a using DAZ content in UE4 thread

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    Ellessarr said:

wow now i finally could understand why the bake process not was proper working in substance painter  and i was only able to bake the "face" of the orc".

it's due to how the "mesh uv is placed in DAZ:

substance only can bake what is inside the "first tile"(the tile of the face), any UV outside the first one will not be baked since for substance it will be like he not in there(even if he is actually in there), anyone know a way to fix it inside substance paint??

i've found a "work around" you must open the "base mesh you want to bake the high mesh with blender or maya then move the uv mesh which is "outside the first tile boundary" back inside, then save it as a obj or fbx or whatever you want then open in substance and bake again, it wil make things proper work.

collapse UV tiles on export

yeah, now it's really working right, thanks.

• collapse UV tiles on export

Thank you. I couldn't find any reason why you would need to do this or wouldn't want to do this. Now I have an answer.

collapse UV tiles on export

Thank you. I couldn't find any reason why you would need to do this or wouldn't want to do this. Now I have an answer.

yeah me too, specially because i didn't knew about how the uv are placed in the uv editor, i was under the impression they already where "colapsed" and only after i go to the bake normal tutorial and wanted to bak some characters to test which i noticed something really strange in the substance, like only the face being baked leaving all the body "no baked" then only after look in the net about that bug which i noticed one comment then it lead me to pay attention to the uv tile set which then was the final chain, in a alternative way you can fixed that too inside of any 3d modeling which allow you to edit the uv, that was really something to caught me offguard, it was good which for now i'm only prototyping the things and can re add characters if needed and now i know which i need to do that.

well to be fair my final characters are still in the development process(i'm still choosing what look's  to use in game for some characters)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

you need them uncollapsed in UDIM form to use polypaint in Zbrush for example 

some programs hate UDIM though as you found, ironically Carrara 3D paint doesn't mind it for example it varies a lot

some programs hate UDIM though as you found, ironically Carrara 3D paint doesn't mind it for example it varies a lot

yeah, since normally for texturing i'm using substance paint and photoshop i never noticed that, but to be fair if i'm not wrong unreal also can suport this udim form inside him, but you need to have a advanced knowledge to proper use it, it's even possible in unreal you create a single material for like many props at sametime it have a way to control which one tile is for each object, you have to really be expert in material inside unreal but you can do that too.

Ellessarr said:

yeah, since normally for texturing i'm using substance paint and photoshop i never noticed that, but to be fair if i'm not wrong unreal also can suport this udim form inside him, but you need to have a advanced knowledge to proper use it, it's even possible in unreal you create a single material for like many props at sametime it have a way to control which one tile is for each object, you have to really be expert in material inside unreal but you can do that too.

LOL I don't do anything advanced but yes I had to collapse them for Ultimate Unwrap3D for example as that doesn't support it either, LAMH hates them too one needs to create a collapsed UV in surfaces to use it

Ellessarr said:

LOL I don't do anything advanced but yes I had to collapse them for Ultimate Unwrap3D for example as that doesn't support it either, LAMH hates them too one needs to create a collapsed UV in surfaces to use it

i means advanced to use inside unreal", not outside, because it means some advanced functions from the functions menu which allow you to control the uv tiling, allowing you to put many textures as you want in a single material and control all of then, it is a nightmare of blueprints but it's funny, i never tried but already saw some exemples of it.

this hood tip is driving me nuts

looked at all the collisions but it wants to balloon rather than flop

you need to adjust a little more the colision in the back and also the paint influence look "too strong" maybe you can reduce more it, reducing the strengt, also making it "smooth", like in the low part "more strong" in the middle a little less and where you want to "almost don't have" have almost none then in the places you dont need do touch, is important to keep trying to repaint until you get the "desired effect you want".

another question taking advantage of you a little, what is that outfit you are using and what is his "poly count"?(to see if i can buy it in a future).

edited January 2020
    Ellessarr said:

you need to adjust a little more the colision in the back and also the paint influence look "too strong" maybe you can reduce more it, reducing the strengt, also making it "smooth", like in the low part "more strong" in the middle a little less and where you want to "almost don't have" have almost none then in the places you dont need do touch, is important to keep trying to repaint until you get the "desired effect you want".

another question taking advantage of you a little, what is that outfit you are using and what is his "poly count"?(to see if i can buy it in a future).

https://www.daz3d.com/wildenlander-watch-hd-for-genesis-3-male-s

is the outfit, I baked rotations and changed the scene identification for genesis 8 male

613 717 according to this

I can check in DAZ studio later

he has most his body missing as I hide parts and export FBX no hidden

Capture.JPG
    635 x 841 - 106K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2020
    Ellessarr said:

https://www.daz3d.com/wildenlander-watch-hd-for-genesis-3-male-s

is the outfit, I baked rotations and changed the scene identification for genesis 8 male

613 717 according to this

I can check in DAZ studio later

he has most his body missing as I hide parts and export FBX no hidden

well even if the genesis 8 male body count was there full it would be around 17k poly then taknig away 17k from 613k it still means a lot high, lol for the outift, yea out of question for me, to have some and make some videos work fine but for sure for game is too high, thanks for the info.

thanks for the info.

as i told just do some adjuts in the paint and a little more check in the capsules and you can get it working perfect as you want.

Post edited by Ellessarr on

Music Video

edited January 2020

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/tech-blog/an-early-look-at-next-generation-real-time-hair-and-fur

finally some answers and none I can afford unless maybe if Houdini Apprentice useable 

an impressive iClone with C4D Alembic hair import

https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/released-projects/1712022-hair-grooming-animation

• interesting dilema

if I retarget a skeleton, I lose all the animations for the previous skeleton

they all get added to the new one

I want to retain them on both

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,750
    Slightly off topic. .... Epic just announced a "send to Unreal" add on for Blender coming soon.
  • wolf359 said:
    Slightly off topic. .... Epic just announced a "send to Unreal" add on for Blender coming soon.

yes they did make a hefty donation to the Blender foundation after all

edited February 2020

annoying skeleton needs to be rebuilt messages if I import all my genesis 8  meshes on the same skeleton

that way can all use 3rd person player and FBX animations but throws that error up all the time

also everytime I change the third person player mesh it changes from recurring skeleton to animation so they go distorted so I need to change them all back and resave

• UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited February 2020

This is usually because at least one of the bones in the hierarchy has a different name. I see this happen with the first root bone.  Depending on the character it might be Genesis8Male or Genesis8Female or the name of the character. This is enough to throw off the Engine. If you are using Blender change the the name of the whole model to root and you will be able to use the same skeleton for all your models without having to rebuild.

See pics below:

I think it might also solve the issue you were having above with losing your animations when retargeting.

Edit: Really nice scarf and dress movement BTW

Genesis8Female.png
    469 x 300 - 17K
    Root.png
    462 x 297 - 18K
    Post edited by UpL8Rendering on
  • This is usually because at least one of the bones in the hierarchy has a different name. I see this happen with the first root bone.  Depending on the character it might be Genesis8Male or Genesis8Female or the name of the character. This is enough to throw off the Engine. If you are using Blender change the the name of the whole model to root and you will be able to use the same skeleton for all your models without having to rebuild.

See pics below:

I think it might also solve the issue you were having above with losing your animations when retargeting.

Edit: Really nice scarf and dress movement BTW

ah that would be it, the root name

they have the names of the characters, I could change that in DAZ studio too

I go via iClone 3DXchange because I retarget them to share animations and also straight from DAZ studio it throws a duplicate nodes error

• wolf359 said:

I watched the live stream. Really awesome integration!  I was surprised they are still having us work in .01 scale in Blender. It makes sense because of the Blender vs UE4 scale difference but the last Blender to UE4 video they put out said go ahead and use Blender at regular scale and the Engine would just figure it out.

I can't wait to try it out. It looks like it will be a significant work flow helper.

If you haven't seen them yet I started posting a few Blender scripts I use when working with Daz3d models. One of them combines material slots that use the same texture and renames some of the slots.  The other will transfer all of the BlendShapes (Morph Targets) from one object to another. Link below:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/379386/helpful-blender-scripts-shapekey-transfer-and-material-slot-combiner#latest

• UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited February 2020
    wolf359 said:

yes they did make a hefty donation to the Blender foundation after all

They also awarded Gadot Godot a $250,000 Megagrant! Such a crazy and exciting time we are in!

Source: https://godotengine.org/article/godot-engine-was-awarded-epic-megagrant

Edit: They awarded $250,000 to Godot the game engine not Wonder Woman LOL

Post edited by UpL8Rendering on
  • Hi everyone!

There is a plugin on the Unreal Marketplace called "Daz to Unreal". I bought it, it works really well for porting stuff over without a hitch. But I have a question regarding Dforce items, if anyone else has used it?

Or failing that, how can I convert Daz clothing to soft cloth in Unreal? Please help! I'm a noob at these things :(

• you need to select it using the section selection

then rightclick and create a cloth asset

then you click the brush that brings up the cloth paint panel

you paint the bits you want clothified

then unclick that brush and rightclick and chose the apply clothing asset and let it calculate (this is the bit I kept missing)

you go to the physics tab to adjust the colliding proxy capsuals

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Physics/Cloth/Overview/index.html

• Thank you so much!

This might be a silly question, but should I import the clothing separately into Unreal and attach it there, or can I import the fully clothed figure and just paint the cloth parts?

• I do it in one go because I don't really understand how to do it separately

Ellessarr can explain that way better

• Hello everebody, is the first time i comment here. i'm a enthusiast (and amateur) user of ue4. a long time looking for a better way to move the daz character to ue4, and recently i give good results (for me) using daz3d + cc3. I know, cc3 replace original model with owner, butt de result is very good. And the best thing is a skeleton with the same epic skeleton hierarquie, and, IK BONES implemented. I imported victoria6 to ue4 and adaptated to ALSv4, and work very well. Here a little video for apreciate the results...

just a detail, the hair looks very bad, iclone uses opacity mask and the result is terrible. I tried to create materials with opacity and using the new hair shader but the texture is very transparent, showing the hair and also the entire scalp.

Sorry for eventualy gramatical/vocabulary errors, english is not my lenguage, and google translate sucks.

Victoria6Ue4.png
    1259 x 876 - 1M
    edited February 2020

very nice

I do BTW import my DAZ figures into 3DX6 which I use as I only have iC6 pipeline 

as I said earlier 

7 with the plugin for UE4 must be awesome 

hello guys i'ts a long time since my last post, i've ben a little busy in my life and also "sick" angry(a annoying flu)  and is worse being sick in the carnival holiday here in brazil, i really loved to hear about that pluging for unreal and daz but for now my pocket is literally "empty" and i can't afford to buy it but next month i will make a little effort to do it and test.

Senor_Monkey , if you need you can checp some previous pages in this thread and find some my "tutorials" about how to import characters from daz to unreal(without that new pluging), they can help a lot with some of the things you are needing like cloths physics.

edited February 2020

and i forget about the "bones" you can "rename" the root bone in daz before export it to unreal, choose the character you want to "export" then after load it  select it, then in the tools, option choose the joints editor, then it will make all the bones of the character "appear" in the scene then go to the character in the scene then go to the bone you want to edit then right+click on it, then a small menu appear then choose "rename" bone/joint, it will pop up a new option where you can rename the bone, you have 2 options one to change the "visual" name and another to change the "real bone name" in any doubht change both to the name you want in this case "root" then export the character.

if you really are patient you can use that to rename all the bones to match the "unreal bones name" to make the "retarget process more fast, if the name of the bone match unreal "default names it will be assigned automatically without you need to do that.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • Ellessarr said:

<snip>

if you really are patient you can use that to rename all the bones to match the "unreal bones name" to make the "retarget process more fast, if the name of the bone match unreal "default names it will be assigned automatically without you need to do that.

now that sounds like something someone could write a script for

(along with the one to fix stuff for Carrara nobody will create)