Installing without install manager?

FWIWFWIW Posts: 320
edited December 1969 in The Commons

This may seem really stupid but it's been more than a year since I was here so I'm not sure how to do this. I downloaded some things, the Genesis starter and the Genesis 2 starter and the other things that come with DS4... and I have no idea where to install them. I unzipped them and I see a content folder but my DS4 folder doesn't seem to HAVE a content folder. Do I put it in the DS3 content? Or some where else? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. The download and install manager thing doesn't work on my computer so I have to do it manually.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Open the Content folder from in the ZIP and all the folders BELOW get merged into your My Library or other named Content folder that you use.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

What doesn't the install manager work on your system?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

At least part of the confusion is from sloppy use of the words "the content folder". Does it mean "the folder named Content" as it was from D|S1 to D|S3, or does it mean "the folder D|S is set to read content from" which had a changed name in D|S4.0 and changed again with the introduction of the DIM. It's been a cause of confusion since D|S4.0 and I can't see it going away unless DAZ confuses us all with another folder name change.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

The whole "content" and "content folder" thing got me as well. I don't think you have to do anything with the "Manifest.dsx" file--I just delete mine.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

The Term content folder means the folder that DAZ Studio will be pointed to to LOAD content from at start. In DAZ Studio 3 and below that folder was named Content. In DAZ Studio 4.0 the folder was named My Library, in use of the DIM (DAZ Install Manager) the name is My DAZ 3D Library. They are all content folders. The name of the folder does not matter one bit, all that matters is that the installed content is installed properly. The only thing that does matter beyond proper installation is the location of the folder on Win7 and above PC's. The Content Folder must NOT be in the Programs Files folder, it is protected by the OS and will cause errors if located in those folders. You can place your content folder any other place you like other than the Programs folders.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    I don't think you have to do anything with the "Manifest.dsx" file--I just delete mine.

That's the data file DIM uses to know where to install all the files in the .zip — if you download and install manually then it's safe to ignore these, they don't get installed anywhere, they're just used internally by DIM as part of its keeping-track-of-everything functions.