3DS files not opening

lazaraksmithlazaraksmith Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

3ds files will not open. every time i try to open it the program freezes and closes

Comments

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Well you are using one of the beta versions, so perhaps that had not been activated. Either try ver 2.1 if you have it or, download the latest version. But before you do that wait until somebody else can confirm one way or the other that either or both 2.1/2.5.1.79 can handle .3ds files.

Unfortunately I do not have any of those files to hand to test, I'll have a quick look then boot up and try all the versions that I have installed on my PC.

Incidentally is this a recent phenomena or has always done this ? Oh! PC or Mac ?? :)

EDIT ~ On second thoughts I don't think that was a beta version; I've just checked I only have 2.0 2.1 and 2.5.1.79 on the PC here just got to find a suitable file to check.

Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

I lied I only have the patched 2.1 ver and the latest 2.5.1.79. I did a quick file search and low and behold I found a simple box but it was a .3ds file. I tried all versions and copies of Hexagon that I have on the PC and on each one the .3ds file opened without any problems.

So, I would suggest as the first step that you reset your preference file back to it's default settings after you've copied any custom settings so that you can reinstate them if all ok. Restart your computer and try again perhaps with a different .3ds file; just in case the one you are trying is corrupted.

If that doesn't help let us know. :cheese:

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I have plenty complex 3ds files and Hex 2.5.1.79 both opens and imports them, no problem

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited December 1969

are you importing or opening them?
    some programs like Carrara which I use, not so fussy but Hexagon along with quite a few others MUST use import for anything other than it's native file type.

• edited December 1969

are you importing or opening them?...Hexagon...MUST use import for anything other than it's native file type.

Not so. Hex can open anything it can import, but the "open" menu includes a few extra formats.

The difference between "open" and "import" is that when you OPEN a file, you are creating a new workspace with ONLY that file. When you IMPORT a file, you ADD that model to your workspace.
    edited December 1969

sorry, my mistake, I do not use Hexagon much, usually only via the Daz studio bridge to add morphs.
    a lot of programs DO have that restriction though, yeah Carrara too opens a new scene, likewise dropping files in, unlike studio which does not support 3ds anyway

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

How many files have you tried and are they from the same source? I have found many 3DS files that will crash various programs on import/open, not just Hexagon. Perhaps if you got a simple 3ds file that others here have opened sucessfully you can test if it might be the file(s) itself.

• lazaraksmithlazaraksmith Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

i been trying 3ds files from a video game i play alot I tried all the files in the game even the mist simplest 3ds file model. and @Red square didn't work

edited December 1969

Well, try this.... Oh flaming hell can't up load a .3ds file. Soreeey. >:(

• edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Well, try this.... Oh flaming hell can't up load a .3ds file. Soreeey. >:(

Irritating, isn't it?

For awhile after the revamp I was thrilled to see that we could upload HXN files.

But DAZ quickly "fixed" that... >:(
    edited December 1969

who knows what viral nasties could be hidden in those Hexagon files %-P
    afterall on Bones, a set of bones had a virus embeded in them uploaded to the Smithsonium by the scanner!!
    was on telly
    so must be true!!! ;-P

• edited December 1969

who knows what viral nasties could be hidden in those Hexagon files %-P
    afterall on Bones, a set of bones had a virus embeded in them uploaded to the Smithsonium by the scanner!!
    was on telly so must be true!!! ;-P

OMG!!! I hadn't heard that!! Now that I've read it on the internet, I'll have to rush out and inform everyone!!

We MUST push the gummint to place anyone with bones on the terrorist watch list!! :-)
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Don't panic, Wendy is fixated on boning:-)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited July 2012

Sam Jones
    Written by Richard Thompson
    Appears on you? me? us? (1996)

Me name is Sam Jones and it's bones me occupation
    Chuck your old hocks out for my consideration
    Thirty years a bone man, up and down the nation
    Sam Jones deliver them bones

I've been among the shamrock and I've been among the thistle
    I like it all picked over, clean as a whistle
    No sign of meat on, no sign of gristle

I've seen battlefields white with human ivory
    Noble dukes and princes stripped of flesh and finery
    When the crows have done their job, they say that's the time for me

And I even dream of bones when I'm lying very ill
    Roomsfull of skeletons a-dancing the quadrille
    Rows and rows of skulls singing Blueberry Hill

And if you're unburied, the likes of me will find you
    You're no good to worms, but you might become the finest glue
    We'll grind you up and spread you out as fertiliser, too

And I've got a lorry, it's me own boneshaker
    Where's there old knuckle joints I'll be the undertaker
    I'll come calling 'round just like the butcher and the baker

Me name is Sam Jones and it's bones me occupation
    Chuck your old hocks out for my consideration
    Thirty years a bone man, up and down the nation
    Oh, Sam Jones deliver them bones
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * Great song btw, it captures a forgotten part of history beautifully.
    The whole album is excellent, highly recommended.
    That song isn''t availabe on Youtube in the U.S. but this one is and gives an idea of his style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83PIagsK4po

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

I meant this
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2076424/synopsis
    I heard someone actually put a Daz/Poser runtime deleting virus in some content on Renderosity as a result of disgruntlement, dunno if it was really true!
    would not blow up your computer though!

• edited December 1969

I meant this http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2076424/synopsis

Yes, I recognized what you were talking about when you posted it. I HOPE you took my response as an extension of your humor and not as sarcasm directed at you. Even with all the smiley faces, my own humor can sometimes appear ambiguous. :)

On a serious note, shows like this are EXACTLY why TV has become so nauseatingly insufferable to me. It's all the same crap - different show names, different actors, different time slots, but it's all the same crap! And cop shows all show teams of brilliant cops using technology that either doesn't exist at all, or works poorly in real life, and it's all so "formula" that viewers actually start BELIEVING it!

The absurdity of somehow scanning viral code into a goddamned DATA FILE is just one more piece of technical idiocy to toss on the stack. On these shows I've seen an "unsub's" face pulled from a reflection off a pair of eyeglasses worn by some guy seen on "security footage" which was "blown up" and "enhanced" into a recognizable face! Whiz-kid forensics teams have remarkable success at cracking encryption codes with only minor difficulty, hacking any computer on the planet they feel like, and recovering megabytes of incriminating files off ERASED hard drives ('erasing" is different from "deleting". Deleted files are easily recoverable for a short time after deletion even if you have the "recycle bin" disabled, erased files are gone forever). "Facial recognition" programs have notoriously low success rates under less than ideal conditions, but not CSI's software...their's works every time!

Okay...I'm ranting. But I feel SO much better now getting all that off my chest! :-)

I heard someone actually put a Daz/Poser runtime deleting virus in some content on Renderosity as a result of disgruntlement, dunno if it was really true!

I can think of a way that MIGHT be possible, but I'm skeptical as to whether it could actually be implemented because of the many technical hurdles standing in its way, as well as the fact that it would be too easy to identify the uploader for him to make it worth his while.

OTOH, there are some phenomenally stupid people running around out there whose plans often end with a ride in the back seat of a cop car. :)

And now...for some REAL science:

Many here may or may not be aware that a "class X" solar event occurred on thursday, and a solar flare and a CME are now racing towards earth. It was originally predicted to hit earth sometime this morning (saturday, July 14). but as of 1:00PM EDT, nasa says it's not here yet.

There's always the possibility that it will miss us completely or disperse to insignificance, but since the outburst was so potent, it's got to be watched since it has the POTENTIAL of disrupting communications satellites (via the flare) or disrupting the power grid (via the CME), and these risks are global in extent. NASA currently thinks it's unlikely that anything much will come of it.

HOWEVER...one really nifty artifact of these things are aurorae. Depending on the strength of the flare when it arrives, it could create aurorae as far south as alabama by some estimates, washington DC by others, and new jersey by many.

So YAY!!! I'm in south joisey!! :)

But BOO!! It's been CLOUDY since yesterday! >:(

So for you folk who have clear skies, keep an eye out on the northern skies tonight and tomorrow night - you just might be in for some of mother nature's greatest eye candy!