February, 2014 Freebie Challenge - Steampunk

DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
edited February 2014 in Freebies

Welcome to the Februrary “SteamPunk” freebie challenge. For this challenge, you must create a Steampunk scene. It can be a portrait of a lovely lady, it can be a street scene, or it can be an image of a new invention for the Steampunk world. Polar bears and Golden Compasses are optional.

The rules are posted here:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286/
The morphs++ packages for the base figures will be no counts this month. So if you are using Genesis then the Head and Body evolution morph packs can be listed as no counts. The same is true for the morph++ packs for the gen 4 figures or the morph pack for Dawn.

As BWSman says, "Please read them good....."

Now…Prizes.

The prizes are from DAZ3D & Jaderail:
1st Place - $15 GC from DAZ3D and $20 GC from Jaderail
2nd Place - $12 GC from DAZ3D and $15 GC from Jaderail
3rd Place $8 GC from DAZ3D and $10 GC from Jaderail
HMs - $5 GCs from yours truly: DollyGirl and now Jaderail as well.

Anyone wanting to donate prizes we will accept them most gladly. Just tell me who you want to give them too.

Important:

A note to our winners you must PM Jaderail that you have won and what place you are in and you must PM Music2u4u with your DAZ account e-mail address so that DAZ can credit your account.

My judges:
Chochole
Kismet2012

I want to welcome you all and I hope you enjoy this year's February contest. Banner is below

Post edited by DollyGirl on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

sounds like fun - going to enjoy this one :-)

edited December 1969

can we post renders just for fun ?

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    can we post renders just for fun ?

You betcha!
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Thank you Kendall

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Thank you Kendall

That was quick.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Thank you Kendall

That was quick.

Kendall
    I am a ninja. Be wary oh friend :)

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

not an entry - posted just for fun
    I created this last month for dreamslayer artworks steampunk challenge

|:| Carte de Visite |:|

carteDeVisite.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 491K
    edited December 1969

Cool Zawarkal. We need all the inspiration we can get.

edited December 1969

01 steam - just for fun

01_steam.jpg
    1420 x 694 - 503K
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    01 steam - just for fun

another nice inspiration. Love the dirigeables.

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

This is gonna be a cool month Dollygirl. Thanks for hosting it. I will be donating something as usual. Not sure what yet, but I will post it when I do. I would offer to be a judge, but I am not sure how much I can be up in here this month. Last month real life hit me up hard and I was not able to be in here much. I will let someone else go for judging this month. If no one else offers, then I will take the position. I will give it some time first.

:-)

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Cool Zawarkal. We need all the inspiration we can get.

You're very welcome
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    bigh said:
    01 steam - just for fun

another nice inspiration. Love the dirigeables.

thank you

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    This is gonna be a cool month Dollygirl. Thanks for hosting it. I will be donating something as usual. Not sure what yet, but I will post it when I do. I would offer to be a judge, but I am not sure how much I can be up in here this month. Last month real life hit me up hard and I was not able to be in here much. I will let someone else go for judging this month. If no one else offers, then I will take the position. I will give it some time first.

Well Sweetie you don't have to do anything but hang if you want to. Us girls have it covered.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Well Sweetie you don't have to do anything but hang if you want to. Us girls have it covered.

Uh oh...now I'm startin' t' git scared...When da wimmins starts t' runnin' da show us mens betta circle da wagons...jus' like in da John Wayne movies. C'mon, Music! Youse 'n' me kin hide in da same hole!

(On a serious note, Louie aside, this might be a really interesting challenge. I've never been too terribly interested in the whole "Steampunk" thing so it's going to have to make me re-think my whole approach for the month. After all, this is supposed to be a challenge! Great idea!)

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Uh oh...now I'm startin' t' git scared...When da wimmins starts t' runnin' da show us mens betta circle da wagons...jus' like in da John Wayne movies. C'mon, Music! Youse 'n' me kin hide in da same hole!

(On a serious note, Louie aside, this might be a really interesting challenge. I've never been too terribly interested in the whole "Steampunk" thing so it's going to have to make me re-think my whole approach for the month. After all, this is supposed to be a challenge! Great idea!)
    I was thinking just how would Louie approach this subject. Always fun to see what he comes up with.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    I was thinking just how would Louie approach this subject. Always fun to see what he comes up with.

Hey now, don't choo' worry 'bout dat! Me 'n' my best bud Big Eddie Mac gots a li'l sumpthin' up our sleeves on dis one. In fact, we're woikin' on it right now...well, we're woikin' on a case or two of beer jus' ta gets our motivations up an runnin'.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Hey now, don't choo' worry 'bout dat! Me 'n' my best bud Big Eddie Mac gots a li'l sumpthin' up our sleeves on dis one. In fact, we're woikin' on it right now...well, we're woikin' on a case or two of beer jus' ta gets our motivations up an runnin'.
    :lol:
    LOL

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Oooh! I love steampunk! Will be hard for me to do this month's theme without postwork -- SP always makes me want to add aged effects. Hmmm... *puts thinking hat on...*

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Oooh! I love steampunk! Will be hard for me to do this month's theme without postwork -- SP always makes me want to add aged effects. Hmmm... *puts thinking hat on...*

Age the textures before you render... as long as you can (and do) make the aged textures available legally, that should work. I think.
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Age the textures before you render... as long as you can (and do) make the aged textures available legally, that should work. I think.

Use the LIE in studio to add age via noise maps. There is no need to modify the original texture.

Kendall

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Use the LIE in studio to add age via noise maps. There is no need to modify the original texture.

KendallI keep forgetting that everybody has that now...

edited December 1969

Here is another way to get some age.
    Planes with smoke and scratch marks on them
    I took this freebie
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/28949/browse/11/Poser/20-Smoke-Transquares
    and I set the plane up in front of my camera. I changed the diffuse color to brown. Then I went into the LIE window and added the attached transmap to the existing transmap. I did an add blend option. I created two more planes in front of the camera and added the diffuse map below and the attached transmap to each.
    I used FilterForge to create the jpg that has the scratches. From that image I created the black and white transmap. Below are pictures of with and without the planes being visible. A quick and dirty take on the idea. I would work on the diffuse image some more to put the scratches more where I want them. Once I had what I wanted I would then create the trans map.

Renderwithplaneson.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 460K
    Renderwithplanesoff.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 496K
    PlaneTransmap.jpg
    1250 x 1250 - 493K
    Planediffuseandbasefortransmap.jpg
    1250 x 1250 - 490K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Hmmm...wagons in a circle...we get better reception that way don't we? I got the beer and peanuts!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

>NAE<</strong>

"Did somebody say Steampunk? Oh my!"

Kit_Bash_Hi-02.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    >NAE<</strong>

"Did somebody say Steampunk? Oh my!"

laughing hard

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,949
    edited December 1969

Awesome, and yeah it got me ineterested too. Very good choice for challenge :D

edited December 1969

I am pleased that you are finding this challenge of interest., so I hope you enter something. Looking forward to seeing just what gets created.

A lovely render Jade. Thank you for your support. Okay people lets rumble I want to hear some steam!

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,949
    edited December 1969

Sure, i might have something soon :lol: though i will need to sort links before i post it.