Is there any 3D program compatible with Daz Studio?

Everybody knows that Daz Studio is a stand-alone 3d software that has no integration with ANY other 3d software (until this question is answered). I'ven been trying to import .fbx and others files extensions (with .mtl library) into Daz, but there is no success at all, Daz does not recognize .mtl library. Actually, Daz does not recognize anything that cames out its world. I already tried to use Blender and its famous "Daz to Blender" community plugin. It works in half, it seems like Daz Studio has some particularities that interfere with connections to another software, even Blender.

What I'm trying to do is make everything I wanna do in Daz Studio, and then export to another software in order to improve the render and complete my entire scene, like import any .fbx file without issue.

I know that Maya has a plugin that imports .ds file fine. Is it work? Any suggestion of software or plugins will help. Thank you!

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

There are people who use Daz Studio as part of their workflow to Unity.  Not me, but here is an example.

https://steemit.com/gamedev/@dwinblood/importing-daz-studio-characters-into-unity-use-them-in-your-game-unoptimized-version

There are people who use Daz Studio as part of their workflow to Blender.  Not me, but here is an example.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/212566/daz-studio-to-blender

There are many people (almost all Daz Studio users, actually) who use Daz Studio as one step in a longer workflow.  Daz Studio is not an all-in-one application.  It does not have a traditional modeler.  It does not have traditional landscaping and environment creation tools.  It does not have traditional 2-d postwork tools.  Almost everyone who uses Daz Studio for an extended period of time combines it with other 3D or 2D art applications.  Personally, for the time being, I use Daz Studio as a free plugin for Carrara.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Everybody knows that Daz Studio is a stand-alone 3d software that has no integration with ANY other 3d software (until this question is answered). I'ven been trying to import .fbx and others files extensions (with .mtl library) into Daz, but there is no success at all, Daz does not recognize .mtl library. Actually, Daz does not recognize anything that cames out its world. I already tried to use Blender and its famous "Daz to Blender" community plugin. It works in half, it seems like Daz Studio has some particularities that interfere with connections to another software, even Blender.

What I'm trying to do is make everything I wanna do in Daz Studio, and then export to another software in order to improve the render and complete my entire scene, like import any .fbx file without issue.

I know that Maya has a plugin that imports .ds file fine. Is it work? Any suggestion of software or plugins will help. Thank you!

I import .OBJs into DAZ all the time and while sometimes the textures don't come in with it, that isn't a problem because you are going to have to redo the textures/material settings anyway for Iray. You are going to have to do way more work seting up materials and such exporting from DS to another program than importing OBJs into DS

• I use Lightwave 9.6 as a modeling application for rooms, furniture, etc.  LIghtwave lets me create objects with precise dimensions and has great tools.  The created objects are then imported into DAZ Studio.  DAZ Studio has preset selection in the Import dialog box for different source applications.  Personally, I texture the object once it is in DAZ Studio so the import of material settings isn't a concern for me.  Individual milage may varyl.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I export FBX out of DS quite a bit for importing into Lightwave as well, but ver. 2019.x. There are quirks as FBX confuses itself at times when it comes to parenting depending on the complexity of the original scene, so I have to manually clean all of that up. OBJ's are easier to use, but you won't get any sort of rigging to come across.

Only the basics of textures get exported in either case, but I have add'l tools for setting up PBR if the maps are available with the original.

Current FBX exporter in DS doesn't want to respect Selected Only and No Hidden either.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

Reallusion's iClone 7 can use DAZ assets, import Genesis figures and, as of version 7.4, supports iRay.  As far as i know, that's the only software company that's made a real effort to incorporate DAZ products at that level.  

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749
    Daz studio also exports To Alembic&MDD(paid addons) Behold.. Daz content rendered in Maxon C4D!!
  • I don't use .fbx but it used to be with .obj files that the .mtl name had to be "one_word" and in the same folder as the .obj file.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited November 2019

You can't make in Studio, beyond combining primitives into something.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Cybersox said:

Reallusion's iClone 7 can use DAZ assets, import Genesis figures and, as of version 7.4, supports iRay.  As far as i know, that's the only software company that's made a real effort to incorporate DAZ products at that level.  

It doesn't import the JCMs, so your carefully, lovingly, painstakingly crafted character is going to look terrible. I don't see how they can say that they "support" Genesis characters.

• Everybody knows that Daz Studio is a stand-alone 3d software that has no integration with ANY other 3d software (until this question is answered). I'ven been trying to import .fbx and others files extensions (with .mtl library) into Daz, but there is no success at all, Daz does not recognize .mtl library. Actually, Daz does not recognize anything that cames out its world. I already tried to use Blender and its famous "Daz to Blender" community plugin. It works in half, it seems like Daz Studio has some particularities that interfere with connections to another software, even Blender.

To get Daz content into Blender, I use Alembic for the meshes, the Diffeomorphic plugin to convert IRay materials to Cycles, and a simple script to reapply them. The process is a little convoluted, but it does work.

• wolf359 said:
    Daz studio also exports To Alembic&MDD(paid addons) Behold.. Daz content rendered in Maxon C4D!!

Hi Wolf,

Your dialog is good and I would like to be able to make it out, but it is very muddled. When Galactus himself speaks, I can't understand hardly a word.

BTW, your modeling is great, Galactus looks epic, so how have you not gotten a C&D yet? :)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited November 2019

I don't use .fbx but it used to be with .obj files that the .mtl name had to be "one_word" and in the same folder as the .obj file.

The .mtl actually doesn't have to be in the same folder, it just has to be in the location specified in the link at the top of the .obj file. This breaks (as it frequently does) when the exporting program uses absolute folder paths for everything instead of relative paths — some exporting programs do it one way, some do it the other. There's at least half a dozen varied and "interesting" ways an obj/mtl file pair can be created in such a way that D|S tosses its electronic cookies on import.

I've got into the habit now of always pulling the files into a text editor to check; usually I can fix all the dud paths in minutes and get a clean, textured D|S import. Unless there's something else wrong somewhere...

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • My question is what are you trying to accomplish? IF it is to make money selling stuff here you are gonna have to put up with how all 3D companies make everything proprietary format so they can keep everything to themselves. IF you are trying to make art I would stick with blender and work in it and use it with the Linux operating system of your choise. Blender runs 2X faster in Linux than Windows 10 which is both a vram and regular ram hog, not to mention running a bunch of useless crapware in the background stealing cpu horsepower and sending telemetry back to MS headquarter about everything you do. IF you are an animator or working towards VR I would also reccomend Blender or Unity or Unreal engine., this software have gaming engines that render in realtime using gaming engines to output stuff fast!!!  Daz studio and Iray is great for 2D images but If your aim is 3D creation you are not going to do that with this software. I would Look to Iclone7 software in particular 3dexchange enterprise editon for moving stuff around. If this is a hobby and not for enterprise I would stick with Blender.

• Like wolf359, I use Cinema 4D and Vray as render engine. As I do mainly stills, I work with the OBJs for the moment. Nevertheless I have to re-create the materials for the characters and apply them.

It would be fun to get an FBX with JCMs to Cinema 4D in order to be able to pose in C4D. I already tried that and it worked, but unfortunately the default bone orientation is ignored by the FBX importer of C4D. The axis system works different as well and I don't get HD stuff with FBX. I can transfer the morphs though and manually add the ERC Links to them. Unfortunately at least G3 has dependencies between joints in the heel area.

I'm still working to get the HD stuff to Displacement maps.

So, yes, they could work fine, but it would require to write a plugin in C4D to natively import the Daz stuff. At least the figure. Maybe I'll do that one day.

What does not work
    - dForce
    - geografts
    and other proprietary Daz stuff.

I assume that all programs will have a problem with the proprietary Daz stuff.

• Really Nice discussions, guys. I'm impressed.

There are some objects that I can't find in Daz Studio, e.g: Military content (weapons, clothes, objects) is rare (but is common to find 3d objects and fbx). Daz assets' makers are focused on erotic, casual and fantasy content. If I could import my character and its clothes to Blender (or other) without issues, I could improve the military accessories, the entire scenario and lots of effects.
    The reason here is a "postwork step", I already came to the Daz limitation for that I wanna do.

It is also a question of repetition, how many times did you see the same clothes with the same characters?

Did you get it? I can do nice renders using the same objects and clothes, but sounds like "that's all folks"... I did not find a way to import obj and its textures into Daz, as well export Daz into Blender.

I already to think Daz Studio was made to work as a stand-alone software aiming to sell its assets and nothing more.

• Cybersox said:

Can you import .ds scene as well as obj and fbx into Carrara without losses?

• My question is what are you trying to accomplish? IF it is to make money selling stuff here you are gonna have to put up with how all 3D companies make everything proprietary format so they can keep everything to themselves. IF you are trying to make art I would stick with blender and work in it and use it with the Linux operating system of your choise. Blender runs 2X faster in Linux than Windows 10 which is both a vram and regular ram hog, not to mention running a bunch of useless crapware in the background stealing cpu horsepower and sending telemetry back to MS headquarter about everything you do. IF you are an animator or working towards VR I would also reccomend Blender or Unity or Unreal engine., this software have gaming engines that render in realtime using gaming engines to output stuff fast!!!  Daz studio and Iray is great for 2D images but If your aim is 3D creation you are not going to do that with this software. I would Look to Iclone7 software in particular 3dexchange enterprise editon for moving stuff around. If this is a hobby and not for enterprise I would stick with Blender.

Just an improvement question. I want to unify 3d universe (fbx and obj) to Daz Studio. I already tried to export Daz to Blender using the plugin mentioned bellow. But the textures goes wrong, not sure if it was because the Blender's render system.

Cybersox said:

Can you import .ds scene as well as obj and fbx into Carrara without losses?

Good - Carrara can read DUF files.  No need to export to fbx, obj, collada dae or other formats.  Genesis and Genesis 2 figures can be loaded directly in Carrara without cycling through Studio.  Daz3D recently added a form of dynamic hair to Studio, which users only have partial control over; meanwhile  Carrara has had dynamic hair for over a decade, and users have complete and direct control of its tools.  Users havecomplete control to "grow" Carrara hair directly on the meshes for Genesis 1, 2, 3, 8 figures and apply dynamics, wind forces, collisions..  A plugin that often costs more than Carrara (depends on sales cycle) can be added to Studio to allow Daz instances to approximte the power of Carrara replicators. 

Bad - Daz no longer supports Carrara.  Eventually, something simple like an operating system update will cause Carrara functions to fail if Daz3D does not change this stance.  They haven't even fixed a typo in the G3 figure files that causes Carrara to crash, even though a Carrara user identified the specific lines for them.   Fortunately, a Carrara user created a solution so G3 and G8 figures can be loaded in Carrara using the DUF format.  Conforming assets must have their rigging converted to blended weight.  That means Carrara still preserves the functionality that comes with DUF that converting to another format (obj, etc.) might lose, but Carrara for G3 and G8 lack the improvements in rigging from blended to DualQ.

It is NOT some sort of shape morph of the G2 figures.   The G3 and G8 figures load in Carrara with Misty's presets.  The JCMs, etc. for G3 and G8 figures work in Carrara.  The G3 and G8 conforming assets work in Carrara with blended weight.  

raphaelmartines, check your PMs.

Another possibility is Poser.  Daz3D Victoria and Michael assets were originally designed for Poser (cr2 format, which Studio used to open natively, still might?).  Many later Daz figures and assets could be used in Poser using DSON format.  I'm not up to date on compatibility of assets in the most recent versions, but folks can find out more in the Poser forums here on the Daz3D site.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/poser-discussion

• When I first started with DAZ Studio the application was still very new.  LIghting options weren't that rhobust.  A lot of the bells ans whistles that we enjoy now had not been developed.  My goal at that time was finding a software package that would provide a better rendering environment with DAZ characters.  As DAZ Studio evolved into the application it is today my workflow changed to DS being the end use application and other software packages supporting it with tasks such as modeling, textures, etc.  

Sure, there are some impressive rendering applications out there.  Honestly, I'm happy with the rendering results that DAZ Studio provides for me.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited November 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGyeXwcxnU&feature=youtu.be     This should satisfy most non-professionals.   I haven't tried it personally, but it looks very promising. Very reasonable price, too.

Post edited by drzap on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,437
    edited November 2019

Everybody knows that Daz Studio is a stand-alone 3d software that has no integration with ANY other 3d software

DAZ studio has limited import capabilities, obj works fine enough, dae and fbx can't import rigs but they're good for meshes. All objects must have a texture applied or they'll not import fine. As for export, obj dae and fbx work fine enough. Or you can use plugins for blender and maya that are better for materials and rigs.

As for the obj importer it can't read a path containing spaces. You need either to edit the mtl file to get the path within quotation marks, or place your textures in a path name without spaces. I submitted a ticket about this issue on August 18, 2017 and it is currently in open state. I guess the daz team gives low priority to the obj importer.

Post edited by Padone on
  • I have used Daz figures in Cinema 4D as well, using the old Riptide obj/mdd importer for the figures, and fbx for props.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICEj4bZwDAo

This is an example using a motion from iClone/3DXChange, imported onto V4, animation finished in Daz (adjustments, hand gestures, blinks etc.) exported as obj & mdd files, rendered in C4D. It works quite well, tho it's a drag that Riptide has not been updated to C4D r20, so I have to use an older version.

Ideally, Daz would come out with the equivalent of PoserFusion, which did a good job of importing Poser/Daz (V4/M4 at least) animations into C4D.

@ Auroratrek, After "Galactus Rising" is released in ,Jan 2020, I am Migrating away from my ancient Mac and C4D as a final render environment... My ,cheaply bought, second hand seat of Lightwave3D 2015 has a Native MDD importer that is superior to Riptide and Lightwaves real time VPR for lookdev while scene building, is nearly a goods as blenders viewport display. My recent .obj /MDD test in Lightwave3D, with my new win10 PC have yielded excellent results with all generations of genesis including G8....fun times ahead.
  • @Wolf, Sounds great! Looking forward to 2020, and tests of your new workflow!

wolf359 said:
    @ Auroratrek, After "Galactus Rising" is released in ,Jan 2020, I am Migrating away from my ancient Mac and C4D as a final render environment... My ,cheaply bought, second hand seat of Lightwave3D 2015 has a Native MDD importer that is superior to Riptide and Lightwaves real time VPR for lookdev while scene building, is nearly a goods as blenders viewport display. My recent .obj /MDD test in Lightwave3D, with my new win10 PC have yielded excellent results with all generations of genesis including G8....fun times ahead.

Ah, good.  Another Waver coming on-line!

@Doc Acme, Thanks!! I have been dabbling in Lightwave on OSX since the version 7 days inspired by the "Starship Troopers chronicles" TV series... Many in the"industry" dismiss it has being "dead" program but it is affordable with No subscription nonsense as Maxon has recently implemented..... For me However it is the excellent MDD importer/handler................. I have looked hard at rendering alternatives to C4D for my Daz Genesis figures and ALL options not based on obj/MDD Failed to meet my standards.for retaining my figure mesh /joint fidelity and ease of use in the other application

When ya can Wolf, jump into the latest 2019, version. I's only painful for a bit but like easing into a hot tub, you'll soon be really glad ya did. Pretty dang stable too.  A number of users started to really squawk about the last 2-3 releases & things happened.

But ya, it's just a trusty, reliable tool.  There are some outright geniuses developing 3rd party stuff that fill in the lackings, but still that's more affordable than anything extor ... subscription ware offers, and just get the utilities that you need.

The Daz to Lightwave path via FBX has drastically imporoved, but still has issues with more complex characters (i.e. a heirarchy, parenting, & instancing. Texturing though I've had pretty good results as long as the original maps are there. I'm slowly getting the hang of what to reparent, etc. to fix things.

Morphs are another story though.

Getting Site Time-Out errors so leave it here for now.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    drzap said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGyeXwcxnU&feature=youtu.be     This should satisfy most non-professionals.   I haven't tried it personally, but it looks very promising. Very reasonable price, too.

I'm tempted to try it after being disappointed with the results from the Diffeomorphic DAZ Importer. If it doesn't cope with geografts, however, it is a non-starter so I need to confirm that first.