parts selected only moves one. In contrast, both will move when I use the dials in the parameters tab. I generally like using the posing tab to move several body parts together (ie fingers) when posing. I think this was the general behavior on previous builds.

Not sure if this is it, but the "Parameter" tab reacts to "Consolidate Properties", meaning when that is *enabled* the selected body parts e.g. bend both. The "Posing" tab reacts to "Display Separate Items", meaning when that is *disabled* the selected body parts e.g. bend both. I usually have "Consolidate Properties" enabled and "Display Separate Items" disabled - though this can cause confusion at times ;)

Edit: Just noticed that "Parameters" tab also has "Display Separate Items" (which is set independently from the "Posing" tab) and I got that disabled, too. And it has to ...

Edit2 to clarify (hopefully): As far as I see it "Display Separate Items" splits based on the selected items when enabled, so e.g. lThigh and rThigh, while "Consolidate Properties" joins based on an equal Properties name. For the second to happen across different selected items, the "Display Separate Items" needs to be disabled.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

I use both CMS and DIM and have no problems with this update so far. Used the Update and Consolidate properties scripts and everything shows properly my custom workspace. Really love this newest update. Consider myself lucky as I've rarely had problems with any update.