ALS cross-eye stereo testing

David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

For those that don't have the red/cyan glasses or have impaired colour perception, here the ALS has been converted to display two images side by side. Left image is displayed on the right and right on the left. To perceive as a 3D image you need to focus your eyes somewhere between your nose and the screen until the two images converge to form a third image in the middle. I find this going cross-eyed very uncomfortable (even if sitting a long way from the screen) and much prefer the colour separation method. However, since someone asked if it was possible, I thought I'd make it possible. Here we are, once again in one render with no postwork. All the work being done by lenses and mirrors bolted (parented) onto the front of the perspective camera. Again, this is experimental, so feedback is welcome.

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Another test.

B7_1_0_109_p33_s7_v2_promo1_anaglyph2_crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 573K
    edited December 1969

And,

Injoke_anaglyph2+crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 124K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

I remember having published some photographs working this way. I have to recover that because there is a ratio of size and distance (must be on an old web project, most probably have a backup). I was rather good in bringing them together. These are too large for me, I can't manage.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I remember having published some photographs working this way. I have to recover that because there is a ratio of size and distance (must be on an old web project, most probably have a backup). I was rather good in bringing them together. These are too large for me, I can't manage.

I struggle too... have to sit a long way back and then wag my finger in front of the monitor near the end of my nose.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

These are all fantastic , David. The spark plugs look great and very anti-gravity. The head of the dragon protrudes nicely. The sphere with the bubble iridescent texture looks fantastic. The effect is very nice in each of them.

I find that the images dont do so well on this white background. I find it easier to perceive them when I press the View Image and see it on a grey background.

edited December 1969

Thanks indeed for the feedback Rashad! They don't really work for me and it seems Horo also struggles, I manufactured these on the basis of the theory. Possibly our age is against us? Thanks also for the tip on the backdrop.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

I find it very easy on my 7" android screen
    bigger is harder as I know from experience, watching a video even more straining, hence the nVidia 3D vision glasses in the mail I hope (paid for)
    just hope I can put images made by me and maybe yours for personal use, into that format, have stvmkr that does it for video.

edited December 1969

Thank you Wendy. Oh yes, should be able to animate with this also... not that I am wonder at animation... but I will try to conceive of a test. It will not be this scene though...

Splash_anaglypherized2+crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 223K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Super fantastic, David. How were your render times for the splash? I remember the original years ago took ages upon ages, wonder how it compares now with Bryce 7 and a much more powerful system?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Just made my eyes go funny trying to make these work, but then I do have a lazy eye, which could account for it.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Sparkplugs, glass ball one and the drop very easy to view, however, the dragon one is very hard to adjust to, but when it ‘comes in’, the 3D effect is great (‘coming out’ is a killer on the eyes, though). With this cross-eyed technique, one can also block out the side images, too; simply by putting a hand on either side of the central 3D view (hands not actually on the screen, but midway between eye and screen).

The best thing about the cross-eyed (and parallel-eye technique) is that the natural colours are preserved, as opposed to the red/cyan views where some are lost.

Jay

edited December 1969

I've tried with parallel viewing, that's why I thought the pictures are too large. Parallel viewing comes very easy to me but images must not be more than 2.5 to 3 inches (6 to 7 cm) apart (inter-eye distance). I couldn't get the sparks and the dragon in cross-eye view, but the other two came in quite nicely. Cross-eye viewing allows for larger pictures, the perceived 3D picture between the screen and the eyes is very small, though incredibly sharp. Parallel viewing has the objects behind the screen plane.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've always found looking at this type of 3D image to be really easy... but one of my party pieces is that I can make my eyes go cross eyed one at a time or putting one into the cross eyed position while the other one rolls around in it's socket. :)

But coming from you David, I'd love to see one of your volumetric cloudscapes dramatically displayed in this way. :)

edited December 1969

Thank you, well yes the original splash image rendered on my old old computer did take a while (500 hours) on this scale, with my i7 less than half an hour. Oh here are some clouds...

Free_content_cloud_over_big_sur_1_3d3+crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 310K
    edited December 1969

Might send you cross-eyed or mildly insane viewing this.

Cubetrick12+crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 335K
    edited December 1969

Plodding on...

Inside_the_accelerator_anaglypherized3+crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 442K
    edited December 1969

ok I know it is 1:30am in the morning for me
    but
    sitting in bed crosseyed turning my Android to try to see around those poddish things along the pipe in the tunnel is pretty silly even for me!!!

edited December 1969

Would you feel happier wearing a pair of red cyan goggles?

edited December 1969

well I can see the paired images in perfect focus on my Android with my reading glasses on!
    if I wear cardboard celophane ones I need a big monitor!!

edited December 1969

Well, as long as they work for some people. They are nearly useless to me, I am producing them on faith alone.

08-01_C_3D_setup_LR_in_camera_dots_24_v4+crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 263K
    edited December 1969

And with cake...

B7_0_1_34__p4_s2_v1_anaglypherized2+crossover1.jpg
    750 x 375 - 281K
    edited December 1969

I actually have a downloaded app that lets me take a series of photos and produces sequenced red/cyan anaglyphs where you CAN turn the Android tablet around to look almost behind objects!!
    will not let me save photos though in the free version.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

I love these images! :-) I find these MUCH better than red/cyan, especially for color images. There are always color aberrations when using red/cyan on color images. But I was one of those kids who ran around grossing people out by crossing my eyes. :lol: There does need to be something in the image that is easy to fixate on to align the images using the eye muscles. The first render of the dragon was more difficult than the rest. Once I have aligned the images, I can even move my eyes around in the image to see different parts.

I wonder if one of those old stereoscope viewers from before the days of the Vue Master could be adapted to stereoscopic viewing on a computer screen. Modern computer technologists would think it a giant leap backwards, but it might be useful in this context.

edited December 1969

Thank you Slimer... er... Mr Spud? J? Anyway, thank you.

Well, ironically, I can't view these crossover images, so it makes it hard for me to asses. Attempts to view these results in a profound headache for me. The colour separation works very well even on cheap glasses with almost no ghosting, so maybe it's differences in the hardware/wetware that matter. All being well, we will supply this as well as the colour separation type. And since yesterday, I've also sent along a version that works with the Stereoscope.

As it happens Horo sent me over a little stereoscope device a few years ago. The drawback with my large flat screen monitors is that the image has to be 800x400 - providing two 400x400 pixel images. At the viewing distance of the stereoscope the pixels are clearly visible even on the highest resolution of my monitor. What is needed is a HD monitor only a few inches across - like a iphone screen... That would have the advantage of a small enough image and a high density of pixels per inch.

edited December 1969

@Slimer_J_Spud - anaglyphs are the cheapest way for 3D, they are easy to get a 3D effect but have the disadvantage of colour, and if viewed without goggles look mostly not very appealing.

Cross-viewed 3D images can be beheld even without any tricks, though without 3D effect. I'm not good at cross-eying and I agree that an object that is easy to fix is of great help. Once I get it, I can also move without losing it, but I get a hefty head-ache quite soon.

Parallel viewed 3D images come very easy to me. I just defocus until the pictures merge, then focus on the 3D result. No problem of losing it, Problem is, since they must not be wider than the eye distance, they are small. There are/were cheap viewers around for prints with an optic that helped looking parallel and magnified the picture a bit. I have over 50 renders I made for parallel 3D (2 renders with the camera a bit moved), put them side by side in a new picture and had prints made of them,

3D viewing has been around since photography started, 1880 or so. They were fashionable at some time, disappeared, reappeared, etc. I think composing 3D scenes in Bryce and then view them also in 3D is fascinating.

edited July 2012

yep, it is called a 7" Samsung Galaxy Android tab!!
    like I said, clear as can be on my Andriod!!
    I have a 3D map viewer somewhere along with a hard bound book full of stereo paired images (some naughty) in my abbys of a spare room.
    I viewed those mostly crosseyed,
    got into it after studying geography at uni before dropping out and becoming a factory shitkicker.
    did a lot of stereoscopic photos of my own too!
    hence the purchase this week of nVidia 3D vision glasses I am eagerly awaiting the postie to deliver!
    3D visuals have always has fascinated me prob because I am deaf in one ear so stereo sound can be confusing, I do hear in stereo by turning my head but cannot place direction, often a huge issue if I hear something outside and fear an intruder.
    found my book and viewer! only $3 for the book! bargain!!! forum will not let me upload image

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on