Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771
    RGcincy said:

Appropriate reading for these times:

• Albert Camus "The Plague"
    • Edgar Allan Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death"
    • Michael Crichton's "The Andromeda Strain"
    • Richard Preston's "The Hot Zone"

I can recommend "Station 11" by Emily St. John Mandel.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2020

Here you go. Who are you most like, if you had to choose a breed? I'm definitely a Rottweiler when I first wake up in the morning. Then I can easily see Greyhound.

Attitude rocks. (My favorite is the Old English Sheepdog though!)

And here's one for a Samoyed:  "A team of us to pull it from the socket. Then we're off and running!" 

What would your dog breed say, or another breed you don't own?  Have some fun! (and identify the breed)

dogs lightbulb.png
    776 x 832 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    Novica said:

Oh boy. 10:30am 4,661 US cases and 160 in Florida

NOON: 5204 and 191 cases Florida  

So 543 in an hour and a half, 31 new in Florida. It's of course just because they happened to get a big report during that time.

I think there are at least 10 times that many cases. It's just that the testing hasn't caught up yet with the real numbers.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,736
    edited March 2020

I was calling in a new prescription at 0800 MDT so I could pick it up on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning (when a lot of snow is due) and the major who answered told me the base was going into shutdown, except for mission essential personnel at noon. She would move my routine refills up and have them and the new one ready by 0945, for a driveby pick-up. I made it with time to spare. And got money into my son's account for my granddaughter's 7th birthday, but they are now on quarantine in Northern California. 

When I got home, had just enough time to put corned beef into slow cooker. 

Now I can go back to Josephene 8 and all her goodies.

BTW, if you are on Medicare, tele-visits will be covered by them during the Covid-19 crisis. I had no clue they weren't, had one yesterday, and heard on the press conference today they were now okayed! Called Medicare to make sure yesterday's call was covered. It was.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

There is no way I'm ever getting a cat or dog again given the problems they've made for me or family members over the years but I'd get in this order:

1) Dalmatian (only trained and certified as a service dog) 

2) German Shepherd  (only trained and certified as a service dog) 

I've read some about the different types and those two types seem most pet like from my perspecitive. Labrador Retrievers, Irish Setters, and similar types seem also good. As I couldn't afford all that meat to feed a dog or cat anyway it only makes my decision not to have one easier. 

I recommend reading books gardening; because it's exercise, enjoyable, non-contagion encouraging, and socially polite to others even when they don't see you gardening. They talk about social distancing to reduce contagion but gardening is distancing while still maintaining your socialbility. All those products you can produce at home also saves money and potential exposure to contagions and environmental poisions. Whether you need to save money or not it's the ecologically friendly and responsibile thing to do to save money as covid-19 is proving. With gardening you can give back lots of beauty and sometimes locally grown excess food if you plant more than flowers. At any rate, even just flowers and landscaping gives back to your neighbors a gift of beauty that costs them absolutely nothing for a nice change of pace that they can't buy anywhere. It's like those drives or walks to see folks Christmas & other holiday yard and home decorations. Gardens can be a year round entertainment for you and your neighbors.

Or books on how to cook using different flours, meals, and other raw cooking ingredients that have very long shelf lives. 

To my garden, I'm adding 6 more hazelnut trees, 2 rowan trees, and an assortment of other fruit trees (adding 1 almond, 1 apricot, 1 cherry, 4 pawpaw, 4 American persimmon, 2 plum, and 2 medlar will finish off everything I'm adding that my yard can feasible find room for before it's full) to my yard this year too but they are slow to mature and bear prolifically. Why a almond I planted way back in May 2015 has just now it's 1st bloom this year and it's only a couple of flowers so nothing much yet this year either. frown I will have to spray again insects this year though as chinese stinkbugs/japanese beetles absolutely decimated my nectarines and peaches the last two years. I can't continue to wait for birds and other creatures to make those pests scarce so I'll have to do it myself with neem and/or capsaicin and/or kaolin clay. So far only the peaches & nectarines have been producing alot of food in my garden anyway were it not ruint by those pests so I've held off on spraying to see it something else would rid my trees of those pests first. Not this year.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    Novica said:

Here you go. Who are you most like, if you had to choose a breed? I'm definitely a Rottweiler when I first wake up in the morning. Then I can easily see Greyhound.

Attitude rocks. (My favorite is the Old English Sheepdog though!)

And here's one for a Samoyed:  "A team of us to pull it from the socket. Then we're off and running!" 

What would your dog breed say, or another breed you don't own?  Have some fun! (and identify the breed)

To cute!  And the Boxer and Cat are spot on LOL

edited March 2020

American Eskimo (ie one in particular named Bugsy) "How much you going to pay me? I charge 5 dog treats per turn, without breaking the bulb."

He held up two of the maintenance workers today until he got 3 Milkbones from them. He tested the dog run for them.

Post edited by memcneil70 on

Latest stats-  virus was 5894 at 4pm and 192 Florida cases. At 7:15pm it jumped 529 cases to 6423 and 216 Florida cases. So +529 cases nationwide in 3 hours fifteen minutes, and 24 new in Florida. Unfortunately, heard on the 6pm news, one is over in Pensacola, the Navy Federal Credit Union main office (thousands of people work there, it's a huge mega complex.)  

@memcneil70   Yep, I could see Bugsy doing exactly that! 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

HAPPY ST. PAT'S DAY! Stay safe everyone! 

This is Scarlett and Untamed Curls

My god... One of my friends who I consider a "party friend" just called me in a panic because all the events she was supposed to go to all week were cancelled. She was in shock that her gym was closed (all closures were announced yesterday) and asked what event I was going to tonight. I informed her that everything in LA was shut down to which she responded that she thought the whole virus scare was "phony"! I explained that the mayor officially shut everything down, it's very real, people are dying and she still said she thought it was "phony." She asked if I was going to a mutual friend's house to celebrate St. Patrick's day, and I explained, no, I'm staying home. Everyone is self-isolating. She has no comprehension of what is going on! Unbelievable! 

edited March 2020

Everyone is self-isolating. She has no comprehension of what is going on! Unbelievable! 

Amazing, isn't it? The barn owner and husband have kids from previous marriages, and his daughter informed my friend that the daughter and her entire family were coming for a visit! Even when it was made quite clear by my friend she wasn't welcome! The daughter said all this was phony, a hoax. My friend said good for you, hoax it in Alabama and stay the heck away from us! 

BTW there's a good flash sale again. I used the featured stores so the discounts were 50% from the get-go. Here's my cart, went for sets. I only used the 60% off one. 

Post edited by Novica on

HAPPY ST. PAT'S DAY! Stay safe everyone! 

This is Scarlett and Untamed Curls

BEAUTIFUL!  You too!

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

@Wonderland - Alicia, that's . . . Wonder-ful ! ;)    The model & her hair look so vibrant and glorious, and your "toxic" bright greens really pop!  
      ~Gen

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

My god... One of my friends who I consider a "party friend" just called me in a panic because all the events she was supposed to go to all week were cancelled. She was in shock that her gym was closed (all closures were announced yesterday) and asked what event I was going to tonight. I informed her that everything in LA was shut down to which she responded that she thought the whole virus scare was "phony"! I explained that the mayor officially shut everything down, it's very real, people are dying and she still said she thought it was "phony." She asked if I was going to a mutual friend's house to celebrate St. Patrick's day, and I explained, no, I'm staying home. Everyone is self-isolating. She has no comprehension of what is going on! Unbelievable! 

This is exactly why the virus spreads. 

I live in Romania and here, most of the cases were created by people that knew they came from zones in danger and didn't respect any type of quarantine. A woman came from Spain after she had visited her sick with Corona son-in-low but after she came she did everything she shouldn't. She grabbed a cab, went to the store, visited friends, called a guy to fix something in her appartment. Because of her 10 more cases and rising appeared in a town that had none...

Incredible...

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

@Wonderland very cool render!

@Wonderland, I agree with everyone, that is one excellent render and spot on for our times!

It is unfortunate that even now, there are folks who just don't think this is real, just a cold/flu thing. Last night I was kept up until nearly 2 am as someone in my apartment cluster hosted a very loud party. Denver has asked everyone that can work at home, do so. Schools are closed for next few weeks. Our apartment management team has a locked office, contact through phone/email/web page, maintenance for emergencies only, common areas closed (pool, hot tub, gym). 

I was about to shut down my iMac where I do my shopping when I saw the Flash Sale and went and looked. Found https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-ii-for-daz-studio was included. Well I used the 60% off coupon and got it for $47.98 and thought that it would be on sale within a month for lower. And today, it is on sale at 40 or 50% off as the PA has a new item offered. I think I still bought it for less. The overall sale was really sweet and I was able to pick up some nice items I had on my re-built wishlist. I tried to spread the wealth around to different PAs but focused on who had items already on sale to maximize my discount. But there were a few that I didn't care, wanted the item. Now I have to figure it out how to use it. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2020

We have folks here who are just blowing off all warnings. I put together an email that I sent out to friends and family and my husband is sending out to workers. (They have shut down the university and the medical school here, folks are working from home and younger folks especially are still traveling, going out, partying, etc.) So while this is probably overkill, I'll include this here in case any of you would find it useful to share with these oblivious folks in the hopes it might reach one or two of them.

Subject: Don't be Italy, Learn From Their Mistakes with the Coronavirus

Please share these articles with folks you know, especially those who aren’t taking this pandemic seriously.

Don’t be Italy

Shows how some countries managed to shut this down to a manageable magnitude, compared to other countries, especially Italy whose BAD example the US seems to be following. Graphs and examples included.

https://observablehq.com/@yurivish/dont-be-italy

A coronavirus cautionary tale from Italy: Don’t do what we did.  Many of us were too selfish to follow suggestions to change our behavior. Now we’re in lockdown and people are needlessly dying.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-cautionary-tale-italy-dont-do-what-we-did/

Italy’s Coronavirus Victims Face Death Alone, With Funerals Postponed. What the US is going to be like shortly if people continue to take things casually:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/world/europe/italy-coronavirus-funerals.html

I'm an Italian mom under coronavirus lockdown. Here's what I wish I had done differently before things got bad. Talks about what she and Italy should have easily done to make a difference.

https://www.insider.com/coronavirus-italian-mom-and-these-are-the-mistakes-we-made-2020-3

Italy’s Health Care System Groans Under Coronavirus — a Warning to the World. Italy has a good healthcare system. Well, they thought they did, rather like the US,

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/world/europe/12italy-coronavirus-health-care.html

Graph.JPG
    1169 x 727 - 97K
    Post edited by firewarden on

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the St. Patrick's image!

The LA Times app has several videos that explain with animation exactly what the Coronavirus does in your body which scared the sh*t out of me because it attacks the lungs and I have asthma and have had very bad upper respiratory infections and high fevers in the past without this new pathogen causing havoc...

The LA Times is offering a 1 month subscription for $1.00. It's not just about LA, just like The NY Times or Washington Post (which I also have discounted subscriptions to now) are not just about those cities. Not sure if those videos are just for subcribers or not, but well worth watching if you want to rationalize why it SO important to stay home right now! (Actually they are probably FREE because the links go to YouTube! ) 

Axios is free and available online and by a newletter that you can customize. I joined today as I wanted to study the graphs. Knowledge is power and security.

One thing suggested by a doctor on TV, instead of elbow taps, tap your heart area and smile your greeting to a friend, and speak to them safely a the distance.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited March 2020

Image removed - link below

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

Robert, that is a funny one! Can we have a link to the original, in case there is an issue with uploading an image belonging to someone else?

barbult said:

Robert, that is a funny one! Can we have a link to the original, in case there is an issue with uploading an image belonging to someone else?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/273382639870935427/

I just got back from the last trip I'm making to the post office. It was deserted except for one other guy, he came up right behind me as I was waiting and I stepped forward more and said, 'Um, we have plenty of room, do you mind stepping back? I'm being really cautious."  He looked surprised and said, "Sure!"  That I should have to do that is annoying though. I put five lysol wipes in a baggie, and after I got done there, wiped my hands before I got my keys, wiped my door handle, wiped the cardboard boxes (flat rate priority boxes I use for troops.)  Then I went to CVS to get paper towels, milk, etc and wiped all those down too!  

Oh great. I was just reading about the upcoming hurricane season. La Nina this year, which means low/no shear and the ocean is already running a degree warmer than normal. Remember Dorian slamming the Bahamas last year? That was a El Nino year that suddenly went POOF in September unexpectedly. No El Nino is bad, but a La Nina is worse. The predictions will be out officially April 2nd. That's all we need, a virus and an above average hurricane season. Hopefully by the latest,  June/ July,  things will be calming down on the virus. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

We had our first positive test result yesterday, here in Lane County, Oregon. Then the test on a 60 year old woman who died on Saturday came back positive. Looks like hubby and me will be staying home for the foreseeable future.

Thank goodness for Daz Studio, cable tv and 2500 piece puzzles! We've lots to keep us busy with. As seniors, we are at higher risk, but also as retirees, we don't have to go anywhere and staying home doesn't impact our income, all of which is autodeposited in our bank account. (Hubby still has the paper route, but that almost completely a solitary activity. His contract ends in May and he won't be renewing. Yay!)

My wish, hope and prayer for all of us is we stay safe, stay distanced, and come out on the other side of this pandemic alive and well.

Hugs. (Virtual, distant ones, of course.)

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

I live in King Country Washington. When I go to the VA, Seattle is like a ghost town. I've not seen this low volumn of traffic in many years. I'm already an isolationist. So, this is somewhat OK. 

edited March 2020

I'm in Harlingen, Tx and don't have to go out except to get bread, eggs, milk, meat and ice cream as a rule which is maybe twice a month mostly for the bread and ice cream

However, I needed some allergy eyedrops so had to run to Walmart as Sams doesn't carry them and as luck would have it the eyedrop section was empty except for two contact lens eye drops, as for the grocery department it looked like a store under construction with all the empty shelves, no eggs, milk or bread almost no meat, no cheese or sandwich makings, and very little else

The pet food area was almost bare I got the last three containers of Friskies cat treats that were on the shelf for my cats 

I expect that the firearms dept. there will be empty before the day finishes out as there looked to be enough people filling out the forms for every firearm in the store

Post edited by Robert Freise on

We have a snow storm due in for the first day of Spring tomorrow. The inches have grown from 1 - 3, then 3 - 5, now 5 - 7 inches in the Denver area. Blizzard warning for the eastern part of the state. Heavy wet snow. It will be tough on our maintenance team. So I will be out in that tomorrow. Hopefully Bugsy will decide to be fast as he hates blizzard force winds.

If I didn't go pickup my flatmate from work every afternoon he works, I wouldn't have to go out except to walk Bugsy. And people have learned to avoid the Bug, or at least their dogs have. Well, except one little fuzz ball that adores him.

At the busiest Target today in the USA, in Denver, empty shelves (still the chocolate chips and pecan/walnut pieces are there, guess no one makes cookies), no milk again today, except for really high-priced stuff, no eggs. Meat/Poultry wiped out. Fresh veggies/fruit plentiful.

I have a habit of keeping stock around for a few weeks, but have bought fresh food as I could. Eggs, butter, milk when it was there. 

But, I have bought no guns, wouldn't be able to use them anyways now, arthritis in my fingers, it is hard to even open a cap on a bottle or tear a bag open. Much less clean, load, and pull a trigger on a weapon. 

I have done some renders yesterday and today. And answered emails from Daz Customer Service. They have got to one of my reports that is only 5 days old! Sent it to Bug Tracker. They are working their hearts out.

I don't need a gun. I have Ci Pwff, he's a tripping hazard. But I do have one, a .45 and ex-military so what is mine, stays mine. The unemployment and desperation which may be coming is indeed worrisome. 

CVS had plenty of milk and paper towels, no toilet paper but the signs said folks are limited to two packages, which is good. Our Walmart was out of toilet paper and soup mostly, but there was some available (surprisingly the microwave ones. I stocked up on Creamy Tomato and Club crackers.) That was a couple days ago, and they've been good about getting restocked every couple days from what I am hearing. I just hope the smaller stores, aka pharmacies, can stay stocked, not just the big stores. 

edited March 2020
    Novica said:

I have Ci Pwff, he's a tripping hazard.

Three cats and a dog and the floor is a minefield of toys tripping hazard doesn't even begin to describe it

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

barbult said:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/273382639870935427/

Thanks, I showed it to my husband, a Strar Trek fan. He laughed!

This discussion has been closed.