Novica, Serene Night, & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 3

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    http://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-clothing-control

Does anyone have this? Some of the Optitex stuff is really neat- but I am assuming this plug in is needed. What's the reputation of this product?

I don't have any optitex stuff. I found it frustrating to use. =-( The content I've seen in promo renders hasn't done anything for me. Looks a bit flat to me.

Szark said:
    Invited Guest Contributor

Daz Studio comes with a Basic Dynamic Clothing Control so you can use Dynamic Clothing without the Advanced Plug-in as mentioned.

Wow! What beautiful renders! Thanks for posting. =-) I like the ghost render. Very evocative. Particularly the ghost one.

Szark said:
    He is my first ever animated drape.

Cute! I love the Nosfearatu reading the paper. And the paper is really cool. =-)

First review will be Deacon for Michael 5 by vyktohria

For those who know me a little, know I have a preference for rendering male figures.!

Nice job with Deacon. One of my favorites. Really nice realistic skin. Works well on m6 too, and I use his teeth for other characters, because as Novica astutely pointed out, they are less denture-y.

Dream Home: The Study
    Dream Home: The Study Furniture
    Baby For Genesis

Baby Chuckles? LOL. Great minds think alike. I was thinking of doing the baby as well, since it is Christmas afterall. I admit I bought the baby with high hopes, but had some difficulty posing him/her in a believable way and with his head. I would've loved a baby and parent pack, or an updated baby who is less... prescient. I think the thing with babies is they need a baby expression set and some downy hair.

He looks good crawling out the door of the room

The baby is also useful for making toddlers if you don't have Zev's morphs. =-)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 2013

Novica said:

Need someone to tell me the difference in AOIBL (which I used) and IBL. You get both light options with Barn Yard.

Generally when I see that I see Poser IBL presets. What is means is AO = Ambient Occlusion plus IBL (Image Based Lighting or HDRI) and I would presume the IBL only would be Ambient light only but not conversed with Poser I cannot be sure.
    Post edited by Szark on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

SereneNight thank you

edited December 1969

Okay, well, new stuff in the store now! I bought the broken glass window prop. Sarge is just going to have to have an action scene with that. =-) But it will have to wait for me to take care of some projects first.

Also picked up this:

http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-earrings-collection

Always looking for male accessories, and lots of Sci-fi application with this.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you Novica, It’s a nice tread :-)

Invited Guest Contributors

Backdrops Made Easy ( http://www.daz3d.com/backdrops-made-easy
    Stone Accents – Fences ( http://www.daz3d.com/stone-accents-fences
    3D Universe's Toon Baby (bear) http://www.daz3d.com/3d-universe-s-toon-baby
    Growing Up for Genesis2 Female(s) and V6 ( http://www.daz3d.com/growing-up-for-genesis2-female-s-v6
    Ron's Edge Grunge ( http://www.daz3d.com/rons-edge-grunge
    Casual Sexy Poses for Genesis 2 Female(s) ( http://www.daz3d.com/animations-poses/casual-sexy-poses-for-genesis-2-female-s
    Plantz ( http://www.daz3d.com/plantz
    Renderd with Luxus ( http://www.daz3d.com/luxus
    Thats what I used in this render The clothes and skin are not from Daz
    I love Growing Up for Genesis2 Female(s) and V6 because you can scale Gen 2 to a small child to an older teen.

Ballet.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 489K
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Beautiful render Sasje.

edited December 2013

Today’s Review is:

Gentleman’s Wardrobe
    Aave Nainen
    http://www.daz3d.com/a-gentleman-s-wardrobe

Other Content:
    Backdrop:
    Fantasy scenes and Lights
    http://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-scene-and-lights

I’ve had this one on my wishlist since it hit the store. It just looked very cool, and I always have a need for men’s clothing, especially clothing which looks believable and realistic, which this one does.

This set has 3 pieces. A shirt/pants combo and a jacket and jacket prop. Each piece has many mat zones so you can colorize It as you please. It contains a few morphs to adjust the fit of the clothing, and pose controls on the clothing for the outfit to match the base male poses that come with genesis 2 basic male. These pose add some nice wrinkles and definition to the outfit and match the pose. These poses can also be useful if you want to try to morph the suit for other poses.

Coloring the outfit is simple with any set of fabric shaders. I did experiment with colors and textures for this set, but decided I still liked it best dark.

I like the set and found it rendered well, but I found for poses like sitting and kneeling, it could use a few more morphs, particularly in the front of the jacket which clips with the pants if you are not careful or standing and kneeling positions. For some reason I cannot see any pose controls besides adjusting the length of the jacket to deal with sitting pose. I would like a few more adjustment morphs to make this easier. (If they exist please point 'em out, because it is always possible I am not seeing it). Also, of course . Would also love an expansion pack! Perhaps with accessories, like shoes, socks and moveable tie, and nice gold chain and watch!

Overall, nice product. Like the way it renders. =-)

1. Sarge, in an extreme pose with an extreme bod, looks good in the suit.
    2. Close up… This is actually a gen5 character fitted using Genesis 2 Male Clone for genesis. The suit fit well, and looked great I thought.
    3. Back to M6, colorized shirt, and adjustments made to the jacket.

better-1.jpg
    994 x 852 - 379K
    Shaun-m5.jpg
    871 x 842 - 472K
    Sarge-1.jpg
    852 x 852 - 319K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Very cute render Sasje. Good to have you here! Your kids are always adorable, clever idea to use the G2F pose on her.

Aave Nainen's outfits always look so good, great to see her new menswear featured, SereneNight. One day I'll no longer be able to resist the pull of Genesis 2. When that day comes... it will be some consolation to know my men will be well-dressed (if these 3 cool dudes are anything to go by). Don't suppose you remember who the gen5 character was?

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you anikad and Jindi

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

IGC's- about to do two major threads in The Commons. If you have renders that are ready, am inviting the public to post their renders on the products you've done. This thread is restricted to the IGC's and it will be nice to let the other forum members post their renders so they can participate, but they're following your lead. (No pressure- evil cackle.) This still does NOT mean that you can't showcase something that has already been done- by all means do so!

It's going to be made clear that the posts are to reflect their experiences. You all post beautifully written reviews and set a very good example on how to do it, so this should be fun. I hope this is okay with everyone- it will provide more attention to your wonderful work. I do not want to move this thread to The Commons- I really want to keep only links to the actual the reviews out in Commons, and our chit chat here.

One thread will catalog the products, that is a non-posting thread for me only. This will help you IGC's (aka The Showcase Team) if you're wondering what has been done. Expect that I won't be posting many renders for the near future so I can get this up and running- a LOT of admin work. I identified SereneNight as the co-host and the team of contributors. The sister thread will link to your posts (get ready to be in the spotlight in The Commons) and ask the community to share their renders/opinions. I want to get more attention to the Art Studio section as a whole- folks still do not know we are here. They will after this goes live later tonight. I am starting with everything posted so far ON THIS THREAD. Will be gone this afternoon and headed out the door. Any major concerns? I don't want to do anything you are not comfortable with, this is take charge of the product reviews per se and keep it organized. It needs to be done. However, doing it this way separates this thread from a free for all type environment.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Product Review
    And a combination of look at what I did and why. :)

Second part first: It began when I got an urge to render a woman of India. But I couldn't find anything that I felt really fit the bill. So I decided to make my own. I looked at many reference photos of Indian women, then I closed my eyes and tried to imagine what my model should look like.
    I loaded Genesis 2 Basic Female and began working with the head morph sliders until I came as close as I could to my vision.

Now the review part. :)
    1. For the hair I used Persephone Hair for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    http://www.daz3d.com/persephone-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s
    This is a very good long straight hair parted down the middle (which seemed to be a traditional hairstyle in my references). The front hair can be moved over the shoulders; there is a nice headpiece which can be used or left off, and parts of which can be hidden by selecting surfaces and turning Opacity to zero.
    2. For the textures I used FWEJ Sayuri
    http://www.daz3d.com/fwej-sayuri
    This is a beautiful Asian character for G2F in her own right but her textures had a choice of make-ups and the very dark eye textures I needed.
    I used Dimension Theory's Subsurface Toolbox to give the texture the skin tones I was after, also adding a dark color to the Diffuse channel of the skin areas. I also thought she would like a bindi. :)

So here she is! I call her Rani. :)
    If you would like see more detailed versions of the images below, they are in the Gallery at these links:
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/17530
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/17531

Rani_CU_thread.jpg
    667 x 800 - 203K
    Rani_thread.jpg
    667 x 800 - 191K
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Beautiful render Sasje.

+1
    edited December 1969

I posted that before I saw your last post, Novica. It sounds like a great idea, should be fun. :)

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Jindi.

MelanieL, it amazes me you haven't won or placed in RRRR. I vote for something of your almost every time. I love your subtle humor. I am glad you participate for the fun as that is what it is about.

Hi Szark. Good to see your renders here and thanks for info about Dynamic Clothing Control. I use the basic one sometimes and kind of like it but haven't gotten the Advanced Plug-in. It says it will make thicker cloth as well as lighter weight. I guess that would be noticeable in how it drapes. That appeals to me. Does anyone have a render of thick cloth?

Estroyer, nice review and renders of Deacon. I passed him by when the model came out and now he is either going in my cart or wishlist. (This thread is a dangerous place!)

Sasje, your children are always wonderful. This one is awesome!

Serene Night, thanks for reviewing Gentleman’s Wardrobe. I am still on the fence about it, but I like your renders, especially the 2nd one, which, groan, uses yet another product (Genesis 2 Male Clone for genesis) I have to wishlist. The shirt collar is unusually nice, high enough and fairly close to the neck. I am wondering though about the bottom of the jacket in the last render - I wish somebody could get a jacket to hang right at the hips instead of clinging in weird ways.

edited December 2013

Luci45 said:
    thanks for reviewing Gentleman’s Wardrobe. I am still on the fence about it, but I like your renders, especially the 2nd one, which, groan, uses yet another product (Genesis 2 Male Clone for genesis) I have to wishlist. The shirt collar is unusually nice, high enough and fairly close to the neck. I am wondering though about the bottom of the jacket in the last render - I wish somebody could get a jacket to hang right at the hips instead of clinging in weird ways.

The clone works so far very well. Haven't tested it thoroughly, but I like what I see. =-) Given that I'm still not into Michael 6's facial features I need to be able to use my gen5 characters with the gen 6 wardrobe helps me broaden my wardrobe options for men.

I think the set is good. I kind of wish there was less concentration on making the set work with specific poses and instead there were more general 'fit morphs' to move the jacket, open the collars, and allow for poses like sitting and movement. The price also seems a touch high to me. I'm still satisfied with the product, as it looks good and is the best male suit I own, but I do think there are some things I'd like which would make it more useful.

I've uploaded a slightly different render of the final image with less dialed morphs. The problem with image 3 is that I use adjustment morphs to widen the jacket because the fit didn't look good.. In general, I think jackets like this should be more roomy and square in shape, and in some positions it look clingy and not like a blazer. To get around that I made it a bit bigger and wider and used some morphs designed for other poses. Anyway, there really isn't a way to adjust it that I can see short of making it longer or shorter or using some morphs designed for default genesis male poses. Would love an 'adjust jacket hem' morph. =-) Thanks for the comments.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Novica said:

Need someone to tell me the difference in AOIBL (which I used) and IBL. You get both light options with Barn Yard.

Generally when I see that I see Poser IBL presets. What is means is AO = Ambient Occlusion plus IBL (Image Based Lighting or HDRI) and I would presume the IBL only would be Ambient light only but not conversed with Poser I cannot be sure.Actually my friend ArtCo does both versions in DS lighting. AOIBL and IBL versions. But yes one is with the extra AO settings and the other is without.
  • Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Today’s Review is:

Gentleman’s Wardrobe
    Aave Nainen
    http://www.daz3d.com/a-gentleman-s-wardrobe

Other Content:
    Backdrop:
    Fantasy scenes and Lights
    http://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-scene-and-lights

I’ve had this one on my wishlist since it hit the store. It just looked very cool, and I always have a need for men’s clothing, especially clothing which looks believable and realistic, which this one does.

This set has 3 pieces. A shirt/pants combo and a jacket and jacket prop. Each piece has many mat zones so you can colorize It as you please. It contains a few morphs to adjust the fit of the clothing, and pose controls on the clothing for the outfit to match the base male poses that come with genesis 2 basic male. These pose add some nice wrinkles and definition to the outfit and match the pose. These poses can also be useful if you want to try to morph the suit for other poses.

Coloring the outfit is simple with any set of fabric shaders. I did experiment with colors and textures for this set, but decided I still liked it best dark.

I like the set and found it rendered well, but I found for poses like sitting and kneeling, it could use a few more morphs
    , particularly in the front of the jacket which clips with the pants if you are not careful or standing and kneeling positions. For some reason I cannot see any pose controls besides adjusting the length of the jacket to deal with sitting pose. I would like a few more adjustment morphs to make this easier. (If they exist please point 'em out, because it is always possible I am not seeing it). Also, of course . Would also love an expansion pack! Perhaps with accessories, like shoes, socks and moveable tie, and nice gold chain and watch!

Overall, nice product. Like the way it renders. =-)

1. Sarge, in an extreme pose with an extreme bod, looks good in the suit.
    2. Close up… This is actually a gen5 character fitted using Genesis 2 Male Clone for genesis. The suit fit well, and looked great I thought.
    3. Back to M6, colorized shirt, and adjustments made to the jacket.

Thanks for the positive review Serene Night........as you may or may not know the whole premise of my creations is the super realism I strive for. Unfortunately the only way this can be obtained in conforming clothing is to create morphs that are specific to a given pose....... the pose morphs can be very helpful in adding realism to poses not part of the basic set however (just dialing the morph for a similar pose in part way for instance). Male clothing in general seems to be a little better at working on different poses and character shapes (females have "bumps" that hinder this lol) I included a custom seated pose for G2M and the corresponding morph MIU-07.....try dialing this morph for your seated poses........at the very least it should help get rid of the bulge at the knees. I really wanted the dress slacks to have the loose fitting knife pleat legs for that realistic look........skin tight legs are so much easier...sigh......

The good news is.......I am creating additional morph packs for this set that will work with other pose and/or character sets. There are simply too many possibilities to include all in one product. I hope to release a couple of these morph sets in January. One set to match the "Manly" poses for M6 and another for a yet to be released figure. I also have a Genesis version of this set in the works...........Again like all of my products with the exception of adjustment and fit morphs the included pose/draping morphs are specific to the corresponding poses.

Once again thanks for the good review and I'm happy you are enjoying the set!

Aave

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 2013

Invited Guest Contributor: Trish Ladies this is Silas for -M4 by gypsyangel..... http://www.daz3d.com/fast-grab-3d-models/silas-m4 I pictured him here with Historical curls
    Compatible 3D figures: M4, M4Elite, Hiro4, Freak4.......Daz or Poser.....Required products: M4 Morphs++
    I needed a new man for my runtime one with face hair and he was too good for me to pass up..He also has tats on both arms and a face painted option....He looks good in tall boots also.

SILAS_M4.jpg
    1367 x 1367 - 671K
    Silas1.jpg
    1000 x 1647 - 921K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

There's been a lot of discussion of these products here and in other threads. I'll just say that anything that makes for more compatibility between products of different generations gets a thumbs-up from me. So among my Top Ten Tools:

- Genesis 2 clones and Gen4 iconic morphs
    (including Genesis 2 Female Clone for Genesis, Genesis 2 Male Clone for Genesis, Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female, and Michael 4 for Genesis 2 Male...plus there are others that probably belong here as well, but I haven't bought them yet). And though I haven't bought anything for Dawn yet, those who are working on, or have released, similar products for that figure deserve mention, too.

- Sickle Rigging and Morphing System (see official discussion thread here) Can take some effort but often yields amazing results.

edited December 1969

Interesting- at 9:45p Central Time: Not sure if you can see this too- Actual Hair Genesis is $2.95 in the cart.
    http://www.daz3d.com/actual-hair-genesis

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I can't see it.

hair_1.jpg
    771 x 357 - 91K
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Interesting- at 9:45p Central Time: Not sure if you can see this too- Actual Hair Genesis is $2.95 in the cart.
    http://www.daz3d.com/actual-hair-genesis

Could it be all your awesome discounts? It is ringing 13.98 in my cart.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 2013

Well this is strange my price goes up....
    ok it went back down to 13.28

ah.jpg
    298 x 214 - 42K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

The cart does not show auto discounts, your check out should.

edited December 2013

tjohn said:

Product Review
    And a combination of look at what I did and why. :)

Nice combo of non-standard female facial features. I think you achieved a nice look. I swear tJohn, you have a future making character morphs! You should go for it. =-)

Jindi said:
    Very cute render Sasje.Don't suppose you remember who the gen5 character was?

He is one of my favorites: that is Shaun, who is a combo of Gabriel and James with some morphs to give him the ears, claws and fangs. =-) The skin was not available last time I checked but used to be sold on rendo and is one of my favorites for M4. PD Leo. I use it for both Shaun and Ruin. Ruin's skin has the leopard spots. Overall skin looks great on M5, but some problem areas in the eyelashes and elbows, but nothing I cannot deal with. Can't wait to try bringing the character over to Gen6. So far, the head isn't as doable as I would like. Even though I've learned to clone the Gen 5 base shape, it just doesn't look the same. =-(

Sasje said:
    Thank you Novica, It’s a nice tread :-)

Very sweet expression on that little girl. I like her teddy too! =-)

[The good news is.......I am creating additional morph packs for this set that will work with other pose and/or character sets. There are simply too many Once again thanks for the good review and I'm happy you are enjoying the set!

Aave

I'm excited by the possibility of an expansion. I think it is the best male business suit I own so far. While I admit I am hankering for a morph to move the drape of the front of the jacket for kneeling poses, I'll take your suggestion and check out the base poses and see if something works in a pinch. Great work! I'm a fan. Can't wait to see what you make next.=-)

Invited Guest Contributor: Trish Ladies this is Silas for -M4 by gypsyangel..... http://www.daz3d.com/fast-grab-3d-models/silas-m4 I pictured him here with Historical curls.

thanks for showing that Trish! I like Silas. lovely eyes, nice eye colors and cool options for facial paint. The skin transfers well to gen 5, too.

edited December 1969

Although I am at 50%, on the product page it states the correct 26% off (it was $14.76) then went into my cart and said $2.95 and stayed that way. I got a great deal apparently because I just tried it again and it was $14.76 now. I'll do a copy/paste of my order page-

Actual Hair Genesis download 4 download & install } 14917
    $19.95

Casual Denim 2 download 4 download & install } 17145
    $21.95

Casual Denim 2 Xtra download 4 download & install } 17146
    $7.95

Subtotal $49.85
    Discount -$35.84
    Grand Total $14.01

$49.85 (full price) minus 26% ($12.96) is 36.89. I am at 50% snowball. So that would be $18.45. (It does not matter what you do first, the 26% or the 50%)

$18.45 (what the total should have been) MINUS $14.01 (my total that I paid) is off by $4.44 (which was the hair.) It is $14.76 at 26%, and half of that should have been $7.38.
    (Half of 14.76) $7.38- $4.44 (the difference in what I paid vs what I should have) is the $2.94 (showed $2.95)

Yippee for me, I knew I wasn't going crazy. As if 50% weren't good enough...

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The cart does not show auto discounts, your check out should.

I do see the $5.19 discount.

hair_1.jpg
    228 x 298 - 14K
    edited December 2013

I'm in the Same boat as Bullit, mine shows two prices until I get to check out. Then I see the proper price with all applied. As shown here...

ah.jpg
    298 x 214 - 42K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Here's a fun image I just did, using all but two daz products. I have to do a number of small sci-fi banners that are fairly low res. I am enjoying learning photoshop and improving my knowledge of post work. Some of these products, such as Deviney's are a great place to start!

Atmospheric Effects- (fog)
    Aircraft Colo- (3 distant craft)
    Ron's Sci-Fi Optical Brushes- (Flare on the pole-arm, numbers and alien language overlay)
    Future Wilderness-(alien uniform)
    Air-Worlds- (large floating city)
    Tech Staves

http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio
    http://www.daz3d.com/aircraft-colo
    http://www.daz3d.com/rons-sci-fi-optical-flares
    http://www.daz3d.com/future-wilderness
    http://www.daz3d.com/air-worlds
    http://www.daz3d.com/tech-staves

Iradian- Alien (Dario Pesce)
    Space Brushes- Big Moon (Whisper Media)

final-banner2.jpg
    815 x 315 - 207K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm in the Same boat as Bullit, mine shows two prices until I get to check out. Then I see the proper price with all applied. As shown here...

And I remember when I added mine to the cart, it showed the $2.95 where yours shows $13.98. I did a double take and opened the cart up, and it stayed $2.95. Wonder what the heck is going on. Guess it was a five minute glitch.

SereneNight- be sure to go to 3dBuzz.com and watch the videos on Photoshop (go to Training section) He will show you some cool tricks. He starts at the basics and each video is labeled so you can go to whatever section you need to start at- but little tips are in each one so I didn't skip any. Zac is a superb teacher.

I like your floating city- with the vehicles in the distant sky, nice touch!

This discussion has been closed.