The Can’t Find Anything When You Need It Complaint Thread.

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    This is you guys at 1640 UTC from the NOAA GOES-East satellite

it sure looks cold down there. ice trope planet.

edited December 1969

they gave me my bubby back in a flowery tin. he's heavy, like a ups battery.

edited December 1969

the white rabbit talk last week made me whip out my jefferson airplane.

and unrelated Extreme.

we built this city ... a warmer city thaz never heard of negative degrees

B52s sounds a warmer place too.
    mercury ee shooting thru every degree ee

CaptureExtreme.JPG
    597 x 379 - 48K
    CaptureJA.JPG
    602 x 499 - 54K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

Stupid dumbass Daz studio activity of the day

do not try this at home
    well at least not on an ordinary computer
    a supercomputer might cope

fitting Genesis to Genesis 2 Female as full body clothing with HD morphs dialed in her

pooter stuck on 99% RAM and not responding!!

edited December 1969

do not try this at home

fitting Genesis to Genesis 2 Female as full body clothing with HD morphs dialed in her

note to self, :lol:

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    whoa minus 10 sounds like not much fun eta our radio is calling it a polar vortex, sounds bad

The Polar Vortex is actually something that's always there...but "there" is usually much further north. It's been dipping down into the states. Sometimes I wonder if the Earth tilted on its axis a bit. But the daylight seems about right, so that can't be it.

Dana

edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well to day is D-Day for the vote extending UC benefits.

Wish me luck or this time next month, I'll be living in a corrugated cardboard condo under a bridge.

Good luck! My situation isn't much better. But at least we each have a car. Mine is nicer. I wonder if ADT does car security.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Wish me luck or this time next month, I'll be living in a corrugated cardboard condo under a bridge.

Good luck, KK!

are the results from the extention vote in?
    ...nothing yet. The lead story on our local fish wrapper's "National/World" news page is about a Velveeta shortage.

Oh the humanity! How could they let this happen? How will I make Tonight's Tuna Noodle Surprise Casserole? Where's the FDA? Where's FEMA? Call out the National Guard! :ohh:

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Velveeta Shortage Stuns Nation Complaint Thread

edited December 1969

...too early in the day yet to hurt my brain that much.

Judging by the some of the terminology, sounds like AoA's Advanced Ambient and Spotlights should work...theoretically.

At least I now know what 'rib" means other than those bones I have which ache when it gets cold.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Good luck, KK!

...nothing yet. The lead story on our local fish wrapper's "National/World" news page is about a Velveeta shortage.

Oh the humanity! How could they let this happen? How will I make Tonight's Tuna Noodle Surprise Casserole? Where's the FDA? Where's FEMA? Call out the National Guard! :ohh:
    http://news.yahoo.com/unemployment-benefits-bill-clears-hurdle-161831232--finance.html

edited December 1969

do not try this at home

...noted as well.

...think I'll hold on getting those until I can afford a Cray. ;-)

edited January 2014

tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Good luck, KK!

http://news.yahoo.com/unemployment-benefits-bill-clears-hurdle-161831232--finance.html
    ...thank you. That is good to hear. I also like the idea of creating good stable well paying jobs (meaning jobs that pay a "living wage").

So much for our "#1 progressive" news outlet out here.

Should have looked at the Milwaukee Journal, there it is one of the top headlines on the main page.

On the same front, submitted my application for the in-state the healthcare programme we have and finally got my food benefits set up. At least I'll have something to eat for the next month and maybe finally get my arthritis and poor circulation diagnosed as requiring accommodation so I can get some help towards getting me back on the road into something I can do whether through direct placement or additional training.

Frankly, I'm getting very tired of beating my head against a wall all the time.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

They cut our food benefits in half. We are probably gonna lose them here shortly cause of what we made this year. It really sucks when you have 2 teen boys to feed

edited January 2014

...yeah, something else they need to revisit.

They want people eating healthy but then make it impossible to do so. The cheap rubbush is just that, filled with chemicals, growth hormones, GMOs, and often little in the way of nutritional value. One of the biggest scams was the substitution of High Fructose Corn Syrup for natural forms of sweeteners. It's not just confections and sports/soft drinks, but in just about everything on the shelf these days. A study at Yale university has linked the use of HFCS as being a major contributing factor to the rise in obesity since it's introduction forty years ago. The reason? Profit margin for the big food producers as more natural forms are more expensive.

I can understand the budget strain as my mum had three of us. Two who were athletic as well. A grocery bill of 35$ back in the 1960s is like 200$ today.

...and that was pretty much for just the basics, no fancy or "luxury" items.

Up until my early 50s I still had the metabolism of a teenager and was the bane of any "all you can eat" deal. Then *wham*, it changed almost overnight. Now the same pot of pasta sauce I make, which lasted one meal (with maybe a bit leftover to take for lunch the next day), is enough to make three.

Two slices of Pizza is enough for me now whereas before I was known to down 15 - 20 (including the end crust).

One of the small benefits of getting older I guess.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited January 2014

complaint: I wasted like 25 minutes in an online MMORPG. Long story short: I accepted a quest to go find someone in a cave to do more quests. I spent like 10 minutes swiming along the rocky coast because I couldn't find the road on the cliff above the water. I finally found a path from the shore to the cave entrance. Then I spent 15 minutes walking and fighting from the shore to the cave entrance. Turns out my character isn't strong enough to be in the cave because my level is too low.

Well, how was I supposed to know that the gnolls/kobolds are really strong before I accepted the quest? Ugg... bad design on two different fronts.

Ok... end of rant.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:

I can understand the budget strain as my mum had three of us. Two who were athletic as well. A grocery bill of 35$ back in the 1960s is like 200$ today.

That's about what we get. My kids eat through that in a week. We pay an extra $200-$400 a month. We don't get the luxury items either. Mostly generics. Some name brands. That's just because the cheep is exactly that, cheap, and it taste that way. We spoil ourselves once every 3 months and get steaks for the 4 of us. We live on a lot of hotdogs, mac n cheese, sandwiches, hamburger helper, burgers, chicken patties and the occasional pork chop or chicken. We don't have a lot of meats in our diet cause we just can't afford it. But, we get buy and at least we are fortunate to be able to eat unlike many others who can't

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Warm today under an awesome big bright blue sky that seems to roll on forever outside my window :)

edited December 1969

We had a blue sky today...but it went away. Now it's dark. We had a high temperature of 31F. But right now it's reversed...13F and feels like -1F. And it's only 6:49pm. :ohh:

Dana

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...yeah, something else they need to revisit.

They want people eating healthy but then make it impossible to do so. The cheap rubbush is just that, filled with chemicals, growth hormones, GMOs, and often little in the way of nutritional value. One of the biggest scams was the substitution of High Fructose Corn Syrup for natural forms of sweeteners. It's not just confections and sports/soft drinks, but in just about everything on the shelf these days. A study at Yale university has linked the use of HFCS as being a major contributing factor to the rise in obesity since it's introduction forty years ago. The reason? Profit margin for the big food producers as more natural forms are more expensive.

Up until my early 50s I still had the metabolism of a teenager and was the bane of any "all you can eat" deal. Then *wham*, it changed almost overnight. Now the same pot of pasta sauce I make, which lasted one meal (with maybe a bit leftover to take for lunch the next day), is enough to make three.

Two slices of Pizza is enough for me now whereas before I was known to down 15 - 20 (including the end crust).

One of the small benefits of getting older I guess.

I think that whole "sugar causes kids to be hyperactive" bull was started by the corn industry. They've recently said that there is no evidence of that. Kids are just normally hyper, I think. Now food dye does seem to make a difference, especially the red. Kids with attention deficit issues seem to be worse if they have something with red food coloring. It's pretty damn difficult to find things that don't have red food coloring in it.

Dana

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    We had a blue sky today...but it went away. Now it's dark. We had a high temperature of 31F. But right now it's reversed...13F and feels like -1F. And it's only 6:49pm. :ohh:

Dana

11 am here, getting warmer

t.png
    216 x 173 - 16K
    edited January 2014

Frank0314 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

That's about what we get. My kids eat through that in a week. We pay an extra $200-$400 a month. We don't get the luxury items either. Mostly generics. Some name brands. That's just because the cheep is exactly that, cheap, and it taste that way. We spoil ourselves once every 3 months and get steaks for the 4 of us. We live on a lot of hotdogs, mac n cheese, sandwiches, hamburger helper, burgers, chicken patties and the occasional pork chop or chicken. We don't have a lot of meats in our diet cause we just can't afford it. But, we get buy and at least we are fortunate to be able to eat unlike many others who can't
    ...yeah kind of similar to what I grew up with. A bit more meat as some types like pork (Iowa) and chicken (Iowa/Wisconsin) was rather plentiful and therefore not terribly overpriced.

Beef, when we got it was either ground (25% - 30% fat content) stew meat, or the once a month roast which lasted for several days. Steak was very rare as well and mostly sirloin tip or some other low grade variety when we did have it. Fried chicken (still can't eat it to this day), Hot Dogs and Pork Ring Bologna were also regular fare on the table.

Also lots of "fattening" casseroles (made with you guessed it Velveeta™) & such. Back then the cheapest thing to use was Crisco shortening (what "low fat diet"?) as it cost less than corn oil (which was supposedly the "healthy" oil of the day). Basicaly a diet that would give a cardiologist nightmares for weeks, heavy in carbs with with egg noodles other pasta, and potatoes and fats from low grade meats and lots of fried foods.

Veggies were a mix of some fresh and some canned/frozen (the latter to save time as we had to wait for our mum to get home from work).

Organic? The word simply didn't exist back then and sounded too much like another (which if said could end up in a quick trip to a soap tasting).

Fortunately, fish actually found it's way to the table with some frequency, particularly lake perch, sturgeon, pike, and smoked whitefish, which were native to the area and back then, cheaper than beef in some cases. We would often go out and catch our own as well. Unfortunately it would often be fried in that lovely high cholesterol shortening.

School lunches were usually sandwiches made with either Peanut Butter "store label" brand Bologna or other over processed lunch meat on plain white "sponge" bread.

Having grown up in Wisconsin dairy items were cheaper so milk, cheese, and butter were actually affordable (margarine was sacrilege and at one time prohibited in the the state).

Must have had a metabolism rate of a hummingbird to remain so skinny for so long with such a diet.

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

11 am here, getting warmer
    ...just past 16:00 here and getting colder (though not as bad as the Midwest) with more wet on the way. Not enough to have any real impact at higher elevations as snow to help the snowpack in the mountains (which is extremely low this year at less than one third of normal). The snowpack is what gives much of the region, particularly east of the Cascades, water during the summer. One of Portland's primary water sources, the Bull Run reservoir, is also dependent on the snow depth.

edited December 1969

The only time we get fish is when I go fishing and bring it home. We usually have deer meat but I haven't been able to hunt the last 2 years cause my back is getting worse.

edited January 2014

...yeah with the rise in popularity of fish actually being "good for you" because of all the Omega Fatty Acids, the price has skyrocketed even for the lower grade varieties.

For fish I'm in the wrong place as Salmon is king here but I can't eat it. About the only other "affordable" fresh fish here is Cod and Mahi Mahi. Lake perch and Pike (when you can find them) command prices that make Lobster and Crab almost seem reasonable.

Not having a car or Driver's licence, makes fishing pretty much moot for me because the best places close to here for the fish I've grown up eating are in eastern Washington, Idaho and Western Montana.

I certainly would not eat anything pulled out of the cesspool here in Portland known as the Willamette River. There are areas along the river that are major superfund cleanup sites and the city has this wonderful thing known as "CSO" - Combined Sewer Outflow that is triggered when it rains heavily. There are actually signs on the banks of the river that warn people not to swim in it when this occurs.

Further up the Columbia is the Hanford Nuclear reservation which has pretty much been known to have underground storage tanks of radioactive sludge that are leaking into the surrounding ground water that eventually runs off into the river.

So much for the "green and pristine" Pacific Northwest.

[looks up at the clock]

...on that note, time to start preparing dinner.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...too early in the day yet to hurt my brain that much.

Judging by the some of the terminology, sounds like AoA's Advanced Ambient and Spotlights should work...theoretically.

At least I now know what 'rib" means other than those bones I have which ache when it gets cold.

Damn! I thought ribs were for smearing bbq sauce on and grilling. I'll just stick with my bbq ribs, thank you very much.

edited December 1969

do not try this at home

I won't have to worry about this happening to me until I get a 64-bit computer. Then I might try it.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Good luck, KK!

Our local rag is all wrapped up in UT's new head football coach. As an Aggie fan, I'm not concerned about UT's choice. Maybe you could get a coaching job while the end-of-season shuffle is going on.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    whoa minus 10 sounds like not much fun eta our radio is calling it a polar vortex, sounds bad

The Polar Vortex is actually something that's always there...but "there" is usually much further north. It's been dipping down into the states. Sometimes I wonder if the Earth tilted on its axis a bit. But the daylight seems about right, so that can't be it.

Dana

Has anyone checked for the pole change lately? Edgar Cayce, among others, predicted it would happen.

This discussion has been closed.