Morphing electrical cord

Hi all,

How about a morphing electrical cord with a wall outlet?

I have some table lamps that desperately need it.

Or does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks!

smiley

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by Sevrin on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I'm halfway through an Everyday Cables pack at the moment, although I'm not sure when it'll be finished. It has several cables/plugs that might be right, but if you can give me more info (US or UK plug/socket?), or even a pic, it would help. If I haven't already got a suitable one, I can probably add one in.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited November 2019

What about Australian cables? 

AussieWallOutlet.jpg
    196 x 156 - 11K
    Aussie2PinPlug.jpg
    225 x 225 - 8K
    Aussie3PinPlug.jpg
    259 x 194 - 11K
    Post edited by frankrblow on

Nope, I don't want to go with more than 2 plug types. This is because quite a few of the pieces incorporate the plug and/or junction box as part of the geometry, and due to the way the cable fits into the plug, I have to make 2 completely different models with upwards of 20 morphs each. I briefly considered adding a European type, but there's no real EU standard, and the work involved is too much.

Apologies to all Oz friends!!!

• Sorry for the delay. I was very busy.

It's a US plug/socket with 2 or 3 pins (the number of pins doesn't matter, IMO)

Thanks

Plug North America.jpg
    567 x 554 - 39K
    Wall Outlet - 2.jpg
    1507 x 2282 - 337K
    Wall Outlet -1.jpg
    200 x 300 - 12K
    Electric Plug.jpg
    1200 x 726 - 72K

Here's a double socket (there's a single too) with plug. Mine are lined up horizontally, but you can rotate the socket. I did a couple of quick tests with some of the cables, and they can be fitted into a vertical socket, although it's a fake, because the plug itself doesn't rotate.

The 2nd render is a US junction box with a 3 meter cable plugged into it (the cable has plenty of morphs, including one for each socket position in the junction box).

I also have cables with no plugs, so you can add a plug to them, hdmi cables, USB, iPhone, etc. All cables are duplicated in a UK version, (although not 100% identical - see Oz post for explanation)

I haven't finished the materials yet, so don't judge them too harshly.

EvCables01.jpg
    1009 x 945 - 165K
    EvCables02.jpg
    1009 x 945 - 59K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,084
    maclean said:

Here's a double socket (there's a single too) with plug. Mine are lined up horizontally, but you can rotate the socket. I did a couple of quick tests with some of the cables, and they can be fitted into a vertical socket, although it's a fake, because the plug itself doesn't rotate.

The 2nd render is a US junction box with a 3 meter cable plugged into it (the cable has plenty of morphs, including one for each socket position in the junction box).

I also have cables with no plugs, so you can add a plug to them, hdmi cables, USB, iPhone, etc. All cables are duplicated in a UK version, (although not 100% identical - see Oz post for explanation)

One suggestion on the power strip (image to the right)...the power supply cable should be as thick as or thicker than the individual cable that is plugged into it.  this is for safe operation, as it supplies power to several outlets.  And in the US, the proper orientation, per electical code, would be verticle for the outlets, whether one or two or four outlets per wall plate. Actually, I don't know if we have sets with just one outlet. (see the photos submitted by Barzoff)  Also note the orientation of the third , partly rounded, prong.  The rounded side is up towards the two flat prongs, flat side is toward the bottom.

Just for the sake of realism and accuracy.

Dana

• maclean said:

Looks really great so far!

Many thanks for spending your time in this!

DanaTA said:
    maclean said:

One suggestion on the power strip (image to the right)...the power supply cable should be as thick as or thicker than the individual cable that is plugged into it.  this is for safe operation, as it supplies power to several outlets.  And in the US, the proper orientation, per electical code, would be verticle for the outlets, whether one or two or four outlets per wall plate. Actually, I don't know if we have sets with just one outlet. (see the photos submitted by Barzoff)  Also note the orientation of the third , partly rounded, prong.  The rounded side is up towards the two flat prongs, flat side is toward the bottom.

Dana

Dana - Thanks for pointing out these details. I've tweaked the things you mentioned. I also noticed that on Type B sockets, the left-hand flat pin (looking at Barzoff's pic) is slightly 'taller' than the right. This is apparently done to ensure correct polarity with Type A plugs, so I added that tweak too.

It's actually not that easy to get info on US plugs & sockets. There don't always appear to be concrete standards adhered to across the whole US. However, there are definitely single outlet sockets available, and it's only a small prop, so I've kept that one in the pack, along with the vertical double outlet.

Barzoff - I'm pretty sure it'll end up looking good. I'd rather take a bit of extra time and get everything right, even if it means delaying the release a bit.

Watch this space, as they say! LOL.

• Interstingly, I've seen some sockets with USB ports on them, to plug charge cords for cellphones and other devices into.  Something like that might be worth making a version of, too.  I was actually looking for something like that as a prop a few months ago when I was kit-bashing a room.  The one wall in the room I needed to remove and replace with a copy of another wall from that room was the only one that had sockets on it, and the sockets there were the type that had those USB ports on it, but the sockets were part of the wall itself and couldn't be pulled off of it for kit-bashing, so had to use the ones from one of the other products.... which didn't have USB ports.

maclean said:
    DanaTA said:
    maclean said:

Dana

Dana - Thanks for pointing out these details. I've tweaked the things you mentioned. I also noticed that on Type B sockets, the left-hand flat pin (looking at Barzoff's pic) is slightly 'taller' than the right. This is apparently done to ensure correct polarity with Type A plugs, so I added that tweak too.

It's actually not that easy to get info on US plugs & sockets. There don't always appear to be concrete standards adhered to across the whole US. However, there are definitely single outlet sockets available, and it's only a small prop, so I've kept that one in the pack, along with the vertical double outlet.

Barzoff - I'm pretty sure it'll end up looking good. I'd rather take a bit of extra time and get everything right, even if it means delaying the release a bit.

Watch this space, as they say! LOL.

Yes, the larger prong on the left is for polarity.  There are still appliances or other electric things that are made without the third prong.  For those, they may have the polarized left prong, which prevents it being plugged in the wrong way.  I understand that some things may not work properly if plugged in the wrong way, and may even cause damage.  But, most things now come with the three prongs.

There is an electical code that covers the entire nation, but that is only enforced with new constructions, or renovations, or if a house is being sold it has to be brought up to code.  So, there are still older outlets in place that have neither the three prongs nor the polarized prongs.  I suspect that the latter is not so prevalent anymore, because everything comes with those on the plugs now, and they would be useless without the proper outlets available.  And computers and modern electronics all require the three pronged outlets.  Some people have used those old adapters that take the plug, but have only two prongs going out to the outlets.  These are a hazard now, and probably would void any warranty on the equipment being used.

There are also different types of safety outlets, like GFCI outlets and a newer type, which I forget, that are required in certain areas in the home.  GFCI are required in kitchens and bathrooms when near faucets, for dishwashers, etc.  You will see these with a pair of button between the outlets...one red, one black.  The red button is above the black one.  And yes, there are outlets now that have USB charging outlets in the mix.

Dana

edited November 2019

Interstingly, I've seen some sockets with USB ports on them, to plug charge cords for cellphones and other devices into.  Something like that might be worth making a version of, too.  I was actually looking for something like that as a prop a few months ago when I was kit-bashing a room.  The one wall in the room I needed to remove and replace with a copy of another wall from that room was the only one that had sockets on it, and the sockets there were the type that had those USB ports on it, but the sockets were part of the wall itself and couldn't be pulled off of it for kit-bashing, so had to use the ones from one of the other products.... which didn't have USB ports.

I saw outlets with USB ports (see pics) and that's something I may add to an extension or socket. Bear in mind that with every new addition to an outlet, morphs have to be added to the appropriate cables so they can be plugged in, and the work involved increases exponentially.

USjunction02.jpg
    985 x 654 - 40K
    USsocket04.jpg
    920 x 709 - 50K
    Post edited by maclean on
    maclean said:

Interstingly, I've seen some sockets with USB ports on them, to plug charge cords for cellphones and other devices into.  Something like that might be worth making a version of, too.  I was actually looking for something like that as a prop a few months ago when I was kit-bashing a room.  The one wall in the room I needed to remove and replace with a copy of another wall from that room was the only one that had sockets on it, and the sockets there were the type that had those USB ports on it, but the sockets were part of the wall itself and couldn't be pulled off of it for kit-bashing, so had to use the ones from one of the other products.... which didn't have USB ports.

I saw outlets with USB ports (see pics) and that's something I may add to an extension or socket. Bear in mind that with every new addition to an outlet, morphs have to be added to the appropriate cables so they can be plugged in, and the work involved increases exponentially.

To make this worse for you, most USB cables have two different plugs at opposite ends...one that goes into that outlet, and a smaller one that goes into the device being charged.

Dana

DanaTA said:
    maclean said:

To make this worse for you, most USB cables have two different plugs at opposite ends...one that goes into that outlet, and a smaller one that goes into the device being charged.

Dana

Yep. I'm working right now on a 1 meter USB extension cable. I already have the male/female plugs, plus an iPhone plug, so I'm considering how to best go about it. One way is to make the extension with a single male plug (to go into the electrical outlet, pc, etc), and leave the other end 'blank' so the user can fit a plug. But a better alternative may be to include the female plug, and add a morph which makes it disappear so a different one can be added. (I'm not sure how well that morph would work, but if it's horrible in the in-between stages, I can make it a boolean switch so it's either on or off).

Adding a quick render of the new socket with USB.

DSsocket01.jpg
    1009 x 945 - 166K
    edited November 2019

Here is a picture showing the different USB connector types.  The most common at one end are the USB A, whcih goes into these outlets.  The most common on the other end of the cable are the Type B and Micro B.  The Micro B type is on most phone charger cables that I've seen.  My Android phone has that type of jack on the phone.  Most seem to have that type.  The larger Type B is common in many computer accessories.

USB Types

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • Something else to consider:  Older iPads and maybe older iPhones used to have their own, wider, proprietary connector at the device-end, and now have a smaller, proprietary connector at the device-end.

Something else to consider:  Older iPads and maybe older iPhones used to have their own, wider, proprietary connector at the device-end, and now have a smaller, proprietary connector at the device-end.

Yeah, Apple just has to be different.  Part of what makes their stuff more expensive.

Dana

To be honest, I'm only including a few USB plugs & cables, along with some HDMIs. Getting into older/newer iPhone connectors is way beyond the scope of this pack. Most of the cables were always going to be electrical, but I'll try to cover as many options as I can.

• Here's a UK style socket with USB outlts, plus plugs.

46506.jpg
    450 x 450 - 63K
    43788334-electrical-outlet-in-the-uk-power-socket-and-cable.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 72K
    d.jpg
    450 x 450 - 39K
    image_show.jpg
    750 x 600 - 59K
    l.jpg
    450 x 450 - 10K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Would you consider a wide variety of cord draping/coiling poses, either as the original or as an add-on?  I have a number of poseable cables or tubes, but most have a very limited set of basic poses, like a single curve or an S curve, spiral and bend/twist.    Having some messy coils or tangled bundles or running along the ground with a few bumps as the cable drapes over other objects, or hanging from multiple points along the ceiling would all be super awesome options.

good call on the option to hide the plugs (or extra cables with no plus), that will be helpful since the cable can then be used for anything rather than being limited to a specific type of plug.

I'm not sure how useful poses would be for these cables. Remember that these are all made with morphs, not easypose chains. So, for example, if a cable has 20 morphs, you just drag the morph slider you need.

Re easypose chains - This was the first thing I tried, but the sheer number of body parts required to get a decent cable was huge. I ended up with 300-400 in a chain just to get a decent result. I know morphs are more limited, but even with easypose, the poses you mention would be great for some people, but not for others. I wouldn't know how to choose which ones to include. (But I've already made several wall cables with hanging/sagging morphs, so that may help you).

The 'hide plug' morph woorks well, so I'm adding that option to all cables.

At the moment, my main concern is trying to build and import everything in a logical manner that the user can easily work with. I eventually decided that the electrical sockets need to be the center of the universe, with all plugs loading straight into them. All cables will have one morph to fit into a socket (for example, the USB extension plugging into the socket's USB port), then all other morphs can be used as normal. Once a cable is parented to the socket, they can be moved around together, (or used with no socket, obviously). I've tried several other ways to set things up, and this is definitely the easiest.

Dana & medievalpirate - Thanks for the pics. I'll be including various USB plug sizes, and I've added USB ports to both the US & UK sockets.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

@maclean

Very much looking forward to seeing this product in the storeyes I need to recreate something like this: laugh

@maclean - You're welcome!

Dana

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884

Thank you Maclean, UK plugs and sockets are something I have been looking for for a long time, instabuy.

https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-cables

• BarzoffBarzoff Posts: 95

Thank you very much. These cables will be very useful!yes

• Yup, grabbed the everyday cables pack, too.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 572

I really like the look of the Everyday Cables product. I'm having a bit of trouble with posing the cables though. With the included morphs in these static objects, it seems useful for creating a clutter of cords in a scene if you don't really need to worry about where the ends go. However, would there happen to be a fully posable version of the cords that we can attach the different ends to? That would help a lot with posing the cords when you want to make a lamp and other electronic devices look like they're really plugged in.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Bought it as soon as I saw it. Thanks, Maclean!
    I'll vote with Quasar, just one posable cord about 6mm X 2 meter would be much appreciated!
    (With the pivot end marked so it will be easy to tell where to start!

I've used Melody 2.0's tail for this on occasion - the square end is the fixed point!