DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.2.120, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited December 1969

areg5 said:
    In the properties tab, there are now little hearts in the translate and rotation tabs and when you hover over it it says "click here to toggle the favorite state of this property." What does that mean?

A property marked as favorite will show up when you click on the "Favorites" item between the "All" and the "Currently Used" on the left hand side of the any of the tabs showing parameters. Its a short cut to find properties you like.

It can also be used in connection with the Transfer Utility to only transfer a subset of morphs.

Hmm...pretty slick. I'll play around with that.

On a similar note, why do some of the poses place the figure at 0,0,0 instead of keeping them in the same place? I've gotten around this by locking x,y and z parameters, applying the pose and then unlocking them, but its sort of a pain. Is there a way to make every pose applied to a figure keep the figure in the same point in space without having to lock parameters each time? Example: you can apply young teen Julie pose to a figure and it stays in the same place, but if you apply a teenage pose to the figure, it moves it to 0,0,0.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

areg5 said:
    areg5 said:
    In the properties tab, there are now little hearts in the translate and rotation tabs and when you hover over it it says "click here to toggle the favorite state of this property." What does that mean?

A property marked as favorite will show up when you click on the "Favorites" item between the "All" and the "Currently Used" on the left hand side of the any of the tabs showing parameters. Its a short cut to find properties you like.

It can also be used in connection with the Transfer Utility to only transfer a subset of morphs.

On a similar note, why do some of the poses place the figure at 0,0,0 instead of keeping them in the same place? I've gotten around this by locking x,y and z parameters, applying the pose and then unlocking them, but its sort of a pain. Is there a way to make every pose applied to a figure keep the figure in the same point in space without having to lock parameters each time? Example: you can apply young teen Julie pose to a figure and it stays in the same place, but if you apply a teenage pose to the figure, it moves it to 0,0,0.

Generally this indicates a poorly saved pose (the pose includes the skeleton in the pose save). There are times when moving the skeleton is the desired action but many times it is not. If you hold Control(CMD on Mac) when you double click a pose you will get a number of options to control how the pose is applied. One of them is to only apply the pose to selected nodes.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited December 1969

areg5 said:
    areg5 said:

Generally this indicates a poorly saved pose (the pose includes the skeleton in the pose save). There are times when moving the skeleton is the desired action but many times it is not. If you hold Control(CMD on Mac) when you double click a pose you will get a number of options to control how the pose is applied. One of them is to only apply the pose to selected nodes.

Well, that's faster. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Adding to my last. You can select the "Hip" instead of the figure and pick "Selected" in the first box it will leave the Skeleton alone. So in simple steps
    -Select Figure hip
    -Hold control when merging/double clicking the pose
    -Change first box to "Selected" instead of "Root"

By the way most presets have options if you hold Control(Cmd) when you apply them.

• KajiKaji Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

The new release today still says:

Multi-threaded: OpenMP is not supported on this platform.

Does this mean that Daz Studio can only work on a single core on OS X? Are we ever going to get OpenMP?

DS uses OpenMP and that was disabled due to 10.8 not working with OpenMP, to include crashes.

Okay, but what about threading across multiple cores/hyper-threads? The confusion is that it's saying "multi-threaded" which could imply that it is single threaded on OS X because OpenMP is disabled.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

b) what badly saved stuff? Do you mean items that are not in the expected place in the content folders or CMS, or stuff that actually has problems? I certainly haven't noticed any of the latter.

Oh basically every conformer in the genesis starter essentials, the DUF files are all missing the conforming code they would have had if saved correctly, and have been like that since day one. When code is missing the CMS has to take up the slack, so most people wont notice anything wrong, but as I refuse to install the CMS let alone use it, I end up finding out just how "badly" saved much of the content really is.

edited December 1969

The new release today still says:

Multi-threaded: OpenMP is not supported on this platform.

Does this mean that Daz Studio can only work on a single core on OS X? Are we ever going to get OpenMP?

DS uses OpenMP and that was disabled due to 10.8 not working with OpenMP, to include crashes.

Okay, but what about threading across multiple cores/hyper-threads? The confusion is that it's saying "multi-threaded" which could imply that it is single threaded on OS X because OpenMP is disabled.

The software renderer is multi-threaded as are a few other actions(db searches for instances). On PC we use OpenMP to speed up skin-binding, morph application, and other math intensive operations.

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845
    edited February 2014

Ok so this is only happening when opening an older saved scene file with some character dials or morph dials, they no longer show up under 'currently used' and instead are grey dialed in. And if i restore figure shape it will restore it to the dials i have in. Only way to remove them is to zero figure shape and once I do that it will put all the dials that are now at 0.00 as currently used. Is this a bug with the saved scenes? Do I need to check/uncheck an option somewhere?

Post edited by Jessaii on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

OcDS what is that a version of DS OCD?? I have to ask what is the rush to always feel the need to pump out a new version every 6 weeks? Why not pump out one or 2 a year that's actually tested and stable.

I think it was mentioned in the original post, but OcDS is the Octane for Daz Studio plugin.
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited February 2014

Rogerbee said:

From what I've been able to read, it seems to me that a lot of issues stem from using the DIM to do everything. I never have and haven't had issues when it comes to installing any new version of DS right from when I first got DS4. If the DIM causes issues when you try to install DS then don't use it, do it manually.

I don't use the CMS either, I just use the main content library and check forums to see if anything has been updated. Just because this and the DIM exist it doesn't mean that you HAVE to use them.

Try the manual route and see how you all get on, if you don't have any issues then I would strongly suggest that you stick with that option

CHEERS!

Rogerbee said:

And the odd thing is I've been running the New build from 10 minuets after its release without one error. It's another your mileage may vary type thing.

I do not Export so no info on that.

Great,

What do you do before you install a new version? I don't do anything and just let the .exe do its thing, it detects the previous version and uninstalls it. I then follow any prompts and it goes on its merry way and installs and runs without a hitch.

Whenever I read that anyone has had issues, be it with DS itself or content, the things they have done differently to me are to use the CMS and the DIM. It strikes me that these two are the major things that Daz either need to work on or drop altogether. I don't mind zips, but, I trust my own zip manager way more than I do Daz's,

CHEERS!

I was working with the last beta, and the transition to this new stable release occurred without problems. The installation was made with DIM and the new build is running fine without any visible issue. My custom layouts were preserved and all my working scenes opened fine also. I need to say that I have been using DIM and the CMS for long time without any mentionable problem. Sure, sometimes I had ones, but nothing really important. I sword that I do not experiment any weird situation as related by posters in this thread. Maybe I am a lucky man. Who knows...

In fact I would like to congratulate the Dev Team by the nice and hard work that they are doing in DS since the 4.5 release. I can see the refinements in the UI with the new icons, new organization, and new options to attend the demands of every artist and content creator. The DSON file format is a milestone in DS development. A real improvement over the previous formats. I know it has some issues, but I am sure it will fixed and improved in the future.

As Rogerbee said "Just because this and the DIM exist it doesn't mean that you HAVE to use them.". I would ask: why not? I use DIM all the time to install and update my products. It works like a charm. I always hated the executable content installers, and being a Mac user for a reason. Differently from my Windows users counterparts, mac installers become incompatible with new OS versions, especially after the transition to Intel processors. The zip packages always were a better alternative, so I do not miss the old method. I use DIM to see the installer files and installed files. From the Details pane i can go directly to my order in DAZ Store. I use the filters all the time to get some information about or a selection of my stuff. I have zero complaints to DIM. It just works to me.

The CMS is another amazing DS feature that is sub estimated by so much users. i think it is a shine feature and I can imagine how I could live without it for so long time. It is rich and flexible. It is so better than the old categorization system and I just cannot understand why people complaint about it. To me something like a structured folder organization seems very ancient. I just do not mind where the file is installed, what I need to know is what it is and its compatibility with what. I do not saying that some folder organization is unnecessary, just that when you are setting/creating a scene the metadata associations make much more sense than where the file is located. I mean, I need a dress to a figure, it so much easy get it from the Smart Content pane than from the Content folders. The real pain with CMS is not the system but the metadata supplied, or not supplied at all. There are a lot to be made to improve this area. Sure, database corruption is an issue also, but that is inherent to databases. You need constant optimizations and some backup mechanism to stay safe.

DS is a great tool and is getting better after each release. I give up Poser sometime at last year and do not get me wrong, It is a nice tool also. I used it for years, but now, I much prefer the DS UI and workflow. It is just a personal preference.

By the way, talking about the UI, the Mac UI specifically, I would like to make a request or maybe to know why is how is it. In DS for Windows you get the icons in menu so much visible than in the DS for Mac. Take a look in the screenshots below. The icons in the menu are clear in the Windows version, and so pale in the menu from the Mac version. I would like to get visible icons in the Mac version. They would be as the Look At My Hair icon. What do you think? It is just an aesthetic and cosmetic complaint, but DS users are visual thinkers, so I think this would be make sense.

Captura_de_Tela_2014-02-11_às_21.56_.05_.png
    238 x 836 - 92K
    Captura_de_Tela_2014-02-11_às_22.13_.04_.png
    184 x 822 - 45K
    Post edited by MBusch on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Horses for courses I guess,

Perhaps it's better on a Mac, I've never had one so I couldn't really say. It all depends on what you're used to and for me that's manual downloads and ordinary content libraries. It's what works for me, so I don't feel like changing that.

Even when I eventually transfer everything to my new PC, I'll do so manually as I know it's going to work for me.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    MBusch said:

As Rogerbee said "Just because this and the DIM exist it doesn't mean that you HAVE to use them.". I would ask: why not? I use DIM all the time to install and update my products. It works like a charm.

I don't use it for a simple reason: it requires a folder and files in and therefore access to the Public Documents folder, and nothing on my system is allowed access to the Public Documents folder. The DIM should not REQUIRE that location (especially for things that should go in App data); it should be user configurable. In fact I noticed that in the DIM log files on each running it reports setting that location, which implies to me it OUGHT to be configurable - if it's hard coded with no facility for a choice why is the log showing it? But the option for the user to configure it has either been disabled or hidden. Until and unless DIM does not require access to Public Documents it will never be used on my system.

Hi David, before all, you are one of my heroes in the community and I have so much respect for your opinion, but I think sometimes we stand hard in a complaint or in a point of view, and forget what for. While I agree that the Public folder in Windows and its counterpart, the Shared folder on OS X, are not the best place to hold the DIM configuration files, as you can configure where the package install files are downloaded, I cannot see this as an obstacle to use DIM. First of all, Public is a bad name for that folder in Windows, because it is not so Public at the start. The public folder is visible to every local user of the computer but not to the network unless you turn it network shared deliberately. So, the term Shared, as used in OS X, seems more appropriate to this folder. Anyway, while visible to the computer's local users, just the computer administrator(s) have write access to it. I download my files to another hard disk, so the Shared folder just hold the manifest files, filters, and settings, and I think these files are of low security level because they do not hold any sensible information. Again, while I agree that the App data folder in All users on Windows, or the /Library folder in the Computer domain of OS X are the best places for this configuration files, I cannot see this as obstacle to prive me to get the DIM benefits, but it is just my option.

I hope the developers at sometime listen the reason and move this configuration folder to the appropriate place. App data folder on Windows and Library folder on OS X. This move will not cause any disagreement with the EULA which I ear is why this folder is where is it. I am sure that a lot of users with this concern will start to use DIM.

The CMS is another amazing DS feature that is sub estimated by so much users.

I don't use it and the Smart Content pane for the same reason I didn't when it first appeared. The vast majority of my content, collected since 2004, is not from DAZ and has no metadata, so doesn't show up in Smart Content. Manually creating all that metadata is well beyond my abilities. I'm disabled and can only use the computer for short periods of time - manually metadata-ing my content is a completely impossible and inconceivable task for me. Even if I was still healthy and could use the computer as I used to, the task would still be too vast and tedious to contemplate. So, I use content library and a folder structure in which I can find all of my content, rather than Smart Content in which I can only find a fraction of it.
    /quote]

Yes, I can understand this. I also have been collecting stuff since 1999, and while the vast majority of my content is from DAZ, I have a lot of stuff from other vendors. I was re-installing my content for months and building or re-building the metadata for every product installed, including also for those of other vendors. It is a time consuming task sometimes, but it is paying off. The good news is that a lot of creators from other vendors are including the metadata files for their new DS compatible products, so maybe at sometime we will have more stuff with metadata than without it. I hope so!

Cheers!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

areg5 said:
    areg5 said:

Cool tip regarding poses that sets a figure back to the 0 position will try that it can be so annoying at times.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,179
    edited December 1969

Note that DAZ Studio 4.6.2.118 has replaced the previous build - the original post has been updated to reflect the change. This build fixes the toolbar issue first noted in post #4. Anyone that has experienced the toolbar issue should not need to do anything more than install and launch the update - it should automatically correct the replication issue.

The 4.6.2.118 build will also cause the Home page to be displayed by default - the "Do not show this again" option should function as expected, after the initial display of the page. Do note that the QuickStart Video button, top center, on the Home page has been replaced with an Interactive Tutorials button. Take a moment to explore this new feature - information regarding how you can construct your own interactive lessons will be made available shortly.

-Rob

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

I am the author of infamous post number 4. I have loaded 4.6.2.118 and it looks good. No more duplicates so far. Thanks for the fast fix.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited February 2014

MBusch said:
    mjc1016 said:
    DavidGB said:
    It is fine for DAZ to recommend the use of it as a location; it is fine for them to make it a default; it is NOT fine for them to require it.

Actually, that is the MS specified location to install 'shared' content...items meant to be used by all users.

Recommended to shared content. It is not mandatory. Anyway, the DAZ3D\InstallManager folder which holds configuration files as filters, manifests, and settings, which are not content files, should be at \Users\All Users\AppData in Windows and to the counterpart at /Library/Application Support in OS X.While we all think of the term "Content" differently than the rest of the world because of the software we use, Content does not just mean Victoria 6 and everything she wears, her hair and all her friends. Filters and Manifests are generally considered content, settings may or may not be content.

Now I am not saying that an argument for them being in Appdata couldn't be made, but where they are is definitely one of the places where the authors of the Operating Systems say they should be.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Alongside the DS update to fix the toolbar issue is another update to the Photoshop bridge. Anyone know what the bridge update contains?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

Rob, the interactive lessons are pretty impressive. Even though I have a customized interface, it found the right place to point each time.

One thing I didn't like about the interactive lessons was that it made my main window very dark. It was hard to see the model, clothing, and hair that I was working with.

Each yellow arrow took 2 or 3 seconds to draw. Is that intentional, or is there something wrong with my settings? I would prefer to have them go faster, if that is an option.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Sometimes in studio while moving a camera in a scene I am just starting Daz crashes. No idea why. Also I just got the breast and glute movement morphs on sale and can't get them to show up in Genesis.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Alongside the DS update to fix the toolbar issue is another update to the Photoshop bridge. Anyone know what the bridge update contains?

The plugins that are developed by DAZ proper, and typically accompany a given build of the application, are all built as part of the same process. In some cases there is no specific change to a plugin itself, except to keep versions in sync with one another - as this convention makes it easier to support and maintain with the very small teams that are responsible for doing so. With some exceptions, as noted near the top of the page, the changes that are in any given build are posted to the Change Log. A bug fix for a product that has already been released to the public is typically not excluded from the log - that is typically reserved for new features/products, though often times not even then.

-Rob

• msorrelsmsorrels Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

So the Photoshop bridge wasn't modified at all, just rebuilt?

Will DAZ ever fix the Photoshop bridge to work with Photoshop CC?

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Rob, the interactive lessons are pretty impressive. Even though I have a customized interface, it found the right place to point each time.

One thing I didn't like about the interactive lessons was that it made my main window very dark. It was hard to see the model, clothing, and hair that I was working with.

Each yellow arrow took 2 or 3 seconds to draw. Is that intentional, or is there something wrong with my settings? I would prefer to have them go faster, if that is an option.

Yes, quite a bit of work has gone into being able to locate/highlight a given interface element, regardless of layout. We expect users to customize the interface to fit the workflow that works best for them, so it is imperative that an "interactive lesson" be able to handle when it is.

The "masking" that occurs while a lesson is running is, in part, intended to provide enough contrast that the highlighted widget is easily/quickly seen. Another purpose for the mask is to clearly indicate the portion of the interface that clicks will not be passed to the underlying widget - therefore drawing more attention to the portion that will. There may still be some adjustments to make, but whatever they are, they must accomplish the stated goals. We experimented with it quite a bit, and what you see is what we felt best accomplished that goal.

The animated leader lines are another one of those things that may still be tweaked as we consider the feedback. Again, we experimented with several ideas and we found that this particular animation had a significant impact on how quickly a user noticed the widget they were being guided to. The speed of the animation is not set in stone. We're open to feedback.

-Rob

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Rob, thanks for the explanation.

Msorrels: Spooky said back in December that Adobe had changed something with CC, but they (Daz) hasn't figured out just what that was yet.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25174/#504655

edited February 2014

rbtwhiz said:
    barbult said:

Yes, quite a bit of work has gone into being able to locate/highlight a given interface element, regardless of layout. We expect users to customize the interface to fit the workflow that works best for them, so it is imperative that an "interactive lesson" be able to handle when it is.

The "masking" that occurs while a lesson is running is, in part, intended to provide enough contrast that the highlighted widget is easily/quickly seen. Another purpose for the mask is to clearly indicate the portion of the interface that clicks will not be passed to the underlying widget - therefore drawing more attention to the portion that will. There may still be some adjustments to make, but whatever they are, they must accomplish the stated goals. We experimented with it quite a bit, and what you see is what we felt best accomplished that goal.

The animated leader lines are another one of those things that may still be tweaked as we consider the feedback. Again, we experimented with several ideas and we found that this particular animation had a significant impact on how quickly a user noticed the widget they were being guided to. The speed of the animation is not set in stone. We're open to feedback.

-Rob

I agree, the interactive lessons are impressive. I take the 2 available lessons and seems an amazing way to learn how to use DS. The arrow timing is fine to me, but maybe we can get some options in the preferences to play the lesson in a slow, normal and fast mode. Options are always a good thing.

Anyway, I found a situation where the lessons did not play correctly. In a dual monitor setup, the playing will stop at sometime. I tried a couple times and it stopped at different moments, but always stop before the finish. Possibly because the panes in the second monitor are reported as Off Screen panes.

Congratulations for this!

Post edited by MBusch on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I've installed the very latest version and am having a problem with the interactive lessons. Firstly, there is only one listed the Barefoot Dancer. When I select that, I get an error message to the effect that it requires 8 files from Genesis 2 starter Essentials, which it cannot find.

Strange, because the starter essentials is correctly installed and accessible to me through Smart Content.

Anyone have a solution?

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Well, installing the new version went, yet again, without a hitch. One thing I do like about DS is that it doesn't mess up your layout when you install a new version, Poser could do that and it'd take ages to get things back where you had them.

CHEERS!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I've installed the very latest version and am having a problem with the interactive lessons. Firstly, there is only one listed the Barefoot Dancer. When I select that, I get an error message to the effect that it requires 8 files from Genesis 2 starter Essentials, which it cannot find.

Strange, because the starter essentials is correctly installed and accessible to me through Smart Content.

Anyone have a solution?

Roy, do you have the paths to your content folder listed in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager?

Can you see the Genesis and Genesis2 stuff in the Content Library pane (NOT Smart Content), if not, you may have to list the paths in the Content Directory manager.

When I looked at this, there is only one listed, Barefoot Dancer, it works fine for me if I allow it to change the layout to Hollywood Blvd, and it also worked when I used my own layout.

See if that helps any.
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited February 2014

Liking this version so far, and the issues with errors popping up when using Deep Shadow Map are as far as I can see are now gone. :)

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    Liking this version so far, and the issues with errors popping up when using Deep Shadow Map are as far as I can see are now gone. :)

That does sound good!
    Does it come with a new version of 3delight?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited February 2014

Kerya said:
    ghosty12 said:

That does sound good!
    Does it come with a new version of 3delight?

Ok I just had to test it a bit further on a old scene and the errors are still popping up in the render progress window but this could be due to the version of Studio I was using (but I doubt it) when I created the scene and that I used the DSM on a spotlight..

The scene I created that did not spout the errors and I used the DSM on a linear point light and I was also using the Average setting from the DS4 Render Preference Script by AMR to reduce the render time so that may also have been why..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on