a using DAZ content in UE4 thread

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

i really would love if daz team would pay more attention to "this side" of the 3D(gaming) like the reallusion did and started to work more "in ways to improve the daz compatibility with game engines like unreal or unity again like reallusion did it could really help a lot in increase daz popularity in the 3d community not only in render but for others things aswell.

• Ellessarr said:

i really would love if daz team would pay more attention to "this side" of the 3D(gaming) like the reallusion did and started to work more "in ways to improve the daz compatibility with game engines like unreal or unity again like reallusion did it could really help a lot in increase daz popularity in the 3d community not only in render but for others things aswell.

yes

• Ellessarr said:

hello guys i'ts a long time since my last post, i've ben a little busy in my life and also "sick" angry(a annoying flu)  and is worse being sick in the carnival holiday here in brazil, i really loved to hear about that pluging for unreal and daz but for now my pocket is literally "empty" and i can't afford to buy it but next month i will make a little effort to do it and test.

Senor_Monkey , if you need you can checp some previous pages in this thread and find some my "tutorials" about how to import characters from daz to unreal(without that new pluging), they can help a lot with some of the things you are needing like cloths physics.

haha brasileiro entao! legal!!!. Fugi desse barco faz 2 anos, mas algumas coisas sempre vao fazer falta, como a farofa de domingo que minha sogra fazia....crying

By de way....the plugin mentioned above is a iclone to unreal plugin or other else?

• AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910
    edited February 2020

I am following this Thread.. @Ellesar - Thank you for all the Documentation.

Because we can import all wanted Morphs and Animation with a simple FBX Export - and add them later in Unreal to the same character .  I think DAZ3D did allready most what they can do for e clean Export .... 

Shaders in Unreal are individual - I mean i am building my own skin shaders there anyway.

It is also possible to Import Mocap Data in DAZ3D...  and do all the Animations right in DAZ3D....  Because i want full control over Bend Morphs and Posing - and add micro Animation to Mocap ...   DAZ3D let me do this easy using animat2 for this. 

So - to me... the EPIC Skeleton is not needed! It is way faster and more flexible to use the DAZ Skeleton....   A simple export/import. 

The only thing what drives me crazy is the low mesh resolution loosing all my sculpted micro morphs! .Testing now on the unreal side if i can uplevel there using the DAZ mesh and figure out a way to add Details there.

Post edited by AndyGrimm on
  • AndyGrimm said:

Because we can import all wanted Morphs and Animation with a simple FBX Export - and add them later in Unreal to the same character .  I think DAZ3D did allready most what they can do for e clean Export .... 

Shaders in Unreal are individual - I mean i am building my own skin shaders there anyway.

It is also possible to Import Mocap Data in DAZ3D...  and do all the Animations right in DAZ3D....  Because i want full control over Bend Morphs and Posing - and add micro Animation to Mocap ...   DAZ3D let me do this easy using animat2 for this. 

So - to me... the EPIC Skeleton is not needed! It is way faster and more flexible to use the DAZ Skeleton....   A simple export/import. 

The only thing what drives me crazy is the low mesh resolution loosing all my sculpted micro morphs! .Testing now on the unreal side if i can uplevel there using the DAZ mesh and figure out a way to add Details there.

The epic skeleton for me is usefull because every pack of animations on unreal marketplace is rigged for him. A animations retarget betwen daz skeleton and epic dont works very well. For locomotions like ALSV4 (its free on ue4 marketplace), IK bones are essential. I don't know how implement ik bones for hands and foot in daz skeleton, for this i use cc3 because have a skeleton with all the IK bones and correct join orientation.

Ellessarr said:

yes

smiley, don't need to start with big things could be "small things" like fix how the textures are "exported outside daz" since currently daz only export the defuse/base texture and opacity all others textures are ignored when exporting outside daz, just improving this could be already a start.

Ellessarr said:

hello guys i'ts a long time since my last post, i've ben a little busy in my life and also "sick" angry(a annoying flu)  and is worse being sick in the carnival holiday here in brazil, i really loved to hear about that pluging for unreal and daz but for now my pocket is literally "empty" and i can't afford to buy it but next month i will make a little effort to do it and test.

Senor_Monkey , if you need you can checp some previous pages in this thread and find some my "tutorials" about how to import characters from daz to unreal(without that new pluging), they can help a lot with some of the things you are needing like cloths physics.

haha brasileiro entao! legal!!!. Fugi desse barco faz 2 anos, mas algumas coisas sempre vao fazer falta, como a farofa de domingo que minha sogra fazia....crying

By de way....the plugin mentioned above is a iclone to unreal plugin or other else?

ae kra blz??? nussa aki ta 1 calor mo doido carnaval ta fogo ainda + q moro em pernambuco ai pega mto + fogo aki carnaval + verão ehheeh farofa eh coisa boa

going back on topic 

it's this plugging

https://unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/daz-to-unreal

it's allow export a character from daz direct to unreal with all the textures and mats proper configured also the morphs(but's it's seens which some may not proper work, not sure about that.

AndyGrimm said:

yeah my only issue with the "exporting from daz is because it's only export the base/defuse map and opaciity ignoring all others maps making a really annoying job fix that, but as you tould for peoples wanting to test and make they own skin shades it not a big deal.

about the "details, you can bake a "normal map" using the high mesh while it not perfect solution it can help a little all you need to do is know how to proper use the "baked normal" on the "slide" you want the hd detail., if the morph is not a slide and be a regular base of the body then just the bake can be enouugh, i've also made a little tutorial talking about "baking normals", maybe it can help you.

• @cleber_95bb258ead

Yes.. that's a solid argument if your plan is to use ready made animation blueprint stuff from the marketplace.

On the other side - IK Chain is in DAZ implemented since some months ( i read it is buggy? )...  I did not have the time yet to test it in unreal. Working on moprhs and anitmation mostly right now. ...  Is someone around which know more about DAZ IK ?

• i just spent 2 hours on the DAZ side and tested the IK Chain... seems to work ok,  minimum for basic animation. BUT the Timeline is still a mess to work with...and sometimes lags or is buggy.

IK-Chain Datas are not saved in a exported FBX File. But it looks easy to add virtual bones and IK in unreal - everything is well documented.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    AndyGrimm said:

i just spent 2 hours on the DAZ side and tested the IK Chain... seems to work ok,  minimum for basic animation. BUT the Timeline is still a mess to work with...and sometimes lags or is buggy.

IK-Chain Datas are not saved in a exported FBX File. But it looks easy to add virtual bones and IK in unreal - everything is well documented.

I've got an open documented bug on the DAZ Studio 4.12 timeline. I'd stick with UE4 for another 6 months & comeback & try DAZ Studio again in the future. 

• AndyGrimm said:

i just spent 2 hours on the DAZ side and tested the IK Chain... seems to work ok,  minimum for basic animation. BUT the Timeline is still a mess to work with...and sometimes lags or is buggy.

I've got an open documented bug on the DAZ Studio 4.12 timeline. I'd stick with UE4 for another 6 months & comeback & try DAZ Studio again in the future. 

Well i am not in a rush the things i want to do in unreal will keep me bussy for some years wink... I am still trying to figure out a smooth workflow and trying to come to the conclusion if i want to invest in DAZ Game licenses or not. It would be a immediate yes with high resolution characters and LOD. 

Somehow the DAZ Concept sticks 10 years ago. Because the times are long gone when game characters must be low poly. Today High Poly AND low poly Charcaters are needed. Even Indie Games do cinetamic  closeups now. It drives me nuts when i zoom in a closeup and see the edges of the mesh on a otherwise great looking DAZ character devil

But i must also say - that DAZ is extrem close to be a solid replace for expensive Autodesk software and other products....  Having iK Chain and G Force now made me come back after 4 years hopeless waiting for higher resolution Models. Motionbuilder cost 1700 USD year .. DAZ is for free.... hmm... if they would come up with a better bugfree GUI for animation and high resolution LOD licenses they could get a lot respect in the Game/Short Movie Scene.

AndyGrimm said:
    AndyGrimm said:

Well i am not in a rush the things i want to do in unreal will keep me bussy for some years wink... I am still trying to figure out a smooth workflow and trying to come to the conclusion if i want to invest in DAZ Game licenses or not. It would be a immediate yes with high resolution characters and LOD. 

Somehow the DAZ Concept sticks 10 years ago. Because the times are long gone when game characters must be low poly. Today High Poly AND low poly Charcaters are needed. Even Indie Games do cinetamic  closeups now. It drives me nuts when i zoom in a closeup and see the edges of the mesh on a otherwise great looking DAZ character devil

But i must also say - that DAZ is extrem close to be a solid replace for expensive Autodesk software and other products....  Having iK Chain and G Force now made me come back after 4 years hopeless waiting for higher resolution Models. Motionbuilder cost 1700 USD year .. DAZ is for free.... hmm... if they would come up with a better bugfree GUI for animation and high resolution LOD licenses they could get a lot respect in the Game/Short Movie Scene.

as i told you tried to mak the normal bake???, it help a lot making things more "round" also another good help is export the character to maya or blender and on that you can "soft" the mesh it make things look much more round inside unreal.

edited February 2020

@Ellesarr..

Normal Maps are used allready for wrinkles and larger pores in my set up.. Micro skin is a tiled normal map..So i am mixing different normals allready.  A denser mesh (tesselation) in unreal does not work with the shadows... (but on the ears i think i can do it that way....   testing...smoothing the low level mesh means even more detail loss...  working on the skinshader right now...  

Testing the MIke material from the Digital Human example ... very nice on DAZ characters. 

edited February 2020

AndyGrimm alternative way if you feel already mixing "too much normal maps" you can get the "base" normal map you are using then using programs like substance paint or similar(if i'm not wrong you can find 2 "free alternative prograns for substance) and use then to mix the "baked high poly and the "regular normal in a single "normal map" with both.

another way still the "the soft edge and thing which maybe blender don't work in the same way as maya, in  maya you have a option in the "mesh display" where you can make the mesh "looks"(a effect) or more soft(rounded) or more sharp, it's a visually trick the mesh will not gain "extra poly" but will look more smooth and it will be exported to unreal( the effect), for exemple nowadays "many game" models are being used in cinematis, just look at the kojima death strand, all the models used in the cut scenes and cgis where the same as the game, and all of then are "low poly" he just used all the normal tricks to make things more "soft, like the bake normal, soft edge and others " shaders tricks, with that as long you make a character "rounded enought" you can make almost all the "sharps" disappear.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • @Ellessar

The normal Maps are paramater driven in my unreal skin shader -  well as a last solution i would add one for *rounding, smothing" - but actually they should be used for the opposite effect wink...  

OK .. i did not know about this smoothing mesh effect...That explains the message "is not a smoothed mesh" or so ..while importing into UE4. Thx... i will have a look at that - Can it be done in Blender? I am tired of downloading "expensive" software just to test things out devil

AndyGrimm about the "blender" to be honest i never used blender, all my experience was with maya, then i don't know if it have that option i tried to look for it but since i really don't know how blender work( and as far i know and looked it work a lot diferent from maya in many aspects), then i don't know how to do you can try a "google search for blender soft edges", first look for maya soft edge option to have a base in what i'm saying then see if blender can do the same, but normally the tricks to make things "more round for sure are bake the high model poly" and do a soft edge it's work's very good just look at the paragons characters models, all of then are "around the 30 to 50k quad/vertice( i think the big one is around 100k to 110k tri which means  between 50k  and 55k to 60k quad/vertices), already count all the outfit and weapons. ofcourse having a high poly count model still the best option but you can "work around' it with those things if you know how to do it.

edited February 2020

Well for sure it is possible to work around somehow....     But i think i must clarify that my goal is the cinematic part of unreal and not the game part - i mean what i try to do must run at 30 FPS in the best possible quality. It is a joke to walk around with a 16k polygon character - when just the next stone has a 4 k map and 15k polys wink..   

Also looking into game development - 10 - 20k character polycount was standard around 2012 ...  Today it is close to 100k in average..  thinking ahead - when you start to develop a Indie game today - and it takes you 2 - 5 years to finish your project - you should build everything what is animated with 100 - 200k .. Or your game will look like it is10 year old when finish cool

well to be fair CC characters are worst because they have less than 16k, and remember it's 16k a naked character without any "gen" and bold, as soon you start to add "cloths and hair and others things the numbers goes high pretty easy(specially using daz outfits from some artists), you can easy go above 100k, some of my game characters using only daz stuffs easy goes around 100k+, i've already made some 120k characters and remember normally the poly count for game is made in tris, which means normally that numbers of 100k are normally tris which means around 50k vertices/quad, but nowadays you can make a character with 100k quad too is not a big deal but only if not gonna have like 99 characters around that number in the scene.

remember that we are talking about a naked base character unless this character will be naked all the times and don't have his lower parts" and be bold then he will be like that but as soon he start to have hair and cloths then things can go wild with daz cloths if you don't be carefull when choosing the cloths and hair.

many "indies" are still using characters from the mixamo character creator because it's "free" and are really low poly and we have the mixamo animations "for free" making things even more easy.

wow here's a feature which i didn't know until... now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ff0zZcHmaU

you can now "edit and create meshes" inside unreal(it's still experimental and will crash a lot but is a "start"), it's looks like they are moving to make unreal a full 3d tooll in the future where you can go make "everything inside unreal without need any extra tool.

• xermaoxermao Posts: 7
    AndyGrimm said:

The epic skeleton for me is usefull because every pack of animations on unreal marketplace is rigged for him. A animations retarget betwen daz skeleton and epic dont works very well. For locomotions like ALSV4 (its free on ue4 marketplace), IK bones are essential. I don't know how implement ik bones for hands and foot in daz skeleton, for this i use cc3 because have a skeleton with all the IK bones and correct join orientation.

Do you have this issue?

after retargeting,I notice the mantle animation has some issue,daz character's hands go through floor.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

most of mine do that

I just translate the third person player up by clicking on it in the scene until I just get the figure not camera

xermao said:
    AndyGrimm said:

Do you have this issue?

after retargeting,I notice the mantle animation has some issue,daz character's hands go through floor.

for what i can see the issue is really the lack of ik, because the daz character "arms position" is different from the "manequin, the manequin arm is more bent than the daz and if it is not the "animation" then it must be the IK, if that animation is a IK based a "work around" is you edit the "animation to manually fix the arms bend or maybe you can "move" up more the body instead of bend the arms, but in the end you would need to "edit the animation".

• xermaoxermao Posts: 7
    Ellessarr said:
    xermao said:
    AndyGrimm said:

Do you have this issue?

for what i can see the issue is really the lack of ik, because the daz character "arms position" is different from the "manequin, the manequin arm is more bent than the daz and if it is not the "animation" then it must be the IK, if that animation is a IK based a "work around" is you edit the "animation to manually fix the arms bend or maybe you can "move" up more the body instead of bend the arms, but in the end you would need to "edit the animation".

Yes,it's about the animation,finally I fix it by edit the animation.

• UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited March 2020

I've been experimenting with transitioning between two characters using morph targets, skeletal animations, and basic materials.

I also wanted to add my own animations on top of the animations handling character changes.

Here are my results so far going from Genesis 8 Basic Male to Genesis 8 Archdemon (Horns were removed for testing, I hope to animate them in later)

https://youtu.be/F-3GoKSTRAE

Post edited by UpL8Rendering on
  • UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited March 2020

The standard poly exports were losing a lot of details on the Archdemon character.

Here is the same character with one subdivision. Already looking much better!

https://youtu.be/8FSAM7Nu3z4

G8toArchdemon_1.png
    3832 x 1946 - 7M
    G8toArchdemon_2.png
    3832 x 1946 - 7M
    G8toArchdemon_3.png
    3832 x 1946 - 7M
    G8toArchdemon_4.png
    3832 x 1946 - 7M
    Post edited by UpL8Rendering on

The standard poly exports were losing a lot of details on the Archdemon character.

wow very cool, a work around to improve it would be you use the "bake" trick, to make a normal map from the high poly model and inside unreal you set it to "slide" the normal map.

xermao said:
    Ellessarr said:
    xermao said:
    AndyGrimm said:

Do you have this issue?

Yes,it's about the animation,finally I fix it by edit the animation.

another "2 possibles work arounds, could be:

1 - add ik bones to the skeleton - if you have maya or blender or know how to work with any of then, export the unreal manekin to it, unreal have a o option to export it to outside daz, then inside blender or maya you delete all the character and only keeping the "ik bones", then in the same window you export the daz character and "add that ik bones" to the daz skeleton, you can find in youtube some good tutorials teaching how to attach the "unreal ik bones to others skeletons like daz (as long they are humanoid and follow a skeleton base similar to unreal)

2 - virtual bones - unreal have a option to "generate virtual bones, i really don't know how it proper work you must find some tutorial in the net for this, but you can generate some virtual bones to add things like socket and if i'm not wrong to also add the "ik" function" which allow the "proper collision" and make the animation "proper adapt" to situations like that, i'm really not too sure about that second one but for what i hear it's possible just look around youtube or google for it.

but the most basic way without any doubt is just edit the animation, but in case you want "others ways to work on it" that can be options too.

• The standard poly exports were losing a lot of details on the Archdemon character.

How'd you get it into UE4 from DAZ with HD when you can't export anything from DAZ with SubDs?

• How'd you get it into UE4 from DAZ with HD when you can't export anything from DAZ with SubDs?

It is actually possible. I'm working out a few more details and ways to streamline the process. A lot of the set up is done in Blender first. I will hopefully have a video how I did it soon. Failing that at least a starter write up.

Ellessarr said:

wow very cool, a work around to improve it would be you use the "bake" trick, to make a normal map from the high poly model and inside unreal you set it to "slide" the normal map.

I'm planning on giving the "bake" trick a try but to add in the details over and above 1 sub-division
    Standard poly export is only @32,000 Tris, pretty low by today's standards.
    1 subdivision only jumps to @129,000 Tris and makes a big difference and still reasonable for most game engines. It does take some time to set up correctly in Blender though.
    2 Subdivisions jumps to @515,000 Tris but is not a huge jump in quality. This is still possible but takes quite a lot more work to set up in Blender and a lot more processing power. It probably makes sense to use the "bake" trick here instead of super high poly counts.

edited March 2020

How'd you get it into UE4 from DAZ with HD when you can't export anything from DAZ with SubDs?

It is actually possible. I'm working out a few more details and ways to streamline the process. A lot of the set up is done in Blender first. I will hopefully have a video how I did it soon. Failing that at least a starter write up.

Ellessarr said:

I'm planning on giving the "bake" trick a try but to add in the details over and above 1 sub-division
    Standard poly export is only @32,000 Tris, pretty low by today's standards.
    1 subdivision only jumps to @129,000 Tris and makes a big difference and still reasonable for most game engines. It does take some time to set up correctly in Blender though.
    2 Subdivisions jumps to @515,000 Tris but is not a huge jump in quality. This is still possible but takes quite a lot more work to set up in Blender and a lot more processing power. It probably makes sense to use the "bake" trick here instead of super high poly counts.

if i'm not wrong base low poly is 16k

sub 1 is 64k

sub 2 is 259k

sub 3 1037k (for male)

females have a little more polygons like around 100 to 200 more or something like that, not couting the "eyelashes"

another note is important to take is we are talking about "the base naked and bald and eyelashes less character, when you start to add "extras" it can go high pretty fast like the demon you are trying to work, is possible when start to add things like "horns" wings, tails or any extra to make then go high pretty fast and easy pass the 100 to 200k making the character start to look high poly, then is important to take that in account when "counting only the base character poly count and is more important to look to the poly count of the "final" character(after aply all the "extras" to know what is "too much or too low.

but i would really love to see that tutorial about how to export characters above the level 0 (base low poly) and be able to export then in sub 1 or more. for "naked characters, that would be very helpfull.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • Ellessarr said:

if i'm not wrong base low poly is 16k

sub 1 is 64k

sub 2 is 259k

sub 3 1037k (for male)

females have a little more polygons like around 100 to 200 more or something like that, not couting the "eyelashes"

Haha. You are totally right! I forgot in each of the projects I had one character hidden away. Blender was showing me the total for the scene.

Ellessarr said:
    another note is important to take is we are talking about "the base naked and bald and eyelashes less character, when you start to add "extras" it can go high pretty fast like the demon you are trying to work, is possible when start to add things like "horns" wings, tails or any extra to make then go high pretty fast and easy pass the 100 to 200k making the character start to look high poly, then is important to take that in account when "counting only the base character poly count and is more important to look to the poly count of the "final" character(after aply all the "extras" to know what is "too much or too low.

Oh absolutely. Like everything.  Calculating the cost has to include all the little extras too. Ideally when working with higher poly objects as you add more extras you are also taking away segments underneath those pieces.