Hotkey to hide Panels?

LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801
edited February 2020 in New Users

Hi,

is there a way to set TAB as hotkey, to hide the panels and show them, that works great in Gimp and helps me, if I just need the working area and dont have to switch tools etc.

Would love to do that too, open/close the panels always is a bit annoying.

And can I do that only for left+right, because the bottom panel do I not need always, just rare.

@Richard I recommend you showcase the script also to the Freebie Forum, so users will find it and enjoy it ^_^

I'm sure when people see it they will love it ;) after I learned that I can press TAB in Gimp I was pretty excited and use it much times.

And I see in Speedpainting videos that Photoshop users aldo use that, to see how the image looks in total.

Post edited by Loony on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited February 2020

If one clicks on either the tiny arrow or on the header for an already open pane, the mass will slide over.

For panes seldom used one can close them.

Close Pane.png
    1168 x 426 - 36K
    tiny arrows.png
    1004 x 341 - 34K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801
    edited February 2020

yeah I know how to do THAT :D but I wanna close/open them via pressing TAB.

Here, this is how it works in Gimp, by pressing TAB:

(5sec video)

Post edited by Loony on
  • Glad you know how to do THAT. If there was no hotkey for what you want on that list of hotkeys I found for you before, then I'm not aware of one.

don't know how that video could help me :/

I know where Hotkeys are, but there is no Search option and I also don't know IF there is a hotkey possible to do what i do in Gimp.

Thats why I asked here, if there is an option to do it.

so I dont have to open/close them by clicking, I wanna quick close/open it.

What I know is if you press Shift+F11 you get a Fullscreen, but the problem with that is, that it always takes a moment by coming back. Also it does hide your tools.

• The options exist in DzPaneMgr http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/object_index/panemgr_dz to fnd and then show a pane; for each pane a script could be written, turned into a custom action, an assigned a hot key.

Uh, I can not write scripts :(

• That said, Window>Workspace>Customise, scroll down to the Panes group on the left, right-click a pane and you can assign a shortcut.

That said, Window>Workspace>Customise, scroll down to the Panes group on the left, right-click a pane and you can assign a shortcut.

But that does just open one. I can not say open Render settings left and close it with TAB and the same with something on the right side, like Scene Settings.

I tested it now with CTRL+Tab = open scene. if I do that it will remove the scenes panel and if I click it again it will load the scenes panel as a new popup... undocked.

So this is not a solution.

• Ah, I see - you want to clear the workspace. Try shift-F11 (Window>Full Screen Mode).

Yeah that is the only solution so far I know, but when you go back, it always have to load the viewport new, that is kinda annoying... also I don't wanna hide ALL, only left+right panel. I still wanna see my toolbar at the top.

• Switching between saved layouts would be an option, but not a particularly quick one.

yeah it would have a delay too, like if you hit apply in the Hotkey edits, it does always kinda flash the UI, so I guess it would reload the viewport too :/

Its a bit sad, that daz doesnt have this simple function included :<

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited February 2020

How you can find the Hotkeys menu in daz studio by~

Step 1 open daz studio

step 2 along the top of studio go to "Edit"

step3 scroll down to "View" . This is your hot key short cut menu

If you want too customize your work space panes do the following ~

Step 1 open Daz studio and go to windows on top/

step 2  scroll down to until you see "workspace" and click it

step 3  scroll down that menu to customize and the customize options panel will pop up.

step 4 on the left side of the panel scroll down until you see "panes."

step 5 choose pane you want to assign a hotkey for,  you assign the hotkey at the bottom of the customize option panel see screen capture

step 6 when you happy with your customized hotkeys click accept and your done

pretty easy..  I hope that helps

Capture.JPG
    1356 x 898 - 133K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited February 2020

In watching the movie at 4:07, that is what the F3 brings up. So there are a couple of ways to get to that feature.

However 'tab' is not being recognized as something for a shortcut so I think you will have to make do with clicking on those tiny arrows to hide from sight the panels at the left and right.

? Whether or not it is of interest but you could put all the panes to one side - either right or left.

In watching the movie at 4:07, that is what the F3 brings up. So there are a couple of ways to get to that feature.

However 'tab' is not being recognized as something for a shortcut so I think you will have to make do with clicking on those tiny arrows to hide from sight the panels at the left and right.

? Whether or not it is of interest but you could put all the panes to one side - either right or left.

All on one side is annoying, no way.

I want the options to have 2 menues aviable at the same time.

Ivy said:

How you can find the Hotkeys menu in daz studio by~

Step 1 open daz studio

step 2 along the top of studio go to "Edit"

step3 scroll down to "View" . This is your hot key short cut menu

If you want too customize your work space panes do the following ~

Step 1 open Daz studio and go to windows on top/

step 2  scroll down to until you see "workspace" and click it

step 3  scroll down that menu to customize and the customize options panel will pop up.

step 4 on the left side of the panel scroll down until you see "panes."

step 5 choose pane you want to assign a hotkey for,  you assign the hotkey at the bottom of the customize option panel see screen capture

step 6 when you happy with your customized hotkeys click accept and your done

pretty easy..  I hope that helps

Okay....

I don't get why you first try too to tell me where the hotkeys are O_O... I NEVER asked WHERE they are :/ (do i write so bad to get missunderstand?)

Your step 5 is complete wrong...

Also I DID try that and did say this will not work.

MrDarck said:

That said, Window>Workspace>Customise, scroll down to the Panes group on the left, right-click a pane and you can assign a shortcut.

But that does just open one. I can not say open Render settings left and close it with TAB and the same with something on the right side, like Scene Settings.

I tested it now with CTRL+Tab = open scene. if I do that it will remove the scenes panel and if I click it again it will load the scenes panel as a new popup... undocked.

So this is not a solution.

↑ See there.

Also Your hotkey setting method in Step 6 is wrong, you pointing on the View Control at the bottom, that is not where you set a new Hotkey, there you remove your Mouse control for the viewport, for rotating the view/camera.

You have to rightclick there:

and IF you add a hotkey to one Pane, then it will REMOVE the pane if you press the button, if you press it again, it will open it as new window.

I show it you:

@Catherine here you see you can combine TAB with CTRL atleast :<

Lets go:

BEFORE pressing CTRL+Tab (next i just say tab):

AFTER pressing TAB: Scenes is gone!

And now after pressing tab AGAIN: its a Popup new window....

As I did wrote it in text form on Richards try.

So please dont tell me HOW to set a hotkey, IF you know a way to close/open a complete (better both) panels, well share it with me.

I AM happy if someone can/will help me, but its a bit annoying that people write again and again the same stuff, which I not asked and which I did already reply as not working :(....

edited February 2020

H MrDarck

I am sorry this did not work for you, I can understand your frustration , but the workspace panel is indeed where you customize your panes and set short cut keys,( not all panes can be assinged shortcutkeys some are stictic & customization of panes is limited) .I think what your seeking can not be done with daz as of yet unless, if you want a tab closed you click "close pane" found in the upper right hand conner of the pane tab..  back in the old daz 2 & 3 days you could never customize your daz pane tabs & had limited use with short-cut keys, the workspace panel in daz 4.12 is where you make these changes by clicking each one of the panes you want to customize or assign a short cut key for. not all of the pane can be customized like the tools pane for example,so limiting as they are, I was just trying to help i am sorry if i frustrated you with those technicalities. 

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Short cuts for actions are set by right-clicking on them, choosing the change command, and hitting the new combo. The area at the bottom is for setting the Viewport modifiers (for changing the view and for tool actions).

Short cuts for actions are set by right-clicking on them, choosing the change command, and hitting the new combo. The area at the bottom is for setting the Viewport modifiers (for changing the view and for tool actions).

yepp... thats why I was confused why Ivy said I should change it there O_o...

edited February 2020

did you not ask how to make a hotkey to changing the view and for tool pane action for opening and closing in viewport ? maybe i did understand you wrong

Post edited by Ivy on

I asked how you can close the panels with 1 click yes, but your way of changing the hotkey was 100% wrong ;) the button at the bottom does NOT change the hotkey, you have to rightclick it.

AND the panels you did marked does also NOT work, I posted screenshots, what happen if you add there hotkeys.

edited February 2020

yes you are quiet right . I stand corrected . please right click the pane of choice you want to assign the shortcutkey to. my apologies for the confusion.

Capture.JPG
    1648 x 1032 - 140K
    Post edited by Ivy on

But IF you do that, the hotkey will destroy your UI... see my screenshots:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5344606/#Comment_5344606

it will undoch the panels and open them then in a popup <_<

edited February 2020

Well we have all been telling you with varying degrees of success what can be done in D/S. It is not exactly what you are desiring, I understand that but what you are desiring appears to be not possible - save for sometime in the future when perhaps either you or somebody else makes a script for it.

So for now "Hotkey to hide Panels" = nope.

edited February 2020

yeah sad, its a nope ;(....

so the best way is atm. shift+F11 if I stay on 1 tool.

Everytime I change the tool, I will have to reload the UI.

Post edited by Loony on

yes you are right again, but never the less thats how you set your values for hotkeys how it fucntions i have no work around for .  it has been my experience that daz does not have the same type ability to customize the ui as zbrush or autodesk where you can actually assign hotkeys or commands to the UI that is the best suited your needs. But daz has come along ways from what you could do with customizing the UI layout, and being able to drag and drop the panes tabs in locations thats fit your work flow..   Everything i told you was correct accept for mistaking pointing you in the wrong direction to the view port customization for short cut keys  which i am sorry i gave you that misinformation, but have corrected.  I have always just used the default short cut keys you can find the list for the available default short cut keys under edit>view which displays short cut keys, it might not do what you want to do though, but that is how you customize your work space under the workspace option.. how it functions is beyond my control.

One of the things i like about zbrush is the ability to change the UI to suit your needs, which is good because using zbrush required you being able to know and use hotkeys to easily access the parts of the software UI . unfortunately the best I found you can do with daz to customize the UI and panes tabs is use the settings under the "Style & workspace options found under the windows tab. 

• There is (now) a sample script showing how to toggle the dock areas (the areas in which panes are docked). http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/dock_area_toggle/start

but how can I put a hotkey on a script?

• Sorry, looks as if I garbled my attempt to explain this earlier - find the script in a content pane, right-click on it, and select Create Custom Action. You can then find it in the Custom Actions group in Window>Workspace>Customise and ssign/modify its shortcut as with any other action.

edited February 2020

Hay that script works beautifully, thanks Richard.

edited to add some pics and also a free icon for the script if anybody wants one of those too. {some browsers handle pics differently, be sure it's a .png file for the folder}

Download the Script.png
    553 x 192 - 13K
    Create Custom Action.png
    338 x 788 - 42K
    Script field gets lost now and then.png
    513 x 139 - 16K
    Dock_Area_Toggle.png
    91 x 91 - 22K