UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    Daventaki said:
    Daventaki said:

I was going to ask if there was anyway to add in an option to control the amount of the grass/flowers in the scene.

Not really other than turning layers off before you build the scene. Another thing on the list of things to add to the script in the future :)

Aw, I was thinking adding more not less!  Will have to see what this layers thing does when your able to implement it.  Until then I would forge on and continue playing!

Click for full size!  Woodlands 5 with the pond.  Iradiance sunny skies HDRI.

If you want more, you could try what I did accidently - include two separate UltraScenery runs in one scene. Use different seeds for each so they scatter in different locations.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    dawnblade said:

Thanks for your responses to my questions, HowieFarkes. Here is my render and settings. However, I did the same thing you pointed out to JackReason--moving the camera. In fact, I added another ultra-wide angle camera. That is probably why I'm not getting any tall grass in this area.

Probably. You can try rebuilding with "Restrict instances to camera" set to 'none' or set to your current camera. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited March 2020

This is exciting product for DAZ Studio. Are there instructions how we can create our own trees to use as addons?

If not, here is a beginner's list for the addon tree product I'd like to see:

Here's a list of trees from my area (Central Appalachia):

various Rhododendron (both tree & shrub)

various Azalea (only shrub)

Mountain Laurel (both tree & shrub)

blackberry

raspberry

Tulip Poplar

Beech

American Hazelnut

Yellow Pine

Maple (red)

American Chestnut

Oaks (red, black, white, scarlet)

American Ash

Sassafras

Gum (sweet and black)

Hickory (different types)

Black Walnut

Butternut

Northern Pecan

American Persimmon

Paw Paw

There are also things like a wild variety of mosses, blueberry, huckleberry, ferns, grasses, wintergreen and other ground vines, and various native herbs. 

eg

http://www.asecular.com/forests/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian%E2%80%93Blue_Ridge_forests

+++++

That's my first interest but then there are landscapes in other places I've lived that I'm interested in too. It would be nice to have these offered as subsets the way birds, gardeners, outdoorsmen can buy books and media relevant just for their region.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    MelanieL said:

Here are my first trials. I wanted to start cautiously (not sure how my PC would hold up) so the first is a Restricted build (i.e. just the camera view) of grassland and pond. I need not have worried too much - the build took less than 5 minutes and the render 13 minutes (CPU render).

I love this - simple but very effective.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited March 2020

Here's an early test from me - not as creative as some of the images I'm afraid. This uses the pond/lake and a sky HDRI.

Far Shore.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 655K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited March 2020

How long should generating a scene take? I probably should have read the manual first, but the interface seemed so straightforward. I went through each tab and made a selection for each, hit "go" and now over 30min later I'm still waiting. System specs - Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080TI FTW3. My CPU isn't really going crazy either...it bounces between 10 - 20% load as I sit here and wait. 

Capture.jpg
    396 x 391 - 22K
    Post edited by MelissaGT on

How long should generating a scene take? I probably should have read the manual first, but the interface seemed so straightforward. I went through each tab and made a selection for each, hit "go" and now over 30min later I'm still waiting. System specs - Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080TI FTW3. My CPU isn't really going crazy either...it bounces between 10 - 20% load as I sit here and wait. 

That's not outside the realms of expectation but certainly at the longer end. Alas it seems that newer versions of Studio actualy take longer than older ones. I developed this on 4.8 but 4.11 seems to take up to 50% longer to generate a scene :(

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

A couple of mine have taken up to 25-30 minutes.  I don't think i have had one that had 177228 instance yet though. most have been around 120000.

edited March 2020

That's not outside the realms of expectation but certainly at the longer end. Alas it seems that newer versions of Studio actualy take longer than older ones. I developed this on 4.8 but 4.11 seems to take up to 50% longer to generate a scene :(

It finished at just over 50min. I can live with that if I just have to build the scene once and then I can save and reload it at will. 

Am I to understand from past comments in this thread that we can't use the Iray preview mode? That's certainly a concern with putting together a scene once the instances are all generated. I use it religiously, turning it on and off as needed, in order to put together my lighting and characters, etc. I can understand not being able to move things once it's turned on, but I still like to be able to get an idea of what things are going to look like to make tweaks with it off. 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Rebuilt and there's the grass and larger rocks!

UltraSceneryTest2.jpg
    2552 x 1000 - 3M
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

It finished at just over 50min. I can live with that if I just have to build the scene once and then I can save and reload it at will. 

Am I to understand from past comments in this thread that we can't use the Iray preview mode? That's certainly a concern with putting together a scene once the instances are all generated. I use it religiously, turning it on and off as needed, in order to put together my lighting and characters, etc. I can understand not being able to move things once it's turned on, but I still like to be able to get an idea of what things are going to look like to make tweaks with it off. 

When I used the "restrict instances to camera" feature on the Build tab, calculating/building took less time (15-20 min.) and I was able to use Iray preview. The downside to it is that if you move your camera, you will need to  select the parent object in the Scene tab and build again.

I believe the advantage to not selecting a camera in the Build tab is that you won't have to repeat the build process if you move your camera. The downside is that for me it took longer to build initially, and with my 1080TI the Iray preview never even got to Iray even after 30 min., so I had to kill it with Task Manager. So if you use this method, stay away from Iray preview, save first and just hit render to see how it looks.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

My first test render. Scene generated in about ten minutes on a 4 Core 4ghz I7 with 32GB of memory. Lighting is bog-standard sun sky with a camera to point the sun. Rendered on a 1080 with 8GB of memory in about an hour.

This product is amazing.  It’s very easy to use with a simple, very intuitive interface which gently guides you through the process of setting up and generating the scene. Worth every penny of its full asking price, never mind the generous introductory discount. 

I look forward to seeing more terrain and vegetation options.  How about some oaks?

Cheers,

Alex.

Did somebody say "oaks"?

A render using some oaks and reeds from an 'in development' add-on pack.

I think I'm gonna cry....

;)

Laurie

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,887

Another stab at 3dl ultrascenery, this time with the water in the right place and a little more post work.

This is exciting product for DAZ Studio. Are there instructions how we can create our own trees to use as addons?

If not, here is a beginner's list for the addon tree product I'd like to see:

Here's a list of trees from my area (Central Appalachia):

various Rhododendron (both tree & shrub)

various Azalea (only shrub)

Mountain Laurel (both tree & shrub)

blackberry

raspberry

Tulip Poplar

Beech

American Hazelnut

Yellow Pine

Maple (red)

American Chestnut

Oaks (red, black, white, scarlet)

American Ash

Sassafras

Gum (sweet and black)

Hickory (different types)

Black Walnut

Butternut

Northern Pecan

American Persimmon

Paw Paw

There are also things like a wild variety of mosses, blueberry, huckleberry, ferns, grasses, wintergreen and other ground vines, and various native herbs. 

eg

http://www.asecular.com/forests/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian%E2%80%93Blue_Ridge_forests

+++++

That's my first interest but then there are landscapes in other places I've lived that I'm interested in too. It would be nice to have these offered as subsets the way birds, gardeners, outdoorsmen can buy books and media relevant just for their region.

Well it seems I need to seriously consider what the future roadmap for this is going to be - I have so many things that I'd like/need to put in (including enabling users to design their own ecologies) but it can't all be done at once (I know - not fair).

• AtiAti Posts: 9,080
    edited March 2020

I have so many things that I'd like/need to put in (including enabling users to design their own ecologies) but it can't all be done at once (I know - not fair).

That's okay. We still have two weeks of March Madness. :D

Post edited by Ati on
    Ati said:

I have so many things that I'd like/need to put in (including enabling users to design their own ecologies) but it can't all be done at once (I know - not fair).

That's okay. We still have two weeks of March Madness. :D

LOL

edited March 2020
    dawnblade said:

When I used the "restrict instances to camera" feature on the Build tab, calculating/building took less time (15-20 min.) and I was able to use Iray preview. The downside to it is that if you move your camera, you will need to  select the parent object in the Scene tab and build again.

I believe the advantage to not selecting a camera in the Build tab is that you won't have to repeat the build process if you move your camera. The downside is that for me it took longer to build initially, and with my 1080TI the Iray preview never even got to Iray even after 30 min., so I had to kill it with Task Manager. So if you use this method, stay away from Iray preview, save first and just hit render to see how it looks.

When I read the user guide, I was actually really excited about this feature. I usually build my subject/camera first, and then worry about the background second. So this is perfect. 

I do have one other issue...I've attached a copy of my first test render and the water seems odd...like it looks more like a grey street than a stream. I know there are settings options for water...what settings would be recommended to change the water to look more like those in the promos? Like the rocks and logs are darker where they are wet but the water itself is just perfectly clear. I'm not sure if it looks that light because of the sun scattering in it or what? *shrugs*

This seems like a pretty complete package to me already, but for add-ons, I'd love to see evergreens and maybe some mossy trees. That "old world forest" feel maybe? Definitely excited about the oaks. 

ultra scenery test.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,305
    edited March 2020

Playing with more alternate skies and tossed in the beautiful A-Frame cabin. Fireflies added in post.

_DS_Cabin_Creek_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 626K
    Post edited by Gogger on

The 

dawnblade said:

When I read the user guide, I was actually really excited about this feature. I usually build my subject/camera first, and then worry about the background second. So this is perfect. 

I do have one other issue...I've attached a copy of my first test render and the water seems odd...like it looks more like a grey street than a stream. I know there are settings options for water...what settings would be recommended to change the water to look more like those in the promos? Like the rocks and logs are darker where they are wet but the water itself is just perfectly clear. I'm not sure if it looks that light because of the sun scattering in it or what? *shrugs*

This seems like a pretty complete package to me already, but for add-ons, I'd love to see evergreens and maybe some mossy trees. That "old world forest" feel maybe? Definitely excited about the oaks. 

The promos were mostly made with the water settings unchanged or maybe with the murkiness turned down a little - but I've never seen the water look like your render. My initial reaction is that maybe your render settings are doing something there as it looks like there is no refraction going on at all and the scale of the surface noise is huge compared to default. Or the water material didn't get applied properly.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Just wanted to say - Totally amazing images, everyone!heart

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    Gogger said:

Playing with more alternate skies and tossed in the beautiful A-Frame cabin. Fireflies added in post.

This is awesome @Gogger love the coloring.  Everyones pictures are just beautiful!!!

Daventaki said:
    Gogger said:

This is awesome @Gogger love the coloring.  Everyones pictures are just beautiful!!!

Thanks!

I. Can't. Stop. Generating. and. Rendering. these! 

So much fun!!

edited March 2020

It is a shame to waste this gorgeous scenery on a dark scene, but you can do so much with this!

On Purple Pond

_DS_On_Purple_Pond_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 604K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • Can I ask, does the routine generate the same plant positions for the same settings, or is there a random element in the generation? Reason I ask is: it may be useful to generate and display the terrain and main trees, then position the camera and any figures with a lighter system load, then regenerate everything to max detail just before a render.

Regards,

Richard

Can I ask, does the routine generate the same plant positions for the same settings, or is there a random element in the generation? Reason I ask is: it may be useful to generate and display the terrain and main trees, then position the camera and any figures with a lighter system load, then regenerate everything to max detail just before a render.

Regards,

Richard

There is a seed for Randomization that you can set - or not.  Say you generate a scene with trees and grass and then decide you don't want the grass - just re-generate and untick grass in Ecosystems and you should get the same scene, but without grass.  I'm pretty sure HowieFarkes said something to the same effect earlier in this thread, but this is one crazy, fast-moving thread, which is a testament to how excited people are with this.

Can I ask, does the routine generate the same plant positions for the same settings, or is there a random element in the generation? Reason I ask is: it may be useful to generate and display the terrain and main trees, then position the camera and any figures with a lighter system load, then regenerate everything to max detail just before a render.

Regards,

Richard

You should be OK to do that. The script will place everything in the same positions unless you change the seed value on the build tab.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

This might be the most exciting thing I personally have ever seen for Daz :) Thanks Howie!!!

Laurie

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I didn't save the settings (I was tired!) but I managed to get a pool with a few trees, bushes and rocks in the middle (I think they are the base items for the instancing).  Most I coudd hide but one rocks seemed to be the anchor point of the scene.

AllenArt said:

This might be the most exciting thing I personally have ever seen for Daz :) Thanks Howie!!!

Laurie

Aw, thank you :)

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

Here’s my second attempt at a test scene. Since my Nvidia 1080 didn’t explode at the mere sight of the first one, I decided to throw caution to the winds and tackle something a good deal more ambitious.  As before the scene was generated in about ten minutes on my 4 core 4ghz I7. Incidentally, how long it takes to generate a scene is very much dependent on how much horsepower your CPU has. I did one test on a 3.4 ghz I5 which took half an hour.

Lighting is bog-standard sun sky with a camera to point the sun. The background jpeg was taken in Shepperton, near London, with my then Canon 550D with a fairly serious landscape lens plugged into the front.

Rendered on the aforementioned 8GB 1080 in about an hour and a quarter, a wee bit longer than the last scene.

I am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the add-ons.

Cheers,

Alex.

River 1 Woodland 1.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 982K
This discussion has been closed.