November 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Materials

1235»

Comments

• dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited November 2019

L'Adair said:

Coryllon said:

I get graininess is a factor of how much light I let in, but at 1500 lumens and 900% intensity that should allow for everything I need, that said I did at 10X as much light at 900%, so we'll see what that has (SHOULD even out to 135,000 lumens... more than enough. If likely won't render in time so I'm submitting an image, inhanced in post, that I DOO like. I'm adding a few things if I finish in time on the next version. 

So the character has been re-materialed, and surfaces on ALL of her clothing have been surfaced, and the bow next to her has had its surfaced tweaked to show up better. I am TRYING to upload it, but after I touched it up these forums will no longer accept it so it might be a moot point. Nothing I do will let me add the picture, PNG, JPG no difference, can't add to gallery, I'd have to upload this to a third party and link it here, which is against the rules. 

stop with the intencity. get it back to 100% and change the lumens to 100.000 then do a test render (720) you'll see a marked difference 1500 barely shows up as a candle flame.tweek it in 10k +/- increments

a;so render quality goes from 0-10,000 default is 1   I don';t even drop the quality below 5000 any more it definitely increases render times but I happen to like crisp results on some of the more involved scenes.

the latest one i posted rendered for 18 hrs @ 10,000 quality with a completion of 0% its likely that to get it to 100% would be in the region of 100+ hrs which I wont lock the comp up for that long but a quick despecle works just fine to clean it up at that level of completion (wont always work)

I just turn Quality Enable to Off.

I also set Max Time to 0 (zero) which effectively turns that Stop Condition off as well.

With both of those parameters turned off, Max Samples is the only Stop Condition. I'll set that low for test renders, and high, (or very high,) for final renders. (DS loads my default scene with these settings, and Max Samples at 15K.)

i prefer to set times simply because i have so many projects in the queue. having renders on infinity till they max out is a bit of a gamble on some of these simple sets will just blow through but I'd really hate to see just how long 15k iterations of the citynight scene would have been. currently building a pretty involved house because the ones i have simply don't work for the scenario i'm working on not to mention too many mistakes where textures can't be changed without changing items i don't want to.

L'Adair said:

Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

L'Adair said:

Coryllon said:

I get graininess is a factor of how much light I let in, but at 1500 lumens and 900% intensity that should allow for everything I need, that said I did at 10X as much light at 900%, so we'll see what that has (SHOULD even out to 135,000 lumens... more than enough. If likely won't render in time so I'm submitting an image, inhanced in post, that I DOO like. I'm adding a few things if I finish in time on the next version. 

So the character has been re-materialed, and surfaces on ALL of her clothing have been surfaced, and the bow next to her has had its surfaced tweaked to show up better. I am TRYING to upload it, but after I touched it up these forums will no longer accept it so it might be a moot point. Nothing I do will let me add the picture, PNG, JPG no difference, can't add to gallery, I'd have to upload this to a third party and link it here, which is against the rules. 

stop with the intencity. get it back to 100% and change the lumens to 100.000 then do a test render (720) you'll see a marked difference 1500 barely shows up as a candle flame.tweek it in 10k +/- increments

a;so render quality goes from 0-10,000 default is 1   I don';t even drop the quality below 5000 any more it definitely increases render times but I happen to like crisp results on some of the more involved scenes.

the latest one i posted rendered for 18 hrs @ 10,000 quality with a completion of 0% its likely that to get it to 100% would be in the region of 100+ hrs which I wont lock the comp up for that long but a quick despecle works just fine to clean it up at that level of completion (wont always work)

I also set Max Time to 0 (zero) which effectively turns that Stop Condition off as well.

With both of those parameters turned off, Max Samples is the only Stop Condition. I'll set that low for test renders, and high, (or very high,) for final renders. (DS loads my default scene with these settings, and Max Samples at 15K.)

i prefer to set times simply because i have so many projects in the queue. having renders on infinity till they max out is a bit of a gamble on some of these simple sets will just blow through but I'd really hate to see just how long 15k iterations of the citynight scene would have been. currently building a pretty involved house because the ones i have simply don't work for the scenario i'm working on not to mention too many mistakes where textures can't be changed without changing items i don't want to.

It fits my workflow, though with 4.12, I'll be able to drop down the Max Samples considerably.

While I normally set Max Time to 0, it is equally easy to set Max Samples very high and use Max Time as the Stop Condition. Either way, you have more control over the length of the render than when Quality Enable is set to On. Although as Iray and DS continue to evolve, it may became less of an issue.

I have a GTX 1080, and I've been known to render 30+ hours to get the look I want. Heart of Winter was close to 36 hours. All those snow shaders on 35 or so geometry shells, plus the Iray Blizzard prop slowed things down to a crawl. (And that wasn't 15K samples, either!) I usually just let an image render while I sleep, and then change the Max Samples to something not quite reached if I like how things look when I get up. (If I need to do any spot renders, knowing the exact number of samples can come in handy.)

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited November 2019

This is my final version I have repositioned the blue lights to get some shadows on the window on the right. I also changed the colour of the guy's T shirt

Nightclubfinal.jpg
    890 x 711 - 158K
    Post edited by sueya on

sueya said:

This is my final version I have repositioned the blue lights to get some shadows on the window on the right. I also changed the colour of the guy's T shirt

Much much better well done!

• L'Adair said:

L'Adair said:

Coryllon said:

It fits my workflow, though with 4.12, I'll be able to drop down the Max Samples considerably.

While I normally set Max Time to 0, it is equally easy to set Max Samples very high and use Max Time as the Stop Condition. Either way, you have more control over the length of the render than when Quality Enable is set to On. Although as Iray and DS continue to evolve, it may became less of an issue.

I have a GTX 1080, and I've been known to render 30+ hours to get the look I want. Heart of Winter was close to 36 hours. All those snow shaders on 35 or so geometry shells, plus the Iray Blizzard prop slowed things down to a crawl. (And that wasn't 15K samples, either!) I usually just let an image render while I sleep, and then change the Max Samples to something not quite reached if I like how things look when I get up. (If I need to do any spot renders, knowing the exact number of samples can come in handy.)

UGH really need the ability to kill off all the extra quotes it just gets too buggered up.

Max time gives me the "It'll be as good as its going to get" the other setting could be at infinity I've been surprised at times when a scene turns out to be IRAY friendly and it hits 100% in such a short time I can't believe it did it even though I tossed 50k seconds on them. some projects simply don't need to be better than "that looks good" stuff like war scenes until environment is added then it simply drags on and on regardless

Thank goodness, Black Friday is done and over with. The internet was positively glacial yesterday. I felt like I was back on dial up!

This thread has been silent the last couple of days, and I'm guessing the sluggish internet may have contributed to that. Regardless, you shouldn't have any trouble posting and uploading today, if you have a final version of any image you'd like to include in the challenge.

But don't wait too long. Today is the last day of the month, and the challenge ends at Daz Midnight tonight.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Fairy Friends Abella and Loxy were captured in the wild by the witch Cassandra.  When Cassandra left for awhile Loxy was able to wiggle her stopper and free herself from the bottle but instead of stopping and helping Abella remove her stopper Loxy got curious and wanted to see what the witch was up too.  Abella looks on from her bottle annoyed at Loxy for getting distracted and worried that Cassandra could be back at any minute!

And whom might be the onlooker on the roof?

Final Image for the contest.  Rendered in Daz Studio Iray. Just about every texture/surface has been changed to some degree or another.

This challenge is now closed.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

• ariochsnowpawariochsnowpaw Posts: 147
    edited December 2019

I have not fallen off the face of the earth....it only feels like it.

Busy month but a bit at a time I have gotten an entry together.  Lots of material reworks, geometry shells, alpha masks, ghost lights, and emissives...it's hard to believe how much I've learned this past year.  These challenges are sooo helpful.

Entered just a little too late but I did want to contribute.

Lair of the Gorgon

There was a reason these ruins held unplundered riches

Rendered in Daz Studio with minor postwork in PS.

Lair of the Gorgon sm.jpg
    2125 x 1313 - 832K
    Post edited by ariochsnowpaw on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

November 2019

Showcased Participants for the November Materials Challenge

Reality Doesn't Bite - Given to the person who changed materials in such a way that adds realism to the overall composition.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was Daventaki

Mad Chemist - Given to the person who changed most of the materials in the scene to experiment with the look and feel of the image and created something new and unique.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was Sisyphus1977

Altered Reality - Given to the person that experimented with a material in a way that changed the look or feel of the original piece entirely.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was AZDigitalArtist

New User Welcome

cloth1975

• Awesome!  Congrats everyone, and thanks!

• Congratulations to all the participants and I learned something from each of your submissions as I thought this was a really interesting challenge and will use some new techniques in the future.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Congratulations everyone!!!

• @Linwelly. Sorry about not getting back to this thread real life and alot of things got in the way. forgot i even put this render in the challenge, i think i will use it in next months challenge.