UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,027

Has there already been an update to fix above–mentioned bugs?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,778
    edited March 2020

An attempt to get waterfall into UltraScenery - https://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-tree-of-life

TreeOfLife01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 622K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I'm rendering a scene in 3DL. It wasn't super hard: ran RSSY 3DL -> Iray to force the materials to be standard Iray, then RSSY Iray -> 3DL.

I'm using a pond scene so replaced the water with some other 3dl water and ... done.

• ValkeerieValkeerie Posts: 155

Superb product. I notice different season/foliage colours in the product renders. Is there a way for me to select these either during build or post-build? I'm puzzled :-)

Thanks
    Colin

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited March 2020
    barbult said:

What is the purpose of the "USC Camera View" file? Metadata says it is a camera, but if I load it, it doesn't load a camera into the scene. It puts white wedge shape into the scene.

It's a temporary prop that is parented to the current camera so that the script can determine what is and isn't in view. The user doesn't need to worry about it and it is buried in the resources folder for that reason.

I kind of like the shadow and sunlight of this one. It was only after the render finished that I discovered that I had accidently put 2 UltraScenery nodes in the same scene. I had a pond and a stream, each with all their trees and grass. Oops. Thank goodness for the efficiency of instances! 

UltraScenery Scene 2 meandering stream_001_Camera 2.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited March 2020

Here are my first trials. I wanted to start cautiously (not sure how my PC would hold up) so the first is a Restricted build (i.e. just the camera view) of grassland and pond. I need not have worried too much - the build took less than 5 minutes and the render 13 minutes (CPU render).

UltraScenery-Heron.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 636K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited March 2020

This one was a full build of Grassland 3, which took 8m45s to build. I used a steeper terrain which I think may explain the area on the left looking like a minor landslip? (I wonder if the algorithm places less greenery on steep parts?) I stopped the render after 20 minutes as it looked cooked enough for this purpose.

UltraScenery-Cows.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 955K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

I had to stop myself from trying to do godrays and lens flare and and and... because 3dl is really annoying and as it was the stupid render took 30, 40 minutes.

I gave the leaves a small amount of translucency. I'm not sure it made much difference.

The water ended up stupid looking but, again, this is more proof of concept; use 3dl water you like.

Interesting experiment, Will - maybe I'll take a look at 3Delight conversion tomorrow. (After all Iray isn't that speedy for me as I'm CPU rendering)

It is very addictive, isn't it - only the fact that my other half is pestering me to come for dinner has stopped me!

Really, the only hard part is that I don't know 3dl so I'm sort of stumbling around to get the lighting and such right. I used AoA distant and ambient light, which was PRETTY good, but... I'm thinking I should have amped it up. Also the water ended up looking like gravel or ash or something. Waaah? Anyway.

One thing I really like in Iray is rendering a canvas; having 32 bit color depth helps a LOT against blow outs and allows a lot of tweaking.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,133
    Oso3D said:

I had to stop myself from trying to do godrays and lens flare and and and... because 3dl is really annoying and as it was the stupid render took 30, 40 minutes.

I gave the leaves a small amount of translucency. I'm not sure it made much difference.

The water ended up stupid looking but, again, this is more proof of concept; use 3dl water you like.

Well, for a proof of concept it looks pretty good!
    For single renders, they can always remove the unnecessary parts, like, most of what's behind the camera, while for consistent recurring renders (for example, exterior shots from inside buildings etc.), they could try to make render some HDRI's out of them, though I have no idea how to do that in 3Delight, but it's relatively easy with the standard beauty canvas in Iray.

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 520
    edited March 2020

Really satisfied with the first results!

UltraSceneRiverHorseWhite2.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by markusmatern on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,049
    edited March 2020

I discovered, the hard way, not to use iRay preview on my PC. For some reason it had a hissy fit every time & put DS in an endless loop. However, full iRay rendering is Ok.

Nice. Beautiful. To be honest if I had never come across FlowScape, I would have been very much happier than I am. It is a gorgeous product, and the results are wonderful. But.. it is not a package that permits you to paint the vegetation into a scene, increasing vegetation density actively, actively sculpting the land. Maybe FS has spoilt me and shown what could be possible. This is a great step, just not the complete leap. Maybe that can come in the future.

I don't want to leave the impression I don't like it. I do. It is unbelievably impressive in the way it works. The trees are so beautiful, the grass is amazing, and having it actually working in DS where the rendering makes things look so great is exactly what I had always hoped for.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

@MelanieL both of those are great. You did an amazing job of placing those cows realistically on the sloped terrain, too. Your background blends in real well, also.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2020
    What happens if you look in the Content Library instead of Smart Content?

Here's a screencap:

Ultrascenery In The Content Library

(I left UltraTrees in the capture so it's obvious where UltraScenery folders end.)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    L'Adair said:
    What happens if you look in the Content Library instead of Smart Content?

Here's a screencap:

Ultrascenery In The Content Library

(I left UltraTrees in the capture so there should it's obvious where UltraScenery folders end.)

OK thank you, so something about "Smart Content" is not handling UltraScenery properly it seems but it looks ok in the Content Library.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

This script is awesome! Great work HowieFarkes! yes While my render is cooking:

1. Does Woodland 4 come with it's own river, or do I select a river from features? I picked river 2 with it. Of course now that I'm 75% done and over 1.25 hours with rendering that I realize I may be covering other items if this gave me 2 rivers instead of one! laugh

2. I'm not seeing any daisies or other flowers or tall grass in my render with Woodland 4 (I didn't uncheck any of the items). Should there be? (Could be an issue if I have 2 rivers in Q1)

3. I can only use Iray preview (with a single 1080TI) when I select a camera for instancing. Otherwise DS locks up and I have to kill it in Task Manager.

4. Is there/will there be a way to select different flowers than daisies?

I'll post a render when it's done!

dawnblade said:

This script is awesome! Great work HowieFarkes! yes While my render is cooking:

1. Does Woodland 4 come with it's own river, or do I select a river from features? I picked river 2 with it. Of course now that I'm 75% done and over 1.25 hours with rendering that I realize I may be covering other items if this gave me 2 rivers instead of one! laugh

2. I'm not seeing any daisies or other flowers or tall grass in my render with Woodland 4 (I didn't uncheck any of the items). Should there be? (Could be an issue if I have 2 rivers in Q1)

3. I can only use Iray preview (with a single 1080TI) when I select a camera for instancing. Otherwise DS locks up and I have to kill it in Task Manager.

4. Is there/will there be a way to select different flowers than daisies?

I'll post a render when it's done!

1. Rivers and roads etc are chosen on the Features tab. The Ecology determines what plants and ground covers are in the scene

2. There are no daisies in the Woodland 4 ecology

3. Yes that does seem to be an issue - not sure what I can do about that at the moment other than update the manual to warn users. I suspect it's linked to Instancing Optimization which needs to be set to "Memory" for Iray renders to not crash your computer but I'm not sure if that can be changed for the Iray Preview renderer

4. Right now the anser is "No". Ecologies are not user definable at the present moment but future plans do include the ability to "mix'n'match" layers from different ecologies.

• JackReasonJackReason Posts: 144

Test...

Landscape.jpg
    1280 x 905 - 506K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    MelanieL said:

Here are my first trials. I wanted to start cautiously (not sure how my PC would hold up) so the first is a Restricted build (i.e. just the camera view) of grassland and pond. I need not have worried too much - the build took less than 5 minutes and the render 13 minutes (CPU render).

I love this - simple but very effective.

Test...

Hey a suggestion... it looks like you have restricted the instances to a camera but then moved the camera to reframe the shot (which is why there is no grass on a lot of the terrain). It is necessary to build the scene again if you move the camera. Select the scene and re-run the script and press build (without changing anything) and it should be good.

• JackReasonJackReason Posts: 144

Test...

Hey a suggestion... it looks like you have restricted the instances to a camera but then moved the camera to reframe the shot (which is why there is no grass on a lot of the terrain). It is necessary to build the scene again if you move the camera. Select the scene and re-run the script and press build (without changing anything) and it should be good.

I didn't read the directions, thanks for the tip.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

A first go with it:

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Test...

Oh heck, that could have been my problem earlier then!  Thanks for the tip! Might I suggest that be put in the pdf if you do an update (appologies if its already there and I missed it).  I was going to ask if there was anyway to add in an option to control the amount of the grass/flowers in the scene.

New render cooking will be up soon!

Test...

Ah, are you saying it's like UltraScatter in that you can re-do, rather than starting from scratch? I don't think that was mentioned in the user guide - maybe it should be?

barbult said:

@MelanieL both of those are great. You did an amazing job of placing those cows realistically on the sloped terrain, too. Your background blends in real well, also.

PhilW said:
    MelanieL said:

I love this - simple but very effective.

Thank you, both! I'm working on another right now - like I said, it is addictive.

Daventaki said:

I was going to ask if there was anyway to add in an option to control the amount of the grass/flowers in the scene.

Not really other than turning layers off before you build the scene. Another thing on the list of things to add to the script in the future :)

MelanieL said:

Ah, are you saying it's like UltraScatter in that you can re-do, rather than starting from scratch? I don't think that was mentioned in the user guide - maybe it should be?

Yes, all your settings are saved with the scene - so if you select the scene and run the script again it will have all the settings used for that scene populated already. And yes I probably should put that into the manual.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2020
    Daventaki said:

I was going to ask if there was anyway to add in an option to control the amount of the grass/flowers in the scene.

Not really other than turning layers off before you build the scene. Another thing on the list of things to add to the script in the future :)

Aw, I was thinking adding more not less!  Will have to see what this layers thing does when your able to implement it.  Until then I would forge on and continue playing!

Click for full size!  Woodlands 5 with the pond.  Iradiance sunny skies HDRI.

UltraSceneryWoodland5.jpg
    2500 x 1000 - 4M
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,079

These renders are gorgeous!

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Thanks for your responses to my questions, HowieFarkes. Here is my render and settings. However, I did the same thing you pointed out to JackReason--moving the camera. In fact, I added another ultra-wide angle camera. That is probably why I'm not getting any tall grass in this area.

UltraSceneryTest1.jpg
    2552 x 1000 - 3M
    UltraSceneCreatorTest1-A.jpg
    340 x 472 - 32K
    UltraSceneCreatorTest1-B.jpg
    308 x 203 - 9K
This discussion has been closed.