Unique Fabrics - Shaders and Merchant Resource [Commercial]

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@L'Adair, I was on my phone when I saw your jewerly shader pictures and even on the small screen, WOW! 

And you put an idea in my head, but I had to get home to open DAZ Studio. My thought had been flowers, but when I opened up Props\Landscapes\Plants I ran into trees, green trees. And I remembered so many posts where folks wished there was a way to color leaves to look like a tree was gradually turning from summer to fall, or the complaint that no tree has perfect green leaves. I loaded Whitemagus's Maple Trees, 12m and found it had two sets of leaves. 

Leaves-Dark1: Art Flower 2, Art Flower Mask 1,  Art Flower Mask 2.

Leaves-Dark3: Art Pattern 6, Art Pattern Mask 1, Art Pattern Mask 3.

So I have a tree, and a closeup of the leaves where you can see the pattern.

Mary

The distance image looks great. 

This is what I love about art.  People come up with ways of using things I would never think of.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

Thanks @L'Adair and @Kismet2012

I think we feed off each other. Ideas spring from all kind of places. 

I should warn that the closeup was stopped at 50%, at an hour, with over 2000 iterations. The distance shot was about a half-hour. I had not used the maple tree in its natural state, so have no idea how much the textures added to the render time.

I still want to try flowers!

After this last render I will back off. I couldn't resist a flower. Esha's Holiday Cactus is wonderful and has a number of materials, but, oh, the varied surfaces to play with! I kept the flowers simple, but the pot I had fun with. I used ART Pattern 02 then Mask 01, and Mask 2, and Alt Normals 03. Added some desserts on a recent table prop, a plane with a brick shader, and the uninvited guest. 

Uninvited Guest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M

After this last render I will back off. I couldn't resist a flower. Esha's Holiday Cactus is wonderful and has a number of materials, but, oh, the varied surfaces to play with! I kept the flowers simple, but the pot I had fun with. I used ART Pattern 02 then Mask 01, and Mask 2, and Alt Normals 03. Added some desserts on a recent table prop, a plane with a brick shader, and the uninvited guest. 

Playing and fun is what it is about.  At least for me.

Yeah, but like YouTube, it can suck you in, and away from what you had planned for the day! What a way to go. Shaders are great fun.

• RainRain Posts: 335

You guys are killing me!  I bought this on January 19 but I won’t be able to use it until I get home at the end of February.  Aaaargh!

• @L'Adair, I was on my phone when I saw your jewerly shader pictures and even on the small screen, WOW! 

And you put an idea in my head, but I had to get home to open DAZ Studio. My thought had been flowers, but when I opened up Props\Landscapes\Plants I ran into trees, green trees. And I remembered so many posts where folks wished there was a way to color leaves to look like a tree was gradually turning from summer to fall, or the complaint that no tree has perfect green leaves. I loaded Whitemagus's Maple Trees, 12m and found it had two sets of leaves. 

Leaves-Dark1: Art Flower 2, Art Flower Mask 1,  Art Flower Mask 2.

Leaves-Dark3: Art Pattern 6, Art Pattern Mask 1, Art Pattern Mask 3.

So I have a tree, and a closeup of the leaves where you can see the pattern.

Mary

That is a super creative use (really creative idea to use them for color variation since from afar you cant actually "see" the pattern) Now obviously close up it would be an issue but since lots of times the trees are at a distance. As a thought to take this one step further, you could also take the patterns you used into your favorite app and blur them fairly heavy (and leave on the leaf normals) and then save that file as a new file like "MyLeaf1" so you dont overwrite the original tile etc and then I think it could actually work on closeup too. Really cool idea..I love it. 

Im starting to think you all are WAY more creative than me heartsmiley

• After this last render I will back off. I couldn't resist a flower. Esha's Holiday Cactus is wonderful and has a number of materials, but, oh, the varied surfaces to play with! I kept the flowers simple, but the pot I had fun with. I used ART Pattern 02 then Mask 01, and Mask 2, and Alt Normals 03. Added some desserts on a recent table prop, a plane with a brick shader, and the uninvited guest. 

That is really cool too. On the pot - to avoid a seam like that - you can either cheat and turn it LOL (Been there and done that using shaders ROFL) or you can actually hand adjust just the horizontal tile some till you sort of get the pattern to align for you. I thought I would bring it up since I know that is one thing with tiles..your at the mercy of the mapping of the item so sometimes you have to adapt the tiling to be "not quite square" if you need to get rid of a seam etc. 

All that said really love the way the flowers and leaves look with the patterns. It reminds me of like an art deco piece smiley

• ARTCollabARTCollab Posts: 101
    edited February 2020
    spuffy said:

You guys are killing me!  I bought this on January 19 but I won’t be able to use it until I get home at the end of February.  Aaaargh!

Well once you get a chance, I'll still be here so if you have any questions or want to share what you come up with I'll look forward to seeing it. That said I can relate, patience was not a virtue I was blessed with hehe laugh

Post edited by ARTCollab on

@ARTCollab, Thank you so much. I will try your suggestions. I think I saved the cactus scene.

While this may not have been one of your goals when you developed your shader set and training video, by working with them so much and seeing others' work, I have learned so much more about them and put that knowledge to use with other shader sets. So many things I had no clue about, now makes sense to me, or almost does.

That seam, one of the issues I am having is my sight and distance from my monitors, resolution in DAZ Studio, and often, I can't 'see' a fault until a very large render is completed after an hour of cooking. That foot tip in a floor, whisp of hair in a cheek, a pattern seam, and the most frequent one, layered clothing showing through after a simulation in the one spot where there is no morph dial to lift it. Sigh.

• These are beautiful shaders. Just got them and I'm already using them for the promos of our next product!

Okay, I tried, I really tried. But that seam, it won. I turned the pot around. But I also updated the action and the sky HDR. So, ... here is the uninvited guest moving in for the prize.

Mary

Uninvited Guest Moving for the Prize.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M

Okay, I tried, I really tried. But that seam, it won. I turned the pot around. But I also updated the action and the sky HDR. So, ... here is the uninvited guest moving in for the prize.

Mary

Someone's party is about to be ruined.

• @ARTCollab, Thank you so much. I will try your suggestions. I think I saved the cactus scene.

While this may not have been one of your goals when you developed your shader set and training video, by working with them so much and seeing others' work, I have learned so much more about them and put that knowledge to use with other shader sets. So many things I had no clue about, now makes sense to me, or almost does.

That seam, one of the issues I am having is my sight and distance from my monitors, resolution in DAZ Studio, and often, I can't 'see' a fault until a very large render is completed after an hour of cooking. That foot tip in a floor, whisp of hair in a cheek, a pattern seam, and the most frequent one, layered clothing showing through after a simulation in the one spot where there is no morph dial to lift it. Sigh.

Im working on Part Two (which will also have a video...and with new things I didnt cover in this one. There are actually a lot of ways you can use some of this stuff that is pretty creative and fun. Since the one for the first set (this set) goes over the basics and pretty much covers how to use both sets the new video will go over additiional tricks and tips, more creative uses, and also some new features I added into the new set smiley I am very happy you enjoyed the video and found it useful. I am no expert and even I learn new things all the time that you can do in DS so you are not alone there heart

As for the seam...What I would suggest is throwing on one of the presets for that pattern, using the perspective camera (so you dont lose your camera angles etc) and then going into "texture shaded mode" in the viewport. The movement is much nicer and smoother in that view to do alignment and then once its aligned then go back and do the setting you had. (At least that is generally what Ive been doing) If that sounds confusing, please let me know and I can do a video on it to show better what I mean smiley)

• These are beautiful shaders. Just got them and I'm already using them for the promos of our next product!

Can't wait to see how you used them and check out the new product smiley

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Cant say im completely happy with the image but I like how the textures go together!

IntheChairTM.jpg
    2000 x 1569 - 2M

@Daventaki that is extremelly nice. What is the outfit? I really like how it flows and how the different textures complemented each other and their location on the dress.

• ARTCollab said:
    These are beautiful shaders. Just got them and I'm already using them for the promos of our next product!

Thought I'd mentioned that where I used this product is for the product after the valentine's one (one I'm currently working on). If I had this product when I made the promos for the valentine's one, they would've come in extremely handy! Again, this is a great pack and can't wait for your next one!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Here is an image I did as a product review over in Novica's thread. The oufit is dForce Dinner Date G8F. I thought it would be fun to redo the materials using Unique Fabrics. The outfit includes a blouse, skirt, overskirt, and shoes.

I started with the blouse:

1. Applied the White Base preset for Art Beaded 2 and removed the metalicity.
    2. Modified the normal map parameter and increased the value to 5.
    3. Applied one of the blue color presets and then tweaked the color, making it darker for one side of the blouse, which has two material zones.
    4. Applied the White Base Pattern Masks 01 > UF Pattern 04 Mask 3 preset and changed the Diffuse Color to black.
    5. Applied the White Base Pattern Masks 02 > UF Pattern 04 Mask 1 preset and change the Metal Flake Color to a warm medium yellow.
    6. Adjusted the tiling on both to be large, but still small enough to see the whole pattern.
    7. (After completing the skirt, I changed the tiling on the dark blue side to match the tiling on the skirt waistband, though it doesn't how in these images.)

With the overskirt hidden, I made changes to the skirt:

1. Copied the material zone for the dark side of the blouse and applied that to the skirt waistband zone, then tweaked the tiling until the pattern was visible on the band.
    2. Copied the material zone for the light side of the blouse and applied that to skirt zone, then tweaked the tiling to match the blouse. (I may have been a little off, though.)

With the DDOverSkirt visible:

1. Copied the skirt material zone from the DDUnderSkirt and applied it to the skirt material zone of the OverSkirt.
    2. Modified the Base Color to black and the Glossy Color to a dark gray.
    3. Applied the Transparencies > UF Pattern 04 Transparency 3 preset.
    4. Adjusted the tiling to produce a small, matching, lace pattern.
    5. Applied the same Base Color and Glossy Color to the waistband.
    6. Applied a low density value of Metal Flake using the warm medium yellow color.

For the shoes, I didn't like the original materials so I poked around in the runtime until I found a black velvet texture.

1. Applied the black velvet shader to all surfaces of the shoes except the heel cap.
    2. Applied the White Base Pattern Masks 02 > UF Pattern 04 Mask 1 preset and change the Metal Flake Color to a the warm medium yellow used throughout.
    3. Adjusted the tiling so the gold pattern on the shoes was about the same size as that of the lace overskirt.

(If you happen to have PD Iray Shader Kit 1, it comes with a very handy script for modifying both horizontal and vertical tiles at the same time. I does take a bit to get used to using percentages instead of integers, but it works really well.)

You can really see both patterns well in the full-size image of the headshot below, in the light blue fabric. Images will open in a new window.

Wallflower

Wallflower, by L'Adair

Wallflower Head-Shot

Wallflower Head-Shot, by L'Adair

• Daventaki said:

Cant say im completely happy with the image but I like how the textures go together!

You may not be completely happy with it but I for one LOVE IT. Really pretty. And I love the constrast of color between the chair and the outfit and how bright and lively it looks (my renders always tend towards being darker lighting wise IDK why LOL so I am always in awe of like clear beautifully lit scenes) I also agree with the comment about the color breakup/pattern breakup in the outfit..its very nicely done and really pretty heartheart

• ARTCollab said:
    These are beautiful shaders. Just got them and I'm already using them for the promos of our next product!

Thought I'd mentioned that where I used this product is for the product after the valentine's one (one I'm currently working on). If I had this product when I made the promos for the valentine's one, they would've come in extremely handy! Again, this is a great pack and can't wait for your next one!

I will definitely be on the lookout for it. It's my hope that these sets are handy and useful to people and make creating sets easier for PAs and also make changing things up easier for customers as well. I am really excited to see how you used it in the promos (I know all too well that when doing promos sometimes you just can't find that perfect thing to fit your vision so if the set assisted that in any way I am very happy heart)

• L'Adair said:

Here is an image I did as a product review over in Novica's thread. The oufit is dForce Dinner Date G8F. I thought it would be fun to redo the materials using Unique Fabrics. The outfit includes a blouse, skirt, overskirt, and shoes.

I started with the blouse:

1. Applied the White Base preset for Art Beaded 2 and removed the metalicity.
    2. Modified the normal map parameter and increased the value to 5.
    3. Applied one of the blue color presets and then tweaked the color, making it darker for one side of the blouse, which has two material zones.
    4. Applied the White Base Pattern Masks 01 > UF Pattern 04 Mask 3 preset and changed the Diffuse Color to black.
    5. Applied the White Base Pattern Masks 02 > UF Pattern 04 Mask 1 preset and change the Metal Flake Color to a warm medium yellow.
    6. Adjusted the tiling on both to be large, but still small enough to see the whole pattern.
    7. (After completing the skirt, I changed the tiling on the dark blue side to match the tiling on the skirt waistband, though it doesn't how in these images.)

With the overskirt hidden, I made changes to the skirt:

1. Copied the material zone for the dark side of the blouse and applied that to the skirt waistband zone, then tweaked the tiling until the pattern was visible on the band.
    2. Copied the material zone for the light side of the blouse and applied that to skirt zone, then tweaked the tiling to match the blouse. (I may have been a little off, though.)

With the DDOverSkirt visible:

1. Copied the skirt material zone from the DDUnderSkirt and applied it to the skirt material zone of the OverSkirt.
    2. Modified the Base Color to black and the Glossy Color to a dark gray.
    3. Applied the Transparencies > UF Pattern 04 Transparency 3 preset.
    4. Adjusted the tiling to produce a small, matching, lace pattern.
    5. Applied the same Base Color and Glossy Color to the waistband.
    6. Applied a low density value of Metal Flake using the warm medium yellow color.

For the shoes, I didn't like the original materials so I poked around in the runtime until I found a black velvet texture.

1. Applied the black velvet shader to all surfaces of the shoes except the heel cap.
    2. Applied the White Base Pattern Masks 02 > UF Pattern 04 Mask 1 preset and change the Metal Flake Color to a the warm medium yellow used throughout.
    3. Adjusted the tiling so the gold pattern on the shoes was about the same size as that of the lace overskirt.

(If you happen to have PD Iray Shader Kit 1, it comes with a very handy script for modifying both horizontal and vertical tiles at the same time. I does take a bit to get used to using percentages instead of integers, but it works really well.)

You can really see both patterns well in the full-size image of the headshot below, in the light blue fabric. Images will open in a new window.

Wallflower

Wallflower, by L'Adair

Wallflower Head-Shot

Wallflower Head-Shot, by L'Adair

Wow you did a lot there! I really love the two tones especially on the top criss cross. I cant believe all the different things you did. You really are super creative heart I'm always impressed with all the different ways you think to use stuff. heart

edited February 2020

@Daventaki that is extremelly nice. What is the outfit? I really like how it flows and how the different textures complemented each other and their location on the dress.

@memcneil70 Its a combination of Skirt from Roma Dancer and the top from Immortals Outfit. The skirt drapped great I had her already seated then pulled the chair forward during the animation.

The other texture on the outfit is a velvet dark blue from one of JGreenlees sets.  All the textures have been modified.  The collar was actually transparent and I was having some issues and changed it but forgot to readd it but it looks good like that also (original texture is metal).The top is the same texture on the skirt and sleeves but left at the default size, I was plesantly suprised that the lines and dots lined up with the top like it did.

@ArtCollab Thank you!  Its mainly the pose, to me she looks like shes stiffly sitting upright and I tried to make her look more relaxed but dont feel I made it look that way.  Original image was with the default dome and hdri.  I added in the Boss lighting set  because it was way dark under the porch. 

I had started with an image for the challenge but its annoying because for some reason I cannot use the iray preview without crashing my computer (I dont know what is causing it but DS is the ONLY program that crashes the computer)   None of this happened before the lastest DS/Iray update which is really flustrating.

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Daventaki said:
    I had started with an image for the challenge but its annoying because for some reason I cannot use the iray preview without crashing my computer (I dont know what is causing it but DS is the ONLY program that crashes the computer)   None of this happened before the lastest DS/Iray update which is really flustrating.

@Daventaki, I didn't update my release install of DS. I have the 4.12 beta installed, so I kept the 4.11 release. With all the issues the beta introduced and hasn't yet fixed, I've dropped back to using 4.11.

I also backup each version when it's released, so I can uninstall the latest if necessary, and go back to a version that's working for me. If you haven't been doing that, I highly recommend doing so in the future.

Also, I have to agree with the others, the outfit in that render is amazing. I like the image, but since you mentioned she isn't as relaxed as you'd like her to appear, I took another look. Without changing anything else, you could drop her left shoulder, then bend the forearm to keep her hand from intersecting the chair arm. It might need a few other tweaks, but the rest of the pose should be just fine. You know, if you feel like playing with it some more.
    wink

@L'Adair Thank you for the tips!  I will probably revisit it later and see what I can do to relax the pose.  Also I have seen others say they kept previous versions and wished I had done that.  Now I just hope they can iron out these new issues (I know they are saying its because of Iray not DS) I don't see why we went from being able to use it without problems to having all this problems, but I am also reading that they are saying they are not "problems".....   I was previously using 1 gpu also and now have 2 that I installed right before the updates.......

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited February 2020

So, took a while to get the 5 outfits done but here are my trials :)

1. Mabel Dress

2. Fur Poncho without the fur :/

3. Canary Dress

4. Winter Flowe Outfit

5. Princess Gown

A9458D70-9563-43A5-B827-9F56A90D52B5.png
    705 x 861 - 1023K
    52573815-D9C9-4104-AA21-F91BC3D8C4D2.png
    705 x 861 - 1M
    A884E8D7-A2A1-4ED1-BCC3-A502CA217D4B.png
    705 x 861 - 1M
    9FAF7DD4-BF33-4D06-A867-970A0F0394C3.png
    705 x 861 - 1M
    56F6AAC8-EA0B-4A33-929E-AF0DA4AC3BD3.png
    705 x 861 - 964K
    Post edited by Dkgoose on

@dkgoose

Finally, on my iMac and able to see the images! I love what you did on all of them. So varied, from sophisticated to just fun. And I can see 'Barbie' Doll in the princess dress, or a little girl on Halloween.

Mary

• dkgoose said:

So, took a while to get the 5 outfits done but here are my trials :)

1. Mabel Dress

2. Fur Poncho without the fur :/

3. Canary Dress

4. Winter Flowe Outfit

5. Princess Gown

Those are all lots of fun! I have to admit though I think my favorite is the middle (green) one. That looks super cute and I can 100% see that in a fae type render (though admittedly I am totally partial to little fae LOL)  heart I agree on the pink dress, definitely reminds me of a little girl's princess type dress (or maybe a Cinderalla "good fairy" - or even Glinda from The Wizard of Oz. The first one (the more business looking outfit) is really pretty too (actually they all are) Those are 5 very different looks from fantasy to everyday and I really like all of them heart 

On topic, now you have me wanting to take a look at the Poncho too. I'd not considered using it without the fur LOL

• Daventaki said:

UGH on the iRay preview. If I am honest I tend to not install BETAs cuz they make me nervous (doesnt matter what app it is LOL) so when I do I do as L'Adair mentioned juuust in case and if it is acting up then I just uninstall it and go backwards to the previous version. I am sorry you are going through that though. I know nVidia has been doing "updates" on graphics cards like crazy so I'd check that too just to be sure you've gotten them all. I think I've gotten like 3 updates in a matter of a couple weeks from them LOL 

As for the posing, I get what you mean..that said I kinda liked the posing. I thought her being a little more stiff suited the outfit etc. Like someone that sits more regally or "formally" which I thought suited the outfit etc. So I think it could go either way depending on what you envisioned smiley 

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

thanks everyone it really is a fun product :) i had a slightly different idea for the princess gown but i think because it was older the scaling seemed to be goofy but i liked how it turned out as well, and I agree O do like the green dress, I had played with different colors and in the end i thought that looked best. I can't wait for the next product on the series :)