Selecting and moving multiple geometries in Hexagon...is possible?

Hiya! Fairly sure there's going to be an obvious answer to this that'll leave me blushing, but I can't figure it out...

I want to move a button on a shirt in Hexagon...easy enough...BUT, the button is comprised of two (unwelded) geometries, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to move the two parts as one... yeah, I could move each geometry part individually into position, but to minimise distortion/displacement I want to select both of the buttons geometries and move them together, whilst obviously leaving the other parts of the figure (shirt, collar, other buttons) in place. 

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

(also, if anyone can tell me how to change my username in the Forums that would also be appreciated...at the moment I feel like a Series 4000 mechanoid!)

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Is it two separate meshes in the same object or two different objects?

• Ascania said:

The buttons and shirt are a single figure, but the meshes are separate (not welded) so there are separate meshes for the shirt, button part (a) and button part (b)... if it was two separate objects it'd be an easy process... It'd be easier Poser style as Poser's selection tool doesn't recognise the separation of the meshes and treats the figure as a single object, but Hexagon seems to handle this differently.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Have you tried grouping?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    Ascania said:

The buttons and shirt are a single figure, but the meshes are separate (not welded) so there are separate meshes for the shirt, button part (a) and button part (b)... if it was two separate objects it'd be an easy process... It'd be easier Poser style as Poser's selection tool doesn't recognise the separation of the meshes and treats the figure as a single object, but Hexagon seems to handle this differently.

So just go into face mode, select faces on both meshes and grow the selection until all connected faces are selected

• Thank you...that's worked fine! Also in hindsight so obvious I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner myself... but I didn't... had me completely stumped! Now I am unstumpethed!) Many thanks! :)

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited November 2019

Thank you...that's worked fine! Also in hindsight so obvious I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner myself... but I didn't... had me completely stumped! Now I am unstumpethed!) Many thanks! :)

What you have there are polygons that are disassociated. Hexagon even has a disassociate tool to do it yourself. It doesn't break UV maps, which is cool. A use of it would be for exploding a model into pieces.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • Thank you for that too. Handy to know... although you may have just distracted me as I now have a sudden and overwhelming desire to try exploding things... ;)