lowering poly count (need to check on something)

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Can I lower the poly count of Daz's models without making them look odd?

The base model of Genesis is 18-19k, Genesis 2 is in the 21-22k area...and I"m not even goign to try with V4 & M4 they're in the 66-67k ploy count area (way too high of a poly count)

While Genesis & Genesis 2 has a lower poly count then the Gen4 models, I'm just wondering if anyone lowered the count without making the models looking odd

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited February 2014

The Gen4 models have LOD. When you load one up, go to the 2nd tab in the power loader and it should let you choose a lower poly count version. There are 1k, 2k, 4k, and 17k versions.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

....unless I don't know where it is, but I can't find the Power Loader thing

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited February 2014

If you isntalled the scripts PowerLoader should give you a dialogue box when you load a new copy of Victoria 4 or Michael4 from the library. TriAx figures like Genesis don't support Level of Detail meshes.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

ok...it's in the scripts

and it doesn't seem to work...because it's staying in the 66k area

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Once the LoD meshes are loaded you have to set the one to use, or set them to apply automatically based on distance from the camera, in the Parameters pane.

edited February 2014

-removed-

edited December 1969

...it's a bunch of words I do not understand

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,562
    edited December 1969

LOD means level of detail, a term used quite a bit with game models (which these are not) to save on performance. Full detailed mesh close up, lower detailed mesh further away. V4 has different LOD meshes at less than full detail.

edited December 1969

I know what LOD means

but I don't know how it works in Daz, I can't be exporting a 66k model out...that's too damn high of a poly count to use in games

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,562
    edited December 1969

I know what LOD means

but I don't know how it works in Daz, I can't be exporting a 66k model out...that's too damn high of a poly count to use in games

Hence the line about not being made for games.

I thought there were some tools with the game development license that helped with this.

edited December 1969

I should have to buy an extra $100 daz plug-in to simply lower the poly count...it would be worthless, seeing that Genesis can be lowered down to a base poly count of 18-19 thousand, with Genesis 2 only a few thousand higher

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

I should have to buy an extra $100 daz plug-in to simply lower the poly count...it would be worthless, seeing that Genesis can be lowered down to a base poly count of 18-19 thousand, with Genesis 2 only a few thousand higher

You have to buy a game license to use Daz Original items as anything other than 2D sprites anyway. Budgeting $600 instead of $500 isn't a huge step if you need the tool.
    http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license

edited December 1969

Well, no shit, I know that

you STILL CAN NOT USE a 66 thousand poly count model for any sort of game

edited December 1969

People reply and seem to miss my point

I need to lower poly count, people keep talking about it...seriously, YOU CAN NOT use a 66 thousand count model

Then I say, it's a bunch of words I don't understand

It was said the LOD can be lowered in Daz...I don't see how to do that

Seems...I'm not even going to bother, since people will just keep bring up things that don't even matter

edited February 2014

Ok, let's start at the beginning.

1. Load V4 to get the powerloader (delete V4 and hold ctrl while loading a new V4 if the loader doesn't pop up).
    2. Go to the Advanced tab at the top of the loader and choose the Mesh tab within. Place a checkmark inside each LOD you want to load.
    3. Once V4 is loaded, select V4 in the scene and go to Parameters. Find the drop down for Resolution. The LOD options will be in there.

By the way, you should really consider not swearing at people around here if you want anyone to continue to help you.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Vaskania- do you have any suggestions for what LOD should be used at certain distances? This is the first I've heard of this, so I am completely DUH. If Victoria is in the background, say, enough that DOF will be blurring her, what level would you select? And thanks for the assistance.

edited December 1969

You might be able to get away actually with using 1K. You can load all the resolutions at the same time. Just load them up and switch between them in the parameters to compare.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

It isn't just a matter of poly counts.

How close to the camera do you need the low poly figure?

What's your texture size and do you have normal maps?

Without know more information anything anyone can tell you is pure guess work.