Decimator is great but it Crashes my computer

nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Why does decimator crash my computer? badly.

why would a plugin for daz have the ability to make my computer useless...

I can decimate fine, but the crashing is on and off. for example, i decimate fine...but then i move on to the next thing to decimate and it crashes.

I'm using the Mac 64bit version of DAZ, and my Mac is set up to use the 64 bit kernel.
I have 10GB ram and a 2009 mac pro. macos verssion 10.6.8

Sometimes after i decimate something my whole computer screen flashes and then it crashes.

Why would decimator have to do anything with the Graphics card. isn't it just decimating?

The graphics card has something to do in disaplaying and loading the decimated objects? So if my graphics card is low end , is that why i have problems?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

The graphics card has the 3d data for the items in your scene - when you decimate that data has to be updated. That doesn't explain why that, and not loading a figure in the first place, should cause a crash but it does mean that it isn't totally unrelated.

• nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931
    edited September 2013

I made a comment but forget it. heheh. it crashed again

Post edited by nokoteb99 on
  • nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931
    edited December 1969

Ok guys. while it does crash and take out my computer at times.
    i figured out a way to decimate quite a bit without my computer crashing badly.

1. Dock Decimator
    2. When you first open up demator don't rush and click, slowly move mouse and then wait 4 seconds on top of the button but don't click. then click Prepare to Decimate.

3. Then same thign when entering percentage resolution wait like 4 seconds to press return.
    4. That's pretty much all i had to do. Move slowly and wait 4 seconds to click things

5. And one more thing. Quit and Restart DAZ Studio after each character you decimate.

While still occasional crash , yesterday i was decimating alot of characters withou crashing.

• MajesticMajestic Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

I just bought Decimator. I tried about 10 times to decimate a model, with it crashing each time…until I saw this. The “4 second” rule seems to work. Where has it written my LOD file though? I can’t find it.

My config is iMac with 32GB RAM, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 running OS X 10.9.1. The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Majestic said:
    I just bought Decimator. I tried about 10 times to decimate a model, with it crashing each time…until I saw this. The “4 second” rule seems to work. Where has it written my LOD file though? I can’t find it.

My config is iMac with 32GB RAM, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 running OS X 10.9.1. The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB.

You can find reference to it on the Parameters Tab under Mesh resolution.
    I suspect like other items, it has made it but not saved it. To save it I've been exporting out .obj files.

• MajesticMajestic Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Thanks Patience, I was expecting it to create a file but I see it's held in memory until you do an export (to .fbx in my case) - which makes sense.

I have a simple workaround for this issue if anyone has a similar problem: just load Windows on your Mac and run Decimator there! Your .daf models will import without any issues and Decimator works beautifully. You can then export to .fbx and go back to OS X.

• I think everysingle person who is running the decimator on the Mac has the same issue. Access violation means that something in the program is overstepping their bondaries when accessing memory. They should fix this already. It's really annoying having to reopen Daz 15 times in order to decimate a single piece of clothing.

PS:I'm sorry to say this but Installing a brand new operating system on your machine is not a simple workaround.

• pruggipruggi Posts: 151

Agree completely with dromano11... why is this not fixed yet? And installing a new OS is a ludacris solution for an extension that costs so much.

Personally, this leaves me really unsettled. For an extension that costs 99$ at base price, I find it in quite bad taste that it never ever gets updated or fixed for Mac. This crash has been present for, well, ages - and has never been fixed or updated. When a customer spends that much on a product, you expect at least a tiny bit of support for it... sad really. I bought this ages ago, and just can't deal with the constant crashes (as dromano mentioned, sometimes it crashes 10-15 times before you can even decimate a hat) - so just gave up on it and use other solutions within Unity. The point is though, why continue to offer this at such a price when it is never seems to be updated or fixed... if it was free or open source that would be one thing, but at that price it should be supported... ok my small rant is done, just that this issue has always bugged me.

• rav4rav4 Posts: 96

Sorry to hear this. But thanks for saving me from buying it today. Even on sale, doesn't seem worth it for mac users.

• Mac user here thinking of buying Decimator. No known issues are reported here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/10673/start#known_issues

What OSX version is recommended? I run 10.12.6 (Sierra)

• mike_from_nzmike_from_nz Posts: 113

Mac user here thinking of buying Decimator. No known issues are reported here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/10673/start#known_issues

What OSX version is recommended? I run 10.12.6 (Sierra)

Mac user here. Don't do it! Has to be the worst performing plugin/script I have purchased from Daz. Really disappointed and yes tried every workaround published.