UV Setter for Genesis 2: Revised and Updated

SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
edited March 2014 in Freebies

I got tired of manually changing the UV sets for my Genesis 2 Males and Females, so I made up a set of 10 presets to make it easier. I would like to share them with all of you, if you are interested.

Use these presets to quickly change the UV map of your character without affecting the material settings. All presets work on both male and female figures. Presets for Poser 9+ are included as well, but while testing them, I didn't seem to need to apply them. All materials I tried to apply already set the UVs. So, if you run into a problem using them in Poser, just let me know and I will see what I can do.

Included are Basic Male, Basic Female, Gia, Girl 6, Michael 4, 5 and 6, Victoria 4, 5 and 6.

***Note that you must have these UV sets installed on your system for the presets to work. So if you don't have V6, then the V6 preset won't do anything and may give an error message.

Presets are located in My Library/Presets/UVSetterGen2 for DAZ Studio and Runtime/Libraries/Materials/UVSetterGen2 in Poser. Also, I made metadata for these, so after you install them to your content folder, you will need to reimport metadata and make sure you uncheck everything except this product, which should be located at the bottom of the list. If you don't uncheck everything else, you will be changing all the metadata you have already set up.

(see link below)

Update March 25, 2014:

I just updated my UVSetterGen2 freebie today to include Olympia and Stephanie 6, and also to include the Generation 5 UVs for Genesis 2, which will be released in the DAZ Store later this week (subject to change). These UVs include Aiko 5, Stephanie 5, Hiro 5, Freak 5 and David 5. The Generation 5 UV presets will only change UVs on Genesis 2 and will do nothing when used on Genesis. You must own any of the figures listed for the UV presets to change anything. So, for example, if you do not own Victoria 6, then the V6_UV preset will do nothing and may even give you an error that the Victoria 6.dsf can't be found.

I hope you all find these useful, I know I use them a lot. The presets will apply the selected UV set to either Genesis 2 Male or Genesis 2 Female, regardless of the intended gender of the UV set. So you can put S6 textures on M6 or Jayden, and vice versa.

Please note that the textures for Creature Creator skins for Genesis 2 Female use the Basic Female UVs, so you would want to use the BF_UV preset on Gen2Male to use the Creature Creator textures.

Here is a link to ShareCG where the freebie is housed, but you can also find it following the Freebies link in my signature:

UV Setter for Genesis 2

Post edited by Slosh on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

Thank you Slosh, it sounds handy. I noticed on ShareCG it says All Rights Reserved. That seems to mean I can't really use it without asking your explicit permission first. Is that what you intended? Or did I misinterpret the meaning of All Rights Reserved?

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 2013

Thanks Slosh, I'll keep this for later as I've only got G2F at the mo.

Post edited by none01ohone on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Slosh!!!! Just what I need since I love to use older M4 and V4 UV maps and hate to fiddle with the advanced material settings (which I really don't understand.)

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Thank you Slosh, it sounds handy. I noticed on ShareCG it says All Rights Reserved. That seems to mean I can't really use it without asking your explicit permission first. Is that what you intended? Or did I misinterpret the meaning of All Rights Reserved?

That is correct, barbult. You must contact me via PM within 3 hours of using any of the presets. Once approved, you will have 72 hours or you must apply again for clearance.

:P Fixed on ShareCG. Just forgot to check the box at the bottom for unlimited use.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    barbult said:

That is correct, barbult. You must contact me via PM within 3 hours of using any of the presets. Once approved, you will have 72 hours or you must apply again for clearance.

:P Fixed on ShareCG. Just forgot to check the box at the bottom for unlimited use.

*Giggles*

Thank you!

• AlowynAlowyn Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Slosh!
    -D

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Thank you. These seem to fix some Carrara issues as well.

ncamp

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

LOL!

I forgot about these presets! I'm about to start making zombies, and, the best textures are Smay's. With G1 you could apply his textures with the M4 UV to M5 or V5 with no problems. With G2, I didn't think it was possible, however, using your presets, I can give M4 UV's to V6, so, I can use his textures after all!

I tested it with the M4 Elite Rob texture, and that will give me more nightmares than any zombie will!

CHEERS!

• SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

wow thank you so much for this! What a time saver

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Just discovered these. They will be SO useful. Thank you!

edited December 1969

I'm glad to see this thread coming back to life. I use these presets nearly every day. Yes, you can do this manually in the surfaces tab (unless doing cross-gender), but sometimes you don't have that tab open and this is just easier than opening it. I also have these presets saved to a menu at the top of DS so I don't have to hunt them down. If you want to know how to do that, follow the "Free Video Tutorials" link in my signature. There is a video there that shows how to do it.

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Thank you Slosh, this will be very handy!

edited December 1969

The cross gender thing is really handy as there are undead textures for M4 or G2M that look equally good on G2F that can get double the use thanks to these presets.

CHEERS!

• StarLabzStarLabz Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

So just to be clear on how this works (I USE POSER PRO 2014) i have G2F and i want to add a v4 texture to a v6; all i have to do is select my g2f, then click on the v4 UV from your program and add it to the g2f; then apply any v4 texture???? If so, WOW!! i needed this.%-P

edited December 1969

No, not that I'm aware of, these are DS presets. Catharina at Mec4D did make something similar for Genesis in Poser, but I don't know of anything similar for G2 in Poser.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Anonedel said:
    So just to be clear on how this works (I USE POSER PRO 2014) i have G2F and i want to add a v4 texture to a v6; all i have to do is select my g2f, then click on the v4 UV from your program and add it to the g2f; then apply any v4 texture???? If so, WOW!! i needed this.%-P

I don't have Poser Pro 2014, only Poser 9, but I don't see why it won't work in your program. As I said in the first post, all of the V4 textures I own have changed the uvs in Poser for me, so I haven't been able to see them in action. But, yes, if you apply this preset before or after you apply the V4 texture to G2F, then it should set the correct uv's and not mess with any of your shaders. Let me know if I am wrong, I will see what I can do.

edited December 1969

Oh, I see, that's interesting, I didn't realise they could be universal.

CHEERS!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

ARISE THREAD!

Ok, having trouble... I have Michael and Victoria 4, I can make figures.

But when I try to transfer skins to a Genesis 2 figure, I get:

Some assets needed to load the file were missing.

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Michael 4/Michael 4.dsf

Um, what?

Since the presets only apply to Genesis 2, you actually need M4 for Genesis 2 Male(s) and V4 for Genesis 2 Female(s), not the generation 4 figures.  

• Thanks a ton Slosh !

Oh, duh. Thanks.

I think I asked that a while back and forgot, but at least now it's on a thread I can actually find. ;)

• Thanks, Slosh.  Just found this and downloaded it.

I'm glad to bring it to folks' attention. It's been monumentally helpful.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

I know this is an older thread, but I woud love to know how this utility works.  Is there any documentation?  I have some M4 skins/materials that I am wanting to try an transfer to G2 but can't seem to figure out how to make them work.

So in my first attempt I tried loading M6, then I chose M6 UV Preset and then I chose my material preset (which looks to be a .mc6 file).  So what step am I missing here?

Thanks!

• Do you have the Michael 4 UV set for Genesis 2 male? The script allows switching of UV sets thata re installed - it doesn't add new sets.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

Do you have the Michael 4 UV set for Genesis 2 male? The script allows switching of UV sets thata re installed - it doesn't add new sets.

Ok, so I think I figured it out.  Got the UV set to Michael 4 now.  But I the seems still are not lining up 100%.  Basically the seams are just a tad off.  It is pretty close though.  Much better than before.  I think I might need to alter the diffuse maps in Photoshop perhaps.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,273

Just out of curiosity, is there a package that has all the uvmaps of the various models, so that I won't have to buy the actual models and still be able to use the various textures on the models I do have?

I have various UV packages in my store for using uvs from different generations and different characters.  There are also some other vendors that have similar products.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587

Yeah, very useful. Thanks and your first license may be a joke but we are getting there with people and busineses getting greedier and greedier.