How do I add/edit hair?

gigengigen Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi all, new to Daz. I've just setup a figure called Ianthe (from the marketplace) on top of Victoria 4.2. I've figured out how to pose and render and modify the body but I am really struggling with adding hair. Does Ianthe come with hair? Does Victoria? Where do I find and add hair?

I managed to add some hair called Toulouse but it places the hair in the middle of the head and I cant figure out how to move it on top of her head. Any help is much appreciated!
Rob

Comments

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited January 2014

gigen said:
    Hi all, new to Daz. I've just setup a figure called Ianthe (from the marketplace) on top of Victoria 4.2. I've figured out how to pose and render and modify the body but I am really struggling with adding hair. Does Ianthe come with hair? Does Victoria? Where do I find and add hair?

I managed to add some hair called Toulouse but it places the hair in the middle of the head and I cant figure out how to move it on top of her head. Any help is much appreciated!
    Rob

Lanthe is a character for both V4 and Genesis according to the description. You would need a V4 hair to use on a V4 character. I think the Toulouse hair is a free hair for Genesis 2 Female that comes in the G2F starter essentials package. Because it is designed for G2F, it will not fit on too V4. You could try parenting the hair to the V4 head, then using the X, Y, Z parameter controls to try to manually fit the hair to V4, but I have never tried this.

You could try the Genesis version of Lanthe. I believe there is at least one free Genesis hair in the Genesis starter essentials. If you want to use V4, you will need to buy a V4 hair or find one on a free site like ShareCG.

One added thing: you can autofit V4 hair to Genesis, but not the other way around. With the V4 for G2F addon, you can autofit V4 hair to G2F, but not the other way around.

Post edited by mark128 on
  • SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited January 2014

gigen said:

Rob

This is because Toulouse hair is for Genesis, not V4. (hair is for specific figures).

But fear not. You can adjust the position of the hair, but it will need to be "un-fitted" first. All you need to do is right click the hair and select "Fit to" and you will see that it is fitted to V4, Change this to "fit to" none, now you will be able to adjust the y-displacement until the hair sits properly. You may need to fiddle with some rotations or other diplacements too, but usually genesis hair on V4 only needs a y-adjustment. Finally parent the hair to V4's head and you're done

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • gigengigen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! This is starting to make more sense. Ok, so I bought November Hair for V4. How do I properly apply it to my character? I'm still stumbling around and I can find an icon of the hair in the Content Library pane but when I double click on it, nothing happens....

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Try selecting the head of your figure first....then click to apply the hair...hope this helps...Trish

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Yes, you need to have the figure selected in the scene tab, then double click the hair prop.

• McKinnanMcKinnan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I usually need to glance over at my Parameters tab to make sure I have the actual Head selected verses just the figure itself. It's kind of a double click when it comes to selecting individual body parts of a figure I have not previously had selected.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Actually for Conforming Hair and parenting Hair all you wont selected IS the Figure, not the HEAD. Most were designed to load with Figure selected and not a sub node of the figure, the head is a Node.

• gigengigen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks again everyone. I'm not having any luck here and this is driving me crazy. I've installed November hair and now Reby Sky. November shows up in the library but does nothing when I click on it, and Reby doesn't even show up at all. I'll try the last two suggestions from McKinnan and Jaderail and see if its a selection thing but this is way more complex than I expected and this coming from a guy who does 3D for a living!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

First off, be sure your buying a hair model and not textures for a hair model. Textures are sold separate as extra packs. You must have a Hair figure before it will load. A texture set does not include the hair it was made for.

• McKinnanMcKinnan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for correcting that Jaderail. I'll have to check that out. Thought for sure the head had to be selected :-)

• kgnotgkgnotg Posts: 11

I am also unable to place hair. My task is very simple - open Toulouse Hair and place it on the caracter yet it does not work. 

Is this a bug for this program that may be occurs to individual computers?

• kgnotg said:

I am also unable to place hair. My task is very simple - open Toulouse Hair and place it on the caracter yet it does not work. 

Is this a bug for this program that may be occurs to individual computers?

Which figure are you using?

• kgnotgkgnotg Posts: 11

I have a very simple task. I have a figure of a woman from genesis 8 Female whose head is looking shaved since she is the basic doll from the original.

She has to have long hair so I went to hair/toulouse hair in the library and started selecting all the hairs while the head of the caracter is selected as well. 

Nothing is occuring to show for my efforts.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986
    edited October 2019
    kgnotg said:

I have a very simple task. I have a figure of a woman from genesis 8 Female whose head is looking shaved since she is the basic doll from the original.

She has to have long hair so I went to hair/toulouse hair in the library and started selecting all the hairs while the head of the caracter is selected as well. 

Nothing is occuring to show for my efforts.

Slow down, when you select the main folder, there is only one "hair" ... load that figure. Then in the scene tab select the Toulouse hair, then click on any of "all the hairs" in the sub-folder to change its colors. When clicking on mat files with their own target obj not selected, nothing happens.

To Load the Hair, the rest are mat files.png
    372 x 433 - 31K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on