Hair in DS - Conform, parent or fit?

edited December 1969 in New Users

Each time I load hair into DS I am confused as to whether it should be conformed, fitted or "pointed to" or "parented". It seems different types of hair require different kinds of conforming. Can someone please explain the differences? Thanks.

In Poser I can easily fit hair that wasn't designed for the figure. I can simply load it un-conformed, manipulate it on top of the head, scale and translate/rotate then simply lock the hair or then parent it to the head. Is this possible in DS without the hair doing its own thing?

While I'm on this subject can I ask about something else: The small white box with the tiny blue/red arrows for moving or rotating an object is ridiculously small for those of us without 20/20 vision and intricate mouse control. Can I make this control larger on-screen. And secondly, can I make it disappear, because it gets in the way once an object is set. Point lights in particular have an incredibly disturbing box around the light source. While I can see this is useful for quickly adjusting the light, once that is done can that annoying box with its multiple radius lines be got rid of or reduced to a dot or little circle (as with poser)?

Thanks for an advice.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    Each time I load hair into DS I am confused as to whether it should be conformed, fitted or "pointed to" or "parented". It seems different types of hair require different kinds of conforming. Can someone please explain the differences? Thanks.

For the most part if it has bones it's designed to be fitted to the target figure, if not it's to be parented.

In Poser I can easily fit hair that wasn't designed for the figure. I can simply load it un-conformed, manipulate it on top of the head, scale and translate/rotate then simply lock the hair or then parent it to the head. Is this possible in DS without the hair doing its own thing?

Yes.

While I'm on this subject can I ask about something else: The small white box with the tiny blue/red arrows for moving or rotating an object is ridiculously small for those of us without 20/20 vision and intricate mouse control. Can I make this control larger on-screen. And secondly, can I make it disappear, because it gets in the way once an object is set. Point lights in particular have an incredibly disturbing box around the light source. While I can see this is useful for quickly adjusting the light, once that is done can that annoying box with its multiple radius lines be got rid of or reduced to a dot or little circle (as with poser)?

Thanks for an advice.

I don't know of a way to enlarge the widget, but selecting another tool from the Tools menu (such as Node Selection) will remove it.

• Leo ChenLeo Chen Posts: 697
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:

The small white box with the tiny blue/red arrows for moving or rotating an object is ridiculously small for those of us without 20/20 vision and intricate mouse control.

Can not agree with you more!