Problems with older products (installer doesn`t work)

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello, I have bought two older products (I think) and the problem is, the installer doesn`t work. I can double click on the downloaded exe and than I am asked if I want to do it and that was it. nothing else happens.

the products are:

StoneWare, Organic 1.0: SquareStone

and

A Bull's Life

Comments

• MABMAB Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

I'd contact DAZ directly. They used to have a customer support link under Help/Contact Us. If that isn't working, you can just call them during their business hours, but they prefer you go through the online support channels first. Those at DAZ who can help you with this don't usually frequent the forums. They are very good about making things right when you contact them, though, in my experience.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

ah thank you,

never had a problem with installing stuff so I didn`t know what to do.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Until the Support system is working again, this post gives email addresses if you aren't able to call DAZ 3D: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/115/

The problem with old installers being DOA is known and is being worked on.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

This is also a problem with new installers. It has taken me multiple attempts to run the installers for GIS Skyway Expansion, R and R Time, Ultralight, Soothsayer for Fortune Teller 1930, and I believe the only older installer of the group ... The Attic Expansion.

It has taken me a dozen or more attempts to get some of these installers to actually run once I click Run.

• Nova_805327Nova_805327 Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Some of the items a recently bought or reset, the .exe files are not actually executing. I tried to put in a help ticket but every time I try I get a 404 error for the page. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Wildwoodcode.png
    656 x 948 - 91K
    edited December 1969

There is a known issue with older installers not working -- it is being worked on.

Until Zendesk is working again, see this post for contacting support: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/115/

edited December 1969

It's also a problem with the newer installers. Some took 10 minutes or more to run once I click Run, others just ... never ran.

edited December 1969

This is also a problem with new installers. It has taken me multiple attempts to run the installers for GIS Skyway Expansion, R and R Time, Ultralight, Soothsayer for Fortune Teller 1930, and I believe the only older installer of the group ... The Attic Expansion.

It has taken me a dozen or more attempts to get some of these installers to actually run once I click Run.

Please contact support -- Ultralight and R and R Time were fine for me.

edited December 1969

Sure, they finally installed. But it took me at least an hour to install GIS Skyway Expansion, R and R Time, Ultralight, and Soothsayer for Fortune Teller 1930. All of these are new products, so it's not just a problem with the older products as is being stated.

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I had similar problems with some installers and find out that (after launching the new site) the downloaded files have some additional bytes at the end (see attached screenshot).
    After deleting these additional bytes the setup runs again as expected.
    (To do this you only need a hex editor)

With kind regards,
    Ruediger Kabbasch

setup_download_problem.png
    644 x 847 - 88K
  • LundqvistLundqvist Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Thanks for posting that. :) It worked for me and I doubt it would have occurred to me to check the executable itself otherwise.

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

I'll second that thanks! It worked beautifully for me as well. :-)

edited December 1969

ruekaka said:
    Hi,

I had similar problems with some installers and find out that (after launching the new site) the downloaded files have some additional bytes at the end (see attached screenshot).
    After deleting these additional bytes the setup runs again as expected.
    (To do this you only need a hex editor)

With kind regards,
    Ruediger Kabbasch

MANY THANKS for posting that

it works GREAT, thanks again for that helpfull posting :)

• ObscuroArcanumObscuroArcanum Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I'm having this issue with the RoboSpider.
    I double-click the .exe file to install it, and it won't run. I right-click on it to Run as Administrator and it won't run.

I even thought it could have been an issue with the .exe file corrupting somehow when I downloaded it, so redownloaded it just now and it still doesn't work.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,194
    edited December 1969

Anything with the old DAZ logo (the Z in a circle) as its icon is not working, as far as we know. It is possible to fix them with a hex editor, by deleting the spurious bit at the end (it's pretty obvious as it's an error message) but we hesitate to suggest that as hex editors aren't casual user toys.

• ObscuroArcanumObscuroArcanum Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I don't know what a "hex editor" is, so I wouldn't even begin to play around with it.
    These older items, will they be fixed at some point? I massive undertaking, I understand as there would be thousands of items that would need fixing, but is that the only way that these .exe files will work; be patient until the .exe is updated?

• StudiohelgelandStudiohelgeland Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I cant install them on my computer(win7), is it possible to get the files sent in folders(and not the installer file?)
    I have tried to install in other modes to, but it doesnt help.

( I should have asked in the help section, but nothing there seem to work :P )

edited December 1969

There is a problem with older installers not downloading properly -- if you are comfortable editing binary files, a fix was posted involving removing spurious characters at the end of the file.

• edited December 1969

I assume the problem with the old installers is a web server configuration issue. The actual installers haven't changed from the way they were when they worked, they just have an error message appended to them. They just have to fix the script that serves the file.

The newer installers not running well on some people's systems might be a permissions thing, I don't know. The proposed zip file system will fix that.

edited December 1969

I dont know how to edit binary files, but could try.. Where is that fix?

Shouldnt it be a warning on the old files that dont work properly? I dont want to buy things that dont work :P
    Is there any possibility to get these files in folders? Seems like a good solution for me, offer old product without the installer to aviod these problems.

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/217/#2521

I know DAZ is switching to Zips for all products, but I don't know when that will take effect. Since Monday is a holiday in the US, I'm not sure what will get fixed before Tuesday.

• edited December 1969

I just wanted to add my thanks as well for that great and simple tip, Ruekaka. :-)

I used HxD Hex Editor from CNET's Download.com and followed your screenshots to remove the extra bytes at the end of my two installers. Great job!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

If your installer doesn't work, you can always try downloading it a second time. While it doesn't happen to me offen, occasionally a file gets corrupted during download for whatever reason, and redownloading it often fixes the problem.

edited December 1969

I dont know how to edit binary files, but could try.. Where is that fix?

Shouldnt it be a warning on the old files that dont work properly? I dont want to buy things that dont work :P
    Is there any possibility to get these files in folders? Seems like a good solution for me, offer old product without the installer to aviod these problems.

I am no expert in things like that but I have done it like it is posted some posts above :) and it worked quite well and was easy.

if you have an hex editor (there are some free products out there) start the hex editor and open the file (the installer) than the hex code appears on the left and on the right another list, scroll down until you are at the line you read "fatal error" mark the text on the right side like it is posted above and than delte it :) save the edited version as "save as"... or just "save"

go to your folder were you have the edited installer and start it and it should work.

edited December 1969

If your installer doesn't work, you can always try downloading it a second time. While it doesn't happen to me offen, occasionally a file gets corrupted during download for whatever reason, and redownloading it often fixes the problem.

well related to the old installers you can download them much as you can, the installer will not work it is a known problem and as daz said, has something to do with the new site.

all you can do is to use a hex editor as it is written in the post at page 1 of this thread.

edited May 2012

Greate :) :) :) It was an easy job when I followed the instructions and used the program that is linked to here :)
    My files work now. Tnx alot for the help :)

Post edited by Studiohelgeland on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited May 2012

I have written a small utility to make these installers work again by stripping off the bad appendage. Is any interested in it?

Kendall

Screenshot-17.png
    294 x 178 - 7K
    Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • Nova_805327Nova_805327 Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

I opened up the Wildwood flirts in a hex editor and screenshot-ed the last bit of the code, what do I need to delete to make this .exe work

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,194
    edited December 1969

Sapphire587, I've merged your thread with another on the issue - if you scroll up theer are instructions, and Kendall has a fix utility.

• edited December 1969

Hi,

I'm new to this community.

I have installed DazStudio4 onto my other hhd due to my main drive almost full. I own a PC, Vista 64bit machine.

I brought SFSC_Construction set and when i downloaded it and ran the Exe it seemed to load something and then nothing, no setup window or anything.

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks for your help

Darian