Victoria 5 or 6?

DurirDurir Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi everyone,

I started using Daz 3d about a year ago and was really loving learning it and I was slowly getting better with the kind help of people on here.

Because I had to go away with work for the last 10 months, I was not able to carry on with Daz till now.

Before I left, I was looking at getting Victoria 5 as a kind of upgrade to my Victoria 4. Is there any point in me getting Victoria 5 now that Victoria 6 is out? I know that there is items out for Victoria 5 that is not out for 6 yet, but beyond that they are both the same kind of price.

So if you was in my place, which one would you go for? I have loved using Victoria 4 in the past, and I see that I can get all of the clothing and so on to fit Genesis 2 model with an item in the shop, so what would you recommend and why? And before any one tells me to get both, I am sorry to say that I do not have the money to go for both.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Clothing for V5 works on V6 through autofit. V5 textures that use the Victoria 5 UV set will work on V6 as well. Most poses for V5 will work for V6 with some minor tweaking. V6 can also use clothing for all of the other Genesis 2 Female characters like Gia, Olympia, Teen Josie, etc.

I guess my point is - if you get V6 you will still be able to use V5 content on her. If you get V5 you won't be able to use any V6 content on her.

Most new content coming out for females is for V6 and the other Genesis 2 Females.

Just some things to ponder when you make your decision.

• DurirDurir Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi DAZ_jared,

You know I never thought of it like that. The clothing match I can see would be a big problem in the future if I went for Victoria 5. From the little that I have seen and read, is there a big difference between Victoria 5 and 6?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Victoria 6 is the new girl, and as a result she's a lot more detailed than her predecessor. Even ignoring the incredible HD morphs which add insane levels of detail, Vicky 6 has better rigging and more polygons as a result of being built off Genesis 2. This means a more realistic figure to work with, and an absolutely beautiful morph to make use of that realism.

However, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. There is content available for Genesis which will be unavailable for Genesis 2. The main issue is that there's no support for older UV sets besides Victoria 4 and 5. This means if you wanted to purchase Stephanie 5 skins, they will be unusable on G2F, and the same goes for Aiko 5 and Hitomi skins.

With the GF2 and G2M clones for Genesis, you can indeed use new clothing on older figures. Though always bear in mind that autofits are not a perfect science, and you may get undesired results with some items.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Victoria 5 was built on the unisex Genesis mesh. Victoria 6 was built on the female Genesis 2 Female mesh. Both have their positives and negatives. Victoria 6 is going to have weight mapping better designed for the female form. Clothing created for Victoria 6 is going to fit better since it is built on a female mesh.

However, Victoria 5 may be a bit more versatile since you can readily combine her with male morphs. Victoria 5 can use male clothing created for Genesis natively. Victoria 6 can use Male clothing created for Genesis 2 Male Characters like Michael 6, but it uses the Autofit process.

As far as a difference in looks, they are both gorgeous figures. I prefer Victoria 6 myself, but that's just an opinion.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply Daz_jared and HeraldOfFire.

I guess like so many people who uses this wonderful software, I have a number of items for the old genesis and Victoria 4. The easy way would be for me to go for Victoria 5 as everything will all work and fit as it should. But that in my minds eye after hearing what you both have said, is just a short term fix! The skins that I have for Stephanie is a blow as I have used them a lot in the past, if I go for Victoria 6.

Having said all of that, I guess what you both are getting at with the new way that Victoria 6 and Genesis has been made, is the way forward. My self like all of us, want to do the best that we can, and Victoria 6 is the way forward.

Thank you both of you for getting back to me, and helping me work out the way forward for me. :)

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Well, the S5 etc. textures can be converted to e.g. V5 textures by using "Map Transfer" option in the Surfaces tab through a Genesis figure and then on to be used on a G2F figure - with manual application in the channels. I transferred some A5 textures in a similar way. Not even sure how many textures actually used the S5 UV map - I kind of ignored S5 ;)

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Can someone let me know if there is a way to fit v5 clothes on v6 at poser? Thanks in advance!

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    Can someone let me know if there is a way to fit v5 clothes on v6 at poser? Thanks in advance!

Probably fitting room is your best chance, otherwise you have to do it in DS.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

I've been away a bit longer, Durir, but am in the same boat. I didn't have Vicky 5 in my Runtime either. The way I decided to look at it was this ... all the content I currently have is for Vicky 4. Most new content is going to be for Vicky 6 (or in fact for Vicky 4). Vicky 5 content is unlikely to be on any deep discounts other than "All of artist XYZ's stuff is on sale for 24 hours". Since there is going to be so much stuff for V6 (and Genesis 2 Female in general) I think I can probably resist adding anything to my runtime that would require me to buy Vicky 5.

IF DAZ were to suddenly go crazy (say around March ????) and offer V5 at a huge discount, then maybe i'd pick her up just because I like collecting stuff. But if I'm concerned about what I need / will use, V6 is the way I'm going to roll.

Unfortunately, I even missed that train. So even buying what I'd like to have for the base V6 character isn't cheap. :( But I guess it's a case of snoozing and losing.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2013

Victoria 5 definitely.
    Genesis is much better and versatile than the separate meshes. Apart from the big limitations, they are also more expensive to use. Features that are free with genesis must be paid now, for each base figure, and are more limited than before as well. Gen 4 Autofit, Gen 4 UVs... they must be purchased individually for each base figure and are more limited than with Genesis (Only DUF textures will work for instance).

You can see in the images, Victoria 6 doesn’t look or bend any better than Victoria 5, same for clothing and the HD, while showing interesting potential for creatures, its totally unnoticeable in Victoria or Michael.

I am using Generation 5. The Genesis 2 separate bases only limit my work big time.

Post edited by Soto on
    edited December 1969

Hi JonnyRay,

I know what you mean about cost of collecting. If I had the money I would get both. I can see Victoria 5 and 6 would work out well, and in someways it would be the best of what both Genesis have to offer. I have found ways of adding my Victoria 4 items to Victoria 6, so that is good news. The down side as said before will be the old skins. That is a shame, but I am sure that more skins will come out soon.

So I think in the mean time, I will go for the Victoria 6 Pro bundle. For what you get, it is a good price. There is that little voice in my head saying that I should go for the starter bundle for Victoria 5 and 6. It would hit my budget........... But you are all right. Victoria 6 is the way forward. It just feels a little like starting all over again. Do you know what I mean?

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Durir said:
    Hi JonnyRay,

I know what you mean about cost of collecting. If I had the money I would get both. I can see Victoria 5 and 6 would work out well, and in someways it would be the best of what both Genesis have to offer. I have found ways of adding my Victoria 4 items to Victoria 6, so that is good news. The down side as said before will be the old skins. That is a shame, but I am sure that more skins will come out soon.

So I think in the mean time, I will go for the Victoria 6 Pro bundle. For what you get, it is a good price. There is that little voice in my head saying that I should go for the starter bundle for Victoria 5 and 6. It would hit my budget........... But you are all right. Victoria 6 is the way forward. It just feels a little like starting all over again. Do you know what I mean?

As I wrote, there are ways to transfer character textures over to G2F / G2M and also morphs, so I am not seeing anything left behind. With the GenX upgrade it will become even more easy to transfer morphs.

It might really depend on whether you absolutely need the ability of Genesis to shift into whatever form more easily or whether you are leaning towards female / male. Personally I see quite an improvement in both G2F and G2M and am not looking back for human renders at least.

edited December 1969

Hi Hellboy,

Ok you have put the cat amongst the pigeons now! I can see your point. about things costing more than before. The point that I have picked up on for other people who have been very kind to reply, is that more content will be coming out for Victoria 6 than the older models. As I said in my last reply, it does kind of feel that I am starting all over again in collecting items again.

I can also understand how using Victoria 5 and Genesis 2 will add to problems as they are two different meshes.

So again this is making the little voices in my head about getting a cheaper bundle of Victoria 6 and then getting Victoria 5 is adding weight. But if I do, am I just holding on to the past, when there will be no new content for Victoria 5 coming out anymore?

edited December 1969

Hi Renpatsu,

After your first post, I had a little look up of what you was talking about. I can see what you mean about moving textures over.

I think the truth of the matter is, I really liked Victoria 4 when I was using the Daz at the start of the year. I was not too sure if I should move up to Victoria 5 back then, because the changes was not that big to my mind back then. Coming back now, and I can see a big change in the way things are done with Victoria 6 or more to the point, Genesis 2.

I have a number of skins that i brought for Victoria 4 that I know will work with 5. I like the skins that I have and items, and I know that they will work with Victoria 5. The main thing that is stopping me from jumping for Victoria 6 is the possible lack of use of those skins and items because they do not work right with Victoria 6.

• Chris BarnesChris Barnes Posts: 67
    edited December 2013

I'd go for Victoria 6

Even without HD the level of detail on V6 is superior to V5. She seems to bend a bit better than V5 as well, especially around the thighs. V6 HD is fantastic for close up renders, further back it is less noticeable though. Genesis/V5 has been largely abandoned, with new content drying up.

While Genesis 1 is more versatile, I'm not sure how many people are really interested in putting males in female clothes or vice-versa (I mean, most Poser users continue to happily to use the separate meshes of M4 & V4).

If you want to use your V4 skins with V6 you'll have to get the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female shape which will set you back a further $15 though.

Post edited by Chris Barnes on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2013

It's more than a clothing issue, which is an issue by itself. Its also shaping limitation problem.
    Most Poser users use Gen 4 separate meshes because they dont have any other option.

Despite Genesis 2 limitations, cost and no improvements, if you want to focus on girls alone, I see no good or bad in going for Victoria 6. If you just want a Victoria, I'd say go for 6.

Post edited by Soto on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited December 1969

Durir, don't go for either, just get the morphs for Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 and create you own characters and when GenX is updated get that to add all your V4 morphs and clothing to the mix.. V5 and V6 are just extensions of the bases meshes. I have V5 and never use her instead I use custom V4 morphs and GenX for my own characters which I prefer over V5 and once GenX is updated, GF2 will be added to the mix. No sense in starting over just add to the toolbox to make all compatible instead of choosing one over the other.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

My take: it depends on what is most important to you.

If you prefer: realism (details, bends, expressions), compatibility with more new and future releases, go with Victoria 6.
    If you prefer: versatility, value, and backwards compatibility, go with Victoria 5.

As far as my preferences are concerned, I still use Genesis most often (because I have tons of content for it). But that's starting to change as more great stuff gets released for the 6th Generation figures. When I want to customize my own characters, I'll use Genesis, but when I want a character that looks great "out of the box," I'm just as likely to load up V6 or M6.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

I started on V5, dabbled in V4 and I'm now a V6 zealot. I've used auto fit a lot on V5 and V6 and generally found that V4 outfits auto fit better to V6 than they did on V5. There's still problems with long hairs, long sleeves, boots and, in particular, ankle-length gowns, though.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Durir, don't go for either, just get the morphs for Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 and create you own characters and when GenX is updated get that to add all your V4 morphs and clothing to the mix.. V5 and V6 are just extensions of the bases meshes. I have V5 and never use her instead I use custom V4 morphs and GenX for my own characters which I prefer over V5 and once GenX is updated, GF2 will be added to the mix. No sense in starting over just add to the toolbox to make all compatible instead of choosing one over the other.

This right here is exactly what I intend to do myself. I recommend the same, Durir. :)