Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,725

Hey Novica, I got the banner, and the gift card offer, which I got for 28% yesterday, and everything else in that cart was 44%. The only flash sale I managed to buy from was OOT & Orestes, so 3 items at 65%. Today, taking a rest, wishlisting things.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2020

Sassilly (G8F)      CocoSuit G8F     Amelia Hair (G8F) 

Okay, first gripe. The store search REALLY has to get fixed. "Coco" didn't show this product at all, I had to go to Product Library. Second, that shirt is SO wafer thin! 
    Overall, it's just a fun, funky outfit but you may want to test it with different shirts. To fine tune the suspenders, you'll need to go to right or left collar in Scene where you can bend the straps to sit on the shoulders. 

Sassilly has been tweaked, her nose is thinner by default. I added more flesh to the wings, widened the nose, etc. I am going to put a link in my signature to my gallery at the other store, with a NEW and date so you can see these other products. Does anyone know if Renderosity allows mentioning Daz products in the description over there in the gallery? I feel it's only fair to direct traffic over here. I mentioned them in the Sassilly but not mentioning where. 

Amelia Hair looks good from the side, fits quite well over the ear. 

Notice the eye wrinkles. Nice!

sassillyR coco suit amelia hair2.png
    650 x 800 - 552K
    sassillyR coco suit amelia hair3.png
    650 x 800 - 571K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Renderosity doesn't care at all if you mention products from other stores.

edited February 2020

Okay, in my signature now helps you easily find my gallery and the product(s) that I'm using from Rendo. The products will be linked on each gallery page so you can quickly find them.  I suppose you can follow the gallery and get emails if you'd like, just in case I don't remember to always change my signature. (I'm assuming you get emails? Or is it site messages?) 

I'm working on making files for all my Rendo stuff so will be preoccupied with that for quite awhile. I will be mixing/showcasing with Daz products too of course. I am creating a master list as I make DIM packages using Content Package Assist, and have Characters, Sets, Poses, etc. for Rendo. Quite a task.

Reminder- if you do reviews over there, you only have 60 days. Quite a few of mine are expiring so I've been busy just testing products (quickie renders, not letting them finish, just getting a feel for the product to do an honest review.)  Wish we had a review system with rewards here- we'd all be well off from just these threads LOL. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2020

dForce Evening Cheer Dress (G8F)  and textures    Quincy Hair (G3F / G8F)    3DA Jackie (G8F)   Tropical Heat (shader)

Want to point out this outfit as it has nice material zones. You can have a lot of fun with the shaders, as the top, bands, and skirt are all separate. The original textures are on the left, Tropical Heat are the two that are the middle and on the right. Tiling will reduce the patterns nicely.

Quincy Hair has a lot of bends built in the braids, you can get the braids to go wherever you want. 

I really like Jackie- there are three different tints- this is the middle tone. She also has a slight poochy belly, and freckles option. A LOT of different things about this one. See signature.

3da Jackie Evening Cheer QuincyHR.png
    625 x 800 - 746K
    3daJackieGroup.jpg
    670 x 820 - 645K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2020

Reggie (G8F)     Asteris Outfit (G8F)     MRL Messy Bun (G8F) 

The Asteris Outfit is very classy, The MRL bun has a lot of movement morphs but one thing I do not like, the curly strands on each side move in pairs. If you want to move just the front strand by the eye, the side strand by the ear moves too. Unless I just didn't find a way to do it (and I went into Scene.)  Someone feel free to check me and see if I'm wrong. 

I did a lot of tweaks with Reggie's chest. Shrank the breasts, increased the down sloping (hardly had any), squeezed them closer together as they were really far apart, smoothed the underneath, etc. The rest of the body/face is default. Note those eyebrows are your only choice, no other colors available.

ReggieComposite2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 526K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2020

Reggie (G8F)     Asteris Outfit (G8F)     MRL Curly Bun (G8F) 

Here's a better view of the Asteris Outfit. 

Reggie R Asteris D Curly Bun Hair D 4.png
    505 x 799 - 487K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@Novica, that hair looks like MRL's dForce Curly Bun.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Wooo Wooo, I just bought the Mabel 8 Pro Bundle & the Privacy Glass Iray Shaders (PC+) for 25.99 including the 6% tax on sale today. I used my Save6 coupon too though and bought the $26 via Store Credit via Gift Coupon at 8% off so I got the whole lot for about $23.90. Not bad! I'm downloading now so I'll sleep while it finishes.

Nice renders by the way.

Thanks, fixed it :) 

L'Adair said:

@Novica, that hair looks like MRL's dForce Curly Bun.

edited February 2020

Head over to L'Adairs WIPs for a great review of the Dain Pro Bundle. I think it's really sad that the Pro Bundle was so obviously rushed and a sloppy job done on Daniel and Manu (see number 8, it's appalling.)

NEXT TIME SOMEONE THROWS IN MY FACE ABOUT MEN CHARACTERS NOT SELLING AS WELL AS WOMEN CHARACTERS, I'M SENDING THEM STRAIGHT TO THAT POST!!!!! And the fact many of the promos were released with only a one line description/minimal, and ONE PROMO IMAGE. Really pathetic. So no, men characters don't sell as well when it's substandard marketing to start with!

Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133

Yes, I must agree with that analysis. I like the Dain 8 figure too, but the rest does seem thrown together in haste. I bought on day one, mostly to get the freebies and the great deal (plus I try to buy all the men except anime) but I wouldn't have paid more than I did for that bundle (I effectively got 3 Gen 8 Pro Bundles for about $50 plus $60 of other freebies). And it helped me to a great deal on a GC today.

edited February 2020

VYK Rayne            dForceChantilly Chic Outfit (G8F)  and textures          Roxana Hair (G8F) 

Showing the ghosty, pale version of VYK Rayne, she also comes as more "human." One limitation though- if you want to apply eyeliner or makeup, that goes to the default, normal gal. The vendor did put the material for that right with the makeup, so that's your first clue. When I first applied a makeup, I was like, "Wow. Orange face!" because the blue of the pale version is quite a different version. There's also a completely blacked out eye version too. Eerie!

The Chantilly Chic Outfit only comes in that pale nude/beige color, and it seems very blah to me without the texture set. This set dForms very nicely just using the base settings.

Roxanna Hair lets you do quite a bit with the curls, including flattening them. Shown is default. I think the combination of Chantilly Chic Outfit and that hair makes for a pretty eerie person. The hair also comes in sliver and platinum so you can darken it slightly/make your own colors in Surfaces. 

RayneComp.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 675K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2020
    MelanieL said:

Yes, I must agree with that analysis. I like the Dain 8 figure too, but the rest does seem thrown together in haste. I bought on day one, mostly to get the freebies and the great deal (plus I try to buy all the men except anime) but I wouldn't have paid more than I did for that bundle (I effectively got 3 Gen 8 Pro Bundles for about $50 plus $60 of other freebies). And it helped me to a great deal on a GC today.

To be honest, in retrospect, I feel like I overpaid for the base Dain 8, but got a lot of free content to go with it, such as two G8 Pro Bundles, and about three items from each of the four categories. The jury is still out on whether or not the poses and the hairs from the bundles will prove their worth.

But I also got a good discount on the Medieval Fantasy bundle, (buying it too late to affect the GC sale,) and was able to use my PlatClub coupon on the purchase. And with the various stacking discounts, I did still manage to get 39% off a GC yesterday, (as well as a few other perks.)

I'm disappointed with the products in the pro bundle, but overall, I'm still glad I bought it on day 1. (But I'm going to be far more wary of male pro bundles in the future!)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • genarisgenaris Posts: 313

HellO threaders! :)

Can anyone who bought https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-latin-dancer-outfit-for-genesis-8-males tell me:   1) is the shirt actually a separate item from the pants,  and 2) does the shirt have a bottom/tail thats tucked into the dancer pants or does it just stop at the pant''s waistband.     I'm debating buying only because I'd like to use the shirt with other pants, but normal pants are MUCH lower waisted than the dancer-pants in the set and I'm thinking the shirt won't have anything to tuck into or drape over normal pants... any info appreciated. :)
      ~Gen

• genaris said:

HellO threaders! :)

Can anyone who bought https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-latin-dancer-outfit-for-genesis-8-males tell me:   1) is the shirt actually a separate item from the pants,  and 2) does the shirt have a bottom/tail thats tucked into the dancer pants or does it just stop at the pant''s waistband.     I'm debating buying only because I'd like to use the shirt with other pants, but normal pants are MUCH lower waisted than the dancer-pants in the set and I'm thinking the shirt won't have anything to tuck into or drape over normal pants... any info appreciated. :)
      ~Gen

It is separate and it tucks in just under the waist band

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

: )  Thank you, @Robert Freise for letting me know!   Going to consider buying the Diego 8 Pro bundle now, since this out fit is in that and I don't have Diego or other items in it except 1 thing.
       ~Gen

@robertfriese  Dang dude, you're FAST!
    I'm headed to bed, there's a pony party at the barn tomorrow and the barn owner is having trouble getting folks to work it. She's got enough, but they aren't ultra reliable so I'm going to head out I think around noon. Also have to brush Stetson's hair and braid it, as he's in the pasture by the arena/main barn and all the kids flock over to pet the "My Little Pony" horse with the long hair. He loves the attention. 

• Novica said:

@robertfriese  Dang dude, you're FAST!
    I'm headed to bed, there's a pony party at the barn tomorrow and the barn owner is having trouble getting folks to work it. She's got enough, but they aren't ultra reliable so I'm going to head out I think around noon. Also have to brush Stetson's hair and braid it, as he's in the pasture by the arena/main barn and all the kids flock over to pet the "My Little Pony" horse with the long hair. He loves the attention. 

Just lucky this time the moon, stars, cats, and dog were in the proper alignment, and Studio cooperated 

Oh, the barn was so much fun this morning! One horse is dressed for a cowboy theme, another as a ballerina, (yes with tutu), another two as unicorns covered in heart stickers. I got Stetson's hair braided and out of his eyes, and by the time I left, three little kids were already giggling with him over at the fence. One four year old asked his name and it was just plain cute to hear her say, "Stetson is my friend."

Back home and looking through new things, and wanted to point out this gallery image using one of the new releases from today.

• Novica said:

Oh, the barn was so much fun this morning! One horse is dressed for a cowboy theme, another as a ballerina, (yes with tutu), another two as unicorns covered in heart stickers. I got Stetson's hair braided and out of his eyes, and by the time I left, three little kids were already giggling with him over at the fence. One four year old asked his name and it was just plain cute to hear her say, "Stetson is my friend."

Back home and looking through new things, and wanted to point out this gallery image using one of the new releases from today.

Saw that set and first thoughts were the Fifth Element and where can I get  Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich clones

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Thought people might be interested.

I happened to notice an update to the Pop Star Outfit in DIM and that the creator was - Disruptive Publishers; the creator of most if not all of the Dain 8 Pro bundle (I haven't installed most of it). So I loaded up Pop Star just to check it out - the Leather Jacket, the main thing I bought it for, has 2 materal zones. Leather and Metal. Good. Only thing is the zips (which are all closed, even when the zipper is 'open') are on the Leather mat zone, not the Metal one. So you apply another Leather shader and you lose the zips. Not so good. That is an annoying disapointment. I want to apply a worn Leather shader. I can get round it, but it takes more work than it should have if it had been done logically. And the Pop Star necklace ring distorts when I loaded it on Dain, Christain and Darius - first 3 in my G8M list I tested.

This may be "good enough" for Daz but I feel G8M is getting less attention to details, again.

edited February 2020
    3Ddreamer said:

Thought people might be interested.

I happened to notice an update to the Pop Star Outfit in DIM and that the creator was - Disruptive Publishers; the creator of most if not all of the Dain 8 Pro bundle (I haven't installed most of it). So I loaded up Pop Star just to check it out - the Leather Jacket, the main thing I bought it for, has 2 materal zones. Leather and Metal. Good. Only thing is the zips (which are all closed, even when the zipper is 'open') are on the Leather mat zone, not the Metal one. So you apply another Leather shader and you lose the zips. Not so good. That is an annoying disapointment. I want to apply a worn Leather shader. I can get round it, but it takes more work than it should have if it had been done logically. And the Pop Star necklace ring distorts when I loaded it on Dain, Christain and Darius - first 3 in my G8M list I tested.

This may be "good enough" for Daz but I feel G8M is getting less attention to details, again.

I remember passing on that product because I strongly dislike the hair, and I wasn't willing to pay more for the outfit because of it. I commented at the time the hair and the outfit should have been two separate products.

Now I feel like I "dodged a bullet." From here on out, I'm checking the read me of every Daz Original product that doesn't list the vendors before it goes in the cart, and if "Disruptive Publishers" shows up in the file list, I'm not buying!

Edited to be more specific. Changes are in blue text.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited February 2020

Interesting. Not good, but interesting. I haven't heard anything positive about their products yet. I'm going to stick with known, listed vendors from now on, unless the deals on OTHER vendors are too good to pass up. (aka I get more than my money's worth out of everyone else's products, benefits outweigh the underwhelming releases that I won't use.) 

Frankly, if Genesis 9 comes out this year, I'm not going that route as my son is really working hard on his video game (been two years) and things are really coming along well. I have to put my budget toward saving up for everything involved with that.

And with this latest sub-par stuff being released, I'm frankly annoyed with Daz. Shown below is a male character they rejected, (look at the veins in the arms! No other product needed!)  and then they released Manu?  The character below is sold elsewhere (in my gallery there too)

Composite550.png
    550 x 550 - 413K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2020

Shades of Blue Poses (Gen 8/ V8)     Mixable Expressions Tika 8 / G8F   IG Diva Room Poses/Expressions (G8F)  In A Bundle Too

Wanted to give a shout out to some expression and pose sets which make it really easy to tweak slightly and get a fun result. They show moods very easily. Shown on Kerrianne, sold elsewhere.

Long Qipao Dress (G8F)      Liv Hair (G3F / G8F)      I tried Vance Hair and it looked flat and fake. May have been the lighting. The Liv Hair wasn't quite dark enough for the shade of auburn I wanted (and one was too dark) so I used Surfaces and darkened the light one.

Note Kerrianne's plumper area between the brow and the upper eyelid. So realistic! Not exactly "hooded" but definitely more fat stored above the eyelid. Click on the second one to enlarge and click again. Easily seen.

KerrianneCombo.jpg
    799 x 784 - 459K
    Kerrianne 4.png
    850 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,120

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I'm going to buy Dain so many times. I just bought a $300 gift card, which is my largest single purchase to date, and I'm agonizing over what I'm going to get before Daz midnight tonight.

Gordig said:

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I'm going to buy Dain so many times. I just bought a $300 gift card, which is my largest single purchase to date, and I'm agonizing over what I'm going to get before Daz midnight tonight.

I'm rendering Dain right now. I really like him a lot. I know, that doesn't help, does it? Sorry.

Since G8 was released, there have been several releases I wasn't able to take advantage of. But I was able to pick up several bundles released in the first half of the year during the end-of-the-year sales events that year at a pretty sweet price. As the saying goes, there is always another sale. Only you can decide if waiting is the right thing for you.

Good luck!
    wink

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,120
    L'Adair said:
    Gordig said:

I'm rendering Dain right now. I really like him a lot. I know, that doesn't help, does it? Sorry.

Since G8 was released, there have been several releases I wasn't able to take advantage of. But I was able to pick up several bundles released in the first half of the year during the end-of-the-year sales events that year at a pretty sweet price. As the saying goes, there is always another sale. Only you can decide if waiting is the right thing for you.

Good luck!
    wink

The problem definitely isn't Dain himself. I most likely will buy the pro bundle, just because it will end up being worth it for all the stuff I get with it.

How well do the first four Urban Future sets hold up in Iray? I found out that I could get that for free with two of the featured new items, so that seems like the obvious choice, but how good would it look?

Gordig said:
    L'Adair said:
    Gordig said:

Good luck!
    wink

The problem definitely isn't Dain himself. I most likely will buy the pro bundle, just because it will end up being worth it for all the stuff I get with it.

How well do the first four Urban Future sets hold up in Iray? I found out that I could get that for free with two of the featured new items, so that seems like the obvious choice, but how good would it look?

I've got those in my cart, too!

I have both Urban Sprawl (no longer in the store,) and Urban Sprawl 2. Both predate Iray, but render just fine using the Iray Uber Base to convert them.

I was actually drawn to get US3, but decided on the Urban Future bundle should I decide to get Sky Traffic. Still going back on forth on that…

edited February 2020

I went with Roy and Sky Traffic (just waaaay too cool!) and got the Urban Future 6. I don't bother with "Runetime DNA" items as I have all I want. (Isn't that RUNTIME?) Spelling on the promo page is ummm, interesting.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.