Modeling a prop that has a rotational point that is not its center.

Hi all,

I've modeled a door and rigged it so that it rotates on its hinges along the Y axis. Is there any way to model the door in Hexagon to get the center/rotational point to stay on the door edge along the Y axis and actually bake it into the OBJ. I see that in Hexagon you can change the rotational point of the object but it doesn't seem you can make that point be the center(?) or is there?

Thanks!

Comments

• I notice in DAZ that some door props made for Poser come with the rotational point where door hinges would be expected and I am curious how to imitate that. The door itself can be selected in the scene tab and in the parameters tab you can open the door directly. In DAZ, so far i have only been able to make a child bone for the door 1 level below and I have to select that to open the door and not the actual door itself.

• DAZ studio does not support local space pivots only world space so the door would need to actually load at the 0,base on y-axis,0 coordinates on the hinge then be parented to the doorways as a smart prop.

people get around this by rigging the props with bones and the doors unwelded mesh

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 2019

This tutorial by Jen Greenlees should point you in the right direction -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1gOcfVZKog

There are some things like shading domains you have to do first, any problems let us know

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • DAZ studio does not support local space pivots only world space so the door would need to actually load at the 0,base on y-axis,0 coordinates on the hinge then be parented to the doorways as a smart prop.

people get around this by rigging the props with bones and the doors unwelded mesh

Not true. It it true, as far as I know, that chnages have to be made in DS and the item saved as a scene or native asset.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

DAZ studio does not support local space pivots only world space so the door would need to actually load at the 0,base on y-axis,0 coordinates on the hinge then be parented to the doorways as a smart prop.

Not true. It it true, as far as I know, that chnages have to be made in DS and the item saved as a scene or native asset.

Okay, let's make it clearer. D|S does not support importing local space pivot in an .obj.

• people get around this by rigging the props with bones and the doors unwelded mesh

Thanks all, so I need to do something with the prop inside DAZ and not to expect it to transfer from Hexagon to DAZ. Got it....

• This tutorial by Jen Greenlees should point you in the right direction -

There are some things like shading domains you have to do first, any problems let us know

Thanks I will check it out!

• This tutorial by Jen Greenlees should point you in the right direction -

Thanks! I have been using the MYDART rigging tutorial and it seems to be the same way JG is doing it and how I've been doing it. I am happy to know that this is the usual way of rigging hard items in DAZ and that it can't be done in Hexagon so I won't have to waste time finding a sHexagon solution to this. Thanks all!

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 2019

Have you got a link to the MYDART tutorial ?

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Lets say you made the door in Hex and send it to DS using bridge. Next, select the door is scene tab and go to Tools menu - Joint Editor. Two (green and red) gizmos will appear. Position the green one in top corner and red one at bottom corner. Switch to universal manipulator tool and now Y rotation parameter is your open / close door rotation. Save the door as figure/prop (File - Save As - Support Asset - Figure/Prop Assets...

Door 01.png
    1918 x 1046 - 253K
    door 02.png
    1919 x 1017 - 235K
    Door 03.png
    1920 x 1017 - 190K
    Door 04.png
    1920 x 1019 - 245K
  • atoxicatoxic Posts: 124

If the task is not rigging but to move the origin point:  there was a script  "Move Origin" by Delta x1 which does the job quite nicely, and there is a script by mCasuals "mcjcangeorientation" to set the rotation axis at https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjchangeorientation ; (Thanks to mCasual for all the gorgeous scripts).

I think both scripts are mentioned in other Daz discussion. Both work well and there might be other scripts which will have similar effects.
    For me rigging is a great method to move parts of a complex mesh-system,if you have only something like a single door I feel that moving the point of origin is quite more satisfactory.

Nice days and nice renders

• Ascania said:

DAZ studio does not support local space pivots only world space so the door would need to actually load at the 0,base on y-axis,0 coordinates on the hinge then be parented to the doorways as a smart prop.

Okay, let's make it clearer. D|S does not support importing local space pivot in an .obj.

Sorry, I missed this. As far as I am aware OBJ does not support recirding local space pivot of an object, at least in general (I suppose some applications may have a custom modification of the format for their own use).

• Pfunkyfize - Have you found a solution ?

• Pfunkyfize - Have you found a solution ?

Sorry I missed these responses I am checking them out when I get home!

• Lets say you made the door in Hex and send it to DS using bridge. Next, select the door is scene tab and go to Tools menu - Joint Editor. Two (green and red) gizmos will appear. Position the green one in top corner and red one at bottom corner. Switch to universal manipulator tool and now Y rotation parameter is your open / close door rotation. Save the door as figure/prop (File - Save As - Support Asset - Figure/Prop Assets...

Thanks I will give this a whirl!

• atoxic said:

If the task is not rigging but to move the origin point:  there was a script  "Move Origin" by Delta x1 which does the job quite nicely, and there is a script by mCasuals "mcjcangeorientation" to set the rotation axis at https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjchangeorientation ; (Thanks to mCasual for all the gorgeous scripts).

I think both scripts are mentioned in other Daz discussion. Both work well and there might be other scripts which will have similar effects.
    For me rigging is a great method to move parts of a complex mesh-system,if you have only something like a single door I feel that moving the point of origin is quite more satisfactory.

Nice days and nice renders

I will definitely check these out, I am sorry I missed all these great suggestions