Alembic Exporter for DAZ Studio- How Do You Use It- Does It Work With Lightwave, etc

13»

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited January 2014

Cameras are not part of the Alembic Spec, neither are lights. It is an Vertex exact object and object animation format. It doesn't do cameras.

I have to make a slight correction to this. Cameras were not part of the spec when this plug-in was written. Camera motion is part of the spec now, but that is not supported in the current version of the DAZ Studio Alembic Exporter.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Cameras are not part of the Alembic Spec, neither are lights. It is an Vertex exact object and object animation format. It doesn't do cameras.

I have top make a slight correction to this. Cameras were not part of the spec when this was written. Camera motion is part of the spec now, but that is not supported in the current version of the DAZ Studio Alembic Exporter.

No problem DazSpooky, I am grateful for your input (as always) and look forward to seeing the Daz Alembic Exporter recieving an update real soon as it is the main reason for purchasing it ;)

Thank you for your continued commitment & helpfulness :D

• My Virtual LadyMy Virtual Lady Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

atnreg11 said:
    Novica said:
    So spell this out for novices. How would I use this going from DAZ to Lightwave? What would I be exporting over?
    You create your scene in DS, with or without animation.
    You export it using Alembic
    You import the scene into Lightwave.
    You set up your surfaces for best results in Lightwave (Same as you would do with OBJ, MDD, FBX, etc.)
    You add anything in Lighwave you want/need to add to the scene. (Sasquatch Hair, Lightwave dynamics, Lights, etc.)
    Render.

I just tried it, does not work at all at least with Lightwave :(

I setup a scene in DAZ, then export to Alembic (without subdivs preserved, that's the only way to get anything to LW).
    But when I import it to LW, the geometry is correct but NO surfaces are preserved! The whole object is plain Default.
    Ok it copies the texture maps to a folder but that is totally useless if the surface names and assignments are lost!

Please someone tell me this actually works and I just did something wrong (I doubt that as there is nothing to do wrong).

Is the problem in DAZ exporter or LW importer?
    A bit strange was that the Alembic Importer was not in LW menus, I had to add it manually. The plugin existed though. I have LW 11.6.1.

Please help / comment!

Hi there,
    I get the same problem usign Alembic exporter for DAZ Studio in Guerilla Renderer. While importing, I get the list of materials in the node list but the surfaces are not preserved into the geometry. Impossible to plug any material for body part like torso, face, cornea... I try to know more about this in the Guerilla Rendere forum...

edited January 2014

atnreg11 said:
    Novica said:
    So spell this out for novices. How would I use this going from DAZ to Lightwave? What would I be exporting over?You create your scene in DS, with or without animation.
    You set up your surfaces for best results in Lightwave (Same as you would do with OBJ, MDD, FBX, etc.)
    You add anything in Lighwave you want/need to add to the scene. (Sasquatch Hair, Lightwave dynamics, Lights, etc.)
    Render.

I setup a scene in DAZ, then export to Alembic (without subdivs preserved, that's the only way to get anything to LW).
    But when I import it to LW, the geometry is correct but NO surfaces are preserved! The whole object is plain Default.
    Ok it copies the texture maps to a folder but that is totally useless if the surface names and assignments are lost!

Please someone tell me this actually works and I just did something wrong (I doubt that as there is nothing to do wrong).

A bit strange was that the Alembic Importer was not in LW menus, I had to add it manually. The plugin existed though. I have LW 11.6.1.

Please help / comment!

Hi there,
    I get the same problem usign Alembic exporter for DAZ Studio in Guerilla Renderer. While importing, I get the list of materials in the node list but the surfaces are not preserved into the geometry. Impossible to plug any material for body part like torso, face, cornea... I try to know more about this in the Guerilla Rendere forum...

Here is a copy of some info from another thread for you ;)

roeland wrote:

Does it crash Octane or does it fail to load the file? If it crashes, are you able to upload a file causing a crash?

Both, fails to load .abc when using subdivision preservation, but i now know why thanks to you ;)
    And crashes Ds when trying to import a Daz studio character called Michael 4, but the newer Genesis character loads fine BUT, ALL Daz Studio characters exported from Daz Studio as .abc files have either surface or texture errors as shown in my pics! Am starting to guess that the issues are both related to unsupported mesh types and that Daz3D did not included camera export when writting their Alembic exporter (maybe based on older code, i just dont know) I can only guess at all this suff i am afraid :lol: :roll:

Also if the Alembic file contains a camera objects then the imported scene node will have a camera output (blue-green) for every of these camera objects. Cameras are part of the Alembic standard, this is mentioned on the Alembic website:

Thank you for that information/link.. just reading it all now.

Am stuck on my Ipad until the morning but if you still need them i can provide those scenes for you after intake the kids to school in the morning ?

Thanks for your reply Roeland :)

UPDATE EDIT:

linvanchene (Daz forum), Thank you so much for making things clearer for me & your time to post here :D

Orion, thank you a lot for posting this here. I tried to follow all the different threads in all the different forums as good as I could.

Thank you for taking the time to explain things to me in a way that I understand, sorry for the confusing posts.
    I posted in Otoy & Daz forums as (not being the sharpest tool in the box sometimes) I did not know much about the issue(s)
    I was having, what the actual causes were and how much of it was user error or software related.

I though that getting the perspective from Daz & Otoy would help me clear that up not foreseeing this issue of multiple threads.

Also, I guess I am guilty of not reading things fully and therefore when the features I was expecting did not work I got lost in the frantic world of google searches rather than FULLY reading & understanding the information provided, sorry once again.

It seems there are two different issues going on at the moment:

1) The otoy OctaneRender Standalone version is not fully ready yet to support Alembic import of meshes with subdivision.
    What is needed is some more patience until the “official” version 1.5 of OctaneRender is released as I allready tried to explain in the posts.

Currently Octane Standalone 1.27 is out as a Release Candiate.
    We also need to understand that all Release Candidates are unofficial Beta versions that we can use at our own risk.

The last official standalone version available in the downloads is 1.2
    Until we see an offical version 1.5 in the downloads area there is still A LOT of work to be done.
    For those who do not read through the whole thread

GUILTY :(

This only affects the Octane standalone version.
    The OctaneRender plugin for DS reads the data directly from DS .duf files. No Alembic export / import needed there.
    - - -
    2) For some reason some people are under the impression that Camera values are not part of the Alembic standard.
    I really do not quite understand all the limits and possibilities of the Alembic format yet myself.
    I can understand if some things are mixed up because I myself still end up mixing up a lot of things that may or may not be related.
    But from a google search for camera+data+alembic+format it seems that other software support camera export & import with the alembic format.

The camera values and the definitions also seem to be included in the alembic documentation:
    http://docs.alembic.io/python/search.ht ... ea=default

From my point of view having camera values defined as part of the Alembic standard makes a lot of sense.
    As I already pointed out above matching different footage no matter if the source is video or animation depends on using the exact same camera data with the same values.

After all the Alembic standard seems to be introduced by imageworks and lucasfilm both companies dealing probably a lot with composting footage of different sources and all the issues that arise in the process.

The impression I got so far is:
    There is one Alembic format. But it seems not every software is yet supporting all features of it.
    Otoy seems to be working to make Alembic support happen for subdivided meshes.

Roeland @ Otoy had this to say in his last post to me:

Octane at the moment only supports triangle meshes, the other forms of geometry (subDiv, strands etc.) are not imported.

I understand the mesh & texturing side of things better now thanks to everyone, I would just like to see how the camera confusion will be cleared up from this point on then ;)

Maybe DAZ could have another look at how camera values are calculated in DS and how to include properly calculated realistic camera values in the Alembic Export / Import.

I certainly hope so as both DazSpookey & Richard Haseltine both seem to be under the impression that Cameras are not supported!

With respect to them (as is only right & due), Here is what they say..

Richard Haseltine: Alembic does not carry camera or texture information - just the mesh and animation.

DazSpookey:Cameras are not part of the Alembic Spec, neither are lights. It is an Vertex exact object and object animation format. It doesn’t do cameras.

Here is hoping that Daz & Otoy continue to improve these products (& add camera export to the Daz exporter) with as much dedication & ingenuity as possible. Together Daz & Otoy software complements each other on a great level that serves us users well, I am grateful for the hard work that goes in to both the programs involved in this thread & their developers :D

Dazspooky_update.JPG
    963 x 339 - 55K
    Post edited by Orion_Uk on
  • My Virtual LadyMy Virtual Lady Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Hi Orion_Uk,

Thanks for your valuable informations... I stick with the Alembic thread and keep up with the others users. I try to figure out if Guerilla Renderer has fully implement Alembic for meshes with subdivision...

Have a nice day,
    Franck

edited December 1969

No problem Franck,

I have never used Guerilla Renderer so can not be any more help in that area. You have a nice day also ;)

edited December 1969

atnreg11 said:
    Novica said:
    So spell this out for novices. How would I use this going from DAZ to Lightwave? What would I be exporting over?
    You create your scene in DS, with or without animation.
    Render.

Please help / comment!

Hi there,
    I get the same problem usign Alembic exporter for DAZ Studio in Guerilla Renderer. While importing, I get the list of materials in the node list but the surfaces are not preserved into the geometry. Impossible to plug any material for body part like torso, face, cornea... I try to know more about this in the Guerilla Rendere forum...I spent part of Yesterday running various checks. DAZ Studio is exporting the material zones, Lightwave isn't reading them.

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited January 2014

To be fair to these importer writers from other software, note that while Maya will import the ABC file from the DAZ Studio Alembic Exporter with the Material Zones intact, exporting that file from Maya, then reimporting it into Maya results in the loss of the material zones.

I will also note that importing an OBJ with multiple material zones into Lightwave exporting that using their Alembic exporter and reimporting it into Lightwave also produces an object with only one Material Zone.

Post edited by BTLProd on
    edited December 1969

Hi, Please can you confirm that the exporter will be brought up to current standards soon ? I would like to see this exporter brought inline with current Alembic standards please? IE: Camera export inclusion, Thank you.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749
    edited December 1969

Hi cant comment on the octane render question
    but Alembic sounds alot like the Old MDD( point level animation) format.

not sure I understand why it is such a big deal
    other than the "pros" have declared it the latest cross application solution thats going
    to 'unify all the pro apps into one pipeline".

(Like Kaydara,later FBX then Collada all promised to do.)

I was exporting PLA/MDD animated Daz figures to Modo 4 YEARS ago with textures intact.
    via a free Mdd exporter from C4DR11

http://vimeo.com/6654263

• edited December 1969

Hi,

the alembic exported doesn't export files which can be read by Maxwell Render or RealWave 2013.

Both programs have a build in alembic support.

Maxwell Studio seams to read the files but doesn't show anything. RealWave cannot read files which contains an animation. The error message says:

[4/February/2014 23:37:43] - WARNING: Invalid number of vertices per face in alembic file. Only supported faces with 3 or 4 vertices.
    >[4/February/2014 23:37:43] - WARNING: No valid geometry found on alembic file a.abc

So for me the exporter is broken for now.

edited December 1969

For those interested, New Tek just sent me an E-Mail stating that the failure of Lightwave to correctly import Material zones using Alembic has been fixed for the next release build of Light Wave

• davidedwards.medavidedwards.me Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Hey guys,

I'm curious if there's a conclusion to the destroyed UVs in Max, when exporting from Daz?

From what I was reading above there seemed to be some confusion, the materials are there, the UVs are nuked and need recreating; rendering the plugin completely useless for me.

Is this an issue on the Max side? with the importer plugin? i downloaded the free plugin from digital frontier found here: http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/10/digital-frontier-releases-free-3ds-max-alembic-importer/ I also tried with the Vray proxy importer (that supports ABC) both pulled in the animation and materials, but the UVs are not passed through.

Thanks
    David

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited August 2015

Great, money wasted...No support for this plugin in Keyshot, C4D, any program from Daz themselves, Maxwell, Vue, Poser, Lumion, Or even iClone!

The only programs are the bloated over priced Max/Maya, and Lightwave, even then it doesn't support materials, I'm sorry but I don't have thousands of dollars just lying around, otherwise I wouldn't be using a psuedo Alembic plugin...If I sound terse, then I have every right to be, as I spent money on this plugin, in order to support daz!

So what I have is a $70 plugin that saves a bloated 9gb 1500 frame file that only imports a texture-less OBJ file with no animations into Keyshot...Beautiful...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • You can request a refund if you purchased within 30 days. You could also open a suport ticket with the publishers of Keyshot to see if there is a workaround or to prompt them to look to see if they have a bug.

You can request a refund if you purchased within 30 days. You could also open a suport ticket with the publishers of Keyshot to see if there is a workaround or to prompt them to look to see if they have a bug.

Thanks for the reply, but I really don't want a refund as much as support for this product...I just bought Carrara, am a D\S fanatic, as it's the best deal out there, bar-none, it does the same thing as keyshot but costs nothing! So yeah, I'm more disappointed than anything as I have yet to make dae/Colleda work at all, so Alembric is the only solution for me unless I export objs one-at-a time...In short, I bought it so I could use it in other 3D progs besides Studio, as it would take years to render a 1500 frame animation...I'll download a trail modo and see if it will work in that.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

• Half LifeHalf Life Posts: 479
    edited August 2015

I use it in Maxwell -- so I know it works there. You just have to uncheck the options. Although I see you are interested in auto-generated materials, which is not likley to happen with any exchange file format due to the diffrences in material definitions.

Post edited by Half Life on
    Half Life said:

I use it in Maxwell -- so I know it works there. You just have to uncheck the options. Although I see you are interested in auto-generated materials, which is not likley to happen with any exchange file format due to the diffrences in material definitions.

Not necessarily, if it's a question of having an animated model to use outside DazStudio, then materials are secondary! (Plus I read that with tex atlus it cures that prob) I do the majority of my animations via puppeteer, as it's an outstanding option/tool for key framing or on it's own, its just that even with iRay (and it's awesomeness) it still would take too long to animate anything with Daz's rendering engines.

Thanks a lot for the new info!

edited August 2015

Great, money wasted...No support for this plugin in Keyshot, C4D, any program from Daz themselves, Maxwell, Vue, Poser, Lumion, Or even iClone!

The only programs are the bloated over priced Max/Maya, and Lightwave, even then it doesn't support materials, I'm sorry but I don't have thousands of dollars just lying around, otherwise I wouldn't be using a psuedo Alembic plugin...If I sound terse, then I have every right to be, as I spent money on this plugin, in order to support daz!

So what I have is a $70 plugin that saves a bloated 9gb 1500 frame file that only imports a texture-less OBJ file with no animations into Keyshot...Beautiful...

The format itself doesn't support materials. That is not what the format is designed to do. DAZ 3D can't require other companies to support an exchange format, so I am not sure what you are looking for. For something similar to Alembic, DAZ Studio also supports MDD export which is in wider use. I'm also not sure why you believe anything else will give you faster render times than Iray, especially if photoreal is not the goal.
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on

Hi the problem with these cross app "solutions" is always with the RECEIVING applications lack of ability to properly read the materials of the exported obj's.
    The native obj importers of the so called "high end , pro" apps
    are notoroiusly bad in this area.
    the people who market these cross app solutions dont seem to ever really test them in the target applications on matter of correct material imports thus leaving you to get the materials working on your own

I am currently about 14 minutes into a feature length animated film project using Daz studio,Poser,Iclone with ALL rendering being done in Maxon Cinema4D.
    At the outset All of my Characters were from poser as I have a (now discontinued) ,plugin called Interposer pro for C4D, that imports fully functional poser figures into C4D directly from any structured runtime
    and supports all poser animation dat formats (Pz2) formats directly in C4D.

I have since worked out a pipeline using the DS aniMate MDD exporter and a powerful THIRD PARTY obj importer for C4D Called "Riptide Pro"

With this I have added the highly versatile genesis figures to my movie production and they render very fast in C4D as they are just "empty textured shells" being driven at the point level by the matching MDD Data file. 

"I'll download a trail modo and see if it will work in that."

High MODO supports the MDD format but the last time I used it
    (way back in the Modo401 Days) there was a problem with the 
    importer not reading the trans maps of the obj .mtl file
    I will assume that this has long been fixed in the latter versions.

edited August 2015

The format itself doesn't support materials. That is not what the format is designed to do. DAZ 3D can't require other companies to support an exchange format, so I am not sure what you are looking for. For something similar to Alembic, DAZ Studio also supports MDD export which is in wider use. I'm also not sure why you believe anything else will give you faster render times than Iray, especially if photoreal is not the goal.

Then Alembic is a moot plugin, and even though Daz has no control over 3rd party program support they do have control over their own programs. (Bryce,Carrara, D|S)..As far as MDD support, it's already included and assuming it does a much better job and is much more widely used, so what then, is Alembic even good for?

Not trying to be curt but it's a genuine question, as the only application that can use it is Maxwell and autodesk/Lightwave that cost thousands of dollars to be useful...What I was looking for was a alternative to Dae/FBX as they do not work for me...And a refund is pointless as I've already used a $50 coupon in it's purchase, so in essence, it barely even counts as a refund...I still love animating in Daz and for still imaging iRay is unparalleled in the hobbies field of 3D programs, so yeah, I'm a bit disappointed.

The Alembic format is used in production pipelines involving many of the top 3D modeling/animation applications.

With this exporter plugin for DAZ Studio you gain the ability to use DAZ Studio assets, as well as “Vertex Exact” animations, in your favorite 3D modeling/animation applications.

One possible pipeline where the Alembic exporter will be useful is when doing the following:

1. Animate a figure such as Victoria 6 in DAZ Studio
    2. Export to Alembic format
    3. Import Alembic file into preferred 3D application
    4. Set up surfaces, lighting and cameras
    5. Render

The animation of Victoria 6 will deform exactly the same in the target 3D application as it did in DAZ Studio due to the way Alembic handles animation.

Alembic allows you to combine the versatility of DAZ content with the functionality of your preferred 3D application, such as: physics simulation, advanced shaders and lights, physically based render engines, etc."

And why would you think I don't want photo real, iRay is indeed slow if you plan to render 1500 frames, so other than OGL display render it would take centuries vs other renderers out there.

edited August 2015
    wolf359 said:

"I'll download a trail modo and see if it will work in that."

High MODO supports the MDD format but the last time I used it
    (way back in the Modo401 Days) there was a problem with the 
    importer not reading the trans maps of the obj .mtl file
    I will assume that this has long been fixed in the latter versions.

Never assume anything when it comes to human contributions to programs and other things.wink

wolf359 said:

Hi the problem with these cross app "solutions" is always with the RECEIVING applications lack of ability to properly read the materials of the exported obj's.
    The native obj importers of the so called "high end , pro" apps
    are notoroiusly bad in this area.
    the people who market these cross app solutions dont seem to ever really test them in the target applications on matter of correct material imports thus leaving you to get the materials working on your own

I am currently about 14 minutes into a feature length animated film project using Daz studio,Poser,Iclone with ALL rendering being done in Maxon Cinema4D.
    At the outset All of my Characters were from poser as I have a (now discontinued) ,plugin called Interposer pro for C4D, that imports fully functional poser figures into C4D directly from any structured runtime
    and supports all poser animation dat formats (Pz2) formats directly in C4D.

I have since worked out a pipeline using the DS aniMate MDD exporter and a powerful THIRD PARTY obj importer for C4D Called "Riptide Pro"

With this I have added the highly versatile genesis figures to my movie production and they render very fast in C4D as they are just "empty textured shells" being driven at the point level by the matching MDD Data file. 

I remember that plugin, but at the time I had a dino that was pre-64 so it was practically non functional! 

• Half LifeHalf Life Posts: 479
    edited August 2015

Alembic is mostly about being able to handle huge amounts of polygons with a very small file size... this may be of interest if you are sending files for network rendering. Otherwise, the fact that everything is baked (simulations as well) means as far as geometry the resulting  file is a finished product.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alembic_(Computer_Graphics)

Post edited by Half Life on
    edited August 2015
    Half Life said:

Alembic is mostly about being able to handle huge amounts of polygons with a very small file size... this may be of interest if you are sending files for network rendering.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alembic_(Computer_Graphics)

Hmmm, interesting, the first part, (As I don't do too much networking renders/novice mostly) I might find a use for this, I'll keep looking into it, who knows what the future might hold though as new support can turn up at any time, and by then I would have already had the plugin installed!wink

Thanks again for the info, as this plugin is staying on my HDD in anycase!smiley

Alembic is a format designed for a studio pipeline. Your modeler works in one package. Then your animator is done in a package, then texturing and shading done in yet another package. Since shaders are render engine specific, it should be done in the final render engine. As for why I would think you don't want truly photorealistic, that is based on the render engines you named. Iray interactive is capable of equal or better results at 20+ fps.
    edited August 2015
    Alembic is a format designed for a studio pipeline. Your modeler works in one package. Then your animator is done in a package, then texturing and shading done in yet another package. Since shaders are render engine specific, it should be done in the final render engine. As for why I would think you don't want truly photorealistic, that is based on the render engines you named. Iray interactive is capable of equal or better results at 20+ fps.

Ahhh, this changes everything! Why didn't you say that before? wink But this changes everything, I made the mistake of mostly going by the advert, which explains absolutely nothing, especially in the context in which you discribed it!

Thanks, again, this clears everything up for me! Yeah, Keyshot does an excellent job of fast renders and the same with Modo...To be honest, I never tried rendering my ani-via iray, I'll give it a go.

• when I export only one genesis , no problem.

for example ;   

I can only export 1 genesis2 female character.  if I try 2 genesis 2 female character, allembic give me error message.

I can only  export  one  genesis2 female, genesis 2 male or animals .

how can I export 2 same genesis character ?

Ekran Alıntısı.JPG
    1271 x 892 - 221K