GeForce vs. Quadro (Nvidia)

Does anyone here have experiences with Nvidia GeForce and Quadro cards? According to this article (https://www.3d-board.de/wcf/sc-dereferer/?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.engineering.com%2FDesignSoftware%2FDesignSoftwareArticles%2FArticleID%2F18630%2FWhats-the-Difference-Between-GeForce-and-Quadro-Graphics-Cards.aspx&source=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.3d-board.de%2Fthread%2F34498-geforce-oder-quadro%2F%3FpostID%3D312800%23post312841) quadro cards work better with 3D Software and perform more accurate calculations.

Does DAZ Studio work better with Quadro cards or GeForce cards? Or is this a matter of the proper driver?

If you compare the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti with the Quadro RTX 5000, you get 4352 CUDA cores with the 2080, but only 11 GB of VRAM, whereas the 5000 has 16 GB VRAM, but only 3072 CUDA cores. If DS only uses the CUDA cores and no special RTX- or TURING abilities, then the 2080 probably is the smarter choice.

Any other thoughts or guidelines?

Comments

• Can't read German and the site seems sketchy af.

GeForce and Quadro cards generally have the same or very similar GPU chips. For instance the 2080ti and the RTX Titan use slight variations of the TU-102 chips. So do the Quadro RTX 6000 and 8000. I strongly doubt there is asignificant HW difference between these chips.

iRay definitely uses RT cores. i think tensor cores might be used in the denoiser but I've never been able to find a clear statement.

• Can't read German and the site seems sketchy af.

GeForce and Quadro cards generally have the same or very similar GPU chips. For instance the 2080ti and the RTX Titan use slight variations of the TU-102 chips. So do the Quadro RTX 6000 and 8000. I strongly doubt there is asignificant HW difference between these chips.

iRay definitely uses RT cores. i think tensor cores might be used in the denoiser but I've never been able to find a clear statement.

Yes, the Denoiser using Tensor cores been true for quite a while - possibly since it was added to DS, certainly before the RTX cores were used.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

@thilion

If you're concerned about the VRAM in the RTX 2080TI vs the Quadro RTX 5000, you could always get the RTX Titan, ~ same CUDA cores as the RTX 2080TI and more VRAM than either of the other cards for only a few hundred more USD.

• First: I'm so sorry about the link. I didn't realize that is was a forwarding link from that German forum. For those who want to read the original:

https://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/18630/Whats-the-Difference-Between-GeForce-and-Quadro-Graphics-Cards.aspx

Now, thank you for your comments. Maybe in the US the Titan RTX is only a few hundred USD more than the RTX 2080, but in Germany it is almost twice the price, so for more VRAM but the same CUDA cores that price difference wasn't worth it for me. I opted to have a second RTX 2080 eventually, using that special Nvidia bridge for those cards.

Can DS (v 4.12) work with two RTX 2080 cards?

• fastbike1 said:

@thilion

If you're concerned about the VRAM in the RTX 2080TI vs the Quadro RTX 5000, you could always get the RTX Titan, ~ same CUDA cores as the RTX 2080TI and more VRAM than either of the other cards for only a few hundred more USD.

Really? Everywhere I've checked, the Titan RTX is twice the cost of the 2080ti.

• thilion said:

First: I'm so sorry about the link. I didn't realize that is was a forwarding link from that German forum. For those who want to read the original:

https://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/18630/Whats-the-Difference-Between-GeForce-and-Quadro-Graphics-Cards.aspx

Now, thank you for your comments. Maybe in the US the Titan RTX is only a few hundred USD more than the RTX 2080, but in Germany it is almost twice the price, so for more VRAM but the same CUDA cores that price difference wasn't worth it for me. I opted to have a second RTX 2080 eventually, using that special Nvidia bridge for those cards.

Can DS (v 4.12) work with two RTX 2080 cards?

DS can work with any number of graphics cards but it cannot combine VRAM. Do not bother buying an NVLink bridge.

• DS can work with any number of graphics cards but it cannot combine VRAM. Do not bother buying an NVLink bridge.

Oh, I didn't know that the NVLink bridge isn't necessary. I thought that the hardware-/operating-system needs that bridge in order to make the cards work at all. I'll read more about it.

• thilion said:
    DS can work with any number of graphics cards but it cannot combine VRAM. Do not bother buying an NVLink bridge.

Oh, I didn't know that the NVLink bridge isn't necessary. I thought that the hardware-/operating-system needs that bridge in order to make the cards work at all. I'll read more about it.

For consumer Turing cards the NVLink is essentially a more expensive SLI bridge. To make it work the cards have to exactly the same. iRay doesn't need SLI or NVLink, and Nvidia itself says SLI may hinder rendering. All the data is just passed over the PCIE bus no high speed communication between the cards is needed.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Sorry, forgot to clarify. Afew handred more than the Quadro.

fastbike1 said:

@thilion

Really? Everywhere I've checked, the Titan RTX is twice the cost of the 2080ti.