November 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Materials

Comments

• Daventaki said:

Wanted to get my WIP to get suggestions.  Two things I noticed was the grass seems to be to plastic looking and not really very dense maybe because of the angle (using Realistic Grass Evolution).  Second is the walls, does the bump seem to high?

Sorry for the graininess, I decided to stop it early instead of processing through the whole thing.

Looks like you have a good start going, and I like the POV you have here.

• sueya said:

Daventaki said:

Wanted to get my WIP to get suggestions.  Two things I noticed was the grass seems to be to plastic looking and not really very dense maybe because of the angle (using Realistic Grass Evolution).  Second is the walls, does the bump seem to high?

Sorry for the graininess, I decided to stop it early instead of processing through the whole thing.

depends what you were going for on the paint/stucco textured paint? its a bit rough  stucco? its fine. if you don't like the grass you can alter reflection/turn down gloss change the white to a grey to muddy it up a bit there are a few ways to remove the plasticky look.

by the way I hope the fairy thats out helps the other soon. because no air holes will end badly

• L'Adair said:

Version c here, finaly (things were timpermental fot a few days, including but not limited to my layout reseting on me.)

Some more texture tweeking on the set, moved the props on the bar so it was as if the guy seated there had been using them instead of them set out for someone, and added a third character who is stepping out. Material work was done on the new character's Crome

The thing about a dark room is our eyes adjust until we can see everything, (unless the room is too dark.) This room has plenty of light, and your eyes would adjust to where you could actually see the characters as more than just dark shapes, (with emissive eyes!) The easiest way I've found to accomplish that is with a Ghost Light. For an image like this one, I would set up a vertical plane, (Z-Positve axis,) and position it where it would cast light on the entire area in the camera frame. With Cutout Opacity set to something like 0.00000001, there is no specularity and it won't show if any part of it is in the camera frame. It doesn't take much light to simulate the eyes' ability to see detail in a low light situation. And it's always an option to use Tone Mapping to darken the image, if necessary.

I like where you're going with this image. I just want to be able to see the characters, too.

How's this? I paranted my ghost light attempt to the camera, and placed it just behand said camera so it was out of frame. Other then adding the ghost light, I did a little more texture work, in this case the celling of the room was still the defalt 3Dlite shader that Daz uses on items that aren't for IRay by defalt.  Sorry about grammer and spelling mistakes if any, it's about 2 in the morning where I'm at and I should be trying to get some rest even though my shift isn't intil in the afternoon.

nov2019d.png
    978 x 851 - 1M
  • Daventaki said:

<snip>

@Daventaki: I would argue that for early, WiP renders, you shouldn't feel bad about graininess, as even super quick, unconverged renders will give you valuable information information on how the end result will look compared to the viewport. (I learned last month that interactive iRay and photoreal iRay can have some significant differences depending on one's scene's lighting.) Honestly, I'm considering setting the max time to either 5 or 10 minutes during development, and only back to multiple hours once I have a scene that I've iterated on a couple times.

On the grass, maybe turn the saturation down? I agree it looks a little off, but nothing is jumping out to me as the obvious solution, which means going back to the old standby: try a variety of things and see how they look.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Ok so I decreased the glossy and darkened the base color on the grass a bit, looks better I think.  Also decreased the bump on the walls just a bit. Any suggestion on how to maybe get the wings on the fairy in the bottle to show a little better? 

Waiting.jpg
    1522 x 1055 - 737K

Daventaki said:

Ok so I decreased the glossy and darkened the base color on the grass a bit, looks better I think.  Also decreased the bump on the walls just a bit. Any suggestion on how to maybe get the wings on the fairy in the bottle to show a little better? 

set the trans. level for the glass bottle from 1.33 down a bit  closer to 1.0  something like 1.2 it should make the glass more transparent and the wings should show a bit more it'll probably need a few tries to find the sweet spot

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    L'Adair said:

Version c here, finaly (things were timpermental fot a few days, including but not limited to my layout reseting on me.)

Some more texture tweeking on the set, moved the props on the bar so it was as if the guy seated there had been using them instead of them set out for someone, and added a third character who is stepping out. Material work was done on the new character's Crome

The thing about a dark room is our eyes adjust until we can see everything, (unless the room is too dark.) This room has plenty of light, and your eyes would adjust to where you could actually see the characters as more than just dark shapes, (with emissive eyes!) The easiest way I've found to accomplish that is with a Ghost Light. For an image like this one, I would set up a vertical plane, (Z-Positve axis,) and position it where it would cast light on the entire area in the camera frame. With Cutout Opacity set to something like 0.00000001, there is no specularity and it won't show if any part of it is in the camera frame. It doesn't take much light to simulate the eyes' ability to see detail in a low light situation. And it's always an option to use Tone Mapping to darken the image, if necessary.

I like where you're going with this image. I just want to be able to see the characters, too.

How's this? I paranted my ghost light attempt to the camera, and placed it just behand said camera so it was out of frame. Other then adding the ghost light, I did a little more texture work, in this case the celling of the room was still the defalt 3Dlite shader that Daz uses on items that aren't for IRay by defalt.  Sorry about grammer and spelling mistakes if any, it's about 2 in the morning where I'm at and I should be trying to get some rest even though my shift isn't intil in the afternoon.

Better.  

The first thing that catches my eye are the woman's eyes.  

I would experiment with the lights directly above the bar - increasing them will create a sharp contrast with the rest of the scene and add to drama.  It will also bring in the face of the man sitting at the bar, and thus draw the viewer's eyes away from the woman towards him. 

I like the way the ceiling is reflecting the room - it's so dark I can't quite make it out, which adds interest.  

Surface wise, you have an interesting mixture of matt, satin, shiny and mirrored surfaces, and just enough tiny emissive lights to add interest.  Nothing jumps out at me to correct.  It's a nice blend.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Daventaki said:

set the trans. level for the glass bottle from 1.33 down a bit  closer to 1.0  something like 1.2 it should make the glass more transparent and the wings should show a bit more it'll probably need a few tries to find the sweet spot

Add some metallic flakes to the wings, so that they catch the light like the wings of the faerie on the right.  Set the Metallic Flakes Strength to 0.25 to start.  Too much and it will turn white.  Also, add the Diffuse map (base color map) into Metallic Flakes Color.  

If you have never played with the maps before, here are the steps I use:

Highlight the map you want to use in another surface of the wings (Diffuse, Specular, etc), and note the name. Click on it and click on Browse.  This will take you to the textures folder.  Click in the address bar and copy the address. 

Now go back to the Metallic Flakes Color, click the arrow and click on Browse, then paste the copied address into the address bar to get to the textures folder.  Find the map you want to use and double click to load it.

These steps are pretty handy when converting 3DL models to Iray, because the conversion doesn't always place the maps in optimal locations.

@dragoneyes002  Thank you will play around with that when I get a chance, see if I can get them more visible.

@dracorn both sets of wings have the same materials applied to them, its an iridescence shader by Oso3D i believe.  I will keep the tips in mind and test them out though as I am still learning how to manipulate shaders and materials.  

• dracorn said:
    L'Adair said:

Better.  

I would experiment with the lights directly above the bar - increasing them will create a sharp contrast with the rest of the scene and add to drama.  It will also bring in the face of the man sitting at the bar, and thus draw the viewer's eyes away from the woman towards him. 

I like the way the ceiling is reflecting the room - it's so dark I can't quite make it out, which adds interest.  

Surface wise, you have an interesting mixture of matt, satin, shiny and mirrored surfaces, and just enough tiny emissive lights to add interest.  Nothing jumps out at me to correct.  It's a nice blend.

Glad that the ghost light helped, it was my first time trying to use one.As for the lights at the bar, and the guy sitting there, I'll have to see what I can do after I get home from my friend's house after work later. It's already after 2 in the morning here, and I should be trying to get some sleep so I'm well rested (at least somewhat.) when I go in.

• Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited November 2019

the blaze - contest entry 1

contest_materials_02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 508K
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2019
    dracorn said:
    L'Adair said:

Better.  

Glad that the ghost light helped, it was my first time trying to use one.As for the lights at the bar, and the guy sitting there, I'll have to see what I can do after I get home from my friend's house after work later. It's already after 2 in the morning here, and I should be trying to get some sleep so I'm well rested (at least somewhat.) when I go in.

I agree with dracorn that this image looks better with additional light. Did you set the Cutout Opacity to almost zero? I ask for two reasons: One, you mention you've moved the plane behind the camera so it's not in the frame and; Two, there are significant relections of light throughout the image, perhaps most noticable on the cylinders behind the bar on the left of the image. I actually like the effect, but a Ghost Light wouldn't create those.

I like being able to see the two closer figures, I think the amount of light on them is just right,and I love what you've done to the ceiling. But I think the overall image suffers from the loss of the darkness below the counter. The set begins to look more like a cafe counter than a bar. It is possible to place Ghost Lights in front of the figures, one each, sized to be the same height and width as the figure, to increase the light on the figure without having as much effect on the bar itself. Because they are essentially transparent, they won't be seen by the camera. However, another option would be to change the material settings on the mesh below the counter to something darker.

I don't recognize the set, but I'm guessing that lower area doesn't have it's own material zone. If it does, great! If not, you can use the Geometry Editor Tool to select the mesh there and create a new material zone, then tweak the settings to make the materials darker, and perhaps not very reflective.

I think the scene is good. I like that there are other characters in the scene, coming and going, and the reflection of the man at the bar in the reflective surface behind the bar is really a nice touch. Now I'm wondering if it would benefit from a wider dimension ratio, like 3:2, (the Photo / 35mm Slide / VistaVision option,) or 5:3, (the Super 16mm option,) in Render Settings > General > Dimension Preset (Global) settings. As long as it doesn't lose the great reflection on the ceiling!

Post edited by L'Adair on

I adjusted the bottle then also changed out the wings for some that show a little better.  Also added some tools on the table.

Waiting2.jpg
    1522 x 1055 - 1010K
  • sueyasueya Posts: 825

I have changed the colour of the stone walls

Feedback is welcome

• AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 773
    edited November 2019

So, I changed all the "material" on the cats to make them different breeds and colors, I used leather iray shaders to change the couch to brown leather and change the throw pillows to something fancier but still a bit older-looking, to keep with the "retro" theme; I gave her pants to go with her outfit and used a shader to change the color to make them into sweatpants, and changed the wood on the coffee table from light to dark wood.  I also changed the walls by covering them with a monotone wallpaper shader, and put a plain block outside the window covered with brick so the poor woman also has no view.   This would be me if I worked at an animal shelter, LOL.

AZDigitalArtist-LivingAlone.jpg
    1440 x 936 - 1M
    Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on

sueya said:

Feedback is welcome

starting to look nightclub-ish any chance of making the outside look like night because that would make the window trim stand out from the glass. also tone down the slot machine body color (change the white difuse to a similar beige that should make it less glaring)

• dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited November 2019

So, I changed all the "material" on the cats to make them different breeds and colors, I used leather iray shaders to change the couch to brown leather and change the throw pillows to something fancier but still a bit older-looking, to keep with the "retro" theme; I gave her pants to go with her outfit and used a shader to change the color to make them into sweatpants, and changed the wood on the coffee table from light to dark wood.  I also changed the walls by covering them with a monotone wallpaper shader, and put a plain block outside the window covered with brick so the poor woman also has no view.   This would be me if I worked at an animal shelter, LOL.

so no cat woman jokes huh?  all the cats are looking good except the one white one on the table great pose but the cat looks more plastic than the rest probably the harsh light its in.

EDIT: do you have any curtains by chance? just to fill in some of the large wall space the kind that sit at the edge of the window between the lights would really bring it together.

Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • L'Adair said:
    dracorn said:
    L'Adair said:

Better.  

I agree with dracorn that this image looks better with additional light. Did you set the Cutout Opacity to almost zero? I ask for two reasons: One, you mention you've moved the plane behind the camera so it's not in the frame and; Two, there are significant relections of light throughout the image, perhaps most noticable on the cylinders behind the bar on the left of the image. I actually like the effect, but a Ghost Light wouldn't create those.

I like being able to see the two closer figures, I think the amount of light on them is just right,and I love what you've done to the ceiling. But I think the overall image suffers from the loss of the darkness below the counter. The set begins to look more like a cafe counter than a bar. It is possible to place Ghost Lights in front of the figures, one each, sized to be the same height and width as the figure, to increase the light on the figure without having as much effect on the bar itself. Because they are essentially transparent, they won't be seen by the camera. However, another option would be to change the material settings on the mesh below the counter to something darker.

I don't recognize the set, but I'm guessing that lower area doesn't have it's own material zone. If it does, great! If not, you can use the Geometry Editor Tool to select the mesh there and create a new material zone, then tweak the settings to make the materials darker, and perhaps not very reflective.

I think the scene is good. I like that there are other characters in the scene, coming and going, and the reflection of the man at the bar in the reflective surface behind the bar is really a nice touch. Now I'm wondering if it would benefit from a wider dimension ratio, like 3:2, (the Photo / 35mm Slide / VistaVision option,) or 5:3, (the Super 16mm option,) in Render Settings > General > Dimension Preset (Global) settings. As long as it doesn't lose the great reflection on the ceiling!

Given the time where I'm at is almost 3 in the morning, I'll have to go in and see what can be done after I get some rest. I was able to look up the name of the set I'm using which is "Dystopia Destinations: Hyperion Bar", but it looks like it's no longer available to buy here on DAZ. I got my copy back in July of 2010.

• Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited November 2019

color correction - final entry version one

02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 646K
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 773
    edited November 2019

so no cat woman jokes huh?  all the cats are looking good except the one white one on the table great pose but the cat looks more plastic than the rest probably the harsh light its in.

EDIT: do you have any curtains by chance? just to fill in some of the large wall space the kind that sit at the edge of the window between the lights would really bring it together.

Yeah, I noticed that - it looks weird.  Rendering takes overnight, with fingers crossed my computer doesn't crash, so I left it for now.  I considered "furring" it up in Photoshop with a brush.   I did want to put curtains in, but I have only one set of curtains, and in order to make them fit, I had to stretch them, and they looked awful, so I left them out.  Maybe she can't afford them, having to pay for all that cat food, LOL.   If I have time over the next few days, I'll redo the render.  Thanks for the comments!  :0

Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on
  • dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited November 2019

Yeah, I noticed that - it looks weird.  Rendering takes overnight, with fingers crossed my computer doesn't crash, so I left it for now.  I considered "furring" it up in Photoshop with a brush.   I did want to put curtains in, but I have only one set of curtains, and in order to make them fit, I had to stretch them, and they looked awful, so I left them out.  Maybe she can't afford them, having to pay for all that cat food, LOL.   If I have time over the next few days, I'll redo the render.  Thanks for the comments!  :0

do you work with any other 3d programs? you can take a simple plane and add folds to create your own curtains 

if you happen to have any fur texture in shaders you could play with that too

Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • Version E here. Did some texture work under the bar, tweeked the ghost light, and changed the aspect ratio.

nov2019e.png
    970 x 776 - 962K
  • sueya said:

Feedback is welcome

for a nightclub scene, could be cool to put in disco lighting to reflect that on the floor by the bay-windows and let the sun go down, more people more bar-chairs and long-drinks - LET'S PARTY

that sort of thing, for now it looks like it "could be" but the two seem undecided "what"... popping corks or an evening doing Sudoku with the cat in the back

bring in LIFE

smiley

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 276
    edited November 2019

"... and as she gazed at the moon, begging the for life of her mate, knowing only death will part them, and begging to take his place, she had no way to know the god's answer would a single word, 'No.'..."

This render took me 4 days to final render; geometery editting the grass took me a week to get it to stop poking through her and the tree she is sitting against. The apparel was completely redone with silver shaders for the metal and a metalic blue silk for the lining, The shackles were for v4. I resized and custom fit them for the Gen 8 female as well as redid the shader, also to silver. Her skin, nails, eyes, eyebrows, and makeup are custom built materials, and the moonlight is also custom lighting. Also had to up the render quality to 4 just to get rid of the white dots from the reflection of the silver. The idea was to create something "in the air" without it being seen, only felt.

Also the quote is from a book I may actually write some day when I get enough thoughts down on paper.

Loves_Plea.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 7M
    Post edited by Coryllon on
    Coryllon said:

"... and as she gazed at the moon, begging the for life of her mate, knowing only death will part them, and begging to take his place, she had no way to know the god's answer would a single word, 'No.'..."

This render took me 4 days to final render; geometery editting the grass took me a week to get it to stop poking through her and the tree she is sitting against. The apparel was completely redone with silver shaders for the metal and a metalic blue silk for the lining, The shackles were for v4. I resized and custom fit them for the Gen 8 female as well as redid the shader, also to silver. Her skin, nails, eyes, eyebrows, and makeup are custom built materials, and the moonlight is also custom lighting. Also had to up the render quality to 4 just to get rid of the white dots from the reflection of the silver. The idea was to create something "in the air" without it being seen, only felt.

Also the quote is from a book I may actually write some day when I get enough thoughts down on paper.

That looks really good, especially the grass around her legs!

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 276
    TY. That's pretty much what took the longest to edit.

This will be my final I think for this picture.  Nearly every objects materials have been changed, anywhere from minor color adjustments to changing the material completely.  Some where shaders from the library and some where shaders I build from scratch.  I even created a little story to go with it!  This has been an interesting challenge for me I have learned a lot and had fun.

I want to thank all those involved in these challenges, they make me get into things I have difficulty with and get out of my little box and try new and different things.

Fairy Friends Abella and Loxy were captured in the wild by the witch Cassandra.  When Cassandra left for awhile Loxy was able to wiggle her stopper and free herself from the bottle but instead of stopping and helping Abella remove her stopper Loxy got curious and wanted to see what the witch was up too.  Abella looks on from her bottle annoyed at Loxy for getting distracted and worried that Cassandra could be back at any minute!

And whom might be the onlooker on the roof?

WaitingForReleaseTM2019.jpg
    1522 x 1055 - 2M
  • Version F here, adding someone behind the bar checking on the character seated there. The new character's outfit has been retextured, and if you look closely you might see the extra set of ears that she has poking out of her hair.

nov2019f.png
    970 x 776 - 1M
  • My first one. Still having some problems with the skin on my characters.
    (While our heroes find a place to land. two young joyriders from the constellation G6759nyz find themselves in a spot of bother after hitting a flowerpot.
    Big bro: dads gonna be P$#^@*, we hit a flower pot.
    Lil bro: but we missed that whale and found this neat book.
    Flowerpot: not again.)

Version F here, adding someone behind the bar checking on the character seated there. The new character's outfit has been retextured, and if you look closely you might see the extra set of ears that she has poking out of her hair.

It can be tough to get so many figures in a scene, and still use your GPU to render, (assuming you have an Nvidia card.) One thing I do when I put a lot of characters in a scene is to hide any bones not in the camera's view. For example, the guy the only thing I can really see of the guy at the bar is his head, and in the mirror, his neck. If you expand the character's bones in the scene tab, you can probably get away with hiding every thing below the neck. If you're using 4.12, you can expand the character, Ctrl+Click on the Hip bone "eye" icon to hide all the bones. Then locate the neck, (Lower Neck or just Neck, depending on the character's generation,) and Ctrl+Click on that bone's "eye" icon to unhide the bones from the neck up. If you hide bones that can't be seen anyway, you'll lower the load on your computer, Nvidia card or not.

I am truly loving the direction you're taking this image.
    yes smiley

toggle the "eye" icon to closed