Windows 10, any Carrara troubles with it, and Anti-Virus, Happy Face this time

FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471
edited November 2019 in Carrara Discussion

The year 2020 is fast approaching, and Windows 7 will no longer be upgraded as you all know.

I bought a new "not bad" desktop computer a few months ago and it is preloaded with Windows 10. I have been  "chicken" to connect to the Internet with my new desktop because I have read so many conflicting reports about Windows 10 and virus, malware, safety.

According to many reports on Windows 10 it doesn't require Norton Anti-Virus protection because the Microsoft company completely rewrote the virus coding for Windows 10 and now it's built-in Defender is good enough for serious anti virus protection.  Is that true? Do any of you still use Norton with your Windows 10.

Have any of you had troubling issues using Carrara in Windows10. I must admit that I have found no problems yet. However, I haven't used all of Carraras features yet in Windows 10

The only annoying problem I am having with Windows 10 is with the File Manager which runs great for a while and then seems to clog up. To fix that I just restart Windows 10 and I must say it loads up very fast.

My Sony LAPTOP has a Norton Anti-Virus program option for removing temporary files, and file clog clean up. I would like to have that option in Windows 10, but where is it? It must be somewhere. Help!

See, I was nice this time.

Post edited by FONSECA on

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,190

Have any of you had troubling issues using Carrara in Windows10. 

I've been running Carrara in Win10 for a year or more with no problems.  Overall, I haven't noticed much difference between Win7 (on my laptop and an older desktop) and Win10 (newest desktop), but most gurus say win10 is much more secure.  I have run the free version of AVG virus detection for many years, so far no problems .  Also the paid version of Malwarebytes on the two desktops, and the free version on my laptop - the difference is the paid version checks in real time while the free version justs runs a scan when you start it.  I have not heard that Win10 is adequate by itself for virus/malware protection.  

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

My Sony LAPTOP has a Norton Anti-Virus program option for removing temporary files, and file clog clean up. I would like to have that option in Windows 10, but where is it? It must be somewhere. Help!

See, I was nice this time.

easy

• To delete temporary files:
      • In the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup, and select Disk Cleanup from the list of results.

• Select the drive you want to clean up, and then select OK.

• Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.

• Select OK.

• If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:
      • In Disk Cleanup, select Clean up system files.

• Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.

• Select OK.

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471

StezzaKarara

Thanks

I have seen those command options but am frightened that I may erase everything by a mistake. I have done that before in Windows 7, such as erasing my whole "Favorites" file container. I'll save stuff on my hard drives just in case, but there is a lot to save.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Carrara works in Win 10. Antivirus is built-in. Always backup your data, whatever OS you are running.

3drendero

The problem with backing up data is being able to afford plenty of external hard drives, memory cards, USB memory plugs. I am still using hard drives that are over 6 years old, the oldest from 2011. How long do they generally last?

I was stunned to find out that the very small SD Memory Cards can now store somewhere close to 250 GBs. I bought one a few days ago that has about 128 GBs storage space. They are rather inexpensive compared to buying a 1 or 2 TB external hard drive, and especially one of the solid state versions.

Harddrives last between 0 to 10 years, depending on usage and luck. A little bump/drop when using it, kills it. SSDs minimum 3 years with heavy usage (8 hours per day working hard), some up to 3000 years... Survives most bumps and drops.
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

I refuse to give my my Windows 7 beast. I have legacy Creative Suite software that will not work with W10.  I bought a Chromebook for the net.... but am wondering about networking to get DIM to work properly if I buy from my Chromebook.  Obviously Carrara will not load to a Chromebook.  Hmmmm. 

My workaround it to upgrade my machine to W10 and use my husband's W7 laptop for the Adobe Creative Suite legacy software which is also on his machine and then not permit him to use it for the net anymore-- he can use my Chromebook and see his email on webmail vs Windows Live Mail. He rarely uses his laptop for anything but the net, the odd email, and playing solitare!  Hmmm.

frown  Silene

Silene,

I feel the same way and wish I could continue to use Windows 7. Earlier this year I bought a cheap Chromebook thinking it was a bargain laptop. Hah! Was I surprised when I found out that a Chromebook is just a Google surfing gadget. What a letdown and I felt like a dumb chump. I tried it, hated it, and then gave it to my older brother.

The only solution I can think of is to buy a desktop, or a laptop, loaded with Window 7 from a reliable Ebay seller. I would do that if I had some extra money.

Tim

If you have Win 10 Pro, you get a built-in VirtualPC function to run any old app, if it has issues in 10. The old VirtualPC is still available too and the free VirtualBox among others. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-virtual-machine-using-windows-10-hyper-v/
    You can also keep using Win 7 with a decent antivirus suite that protects Windows by adding more security features like ransomware protection. Still needs frequent backups though.
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Silene,

I feel the same way and wish I could continue to use Windows 7. Earlier this year I bought a cheap Chromebook thinking it was a bargain laptop. Hah! Was I surprised when I found out that a Chromebook is just a Google surfing gadget. What a letdown and I felt like a dumb chump. I tried it, hated it, and then gave it to my older brother.

The only solution I can think of is to buy a desktop, or a laptop, loaded with Window 7 from a reliable Ebay seller. I would do that if I had some extra money.

Tim

Actually, you can get an HP that is similar in price and size to the Chromebook.  I did the same thing... I thought my stepson would be happy using Google Docs to do his paperwork, but he's a dyed in wool Microsoft Office user, so had to get him the HP and I kept the Chromebook.  For what I use it for, it's fine. And I can take it on the plane without any aggro on international flights... that was why I kept it.

I thinnk I by next year I will have to decide.  Right now I have some other things on my plate... so they come first.  Still... I know it's inevitable!

Cheers,  Silene indecision

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have been using windows 10 and Carrara since 2015.

The only issue I had was a bac driver from my tablet which took me a while to figure out but I did figure it out by process of eliminiation.

Runs good for me. 

Windows 10 Pro has a version of Hyper-V  similar but not as robust as that found in Server 2012R2 and server 2016 for creating virtual machines and running them on the win 10 box.

I have used it for some Linux machines I was playiing aroudn with.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited February 2021

I've got a bizzare Windows 10 problem.

In the texture screen the down arrow to select a different shader for a shading domain just doesn't do anything. 

For me this is a serious problem as I work with lots of similar shaders which I reconcile down to just one version of it.

I attach a picture to show the screen with the trouble.

[EDIT SOLVED - The issue is due to screen resolution! The max screen resolution Windows 10 can handle for Carrara drop downs is 2560x1600, but at my screens resolution of 3480 x 2160 (which works in Windows 7 (I think)) - it won't allow the drop downs to work - how strange eh? - So my somewhat irritating solution is to drop down a resolution when I want to change shaders for a shding domain.]

[UPDATE - Folder operations, like updating your runtime folders in the content tab will also only work up to resolutions of 2560x1600]

Screen Shot 02-02-21 at 08.16 PM.PNG
    591 x 480 - 74K
    Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • Sci Fi Funk said:

In the texture screen the down arrow to select a different shader for a shading domain just doesn't do anything. 

For me this is a serious problem as I work with lots of similar shaders which I reconcile down to just one version of it.

[EDIT SOLVED - The issue is due to screen resolution! The max screen resolution Windows 10 can handle for Carrara drop downs is 2560x1600, but at my screens resolution of 3480 x 2160 (which works in Windows 7 (I think)) - it won't allow the drop downs to work - how strange eh? - So my somewhat irritating solution is to drop down a resolution when I want to change shaders for a shding domain.]

[UPDATE - Folder operations, like updating your runtime folders in the content tab will also only work up to resolutions of 2560x1600]

I got a 4k monitor last week. I haven't really tried Carrara on it.

But I can confirm the pb with selecting a diferent shader. I have a second monitor which is only HD. If I move Carrara to this one, it works, on the 4k, it doesn't.

If there's no workaround, that will be very annoying for me too. Because I'm not too hopeful daz will correct it. To say the least.

• you may need a second monitor just for Carrara then

Carrara works fine on my Win10 with two 1080p monitors so if I ever manage to afford a nice 4K one I would just have 3 monitors like I used to before one died

Particle Illusion Standalone is the program giving me grief with two monitors since the latest update, it keeps going fullscreen on both

I can fix it dragging and resizing but it does it everytime I open it

• Sci Fi Funk said:

I've been making some tests.

It's possible to make the down arrow to select a different shader to work at a 4k resolution. It is definitely a problem with the 4k resolution being too high for it.

The solution is this : undock the tray (top right button), and brought it on the left.
    From the tests I've made, for the down arrow button to work, it must be at a position below 2560 (width) and 1440 (height), the 0,0 position being upper left corner.
    I've attached a screenshot. As it is, the button corresponding to « InnerMouth » works, but not the « Ear » one below. And if I move the tray just a few pixels on the right, nothing works anymore.
    Not very practical, but at least there's a way to make it work, and it could have been worse.

It seems it's the same with the update runtime folders button. If I bring it below 2560, 1440 (by resizing the trays), it works.

In fact, it's seems there's the same problem with every drop down menus buttons. 'Action' buttons (as opposed to down menu ones) are not affected. For example, in the render room/output tab, selecting the rendering camera or the file format don't work beyond a 2560,1440 position, but the "options" button works.

So, with 4k resolution, undock the right tray and bring it on the left.

Pb shader select 4k.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 386K
  • DGECDGEC Posts: 18

Hi all. I have an updated Windows 10 64bit installation. I used to be able to run Carrara Pro 7.2.0 on Windows 10 but had to reinstall everything.

However, now when I try to open Carrara, the window comes up and immediately fails and exits. Tried all the compatibility settings I could find, but same results.

Any suggestions???

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited February 2021

@MerKhrys - Great work! Thanks for your solution. As you demonstrate, undocking and moving about 40% to the left is enough for the dropdowns to work again. So thanks for finding a solution - saves me darting back and forth in resolution.

I have a further update. On my other machine (which is for general office use, it's a little 8GB ACEPC mini PC), I have just upgraded to a 4K screen - Carrara works fine when the resolution is 3480 x 2160. So maybe it's a motherboard or graphics card issue. My current render PC is from 2013, with a GTX 760 Ti card, the office one will have all the latest drivers / hardware - just not as powerful. I am due to get a new render machine in a month - which will be a new motherboard and at newer graphics card. I'll report back if that has an issue or is ok as well.

@DGEC - A couple of thoughts, sorry I can only think of one thing which you've probably tried - you have presumably run as administrator alongside the compatability settings? Also can I encourage you to upgrade to Carrara 8.5? It's a lot faster to render (native render), has more light types, handles the newer figures, and best of all (in my humble opinion) allows you to run the Octane Render plug-in (it will cost) - take your renders to the next level. I was on C7 for a short while but didn't regret the upgrade (to 8.1) at all. I later went on to 8.5 - the only issue I has was that some of the lighting rigs from the 8.1 scenes needed re-doing.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • DEGC, first try removing any added extensions (don't need to uninstall just move them out the folder) to see if it opens, the Mimic plugin and AniBlock importer plugin are notorious for doing that to me on some builds but it could be any.

• DGECDGEC Posts: 18

Thanks for the suggestions, Carrarians.

@Wendyluvscatz  Hmm... well, I don't have those plugins... so I moved everything out. No change.

@SciFiFunk  Ya, I tried Admin rights. No luck.  I'm sure 8/8.5 would be better, alas, the spare funds for time-wasting hobbies are a bit sparse at present.

In desperation, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch. No luck.

Other older programs from Daz, namely Hexagon, load fine. Hex is kinda buggy though. Still.

The Carrara interface is much cooler :)   Or would be :( 

The only other thing I can think of, is that maybe a recent Windows10 update broke something graphicy. That happened recently with a graphics capture card I have access to. After an update, stopped working.  Maybe one of the newer MS DLLs is taking over but it still worked using an older version. I saw there was one of the redistibuteable runtimes was supposed to be installed. Or maybe one didn't get properly installed for some reason.