Subject: "Poser 8/9 has stopped working"/no library after IE10/11 Win7 update? SM aware...

2»

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

Boxed Poser 8 and PP2010 are still for sale at Amazon...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I solved the problem with my Poser 8 by simply uninstalling the IE 11 update and then made sure it wouldn't happen again by removing IE from my system.

• RivendarkRivendark Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Poser 9 Win SR3.2 Released

(I haven't tried it yet - I'm happy enough with my IE11-blocker for now!)

The Patch works. :)

Glad this is fixed for Poser 9 ... for now.

• JeanLuc AjrarnJeanLuc Ajrarn Posts: 3
    edited December 2013

Thank you SO MUCH for the solution to this aggravating problem! :)

I've spent half the day trying to figure out how to fix my suddenly blank Poser Library palette, and could not get it to behave even after reinstalling Poser 9, and trying lots of other things.

Uninstalling Internet Exploder 11 definitely fixed it instantly, and running the IE 11 Blocker will prevent Windows Update to force shove it into my Windows 7 64 system and reproduce the problem again. :)

Post edited by JeanLuc Ajrarn on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Thanks everybody in this thread.... I had the problem with Poser Pro 2012 crashing on program startup... rolling back IE11 to IE10 and then following the steps for the auto update to IE11 blocker all seems to have fixed my problem. Of course before I found this thread my google searches on the problem found little about it so I began uninstalling Poser and reinstalling it and the SRs but nothing worked until I found this thread.... very helpful and resolved a frustrating night and day (I almost ponied up the money to upgrade to Poser Pro 2014 just to try and fix it).
    Not sure what I lost in my effort... I know I will need to reinstall Reality and probably several other products... oh well... not sure if this ranks up there with my several efforts to figure out cms/smart contnet issues for DAZ Studio but it was very frustrating. Thanks again!!

• LickitungLickitung Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

WandW said:

Yep... I checked with SM tech support for poser 8 hoping for help, and told them this. Their reply, and I quote:

"We are not Amazon, nor are we affiliated. If they are selling it, it is from resellers of old product."

Basically, the rep pushed Poser 10 and didn't even mention a hotfix for 9, while they DID state the problem was happening on 9 as well. So if you have poser 8, you have to spend 90-130$ for a new version or upgrade...

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 2013

Lickitung said:
    WandW said:

Yep... I checked with SM tech support for poser 8 hoping for help, and told them this. Their reply, and I quote:

"We are not Amazon, nor are we affiliated. If they are selling it, it is from resellers of old product."

Basically, the rep pushed Poser 10 and didn't even mention a hotfix for 9, while they DID state the problem was happening on 9 as well. So if you have poser 8, you have to spend 90-130$ for a new version or upgrade...

Send this link and tell them they are full of it....Aw MAN, they changed it since last night; sons of rascals! Here it is from Google's cache

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0F651naggdEJ:https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2239+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

EDIT: I still had it open in my browser on my Render machine; screenshot of a portion of the page is attached for purposes of criticism and education as permitted under 17 USC, Sec 107 (1976).....

SMWin7.jpg
    1000 x 1080 - 479K
    Post edited by WandW on
  • LickitungLickitung Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

Well, technically that screen only shows that Poser is compatible with Win7, mentions nothing about IE11. And the Rep was stating that smith micro no longer directly sells poser 8.

Meh... Either way, a hotfix at this juncture will only buy another year tops of Poser functionality until Microsoft updates Explorer again. What MAY have borked it is the fact that Explorer 11 now comes with Flash and handles flash differently from just having the player installed separate.

Anywho, I've rolled back to IE10, installed the 11 Blocker and my Poser8 works again :3
    Added poser 10 to my Christmas list... we'll see what happens. If I don't get it, I'll save up for it.

Also updated my consumer review on amazon of poser8 to warn new purchasers of it. I've gotten 2 notices from amazon recently asking me for feedback to customer questions on it. Hopefully my now warning will catch some eyes.

Post edited by Lickitung on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794
    edited December 1969

For those interested

Smith Micro have finally released an update for PoserPro 2012 to work with Windows 8.1 64bit

• TabbycatTabbycat Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Just did a system restore to the point before the update (and there was just the one update, IE11). Result: Adobe Flash 11.9.900.117 (both plug-in and ActiveX) and IE9 (I think- I didn't actually check! So it could have been IE10...) - Poser 8/9 working fine, as before.

On shutdown IE11 was forcefully installed on my system again - still can't find any way to prevent that. And on reboot? Still Adobe Flash 11.9.900.117 (both plug-in and ActiveX) but now IE11.00.9600.16428 (both 32 and 64 bit) - Poser 8/9 have the blank library pane problem again

I updated Adobe Flash to the latest 11.9.900.152 (both plug-in and ActiveX) - no change, Poser 8/9 have the blank library pane problem.

So I know I can get round the problem by using IE9...but Windows Update is forcing an IE11 reinstall on shutdown, which brings the problem back.

I'm really approaching my wits end with this...

To have IE stop updating. Get IE running. Click on the text "Help" ( in other words: the word Help not an icon) at the top of the screen left hand side. Click on the About Internet Explorer. A dialog box comes up and now uncheck the auto update box.
    I am using IE10. I think you can turn that text menu off so if you don't see it, you need to find out how to turn it back on.